“Badly let down by EXTREMELY poor service” 2 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Burau Bay, Langkawi 07000, Malaysia   |
Special Offer
12 Treats of Christmas
Ranked #10 of 96 Hotels in Langkawi
“Badly let down by EXTREMELY poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

As an Irishman, I didn't think it was possible but this resort actually made going for a drink feel like a chore!

After reading some of the excellent reviews here we were expecting a good 4 / 5 star experience, nothing exceptional, but mainly a pleasant stay, however what we got were facilities that varied between 2 and 4 star standard, combined with service that was just outright terrible in most of the restaurants/bars.

The receptionists were quite friendly and helpful, although you got the impression they were over worked. While the girl that works on the activities desk was also very helpful and friendly.

To try and make this constructive in relation to the bar and restaurant side of things, I'll detail my comments on each dining area we experienced:

Beach Restaurant:
Staff are very poorly trained, we dined there on three occasions and had the same experience each time. At no stage during your meal were you asked if everything was alright or if you wanted anything extra, this was common across almost everywhere we dined in the resort. If you wanted an extra drink or anything extra you had to flag down staff, and I mean literally as they were actively trying not to make eye contact or walk near customers. There was no sense of any manager present either, and again this was across the board in the hotel, over the course of a week i didn't see one person who appeared to be a manager. Food was fair but not great, about 3 star standard. Lovely location but the restaurant itself feels very dated.

Dayang Cafe,
We ate at the buffet here, we had a number of buffet dinners included in our package and didn't use half of them! We went on the carvery themed night, we were the second people in after opening and the meat was already cold!

Chinese Restaurant,
It is a function room with a few Chinese themed decorations, no atmosphere whatsoever. Service again very very poor. Food ok-ish but you'd get better from your local Chinese take away.

Main Bar
This was hands down the worst service in the hotel. One night when I asked if they were serving food, they said "maybe"! The lady then proceeded to look over a banister to the restaurant underneath and told me that I could order food but there would be a long wait as the restaurant was busy. Firstly the restaurant in question is mainly a buffet style restaurant with a minority of a la carte, so the chefs wouldn't be that busy! Secondly the restaurant wasn't overly busy anyway. Thirdly a bar is either serving food or it's not!!!! She actively tried to stop me from ordering, repeated that I'd be waiting a long time, but I was happy to wait sure I was on holidays and had a cocktail to keep me entertained..... it ended up being a very reasonable 15 minutes, leaving me with the feeling she was just too lazy to take an order! That same evening, with only ourselves and a group of 6 at another table in the bar we could see the other table actively waving at the waiters to come over and take an order as their first round was finished. There were 4 staff in the bar, but the group decided to leave after waiting about 15 minutes. I know they could have gone over to order, but still this is meant to be a 4/5 star resort, there were 4 staff on and not one of them was willing to check on their customers. Also they REALLY need to sort out the sound for the bands playing here, as someone who loves music I wanted to enjoy a few drinks and listen to a band a couple of evenings but the sounds was so bad, really muffled, both times I tried that I left after one drink, in one case it was actually half a drink.

Sports Bar
We came across one very good girl in here, welcoming, warm and good customer service. Although the other nights when she wasn't on the service was again awful. The place was generally very quiet so when you went in it felt like the staff were really annoyed that they were actually going to have to do something.

Beach Cafe:
Service here was actually pretty good, very casual but they at least checked that your meal was ok and if you had an empty glass they asked if you wanted a fresh drink.

We actually considered booking into a different hotel half way through our stay even though we had prepaid in full. We settled on renting a car and spending as much time away from the resort as possible. Incidentally the girl that looks over the car rental was very nice, professional and genuinely helpful. We did come across their lovely looking Thai restaurant after this but didn't take the risk based on our experience elsewhere in the hotel.

As someone who works in the hotel industry I am very quick to forgive poor service as I understand what can happen behind the scenes to cause delays or put staff under pressure etc, however I could not defend or forgive the service we experienced. There was no shortage of staff in any area that we dined, there were no delays in food getting to your table so no apparent problems behind the scenes, the problem with the service here was a fundamental lack of understanding as to what customer service is! They seem trained to process rather than provide genuine hospitality.

There are much better hotels in Langkawi for similar prices if not a good bit cheaper, we've had the pleasure to stay in one, and we also visited a number of others for food when we gave up on eating in the Berjaya.

• Stayed April 2013
Noel V, General Manager at Berjaya Langkawi Resort - Malaysia, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
It is disheartening to note of the poor service levels you experienced especially in some of our dining outlets. As a fellow hotelier, I am appreciative of your candid comments which have mostly been constructive and insightful. Your various remarks have been scrutinized and actions taken to correct them. There is a new F&B team in place and concerted efforts are being made to improve on the service levels. Please accept my apology for the shortcomings.
With my best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (720)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We spent 4 days at the resort. We booked a Sea View Chalet, but on arrival we were upgraded to a Premiere Chalet. This is definitely the best resort I have stayed in so far. It was off season, however the hotel was over-booked and we were a little sceptical about the service, however there no problem whatsoever with any kind of service. The swimming pool, the beach, the restaurants, the live bands...it was brilliant!! We definitely intend to visit this resort again in the near future and this time for a much longer stay. For me this resort is all aces!! I would highly recommend this hotel, especially to couples.

Scarborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

The resort is wonderful, very clean, spacious and borderline exotic with the huts. The staff were all first class and couldn't do enough. We upgraded to a sea view chalet which I am pleased we did. Food was exquisite especially the beach restaurant which was exceptional value for the quality received. You are 25 mins from chenang beach so eating out etc will cost approx £7 in a taxi, we enjoyed being out of the hustle and bustle in the day but ate out most of the time on an evening. The only criticism of the whole stay were the pool toilets which were dirty and broken, however the beach ones were excellent and very close

• Stayed April 2013
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Just returned from spending 8 nights at this gorgeous resort. Very clean chalets and great variety of restaurants. We initially booked the premier chalet on land which offered stunning views over the bay but after 4 nights we asked to move to a rainforest studio chalet to experience the rainforest and monkeys. Both chalet types were lovely but the rainforest studio was double the use and newly refurbished with huge bathroom and lounge area plus they are a cheaper option. The breakfast buffet has a great variety except obviously bacon and the Thai restaurant over the water was divine. You need to get hotel shuttles from your chalet to the lobby and pool area but we never had to wait long. The day spa has just opened after refurbishment and whilst more expensive than those in the town areas the setting was lovely.
The hotel is about a 15-20 minute taxi ride to one of the main area chenang beach but cost only 26 ringgit which is about $9. It is however only a 10 minute walk to the Oriental Village and cable car and if the heat and humidity is too much then the hotel offers a free shuttle service to the village.
The only two small negatives was the pool closed at 9pm so if you had a late dinner you couldn't swim afterwards and whilst they offer a large range of cocktails I only like creamy cocktails such as fluffy duck, toblerone etc and they didn't have any creamy cocktails except piña colada. These are very small negatives and we would definitely stay again. Shallini at reception was the best and she was always happy to assist us with a smile. In summary beautiful place, lovely people nod great service.

Room Tip: Try the rainforest studio, they are double the size of all the other chalets and ask for a separate...
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We spent 4 nights at Berjaya resort. I had booked a family rainforest chalet for the 4 of us but on arrival we were upgraded to a sea view chalet with interconnecting rooms that was very close to the pool. It was a lovely location and the space inside the chalet was adequate for us. The chalets do look a bit 'rustic' or run down from the outside but ours was done very nicely inside with quality fittings. I was really impressed with how nice the staff were. The variety of activities and facilities at the resort is exceptional with everything available from kayaks to xBox. The pool was interesting with waterfall, rocks, swim-up bar and plenty of staff around. The main swimming beach is a short walk from the pool and there are plenty of activities for hire on offer such as banana boat, jet skis etc. (Also check out the jetski rentals on Cenang beach if you are intending to hire). I thought the breakfast buffet at the hotel was good though a bit pricey. The Indian restaurant was very relaxing and food tasty. The food at the Thai restaurant was excellent but the staff could have been more pleasant. Amongst the guests, there was a good feeling of mutual respect and a nice cultural mix with no single nationality predominating. We rented a car through the hotel and I would really recommend this as it was simple to drive around to local beauty spots. The most surprising thing about the resort for me was how much land it covered. I am not sure I would have enjoyed my stay half as much had our chalet been located further away from the main areas. However, the trade-off for being so close to the main areas is that there is a constant flow of staff riding motor bikes past the chalet right through the night. This was the only real negative for me though it didn't seem to bother my husband or kids. Overall, a really great stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

After recommendation from a travel agency and looking at reviews booked for 6nights for our last leg of our honeymoon. Staying in the chalet above the water at around 500aud per night we were anticipating luxury, however this is NOT a five star resort. I would say it's a 3star resort with its dated bedrooms, ordinary service and food. After spending 2 weeks in 5 star hotels around different countries before this leg of the honeymoon we could see the difference in standards.The rainforest brackdrop and spaciousness of the resort environment was beautiful. The beach is grainy and nothing as beautiful as back home in Sydney. Best part of Langkawi, seeing the island on a scooter. Stayed out more than in.

Room Tip: if staying above the water room 1505 unobstructed views of the sea
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed in April which is a quiet time, and a number of Langkawi's attractions were closed for maintenance e.g.chair lift. However, the upside was cheap accomodation. We got a wonderful deal on-line and stayed in a chalet near the water. For the price we paid it was incredible.
Beach was beautiful, buffet at breakfast was fresh and varied, the shuttle was prompt, and the Thai restaurant out on the jetty was lovely. Staff were as friendly and helpful as they could be!
The king bed had a feather top on the mattress, and also feather pillows...quality additions.
Only slight issue was that reception tried to give us a lower grade room (jungle chalet) on arrival, but when I explained that my paperwork described a premier chalet, it was sorted out.

Room Tip: Try for over water chalets as the resort is hugh, and being up the back in the jungle didn't see...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Berjaya Langkawi Resort - Malaysia? Share your experiences!