“Overall great, some mixed feelings!” 4 of 5 stars

BOOK EARLY, SAVE MORE!
Ranked #13 of 100 Hotels in Langkawi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bracknell, Berkshire, UK
“Overall great, some mixed feelings!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have just spent one night at the Berjaya amongst other hotels in Langkawi - Overall we really enjoyed our stay and the resort is very unique. We really enjoyed the novelty of staying in the rainforest and seeing all the wildlife around us, and also enjoyed the morning nature walk with our helpful and knowledgable guide. The resort facilities were also really nice, great views and nice pools. We had a lovely meal at the Thai restaurant which is on a jetty over the sea and underneath is all lit up so you can watch barracuda and other fish swimming around below!

Having said all of that the resort is huuuge and all of the accommodation is so far from the main complex of pools and restaurants, this means that noisy minivan type vehicles ferry guests to and from their chalets all day and evening. The vehicles themselves chuck out loads of exhaust smoke as they chug up the hills to the chalets and you can't help but think it would be better to find a more environmentally friendly way to do this seeing as so much rainforest had to be cleared to actually build the resort!

Still a small gripe considering how much we enjoyed staying here and we chose to walk to the pool/restaurant rather than use the bus which also meant we saw more wildlife!

Overall defiantly worth staying here!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (821)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

11 days spent in this resort. Experience is as follows:

Check in: slow and cumbersome though we arrived between 1-2pm which was likely busy with check out also. Felt 'processed' rather than welcomed.

Room (rainforest chalet) is average size. Missed not having a bathrobe. Toiletries are rather bland. Comfortable bed. Aircon didn't always work. Nice location in middle of nature. We found shuttle bus service very efficient and never had to wait.
Very lacking in 'in room' info on resort facilities - map would be helpful and attractions in local area. Newly Renovated spa - quite expensive and poorly signposted/promoted. A sign at spa mentioned re-opening 'special offers/discounts' but couldn't see what these offers were anywhere.

Lobby / main bar / main restaurant are all very open plan with high ceilings thus fans not so efficient if you are particularly keen on staying cool - this could be a discomfort.

Facilities: good but overall I felt they needed a good deep clean eg pool bar, lobby toilets.

Beach; lovely, quiet / peaceful. Comfy sun loungers. Towels often threadbare though.
Best sunsets are to be enjoyed in cenang - inexpensive taxi ride away.

Staff/service : highly inconsistent and mostly poor I am sorry to say. Not looking for a Ritz Carlton standard but basic service is lacking. Again I felt staff tended more towards 'processing' your order than recognising that this is your holiday and a proactive attitude towards serving your customer is expected / appreciated. Bar service in lobby is atrocious. At beach cafe we were halfway through eating starter when main course was served up. constantly had to wave to staff for attention/ another drink. In lobby bar I saw a table of 6 politely waving at counter (4 staff on duty - not a busy evening) to attract attention. Eventually they left. I saw several examples of poor service and lost revenue making opportunities over the 11 days.

Some staff were very good. Accommodation staff are very friendly. Car hire ladies also. But overall there is a distinct lack of management presence.

I'd grade this as a satisfying 3 star hotel but with potential to do much better. I've certainly stayed (in Langkawi) and other comparable resorts and enjoyed far greater service and value, leaving a more memorable experience. It was fine but aside from its lovely hillside location in the midst of nature - it was really quite unremarkable.

• Stayed May 2013
KL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We spent 4 days at the resort. We booked the chalet under time share membership. This was our second family visit to the resort. The stay previous year was let down by the renovation work in the hotel, and we did suffered the 4 days without air conditional and heated water. We pity the technician spent lots of time sweating to solve the problem, but no luck.

This time, we are here again as we love this place, the resort and the beach. After communicating with the GM, we were very happy to received by a Japanese manageress. She was very helpful, and also allow us to upgrade to a sea-view resort. In the evening, we were surprised to receive a small cake, written "welcome back".

The service has always been very good. The shuttle between rooms to lobby is on call basis, will usually arrive within minutes. The driver will also help in moving some luggage to the chalet. To be fair, we always carry our luggage as we can. However we also seen some very demanding ppl having many big luggage bags, and two empty hands waiting the driver to deliver all the big bags, and until the last small piece of handbag. Perhaps the shuttle vehicle should also change to clean energy, to avoid the exhaust in such an beautiful resort.

This is definitely the best resort I have stayed in so far. Amenities are good, no problem with any kind of service, perhaps if the water sport can start earlier in the morning will be better. All the activities under the same roof can be billed to the room, so we can enjoy outing in the pool and sea without any worry. We definitely will come back again, hope to see more progress and improvement.I would highly recommend this hotel, especially to couples. And book early for discount of up to 30%.

Room Tip: Sea-view chalet is excellent, but rainforest can be nice too. Please do not feed monkeys and wild an...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Berjaya is in a brilliant spot on Pulau Langkawi, and is really a township in itself - there's something like 500 rooms here and it takes up a huge corner of the island. There's a private beach, nice pool, four restaurants, bars etc - all the stuff you'd expect from a big resort, but you certainly wouldn't book here if you were expecting a boutique experience. A bus service shuttles people around the resort - a nice alternative if you get tired of walking in the humidity - most of the rooms are a reasonable distance from the restaurants/pools/beach. Rooms wise, we booked an ocean-view studio, but when we arrived in our room, the 'ocean view' was actually a severely obstructed glimpse of the water, through the rainforest (we were probably 150 or so metres from the water). To Berjaya's credit, when we complained about this, we were moved to a room with an actual view of the water - I'm not sure how many rooms would be incorrectly labelled like this, but it's worth asking upon booking. The only downside to our very clean and comfortable new room was the fact it shared an adjoining door with the room next door - and soundproofing clearly is not a concept Berjaya put much consideration into. A young family were staying next door, and general conversations they were having were clearly audible, let alone the children's occasional crying/yelling that kept us awake/woke us up several times. The one huge win for this resort is its brand-new day spa (it actually opened whilst we were there). It's not cheap, but the facilities and service were top-notch. Overall, we did enjoy our stay, and were generally pleased with the service we received. Would I stay here again? Maybe, but I'd probably try one of Langkawi's other resorts first - whilst I was far from unpleased, I wasn't 'wowed' by my stay either.

Room Tip: Make sure that if you want an 'ocean view' you stipulate this when booking - the nature of t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

As an Irishman, I didn't think it was possible but this resort actually made going for a drink feel like a chore!

After reading some of the excellent reviews here we were expecting a good 4 / 5 star experience, nothing exceptional, but mainly a pleasant stay, however what we got were facilities that varied between 2 and 4 star standard, combined with service that was just outright terrible in most of the restaurants/bars.

The receptionists were quite friendly and helpful, although you got the impression they were over worked. While the girl that works on the activities desk was also very helpful and friendly.

To try and make this constructive in relation to the bar and restaurant side of things, I'll detail my comments on each dining area we experienced:

Beach Restaurant:
Staff are very poorly trained, we dined there on three occasions and had the same experience each time. At no stage during your meal were you asked if everything was alright or if you wanted anything extra, this was common across almost everywhere we dined in the resort. If you wanted an extra drink or anything extra you had to flag down staff, and I mean literally as they were actively trying not to make eye contact or walk near customers. There was no sense of any manager present either, and again this was across the board in the hotel, over the course of a week i didn't see one person who appeared to be a manager. Food was fair but not great, about 3 star standard. Lovely location but the restaurant itself feels very dated.

Dayang Cafe,
We ate at the buffet here, we had a number of buffet dinners included in our package and didn't use half of them! We went on the carvery themed night, we were the second people in after opening and the meat was already cold!

Chinese Restaurant,
It is a function room with a few Chinese themed decorations, no atmosphere whatsoever. Service again very very poor. Food ok-ish but you'd get better from your local Chinese take away.

Main Bar
This was hands down the worst service in the hotel. One night when I asked if they were serving food, they said "maybe"! The lady then proceeded to look over a banister to the restaurant underneath and told me that I could order food but there would be a long wait as the restaurant was busy. Firstly the restaurant in question is mainly a buffet style restaurant with a minority of a la carte, so the chefs wouldn't be that busy! Secondly the restaurant wasn't overly busy anyway. Thirdly a bar is either serving food or it's not!!!! She actively tried to stop me from ordering, repeated that I'd be waiting a long time, but I was happy to wait sure I was on holidays and had a cocktail to keep me entertained..... it ended up being a very reasonable 15 minutes, leaving me with the feeling she was just too lazy to take an order! That same evening, with only ourselves and a group of 6 at another table in the bar we could see the other table actively waving at the waiters to come over and take an order as their first round was finished. There were 4 staff in the bar, but the group decided to leave after waiting about 15 minutes. I know they could have gone over to order, but still this is meant to be a 4/5 star resort, there were 4 staff on and not one of them was willing to check on their customers. Also they REALLY need to sort out the sound for the bands playing here, as someone who loves music I wanted to enjoy a few drinks and listen to a band a couple of evenings but the sounds was so bad, really muffled, both times I tried that I left after one drink, in one case it was actually half a drink.

Sports Bar
We came across one very good girl in here, welcoming, warm and good customer service. Although the other nights when she wasn't on the service was again awful. The place was generally very quiet so when you went in it felt like the staff were really annoyed that they were actually going to have to do something.

Beach Cafe:
Service here was actually pretty good, very casual but they at least checked that your meal was ok and if you had an empty glass they asked if you wanted a fresh drink.

We actually considered booking into a different hotel half way through our stay even though we had prepaid in full. We settled on renting a car and spending as much time away from the resort as possible. Incidentally the girl that looks over the car rental was very nice, professional and genuinely helpful. We did come across their lovely looking Thai restaurant after this but didn't take the risk based on our experience elsewhere in the hotel.

As someone who works in the hotel industry I am very quick to forgive poor service as I understand what can happen behind the scenes to cause delays or put staff under pressure etc, however I could not defend or forgive the service we experienced. There was no shortage of staff in any area that we dined, there were no delays in food getting to your table so no apparent problems behind the scenes, the problem with the service here was a fundamental lack of understanding as to what customer service is! They seem trained to process rather than provide genuine hospitality.

There are much better hotels in Langkawi for similar prices if not a good bit cheaper, we've had the pleasure to stay in one, and we also visited a number of others for food when we gave up on eating in the Berjaya.

• Stayed April 2013
Noel V, General Manager at Berjaya Langkawi Resort - Malaysia, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
It is disheartening to note of the poor service levels you experienced especially in some of our dining outlets. As a fellow hotelier, I am appreciative of your candid comments which have mostly been constructive and insightful. Your various remarks have been scrutinized and actions taken to correct them. There is a new F&B team in place and concerted efforts are being made to improve on the service levels. Please accept my apology for the shortcomings.
With my best regards
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We spent 4 days at the resort. We booked a Sea View Chalet, but on arrival we were upgraded to a Premiere Chalet. This is definitely the best resort I have stayed in so far. It was off season, however the hotel was over-booked and we were a little sceptical about the service, however there no problem whatsoever with any kind of service. The swimming pool, the beach, the restaurants, the live bands...it was brilliant!! We definitely intend to visit this resort again in the near future and this time for a much longer stay. For me this resort is all aces!! I would highly recommend this hotel, especially to couples.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Scarborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

The resort is wonderful, very clean, spacious and borderline exotic with the huts. The staff were all first class and couldn't do enough. We upgraded to a sea view chalet which I am pleased we did. Food was exquisite especially the beach restaurant which was exceptional value for the quality received. You are 25 mins from chenang beach so eating out etc will cost approx £7 in a taxi, we enjoyed being out of the hustle and bustle in the day but ate out most of the time on an evening. The only criticism of the whole stay were the pool toilets which were dirty and broken, however the beach ones were excellent and very close

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Berjaya Langkawi Resort - Malaysia? Share your experiences!