“Second visit and standards have dropped” 3 of 5 stars

BOOK EARLY, SAVE MORE!
Ranked #13 of 100 Hotels in Langkawi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Second visit and standards have dropped”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We visited originally in 2007/8, and had an amazing time, we were eager to return this Christmas, but were disappointed the find standards had dropped. Staff were "relaxed" and hotel looked a bit shabby. Staff in the Boat House Bar didn't know whether they were coming or going, and certainly needed more help. The area is outstandingly beautiful and the island is charming, but we have no plans to return. It wasn't awful, just OK.

Room Tip: The rainforest chalets were good and enjoyed the sounds of forest whilst lying in bed.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
ChrisNBLR, General Manager at Berjaya Langkawi Resort - Malaysia, responded to this review, February 8, 2014

Greetings from Berjaya Langkawi Resort.

Thank you very much for the review after your recent stay with us.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the shortcomings experienced. Rest assured we always place our guest comfort and satisfaction as our utmost priority and will endeavour to maintain both our service delivery and our product. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback as it helps us gauge where we need to further make the needed improvements.

I have since shared your comments with the rest of the department heads and will ensure that we continue to scrutinize all aspects of our operations to ensure that we improve.

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us directly if we can assist with anything else. We do look forward to be able to serve you again.

Berjaya Langkawi Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (820)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the berjaya resort after shelling out 1000 MYR per night on a over the water chalet after being sold on thier uninterrupted views of the ocean. Sadly we arrived to a chalet in a cluster of 6 chalets all of which had uninterrupted views of eachothers chalets.

First day there we had a shower and the whole bathroom flooded, so I informed the hotel reception and headed out for the day. Upon our return the room was clean and we had a cookie and thought all was well.

Next shower it all backed up again, so back to the lobby I went in person this time with photos just in case they did not understand me. After plenty of nodding I again headed out for dinner.

Next shower no improvement, this time I waltzed down to chat to the manager, and given that I was checking out the next day I was fairly annoyed at having to bath everytime I have a shower.

The manager was quick to apologise as all good managers are trained to do, but then proceeded to tell me that no complaint had been logged and unless I told them about it there was nothing they could do. I pointed out mr noddy and ms cookie and explained how much I was paying and how shocking it was to have not been fixed yet.

By this time it was 6pm the night before I checked out and I was leaving at 5am, the manager offered us a different chalet to which I responded not to bother as I would be out at 6am the next morning. I also told him not to bother sending someone to fix it as we needed to get some sleep.

We grabbed some dinner at the Chinese restaurant, which was amazing, and when we got back to the chalet there was a guy with boots off pulling a shampoo bottle out of the drain.

We had our first non bath shower for 3 days and headed to bed ready for our early rise. The manager though decided to call us to let us know all was fixed at 11pm.

Although I gave berjaya feedback outlining my displeasure, no contact or offer of reimbursement has been received.

Such a pity that this lovely Island had to be marred by this terrible establishment.

• Stayed November 2013
ChrisNBLR, General Manager at Berjaya Langkawi Resort - Malaysia, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Guest,

Greetings from berjaya Langkawi Resort.

Thank you very much for giving us a review after your recent stay.
Firstly, on behalf of the Management, please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences experienced when you were here with us.

This is not the usual standards we are accustomed to and as a resultof this, we have failed to meet your expectations.
I have discussed this with our Maintenance Manager and he has since addressed this serious issue with his team, resulting in disciplinary action being taken aginst the staff concerned.
He has also assured me that all rectification works carried out in future will be of the highest quality by implementing stringent counter checking procedures.

Rest assured, our guest comfort and satisfaction is always our utmost priority and we will endeavour to maintain this at all times.

We do look forward to having you stay with us again to demonstrate that this was indeed a rare and unfortunate oversight on our part. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us directly if we can assist with anything else.

Kiev, Ukraine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stood there for 11 nights. There's good and bad. Overall, people are very friendly with a lack of service consistency given the location where it's difficult to source sufficiently qualified people. The location as such is stunning and the compound huge. We saw the most exotic birds and 3m long varans and small sharks and what not in the blossoming green arena of the hotel. The beach as such is indeed lovely with the green mountains at the back, the sea clean - not transparent though. You will struggle to get any sort of sunshade since there are too few. No service at the beach, long-chairs and mats in pure condition and the beach bar rather a disgrace. The gym is indeed a ran-down jungle (Jungle-gym) and filthy. The central hall is worth a 3-start hotel and you feel a bit like in a souk. We were lucky getting an upgrade to a water bungalow (1524) which was excellent. The Thai restaurant is good food with lovely location. Don't expect fresh fruit juices with some rare exceptions. Hardly ever any fresh coconut and so on.

Room Tip: We were lucky to get upgraded to a "water bungalow" 1524 which was excellent indeed. Howev...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Nagoya, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Stayed here for only 2 nights which my husband and I later were thankful for. Two days was enough to experience Langkawi and then get on to our next destination (Koh Lipe). The hotel reminded me of a chain resort in the Caribbean or Mexico - you go for the weather, not the experience.

The service here was bad from the beginning: the front desk isn't well-managed and the staff not good at explaining how the resort works (how to get beach towels/beach chairs/when reservations are needed for restaurants, etc), the wifi connection isn't explained up front and happens to be quite finicky, and the majority of the staff throughout the resort looks like they want to all quit their jobs. If you want answers to any questions, you have to directly seek them out. Like, "Ok, I made a reservation, so where the heck is the Thai restaurant, anyway??"

I enjoyed the resort for the people watching, for the weather, and the views, but that's about it. Perhaps a good place for a family vacation, as the other reviews have suggested, but don't come here as honeymooners if you can help it. Head to a Thai island instead!

Room Tip: Some jungle chalets have nice views of the water through the trees. 2126 was at the end of one of th...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
ChrisNBLR, General Manager at Berjaya Langkawi Resort - Malaysia, responded to this review, January 14, 2014

Greetings from Berjaya Langkawi Resort.

Thank you very much for the review after your recent stay.
First and foremost, please accept our sincerest apologies for the shortfall in our service delivery. It was indeed a rare oversight on our part and by no means an excuse for not making sure that we make the needed improvements.

Rest assured, I have since addressed this with the rest of the department heads and will ensure that this is not repeated.

We do look forward to be able to serve you again in future to demonstrate that we are indeed capable of much more. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us if we can assist with anything else.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Came here forward 2 nights for my honeymoon. Thought the chalet on stilts would be a romantic setting for our honeymoon. But was very disappointed.
This is classed as a 5 star resort, and yes it certainly does have a lot of facilities & activities available, but there is no luxury and service is very, very poor.
From the moment we checked in we got a negative vibe, unfriendly people at front desk not creating a warm welcome. Not once did anyone even say 'welcome to Berjaya'. Especially considering we had a note on our file saying we were on our honeymoon, it would have been nice to get some kind of a welcome.
The resort is in a beautiful location and is very spread out over a large area. As such, you need to get a buggy to and from the lobby several times a day whenever your coming & going from your room. This at times can be quite a wait, which is very frustrating.
The rooms are spacious and clean, but are a little dated and certainly don't feel luxurious in any way.
Ate at the main lobby restaurant and had breakfast at the beach restaurant. Both meals very average.
Appropriate for a family holiday, but don't have high expectations for anything beyond that.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
ChrisNBLR, General Manager at Berjaya Langkawi Resort - Malaysia, responded to this review, January 13, 2014

Greetings from Berjaya Langkawi Resort.

Thank you very much for giving us a review after your recent stay.
On behalf of my team and I, please allow me to personally apologise for the inconveniences experienced during your stay. This is of course not an encounter a guest should have to be faced with, let alone during their honeymoon.
I have shared your comments with the entire reception team and my Front Office Manager has since assured me that this will not be repeated.

Once again, we do apoloigise for the shortfall in our service delivery during your honeymoon.
Rest assured, our guest comfort and satisfaction is always our utmost priority.

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us directly if we can assist with anything else. We certainly look forward to having you stay with us again.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We are about to end our stay for honeymoon at Berjaya in Jan 2014.

The resort itself is set in a beautiful rainforest surroundings. We stayed in a premier chalet which was set on land just overlooking water. The room itself is nice, but the beds could do with a upgrade.

For the luxury we have to come to expect at 5 star Asian resorts we were disappointed by the staff. Checkin was slow and service is poor. The breakfast buffet and dinner is very average. The shuttle service can also vary hugely from no wait to 30 mins.

That said, the berjaya is a nice place to stay and would definitely consider revising with a family. For honeymoon, I'd recommend paying extra and staying at one of the resorts in datai bay or more exclusive.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights, and overall we enjoyed ourselves. However, there are areas that could be improved that would make it a much better experience.

1. We had issues using the phone, which meant we couldn't connect to the activities desk, room service, or to book a shuttle. One of the staff admitted there were phone system issues when I complained.

2. Restaurant bookings - we actually couldn't get into the Thai restaurant as it was fully booked. After missing out the first night, I rang the next day to try and prebook it, but it was booked out for the remaining three nights. This was also an issue with the beach restaurant, which left us with Chinese or buffet as our dining options.

3. Pool area - there are not enough chairs. People arrive early in the morning, place their stuff on the loungers, and then keep it for the full day. That meant if you arrived at the pool at 10am, you were out of luck for a seat until after dinner.

4. New Years Function - we checked out New Year's Eve, however for the four days we were there, half of the beach area was closed off as they prepared for the function. This meant there was no view from the pool, and spoiled the experience a little.

I enjoyed the location and the room. And seeing hornbills, monkeys and flying squirrels was great. However I would avoid it over this busy period. We stopped by many other resorts during our stay and they didn't seem to be as busy.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Berjaya Langkawi Resort !
Thank you for giving us a review after your recent stay.
It is with such feedback that gives us the opportunity in gauging where we stand with our service delivery and product.

On this occasion, we do apologise for the inconveniences experienced with the faulty phone and also the dinner set up. We always try our level best to arrive at the best possible solution and unfortunately on this occasion, we seem to have fallen slight short of your expectations.
Rest assured, we will certainly study the incidents in greater detail to make the necessary improvements.

Berjaya Langkawi Resort

Been to Berjaya Langkawi Resort - Malaysia? Share your experiences!