“Wish I stayed for longer. ..” 5 of 5 stars

Family Escapade
Ranked #5 of 100 Hotels in Langkawi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
uk
“Wish I stayed for longer. ..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

What can I say this was what I expected and more, we arrived late in the evening to a awesome reception area check in was great very friendly and helpful had a nice refreshing drink and then showed to our sea view room which was very nice but a bit to small for 3 adults, because it was dark we could not see the view but woke up in the morning to a awesome view of the sea beach and the rainforest.
We ate at all of the restaurants and never had a bad meal the food is good quality and cooked to a great standard thanks to there top chefs.
After we ate most nights we would retire to the bar and listen and dance to the resident band which was awesome.
The beach was amazing never wanted for anything the staff would look after you they would come round with slices of the cold cucumber to put on your eye's and cold towels and glasses of ice cold water it do get quite hot around mid day .
If you like wildlife you will love this hotel it is all around you I personally loved the monkey's coming to my balcony but make sure you keep your b door closed they are very smart and no every trick in the book to get in and raid the fridge in the room.
We took a catamaran trip with Captain Todd for the day it was a fantastic day out went to some small islands in Thailand to do some snorkeling we also saw dolphins and porpoises and sea eagle's the food on board was 1st class supplied by the hotel, I would highly recommend this excursions.
The hotel is in a secluded location ideal for a relaxing vacation but it's still a easy place to access the rest of the island which there are some great sites and things to do.
I would like to thank the Manager Christian for a great time and even though we where looked after very well by all of the staff I would like to a very special thank you to the staff who went that extra mile and are in our hearts forever (Amil Jayasekara, Mahesh Udaya, Carol Min Sun , Celestina Mius, Rene Knudsen , Gretchen Te , Natalia Dewi , Juice Yantu Sianipar , Roni Hanabi and Roni Novillas. ...
See you next March and thank you all very much for a very memorable stay .....

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Pulborough
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We'd seen the hotel 10 years ago but never stayed, although we had promised ourselves a holiday there. Finally got around to it and it was wonderful. The surrounding rainforest and wildlife are a joy. The flying lemur that misjudged and landed on a lampshade when we had a meal on the beach and quietly climbed back into the tree was a memory to cherish. Brilliant staff always smiling. The only minor downside was the room which was adequate but getting tired and showing a few rough edges, particularly the bathroom and bedside tables. It certainly won't stop us from returning despite the very long flights from the UK

Room Tip: I understand one wing has been partially or totally refurbished. If you can get a room there then it...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

'The hotel is AMAZING! Everything there is just outstanding; location, staff, cleanness, scene, friendliness, etc. It is the BEST HOTEL in Malaysia!'. Those were my brother's first comments about the trip in general and the hotel in specific.
Staying in the hotel was my wedding gift to my newly-married brother. When I booked the hotel, I was reading the reviews carefully, checked the hotel images and of course the prices, everything was so tempting.
All I can say is that since last night until this moment (3pm), my brother and his wife are still talking about the hotel.
I highly recommend it for honeymooners (and families, he told me that there was a German family staying for 10 days and they seemed just happy). Honestly, don't think twice. click on the booking icon and you will never ever regret.
After hearing this feedback, my sister now will go the same exact hotel for her honeymoon in September.
I don't know if this is allowed, but I'd like to thank the hotel management for taking care of my brother and his wife.

K

Room Tip: If you are looking for a nice, romantic, and luxurious place for newly wedds, this is the place to b...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Very much enjoyed our time at the Andaman Hotel. Luxury hotel set on the beach in a rain forest at Langkawi, Malaysia. There are a couple of other hotels up along the beach which look a bit more up market but they did not seem to have the same vibrant atmosphere or the same size swimming pool as the Andaman. Situated on the beach so you can hire a canoe to get over to an adjacent island which takes about 20 minutes. Food is very good. It is about 30 minutes drive to the nearest village shops. No problem ever getting sun beds. Constant supply of towels and fresh drinking water. The gym is also quite high tech and open 24 hrs. Be careful to close your windows in your room. The monkeys are known to get in as one did with us. Finally got him out with a bag of pistachio nuts as a bribe. It is the rain forest so when it rains it pours. The rain tended not to last for more than an hour or so and then sunshine again. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to spoil themselves a bit and have a relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: Best to get a room overlooking the sea and the swimming pool. Make sure you keep the windows closed...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The property is in a Secluded location with astounding views. Stayed there with my husband and his friend who were on a golfing trip at the Datai Bay Golf Course.
Its a nice hotel with beautiful natural surroundings.
There are monkeys all over and if you are not careful they will try to come in your room and go straight for the mini bar. But these things are not scary and it all adds to the experience of living in the wilderness. The little black monkeys are a treat to watch and one can also see flying lemurs at night. The hotel also offers free nature walks both in morning and evening. Book these free tours at the hotel lobby and you would learn a lot about the flora and fauna.
Evenings are beautiful by the seaside restaurant although the food is not that great.One evening we ate at the Japanese restaurant which we felt was expensive and nothing special.
However its nice to sit at the bar by the beach and enjoy the sunsets there.
Breakfast spread is good.
The hotel's far away from the main city attractions but lodged in the wilderness. So if you are going with kids do pack in a few extra munchies. There is no shop around.
The beach is beautiful and very peaceful.
One thing that is an absolute must do is the Spa. Its beautiful and the views are simply stunning. Since my husband was out golfing i spent most of the time at the spa. Even if you are not a spa person do visit it. The hotel offers free complimentary 10 minute shoulder massage. Do avail of it.
I also got a hair treatment at the Hotel Salon and the lady there was very gentle and professional. Had a good experience.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 6 nights at the end of a three week break.All I can say is pure heaven. Christian and his team do everything to make your stay memorable. Having family living in KL, we have a very good reason to return. Thanks to all at the hotel for making our holiday.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
AndamanLangkawi, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear alister s,

Thank you for choosing The Andaman for your recent stay on Langkawi…and I am delighted to know that you and your wife enjoyed the stay with us.

I am especially happy to know that you and your wife enjoyed the stay with us… and it was my pleasure to meet you personally!

Once again, thank you again for the candor of your comment… and I am thrilled to know that we may welcome you again at The Andaman. Next time, we hope that you will come for a longer stay! If I may be of further assistance, please do contact me via christian.metzner@luxurycollection.com, my team and I look forward to taking care of you again at The Andaman.

Warm regards,

Christian Metzner
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

When we arrived at the resort on the first day, we were warmly welcomed by the friendly staff who served us drinks while they settled our check-in. We had to wait 30 to 45 minutes for our room (partly because we arrived slightly early), but they offered us coffee and drinks during the wait and even gave us complimentary breakfast for our stay.

Although the resort looks pretty old and tired in the common areas, I loved the hotel room - clean and really comfortable beds, nicely furnished toilets and extremely strong air-conditioning. The main swimming pool was big and clean; overall a lovely place to relax, read and swim. The 24-hour gym was well-equipped, clean and new.

During our stay, there were other activities to do at the resort. We went for the morning walk (duration: 1.5h; takes place at 0800hrs daily) where we took a short tour around the resort and learnt about animals and plants. I recommend this if you're interested in learning about nature.

We also explored the Coral Nursery; basically a place where they treated sick corals before transplanting them back into the sea once they recover. At the Coral Nursery, free guided snorkelling tours (1000hrs to 1300hrs daily) are provided where experienced staff would introduce different species of corals while you swim in the coral nursery pool. I found this really fantastic because it was educational and enriching to learn about corals that saved the resort during the tsunami disaster. Apart from this, the resort provided free snorkelling gear and beach boards whilst other water activities such as windsurfing and kayaking were chargeable.

We had breakfast at The Restaurant which provided a good spread of cuisines (Malay, Western, Chinese) and had dinner on one of the nights at Tepian Laut. The food was generally good, but very overpriced for the quantity.

Although the resort is about an hour away from Kuah and 30-40 minutes drive from Langkawi International Airport, I recommend it if you are looking for a getaway near nature and the beach. The resort shouts nature and unknowingly instills a sense of tranquility and inner peace while you're there. Perfect for a getaway from the city.

TIPS:
- Rent a car from the airport! I recommend Kasina as we had a really pleasant experience with their service.
- Be prepared for mosquitoes bites at the hotel.
- Do not feed the monkeys as they can become aggressive.

Room Tip: Close your room doors! Monkeys may enter.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
AndamanLangkawi, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Drugslits,

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed the stay with us and you enjoyed the stay with our room and that you were comfortable…and thrilled to know that our associate was friendly and welcoming – just as it should be!

I am especially happy to know that you took time and participating our Rainforest Awakening Walks. I do think that the key to these “nature activities” is a really good guide who can really open up the secrets of these amazing eco-systems. Thank you for highlighting this point.
Thank you for your time to visit our Coral Nursery. We opened the Andaman Coral Nursery 2 years ago…as well as a rich marine home – it also serves as a venue to grow baby corals to help populate the reef at our bay. Our team runs a series of activities to help educate ourselves and our guests on this fragile eco-system…we do encourage guest to participate in these activities.
As you discovered, The Andaman is further away from the main touristic areas…and because so many of the trees and fauna were protected and maintained from the very start, the wildlife had no reason to move. Notwithstanding that, Datai Bay was recognized as the 9th best beach in the world by National Geographic. We do think that this combination of 10 million year old rainforest and coral sand beach is a little bit magical and certainly unique to this corner of the island. I give credit to the original architect of The Andaman for designing the hotel such that the hotel is inside the rainforest. Thank you for your compliment towards our resort location – much appreciated!
Please allow me to say once again how grateful I am towards your feedback and please do not hesitate to contact me via christian.metzner@luxurycollection.com if I can be of your assistance in person, my team and I would be delighted to welcome you back to The Andaman.
With warm regards,
Christian Metzner

Been to The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!