“Excellent room, vesservice!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 96 Hotels in Langkawi
Langkawi
“Excellent room, vesservice!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The rooms are HUGE and are as large as apartments but the customer service does not exist! No one to help you with the bags when you check in, you need a shuttle to move from your room to the beach (small beach) and back! We ordered a bottle of water and it's been 2 hours so far and has not yet arrived! Sadly we didn't believe the bad reviews (It's a Sheraton, how bad can it be) but definitely not worth the money. We are now working on getting our money back and just checking into another resort!!

Room Tip: Book a room close to the sea/ocean, most of the rooms are very very very far from it!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear LoayAlnaji,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review.

Firstly, I must apologize for your experience and the inconvenience caused. Whilst we continually strive to provide prompt and efficient service, however I regret that we had disappointed you on this occasion.

Your feedback is much valued and appreciated. I have taken note of your comments and shared with the team concern to ensure we consistently provides the expected service for better guest experience.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to make improvements and let us welcome you back. If I can be of any further assistance in the near future, please feel free to contact me at kumar.renoo@sheraton.com.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Hi there. I am a Malaysian and grew up travelling up and down to Langkawi. I made the fatal mistake of checking in to the Sheraton Langkawi weekend Feb 2013 for what was supposed to be a relaxing getaway. Sheraton Langkawi is deceivingly listed as a 5 Star hotel. This is beyond a joke. The hotel can barely pass for a 3- star. The hotel is simply catering to mass group bookings from tourists across China and Eastern Europe. The hotel is completely run down, with damaged wooden planks around the pool, broken deck chairs and poorly maintained surroundings. Staff are trying their best but are clueless. There are long queues for check in and check out. This is NOT the paradise Langkawi you deserve. Go elsewhere on Pantai Cenang, or Andaman, or Westin Langkawi. Much better.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Debbie A,

Thank you for your review.

I am so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience at the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort. I am never proud to know that we have failed to delight a guest, but I do value and appreciate all feedbacks. Please accept my apologies for the unpleasant experience and inconvenience caused.

We have noted your comments on the maintenance issues around our pool area and the hotel surroundings. Rest assured, this has been looked into priority for our guest’s comfort as well as safety.

Again, I apologize for the disappointment. If I may be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at kumar.renoo@sheraton.com.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We received the warmest welcome from the staff! The room was clean and well serviced. The staff at the pool made the day, we enjoyed drinks and food by and in the pool daily! A special thank you to the food & beverage manager who surprised us with many treats, a romantic breakfast on the beach which had everything! We were supported by all the staff when we were wanting a place to dine and things to do, they made all the calls to book restaurants and any shopping we wanted they rang ahead as to not waste a trip. There is an array of monkeys, EVERYWHERE!!! They are harmless but leave an impression when they all come towards you. If you feed them, they want more! We enjoyed our stay, hope you do too!

Room Tip: Any room will please, with a huge bed, spacious bathroom and great views!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Angelo C,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort and taking the time to write this review.

We are extremely happy to hear you had a great stay but most importantly our associates provided personal, instinctive and professional services.

Many thanks for your kind feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

KL Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

There is no change from the 2012 comments - don't believe the management response to TripAdvisor complaints.
The Hotel Manager and his Management Team should make a career move ASAP as they are not competent or capable of operating a facility of this size. The one good thing to say about this Hotel is that the views were great probably because the managers had no control over this!
I have visited this Island at least twice a year for the past 5 years and stayed in many hotels with the same star rating, but I have never been so disappointed in the quality of service. The Managers should be ashamed to call themselves Managers with the way they control their staff and treat their guests and the way they treat the environment they are custodians of.
Check in was not a good experience as there was people all around the front desk complaining and the staff lacked people skills. It was only after I checked in that they informed me that my special accommodation requests would not be honoured i.e. a non-smoking room with a double bed. They would not provide me with a room with a double bed and the best they could do was spray a smoking room. This was after booking the room a week in advance and the hotel e-mailing me to tell me my room would be ready on arrival; why they could not have let me know in the e-mail that they had no non-smoking rooms with a double beds makes no sense to me.
The room was $432.00 p/night the mini-bar was never stocked and the condition of the fridge was filthy for the 5 days I stayed at the Hotel and almost all the sockets did not work. The floor and wall tiles in the bathroom looked as if they had never been scrubbed and the fittings in the shower had never been replaced. For the duration of my stay Staff never once checked the conditions of my room.
Breakfast was a disaster; none of the waiters were there to provide a service, if you asked someone for tea or coffee they would either disappear and not come back or if you complained that it was cold they would go away and never come back. I saw several waiters taking food from the buffet and going in the kitchen to have their breakfast. There was no one checking whether food was running out and the Kitchen Staff only started preparing food when they found the buffet had run out which created a frenzy when the food finally did materialise. The egg counter was pathetically slow; they were simply not competent in the service they were providing; the tables took forever to be cleared and then they were wiped down with dirty rag.
The bar in the Lobby Lounge was the poorest I have ever seen (this is a duty free island!), and the barman was rarely behind the bar, when he was he was more interested in phoning his buddies than serving customers and I never saw a waiter serving the tables. The lounge seating was dirty and looked as if they had never been cleaned and the lobby toilets were filthy.
The gardens looked as if they had never been maintained and were reverting back to the jungle and no maintenance performed on the outside lighting. There were canoes and a hobby cat at the pool side that had never been maintained with the undergrowth growing all around them.
Staff was not managed or supervised and quite simply allowed to do what they liked and many took advantage of the situation. There was quite a few Staff, despite the lack of management control, who tried their best to make the guests welcome but this was few and far between.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Intrepid_Traveler02,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort in this review.

I would like to apologize for the unpleasant experience and inconvenience caused during your recent stay with us. The shortfalls in our service and operation standards that you encountered are very much regretted.

Please feel free to contact me at kumar.renoo@sheraton.com as I would like to address the issues raised personally.

Meanwhile, I look forward to hear from you soon.

Aurora, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Firstly: Getting there--it is not that far from the airport so a taxi is ok. This was my first stop on a self-made highlight tour of Western Malaysia. Thanks to research on TripAdvisor I chose Langkawi 1st (by plane), Penang next (by ferry) and Kuala Lumpur last (by bus). I made no plans, booked no tours, so when I got off the plane in Langkawi, I walked over to the first tour provider I felt a connection to. He gave me a good deal: 220 Ringitts for transport to the hotel and a personal car/driver tour guide for the next day for 6 hours. So now you have something to bargain with!I
Secondly: Why Langkawi and why this hotel--I chose Langkawi first to relax and get a tan and the Sheraton because I heard from locals that I knew that it has a REAL beach. PLEASE COME TO THIS HOTEL--YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!!! The pool area is wonderful and looks like the hotel pics, and if you are brave and have LOTS of sunscreen, you can venture down to the beach and pull a chair into the shallow water and lay out. BE CAREFUL not to burn! The signs say beware of jelly fish--I saw people swimming so I ventured in, wading fist and looking for trouble, but found none, so I went in the ocean. That does not mean you should not be careful.
Thirdly: the Hotel and restaurants--the rooms are constructed on Malay style "huts" up on the hills with a large open bus as your transport there. Be patient for the shuttle, and once settled in--walk it if you can. There are about 4 rooms to each "hut". I had a snack at the restuarant at the bottom of the stairs after check-in and then breakfast there. First time, I waited and waited for my small order, and finally had to go inside and ask: the result was that the hostess took my order and did not tell the waiter. So lesson there: follow up on your order if a waiter does not take it!! I did not eat at any of the other places, so cannot comment on those.
Fourthly: The monkeys--follow the hotel policy and do not attempt to feed or get too close, but expect them to be brave enough to come up onto your porch, possibly up to your table while you are close by and steal your sugar!! If you have a zoom lens, get as close as you safely can and then zoom in for the shot.
AND THEN: Please wake up early to catch the most amazing sunrise. If you are alone, just breathe and take it in; if you are with someone, take them with you, hold their hand and kiss them when the sun comes up!! Don't forget your camera.
Special shout out to the front desk staff, the bell person at the front where you leave your luggage, and to the nice bartenders. Thanks for a short but great stay!!

Room Tip: If you want to splurge ask for an ocean view room...that way you can see the sunrise and do your kis...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear EBWgirl,

Thank you very much for your kind review.

We are delighted to know that your recent stay with us was great and most importantly you enjoyed our hospitality.

Many guests enjoy the amazing view from our pool and privacy of our beach coves that they can relax.

I was most concerned to note the delay to your food order and would like to offer my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. I do sincerely hope you will accept that your experience is certainly not reflective of our usual standards. You have my assurances that this has been discussed with those concerned to prevent any reoccurrence in the future.

Once again, thank you for choosing to stay with us for your holiday and your valuable feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Αθήνα, Ελλάδα
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 4 days on February 2012. We had one of the bungalow apartments with partial view on the beach. Our room was very big and nice decorated but needed definitely renovation, the hotel is very outdated and not worth the Sheraton name. It had well looked after garden and nice pool area with a seaview but with no service ,we had to go on the bar inside the hotel If we wanted to drink sth . The buffet breakfast was good with a variety of dishes but the ala carte menu was poor. It is located far from town in the quiet part of the island so renting a car is advisable. The staff was very helpful and polite except the travel desk that didn’t help us a lot. If you want to book any excursion don’t do it from the hotel is more expensive.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Ioanna_Ap,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.

We value our guest’s feedbacks and regularly reviews it with our team members to ensure actions have been taken to improve for guest satisfaction.

Whilst you seems happy with our room design and the service received from our hotel associates, however, I have taken your comment on board that we could do better in regards to our property maintenance to further enhance our guest experience.

We understand that many guests like to stay longer and enjoy the ambience at our pool area. In order to cater for their needs, drinks can be ordered through Chime after our Pool Bar operation hours. I apologize for the inconvenience caused and rest assured, we have our service associate to go round to provide the expected service.

Many thanks for your compliment on our buffet breakfast spread and comment on our ala carte menu offered at Feast. Rest assured, this has been share with our Chefs accordingly.

The Tour Desk located at our Hotel Lobby is run by Sala Tours & Travel. I have personally raised your comment on their unfriendly service with the Manager concern to avoid any future disappointment.

Once again, thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We hope you will give us the opportunity to make improvements and let us welcome you back.

Chennai (Madras), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

A true resort - with everything inside. If you want a break to just relax and do nothing touristy, this is the best place. A big place with cottages that are well spread out. Just sitting in the portico with coffee and experiencing the natural surroundings, is soothing. This is an old resort and the upkeep is not upto mark. When paying so steeply for the rooms, you would expect better maintenace. Due to the distance of the cotteges, service is slow. Even at time of checkin, the service is slow and the lobby gets over crowded. The resturants are nice, nothing great about the food. Local travel is expensive when you use the hotel services.

Room Tip: Always choose the cottage with sea view
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear ChenTrav,

Many thanks for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort and taking the time to write this review.

It is great to know that you had a good and relaxing stay with us. I appreciate your feedbacks in regards to our room maintenance and the service you experienced. Please accept my apologies for not exceeding your expectations on this areas. Rest assured, my team members constantly reviews guest feedbacks and take actions to improve on shortfall areas for better guest experience.

Kind regards

Been to Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!