I have thought long and hard about writing this review as I had a problem with my stay this time. The main issue was the meal our group of 17 had at the Captain's Grill that took a good 2 hours to be served. We waited and waited whilst the chef struggled to produce a half decent meal. In the mean time other patrons who arrived later were served, ate and left. This was the final insult. (see my review of Captain's Grill)
Having said that, I lodged a complaint with Starwood Management and to their credit, we received an apology for the bad service from the Local management which they stated was not the norm. They also made further amends to the group. The "Dear Guest" note from the manager of F & B giving his feeble excuse was less than impressive .
Now back to the hotel in General.
The hotel is old and very tired. It is in need of renovations. Things have not changed since my last visit 10 years ago. The rooms are large and airy but very dark. They are situated a little way from the Reception and Dining area. They provide transfers from the rooms to the reception on request. The air-conditioner struggled to keep the tropical heat out. There is a large TV, in-room safe (that is bolted down), iron and ironing board. The mini-fridge was reasonably stocked. We also had complimentary bottled water.
The bathroom was split into 2 sections. A shower and toilet. A bathtub and sink in the other. The amenities were basic, just shampoo, soap, lotion and bath gel. I was told that toothbrush and razor were only supplied on request.
There was a kettle and some coffee and tea making packets. I had to request for extra Coffee whitener and coffee sachets as there was enough for only 2 cups a day.
Free in-room and in the general area.
Reception struggled a bit with the check in as there were 17 of us. Some of the staff can multi-task whilst others were struggling to handle even a single booking.
I requested late check-out. I was given a stock answer that it was subject to availability which I can appreciate. What I did not expect was that there would be a charge of MYR30/- an hour. I was certainly annoyed as I had provided my Gold Starwood card at check in. This entitled me to free late check out. I was also informed that only certain Starwood Chains honoured that commitment!
I was able to resolve most of my issues through Valerie Ong, the Rooms Division Manager. She was very helpful in ensuring that I had late check-out without charge and in sorting out the mess with the Captain's Grill.
Raj or Uvarajah Krishnasamy, Guest Services Manager was always very helpful and supportive of all of us. He is always smiling and made sure we had restaurant bookings, an umbrella if there was rain and transfers to the rooms.
Over all the general and room service staff were all very good.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Langkawi Beach Hotel Langkawi
- Sheraton Langkawi Beach Hotel
- Sheraton Langkawi
- Langkawi Sheraton
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort.Located on the north western shore of Peninsular Malaysia, an ancient group of islands collectively known as Pulau Langkawi awaits you. Our resort is nestled amidst 38 acres of spacious, lush tropical surroundings with private beach coves. Whether you crave an exciting escape or a peaceful sanctuary – you will find it in Langkawi. The resort is just a short 10-minute car ride from Langkawi International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Orbitz, Travelocity, Tingo, Expedia, HotelTravel.com, AsiaRooms, Otel, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.