“More wildlife here than in the national parks!” 4 of 5 stars

Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Teluk Nibong, Langkawi 07000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #37 of 98 hotels in Langkawi
Alexandria, VA, USA
“More wildlife here than in the national parks!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay here. The hotel is located right on the water, but also in the midst of a lush jungle. Each room was part of a 4-room bungalow, and the bungalows were spread throughout the resort. You could walk around a lot or you could get the hotel to use their mini shuttle/golf cart to pick you up and take you to the main hotel area. I liked the walking, as we got to see so much interesting wildlife. Monkeys everywhere, amazing birds, and even a 3 foot lizard! Having just come from Taman Negara and not seeing a single animal there, I was really happy to be at the Sheraton.

The room was great, really clean, and luxurious, like you'd expect from a Sheraton Resort. And you can't beat the infinite pool overlooking the water.

Only drawback was the food. It's great compared to everything back home, but after coming from Penang, it just couldn't compete.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear NinaB703,

Thank you very much for this wonderful review, which we value very much.

We are extremely pleased that you choose to stay with us and our best reward was that you had an enjoyable time !

Our resort is home to some of the wildlife and it is indeed an interesting scene watching them play especially in a close distance.

We value the positives as well as appreciate the improvement opportunities. I am certain that our Food & Beverage Team will strive to improve the food we offer to provide quality as well as variety for our guests to enjoy.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We would be absolutely delighted to have the opportunity to welcoming you again in the future.

Warm regards

1,167 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Shanghai, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

This place is not only run down; it's down right filthy! They leave food out overnight in hallways so the monkeys scavenge and spread the mess; their cigarette burned, stained red velvet seats in the 'outdoor bar' should have been dumped several years ago. I honestly would not chance sitting on them as I'd be afraid I'd catch something. The gym equipment was rusted and the air conditioner was so filthy I left after 10minutes as I could feel dirt and dust in my throat. we cut out stay from 6 days till 3 and that was only because it took 3 days to find an available alternative. Even the beach is set in a bay where filthy brown water washes in. Definitely NOT swimmable!

The ONLY positives were
1. the few staff we came into contact with - Valery who was understanding and supportive plus 2 pool bar staff
2. beds were actually comfy and we slept well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Galesloots,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments.

It is with regret that your stay with us was not to your expectations. I apologize for your experience and the inconvenience caused. I would like to assure you that the maintenance and cleanliness issues you raised, have been taken seriously by our management team and will be acted upon.

Meanwhile, I will also ensure that our guests are advised at check in to contact Guest Services for room service clearing and avoid leaving the leftovers outside their room.

Despite the shortfalls, many thanks for your positive comments on the service you received and our comfortable bed.

Again, thank you very much for your constructive feedback and comments. We hope you will give us an opportunity to make improvements and let us welcome you back. If I can be of further assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me at kumar.renoo@sheraton.com.

Kind regards
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We only stayed here for 1 night and i was a little disappointed in the room. It is a big room but it was dark, not enough lighting, there was mould in the bathroom and the bathroom wall had a hole in it which had been covered by masking tape (Room 1404)
The resort is large so there is a open bus that drops you off and picks you up from the room when needed.
At night we had a drink at the Chime bar, it is a nice place to chill out and the man serving us was such a beautiful happy man! I hope he gets this message, My partner asked where I can see monkeys.. He said 1 minute and come out with a stuffed monkey toy for me to keep :)
They do not have wifi in the rooms, only in the lobby and if you have an iphone.. you will not get connected to the wifi.
We also had trouble with our room key failing to open our door & needed to be assisted with a new key 3 times. (Stressful when needing to get back into the room to pick up luggage and catch another flight)
I would probably try another hotel in Langkawi before trying the Sheraton again

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Abenson1990,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.

We value your comments and taken note that we could do better in regards to our room features and fittings for better guest experience. I apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your stay with us. Please be assured that the shortfall areas have been reviewed with team member concern for improvement.

Nevertheless, I appreciate your compliments on the service you received from our Bartender at Chime, who has made up your day as it is very motivating. Thank you.

Once again, thank you very much for your valuable feedback. If there is an opportunity for us to restore your faith in this resort, please feel free to contact me at kumar.renoo@sheraton.com.

Kind regards
Gurgaon, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stayed at Sheraton when I was on my honeymoon in Nov'2011. They upgraded my room when I reached there. Rooms were amazing with a magnificent view of ocean.
We spent 6 nights here, and it was so relaxing, refreshing, calm. Each accommodation was having its own small balcony, where you can sit and have evening tea, facing Andaman sea.
Although, sea-shore bit of a let down, as beach was not that good here. But, if we talk about Langkawi beaches, I haven't heard much about them, so one can ignore that.

Room Tip: Ask for Andaman sea side villas.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear sameer_mohan,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us.

It is a pleasure to hear that you had such a memorable experience and how impressed you were with the room assigned for you on the occasion of your honeymoon.

Many thanks for writing this review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

From the moment we drove into the resort my heart sank. I thought oh no this is not looking good. The resort is located right on the beach and spread over a vast area. It would have been wonderful in it hay day. Sadly it is very tired and neglected. Our room was a good size but dark and gloomy and needs upgrading and the bathroom ceiling was mouldy. The gardens are overgrown and the main problem I had was the footpaths were all broken and the lighting was not working. I complained three mornings in a row about the lack of lighting and said it was dangerous, I also put it in writing. Finally the manager came to speak with us and listened to all we had to say. I listed all the faults, lack of lights, rubbish laying by the bins for three days, overgrown gardens and the pool decking was so faded it looked awful.

I suggested the manager take his managers head off and walk around the resort as if he was a paying guest and see it through our eyes. He acknowledged all that I had to say. I did say that he had the best location and great staff and they were his best assets but the neglect was letting the entire resort down. He offered us an upgrade but that was not what we were about, I just wanted to come to a clean and relaxing resort as advertised.

That afternoon a group of staff cleaned up the gardens and filled up a truck with dead leaves and branches. The electrician repaired all the lighting on the footpaths, the painters painted the decking around the pool, they cleaned the roof on the pergola and removed the bag of three day old rubbish. I was told they have 230 staff, well it hardly needs three staff to hand out pool towels, maybe he needs to reassess their roles. It seems to me that it is just not managed well and the owners are not investing any money back into the hotel. Very sad to see and I will not be recommending this hotel. The photos in the brochure and on the net do not truly reflect how run down this hotel has become. I would be interested in knowing if the clean up and maintenance work continue......

Shame on the Starwood for not keeping this hotel up to standard. Luckily for us we were heading to another 5 star resort that more than lived up to all its advertising and our expectations.

Room Tip: The rooms are all spread out over the resort and they do provide transport from reception. Be aware...
Dear Clodagh01,

Many thanks for reaching out to me to voice out your concerns while you was here. I am sorry for your experience at that time. I have immediately gathered all team members on duty and together we cleaned up the beachfront as well as pathways and attended to the maintenance issues you raised to ensure our guests are not similarly disappointed.

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused on this occasion. You have my assurances that I will personally ensure cleanliness and maintenance of our guest contact areas are looked into priority for our guest’s comfort.

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

The place is very quite and if you're looking for relaxing, then this is the place, expensive a bit a not very close to the city center where the only cons of this one.
Don't bother for sea view room, you hardly will see or enjoy it. It's a villa divided into rooms so no high building to have overlook of the sea.
They have golf and other activities that might be interesting for some. The breakfast was very nice and has everything you might want.
Since this is a tropical type hotel, humidity might be a bit annoying, note that your bed won't be dry ever but that didn't stop us from having a very quite sleep except some nature sounds from the forest.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Salahunreal,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.

It is nice to hear that your recent stay at the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort was pleasant and relaxing.

Many thanks for your feedback, which we value very much.

We would be absolutely delighted to have the opportunity to welcoming you again in the near future.

Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The Resort is getting old and tired looking and the owner has not put in the investment to give it a face lift. The furnishing are "rustic" which in a way befits the natural environment of the property.The location is not ideal as it's isolated from town. If you stay here, you are stuck with the restaurants in the property. Nevertheless, it has the Sheraton service touch and the staff made sure I was looked after. I was put in a building higher up the hill with a corner room on the top floor overlooking the pool with partial view of the Andaman sea with a balcony cooled by a overhead fan. From the balcony, you are at eye level with the tree top and it's not difficult catching the local monkeys swinging from tree to tree. If you don't mind an older property but value more the natural environment with good service, I think the Sheraton is a good choice.

CG

Room Tip: Ask front desk for a well maintained room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear C G,

Thank you very much for your feedback, which we value very much. I am certain that we will improve on the points that you have highlighted.

We strive to ensure our guests had a comfortable stay and to receive feedback such as yours is very reassuring and motivating.

Once again, thank you for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm regards.

Been to Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!