“Lovely property and great service” 5 of 5 stars

Family Escapade
Ranked #5 of 100 Hotels in Langkawi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Lovely property and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights - four families with 6 children, and most of us are vegetarians. Barring the first lunch which was very average and slow, the staff went out of their way to make our stay pleasurable.

The Japanese restaurant needs special mention that they gave us such a lovely veg meal (sushi, tempura, rice, teppen tofu, veggies, dessert, etc) that we went back again for another dinner which was even better than the first one. Even the lunch at the pool side and at The Restaurant they gave us excellent meals. The key was speaking to the staff in advance and letting them know our requirements. Overall, the food was fantastic despite us being vegetarians.

The other highlight is the coral nursery. They have created a small one within the hotel which is beautiful. The person in charge does a great job of ensuring no one damages the corals. Since they allow only one person at a time, it takes a while if there is a queue. But worth it for saving the corals.

The kids had a great time in the pool. The slide must have suffered extra wear and tear given how much the kids used it. The kids area is sort of OK. Could be better.

Special mention must be made of Alwin, Nish, Mahesh, Chef Ismail and the Chef at the Japanese restaurant for making our stay a memorable one. Especially Alwin who would make sure we had planned our next meal and had spoken to the chef / manager of the relevant restaurant in time.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
AndamanLangkawi, Executive Assistant Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Nick1214,
You are very kind indeed! Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent stay – and I am delighted to know that you enjoyed the stay with us.
I am glad to know that you enjoyed our new Luxury Seaview Rooms. These rooms have just been refurbished and completed last year. I am especially happy to know that our staff was welcoming, attentive and took good care of you during the stay – just as it should be!
Thank you for your review towards our resort especially our service team. I hope that you will visit us again at The Andaman. My team and I remain at your service.
Adrian Stoppe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We were attending a wedding in Singapore then holidaying up on Langkawi to escape the Scottish winter for a little longer, and we had a brilliant time. Very restful.

The hotel was beautiful. Lovely staff, although there were some hiccups...we had booked a package that included fresh flowers and champagne in our room on arrival, neither were present, in fact they didn't seem to know we had booked a room package.. anyway, once we asked about them the flowers appeared quickly and we were allowed to have our champagne anytime/anywhere so we had it with our meal one night.

The room itself was beautiful. The bathroom was nothing short of divine. We drifted across the front lawn onto the quiet beach. Despite being Chinese New Year and everywhere being booked/busy, this place still seemed relatively quiet. We took the catamaran out and booked a sunset sail cruise which was excellent.

The food was brilliant. The beach restaurant was fantastic. The free rainforest walk was also very interesting. We had breakfast in our room everyday and it was beautifully served.

Overall, super holiday, would absolutely recommend!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear DrToots,
How kind you are! Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent stay and thank you for taking the time to post this generous review on Trip Advisor.
I am thrilled to know that you and your partner enjoyed the stay with us… and glad to know that our staff took good care of you during stay. I do acknowledge your review regarding the flower and champagne arrangement. I do apologize if, at anytime, you felt that our service less anything less than attentive and responsive. There are no excuses for shortfalls in service that our guests receive. I am so sorry that this was your experience.
Thank you for your warm review towards our resort location. As you discovered, The Andaman is set inside the 10 million year old rainforest on a coral sand beach. This side of the island is relatively un-populated and thus our resort always stays quiet… if guests wish to have a tranquil, peaceful holiday, this is the right spot to choose.
It is kind of you to compliment our resort food quality… and I am especially happy to know that you took time and participate our rainforest walk.
Thank you for your warm reviews towards our resort and it is kind of you to recommend our resort to other traveller through Trip Advisor, appreciated! I hope that you will visit us again at The Andaman. My team and I remain at your service.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

An absolutely wonderful experience. We had the pleasure of staying at this resort for two weeks in February 2014. The staff were polite, friendly and attentative which added to the whole experience. Where do you start with a place like The Andaman?? the beach? the location? the food? the accomodation? everything was more than one could expect. I could sit here and write endlessly on each topic the conclusion would be that you have to be there to appreciate everything it offers. Thank you for a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Rooms on 2nd / 3rd fllor on the North wing have an unobstructive view of the bay.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
AndamanLangkawi, Executive Assistant Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Mandy180906,
You are very kind indeed… thank you for your time for posting this wonderful review on Trip Advisor – much appreciated!
I am glad to know that you and your partner enjoyed the natural environment – and I would certainly agree with you. As you discovered, our resort location is further away from the main touristic areas. The Andaman is surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest on a coral sand beach. National Geographic says that this is the 9th best beach in the world …and if guests wish to have a tranquil, peaceful holiday close to nature …then this is the right spot to choose.
Once again, thank you for your review on Trip Advisor…much appreciated! I do hope that we may welcome you again in the future. My team and I remain at your service.
Gosford, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

We are just finishing our holiday at the Andaman and writing this review from the 24 hour business centre with free internet. Free wifi as well.

Let me just say that the resort is located in the most beautiful part of Langkawi. As a backdrop of a large protected rainforest the resort nestles under mountains on one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen in Datai Beach. The resort blends eco and luxury perfectly. We saw all sorts of wildlife on the resort.

I think we were also lucky as it was low season and there were virtually no one on the resort. This allowed us to roam free without the crowds and kids. It was the tranquil setting we set out for and got.

Datai Beach, where the Andaman is located, is probably the most secluded and farthest part of the island and it is a little bit a drive to get anywhere else. However, you might not want to go anywhere else as the resort has excellent dining and all the comforts. There are plenty of deck chairs on the beach and around the pool and plenty of shade to enjoy the location. We lazed on beds in front of the bar for hours, swimming, sleeping and reading.

The food was brilliant. Jala was a highlight with its freshly caught that day seafood. The Japanese was outstanding and I had sea bass shashimi caught that morning. It was melt in the mouth stuff. The service at both these restaurants was immaculate.

The morning breakfast had everything you could ask from Malaysian and Indian curries, to western food, an egg station, a waffle/pancake station, pastries, fruit and even champagne.

On our tenth wedding anniversary we arranged a private dinner on the beach that was just sublime.

All in all the food was excellent. The service in the restaurant and the bars were a little hit and miss. We went in low season and there were a large influx of trainees from Malaysia, China and Indonesia. The levels of English were varying and this made it sometimes hard to communicate what we wanted. Also, at times the service was too enthusiastic such as refilling our glasses when they were already two-thirds full, hovering around our table, asking us if we wanted anything multiple times and clearing my plates when my wife had not finished her meal. With proper training this can be improved.

We also found that the cocktails were of varying standards and in different glasses depending on which bar you went to. Some were not mixed as well as the others. Radot in the bar near reception made outstanding cocktails and probably needs to train the other bar staff so there is consistency across the resort.

All-in-all, however, the staff were very friendly, eager to please and enthusiastic.

A couple of tips:
- Langkawi is quite small. Grab a driver for the day and drive around the island. The mangrove tour is a must and Mushuri's Tomb site gives you a good understanding of Langkawi culture and history
- Cenang is full of backpackers and English tourists. Go hear if you want to hit a couple of bars as this place is the closest thing the island has to a nightlife. Avoid, if like me, you don't want to be on a souless beach that could be anywhere in Asia.
- Kuah is the capital. There are markets in the middle that have the cheapest stuff. I also tried durian in Kuah!
- Fare from airport to Andaman should be no more than 70MR.
- Taxi from Andaman to Kuah (furthest part of island) should be no more than 90MR. They need an hour's notice and negotiate fare before you get in the taxi.
- There are far, far cheaper spas in Kuah and Cenang than the Andaman. Some even provide transport from the hotel. Do some research on this because the spa prices at the Andaman are outrageous.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Breakermick,
Well…you certainly made my day! Thank you for choosing our resort for your special occasion and for posting this review on Trip Advisor! I am delighted to know that you and your partner enjoyed the stay at The Andaman….and Happy 10th Anniversary!
Thank you for your warm review towards our resort…and you are absolutely correct! The Andaman is further away from the main touristic areas…and because so many of the trees and fauna were protected and maintained from the very start, the wildlife had no reason to move …and so we all (guests, monkeys, lemurs, hornbills et al) live in perfect peace together (most days!). We think that this combination of 10 million year old rainforest and coral sand beach is a little bit magical and certainly a little corner for this island.
It is kind of you to compliment our “Jala”…this restaurant has the most gorgeous location right on the beach - and the very best views of the beach - and offering the most delicious local fish and seafood… just wonderful!
I am sorry to read your feedback regarding the service efficiency and sad to know that our service did not meet your expectation level. Besides, I do acknowledge your review towards our beverage quality Please accept my sincere apologies for not delivering expected services. My apologies – please rest assured that this point will definitely become a focus of our ongoing training initiatives. I am never proud to know that we have failed to delight a guest, but I am always grateful for feedback which is integral as we journey towards improving the guest experience at our hotel. Thank you for sharing these detailed remarks.
Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback regarding your stay at The Andaman…your comments are much valued and appreciated. I do hope that we may welcome you again at The Andaman.
With warm regards
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

I stayed at The Andaman Langkawi for 2 nights for short vacation break. The room booking process is smooth and speedy; check-in process is great too. We arrived Andaman around 2pm, welcomed by front desk staff, resting and enjoying our welcome drink at lobby sofa, while waiting for check-in and getting our room key. We handed a hotel map, and briefly introduced the hotel facilities by the staff. After that, we guided to our room - Deluxe Rainforest room, which is the most basic room category in Andaman.

The room is just perfect. Big and extremely comfortable king size bed, L-shape sofa with coffee table, small balcony with rainforest view, white marble bathroom, standing shower cube and large bathtub. We enjoyed very much the rain-shower, this is simply the best. Housekeeping team did their job perfectly, especially the daily turn down service.

The location for Andaman is isolated, and far away from Langkawi main tourist area. But this is not an issue, as we rented a car the entire trip. Nice sandy beach, small coral nursery area, and some complimentary activities offered by hotel. Do get more information about the complimentary activities with concierge or front desk agent. We joined the evening nature walk and use the mountain bike provided by hotel. It is a special experience for a short tour into the rainforest jungle.

Overall this is a great time spending 2 days at The Andaman Langkawi.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
AndamanLangkawi, Executive Assistant Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear LQuen,
How kind you are! Thank you for choosing The Andaman for your recent stay on Langkawi…and I am delighted to know that you enjoyed the stay with us…and glad to know that our check-in process met your expectation level – just wonderful!
I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed our Deluxe Rainforest room – and that you were comfortable. Thank you for your warm review towards our housekeeping team… and I have passed the message to them, I do believe that you have made their day. Thank you!
I am especially happy to know that you took time and participating our Rainforest Afterdark Walks. As you discovered, our resort is surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest – and because so many of the trees and fauna were protected and maintained from the very start, the wildlife had no reason to move. I do think that the nature team does a super job at being educational, engaging and amusing. I think that the key to these “nature activities” is a really good guide who can really open up the secrets of these amazing eco-systems. Thank you for highlighting this point.
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

We spent 11 nights at the Andaman and were happy all around. The staff is super friendly and helpful - whether it is around the pool, at the restaurants or in any other part of the Hotel. The quality of the food in all Restaurants is very good. The Starwood Kids programme is perfect for a family like us (3 small children) and so is the Kids club which offers a wide range of activities inside and outside. The pool is fantastic, both, for kids and adults. The beach is probably one of the nicest and cleanest throughout asia and given that it is only used by guests of two hotels it is very easy to find privacy - so even without kids guests will be able to enjoy the benefits of this Hotel. The location overall is spectacular as the Hotel is basically part of the Rainforest and besides Monkeys, Lizards and Butterflies there are various other species which make you feel like being in a different world. The rooms are clean, modern and up to date. The only tiny input we would have is that we would have preferred for the Garden Terrace rooms to open-up into the forrest rather than the fence which goes around. The argument of increased privacy is fair but since the next small path is 50 metres away it would not have disturbed us in the slightest.
We would clearly recommend this Hotel to anyone, we had a great time and should we be back in the region, we will surely return. Thanks to the whole Andaman Team for making our vacation special and very, very relaxing.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
AndamanLangkawi, Executive Assistant Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Dear Balz S,
Well… you certainly made my day! Thank you for taking time the time for posting this generous review on Trip Advisor – much appreciated! I am delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed the stay with us and glad to know that our staff was friendly and helpful – just as it should be!
Thank you for experiencing all of our four restaurants with your kind remarks on the food quality and our service team… I have passed your message to our Food & Beverage Team and I do believe that you have made their day. Thank You!
I grinned when I know that your children engaged with our Young Explorers Club. This club is for our younger guests to cool down and relax, in between outdoor activities that are fun, engaging and promote learning.
I am especially happy to know that you and your family enjoyed our resort location… and you are absolutely correct! We are set inside the 10 million year old rainforest on a coral sand beach. National Geographic says that this is the 9th best beach in the world, and we agree! I give credit to the original architect of The Andaman for designing the hotel such that the hotel is inside the rainforest – and because so many of the trees and fauna were protected and maintained from the very start, the wildlife had no reason to move …and so we all (guests, monkeys, lemurs, hornbills et al) live in perfect peace together (most days!).
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us… and thank you for recommending our resort to other traveller through Trip Advisor – much appreciated! I am thrilled to know that we may welcome you and your family again… we look forward to taking care of you again !
Jitra, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

My family and I just came back from Langkawi 4 days ago. Just one night stay as it was an unplanned trip and we had things to do in Langkawi.Eventhough it was a short trip as we have to rush back to the mainland on the next day, we really enjoyed ourselves very much there. The beach is clean and not crowded together with the serenity of the place, really makes us want to visit this place again.
We reached at 3 pm for checked in but our room wasn't ready ( we booked two rooms) but we were given one room to refresh ourselves temporarily. Very kind of them but still we were unable to relaxed much (me and my husband )as the kids ( 4 of them) were very hyperactive and we had to rush to our original rooms at about 4.50 pm. The rooms are big and comfortable.
The breakfast was great. A lot of varieties but since we are Malaysians , we may be expected more, nasi lemak is just not complete without sambal ( chilli paste) and their components. A bit disappointed. Roti canai should be served hot and fried there and then like what we got from a stall outside, so that we can show the originality of roti canai, again it was disappointing.
Anyway, we would love to come back again and stay longer. We have great time there. Staff are very helpful and cheerful together with the calm and serene surroundings.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Lina1014,
Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent stay at The Andaman… and for taking the time to post this review.
I am glad to know that you and your family enjoyed our resort location … surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest. I would certainly agree with you regarding our Datai Bay - recognized as the 9th best beach in the world by National Geographic, I know that I am biased, but I do agree that it is one of the best beaches in Asia! This side of the island is relatively un-populated and thus our water always stays clean and clear, quiet and undisturbed.
I am glad to know that you enjoyed the stay with us, however I am sorry that your room was not ready upon arrival. I can’t say for sure as why other guests were given their rooms before you. It can be the case that a guest might wait for a particular room type…for example perhaps twin rooms have already been vacated and serviced…whereas king bedded rooms have only just been vacated and are not yet ready – or it could be that guests pre-booked their room for early arrival. Whichever way…I can imagine that this could be a source of frustration, for which I apologize for.
Thank you for your remark towards our breakfast at The Restaurant and I do acknowledge your reviews towards our breakfast quality and variety choices. As a team, we reviewed your comments at our morning briefing (as we do with all guest feedback), and we identified key learning and specific action points. I am never proud to know that we have failed to delight a guest, but I am always grateful for feedback which is integral as we journey towards improving the guest experience at our hotel.
Please allow me to say once again how grateful I am towards your feedback… and I am thrilled to know that we may welcome you again at The Andaman. Next time, we hope that you will come for a longer stay! My team and I look forward to taking care of you again at The Andaman
Adrian Stoppe

Been to The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!