“Beautiful, Relaxing Rainforest Retreat!” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Stay Longer For Less
Ranked #5 of 96 Hotels in Langkawi
Perth, Australia
“Beautiful, Relaxing Rainforest Retreat!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We stayed at the Andaman for 3 nights. We upgraded to a pool access room which was well worth the money. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful with monkeys and birds in the rainforest. The staff were very accommodating and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble. The beach is stunning and voted 9th best in the world. The resort is aimed at families. Being a couple without children we did find the main pool noisy. If you had children it would be an ideal place to stay. The resort is quite far from anything and taxis are quite expensive. But overall a great experience!

• Stayed April 2014
AndamanLangkawi, Executive Assistant Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Apryke,
Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent stay and thank you for taking the time to post this generous review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed the stay with us – just wonderful!
I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed the stay with our Luxury Pool Access room. These new rooms are getting super guest comments with their exclusive and private use access to the Rainforest swimming pools.
I am especially happy to know that you and your partner enjoyed our resort location… and you are absolutely correct! We are set inside the 10 million year old rainforest on a coral sand beach and because so many of the trees and fauna were protected and maintained from the very start, the wildlife had no reason to move. Besides, our resort is located in a little corner of Langkawi Island…and further away from the main touristic areas. If guest would like to explore the island, guest may take advantage of our shuttle service that goes into either Kuah or Cenang each day. The shuttle service is complimentary to all the guests.
Thank you for your warm review towards our service team… I am glad to know that our staff was friendly and attentive – just as it should be!
I would certainly agree with you regarding our coral sand beach… Datai Bay has recognized as the 9th best beach in the world by National Geographic and I know that I am biased, but I do agree that it is one of the best beaches in Asia!
Once again, thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us… and we look forward to taking care of you again. My team and I remain at your service.
Adrian Stoppe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Korean first
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

As a family of five, with three young girls visiting Kuala Lumpur, we decided to take a few days visiting Langkawi. We were advised to visit the north side of the island, and we are very grateful for that advice. The location of the hotel is ideal - just off the Datai Bay beach and in front of the islands old rainforest. PERFECT! We spent five days, but could have stayed for weeks/months.
The kids really enjoyed themselves (SPG kids club is nice), and I tend to think that the Andaman is a bit more family friendly compared to the neighboring Datai resort. Great pool area, impressive beach (big tide by the way), excellent service, polite staff (even though the level of english varies), top wifi connection and top food (Jala has great food).
The hotel room was very nice - with a spectacular view (fourth floor north wing). The only remark that I have is that the water is not crystal clear (but still nice). This was simply a great experience. Don’t forget to try the hobiecat and visit the coral nursery.
We will be back!

Room Tip: North wing, fourth floor
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
AndamanLangkawi, Executive Assistant Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Dear AstridFredrik,
How wonderful you are! Thank you for choosing The Andaman for your stay on Langkawi… and for taking the time to post this review. I am glad to know that you and your family enjoyed the stay with us and delighted to know that our staff was friendly and attentive.
I am glad to know that you enjoyed the stay with our Luxury Seaview room and our resort location… I would certain agree with you. It is further away from the main touristic areas…and we think that this combination of 10 million year old rainforest and coral sand beach is a little bit magical and certainly unique to this corner of the island. I give credit to the original architect of The Andaman for designing the hotel such that the hotel is inside the rainforest. This side of the island is relatively un-populated and thus our resort always stays quiet and undisturbed… if guests wish to have a tranquil, peaceful holiday, this is the right spot to choose…especially for families!
I grinned when I know that your children engaged with our Young Explorers Club. This club is for our younger guests to cool down and relax, in between outdoor activities that are fun, engaging and promote learning.
Thank you for experiencing all of our four restaurants with your kind remarks on the food quality and our service team. Besides, I am thrilled to know that you took time and visit our “Jala” - offering the most delicious local fish and seafood. “Jala” does have the most gorgeous location in our resort…and the very best views of the beach.
Please allow me to say once again how grateful I am for your wonderful feedback… and I am delighted to know that we may welcome you again. See you soon.
With warm regards,
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

My now fiance and I stayed at the Andaman in Langkawi for 5 nights just recently. We were both blown away with the resort in terms of the service, ambiance, facilities and restaurants. The staff at the Andaman are wonderful, and clearly all genuinely enjoy working there. A special thank you to Ariyanto for helping my partner plan a magical romantic dinner and proposal on the private beach. Also we would like to thank Selvam for your friendly greeting every morning and attendance to our needs.

The location is magnificent in Datai Bay. You should be congratulated on your work to preserve the coral reef and care for the surrounding rainforest with it's unique flora and fauna. The quality of food at Jala restaurant was excellent, and we also enjoyed eating at the other restaurants. The pool and other facilities were also great. We visited the Integrated Wellness Spa three times. The services here by the staff are of the highest quality you could expect. It’s absolutely indulgent and overlooks the entire bay.

Thank you Andaman for the most amazing holiday we have ever experienced! If you are going to Langkawi I recommend you only stay here!

Dear Bec_Beiers,
Congratulation! Thank you for your time for posting this wonderful review on Trip Advisor – much appreciated! I am thrilled to know that you and your fiancé enjoyed the stay with us.
I am especially happy to know that our staff was friendly and helpful. It is kind of you for allowing me the opportunity to recognize Ariyanto and Selvam for their great hospitality service to you, it is our pleasure to provide our best service to hotel guests - just as it should be.
I am delighted to know that you and your partner enjoyed our coral sand beach. As you may know, Datai Bay is recognized as the 9th best beach in the world by National Geographic, I know that I am biased, but I do agree that it is one of the best beaches in Asia!
Kudos to you for experiencing our spa treatments at our “V Botanical Spa” - I continue to get great comments from our guests. It is kind of you to compliment towards our dining venue “Jala” - offering the most delicious local fish and seafood. Thank you for your warm reviews towards “Jala” food quality and the service team as well. I have passed your message to the team…and I do believe that you have made their day, thank you!
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us… and it is kind of you for recommending our resort to other traveller through Trip Advisor – much appreciated! We look forward to taking care of you again.
With kind regards,
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

We booked six days at the resort. The flight schedule from BKK is very convenient if you don't mind waking up early. The 6am departure from BKK with a quick turn around in KL gets you to the Andaman by lunch. The 3:40pm departure from Langkwai gives you a full day at the resort the day you leave. They were very kind to give us a late check out to 1pm, we had lunch and headed to the airport.

I can't say enough about this resort but probably the best, most important fact is that the beach it is on, the Datai, is privately owned. The rain forests behind the hotel are owned by the government. There are only two resorts on Datai bay. The Datai, an excellent property for a "rain forest" experience and great food and the Andaman where we stayed wanting a more "beach" resort holiday. They upgraded us to a pool villa with a splash pool that is big enough to exercise in. Can't do laps but can certainly move around. We had the one of the two pool villa's that had a sea view. Room 141was ours with a partial sea view where as room 149 has a full on view. The suites on the third and fourth floors, 419 and 319 are HUGE with incrediable balconies and full sea views.

But the best part was the food! Breakfast, lunch, Dinner FANTASTIC! and as the island is duty free, the wines are extremely reasonable in price, especially considering you are at a five star resort. Our most expensive meal was at Jala restaurant, the second time we ate there. We didn't eat since breakfast so chowed down big time and ordered a lot of food PLUS an excellent bottle of St. Veran white wine. It was less than $200US for two of us but compared to BKK prices and the quality of the food, excellent value. Even the room service menu was awesome and very reasonably priced. We enjoyed one huge meal in our suite as it rained that night.

The spa is excellent and beautiful. we spend most of our time at the spa. The treatments were very good and the views from the spa villa's were worth the price alone. Coco at the salon was incrediable. He gave me the best shave, shampoo and haircut I have had in Asia. He was a doll. Shave, haircut, head massage, shampoo... Less than $50US.

The gym was excellent with a great personal trainer. I actually LOST WEIGHT on this holiday and ate like a pig and drank like a sailor.

The staff was friendly, helpful and spoke excellent English. Better than any resort I stayed at in Bali, Vietnam or Thailand.

DON'T miss the UNESCO mangrove tour! A MUST DO!

It was the only time we left the resort. Although we did want to go on their sailing trip one day. We just got too lazy.

The resort is 17 years old. It looks like it was built yesterday and it will look as good, 17 years from now.

I really cannot say enough about how much we enjoyed our time there. But as soon as we got home to BKK, I booked another six day stay in September for my birthday and requested the suites on the 3rd or 4th floor!

Room Tip: One wing is rain forest view. The other wing is partial ocean view from lower floors, full ocean vie...
Dear Theoysterking,
You are very kind indeed… thank you for choosing The Andaman for your stay on Langkawi and for taking the time to post this wonderful review on Trip Advisor – much appreciated! I am delighted to know that you and your partner enjoyed the stay with our resort environment.
I am glad to know that you enjoyed our resort location and I would certain agree with you… surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest – and further away from the main touristic areas. I give credit to the original architect of The Andaman for designing the hotel such that the hotel is inside the rainforest. Notwithstanding that, Datai Bay recognized as the 9th best beach in the world by National Geographic, I know that I am biased, but I do agree that it is one of the best beaches in Asia! If guests wish to have a tranquil, peaceful holiday close to nature …this is definitely a little paradise in Langkawi Island.
Kudos for you to experience our new Executive Pool Suite I am glad you have been able to enjoy the partial sea view from a 34- to 52-square-metre patio, which comprises a private plunge pool, a cabana daybed, and a private garden with a dining table and two chairs…just wonderful!
It is kind of you to compliment our resort food quality and I have passed the message to our Kitchen Team... thank you.
Kudos to you for experiencing our spa treatments at our “V Botanical Spa” - as you discovered the spa villas are set up on the rainforest hillside and therefore have the most gorgeous views across the bay. I continue to get great comments from our guests.
I am delighted to know that you took time to experience our “V Fitness” - and as you discovered, it is equipped with all the latest TechnoGym equipment….offering very nice rainforest views while you are exercise.
Once again, thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us… I grinned when I know that we may welcome you again to celebrate your birthday with us… we look forward to taking care in September… see you soon !
With warm regards,
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

We've just returned from our stay at The Andaman feeling thoroughly relaxed after a truly amazing holiday. I had previously read some mixed reviews and wasn't sure what to expect but can honestly say it far exceeded our expectations and was the perfect family holiday destination.

Firstly - location, location, location! Stunning Datai Bay with powdery soft sand, clear, clean water and a feeling of isolation. We walked the full length of the beach daily, and our favourite spot was at the far end by The Datai which is less rocky. When the tide is right there are sandbanks where you can sit undisturbed and just enjoy the view. At low tide the sea is too rocky for swimming at The Andaman end but great for rock-pooling, with lots of hermit crabs, shells etc to be found.

Behind the beach you have the amazing rainforest which for us was the highlight. To have the combination of beautiful beach along with a rainforest teeming with wildlife was really special. Sitting by the pool as Great Hornbills flew overhead with the Dusky langurs and squirrels in the trees was pretty cool by day, then at night as we sat at Tepian Laut - the Malaysian restaurant as the flying lemurs and flying squirrels glided between the trees with the background noise of the geckos and crickets - it was almost surreal. We also experienced a pod of dolphins gliding past my husband as he windsurfed on one occasion and a large sea otter scooting past on another, not to mention the flying snake that landed next to my teenage daughter as she lay on a sun lounger one day!

Staff - it's been said by lots of other reviewers, but the staff were all fantastic - extremely attentive, keen to please, and keen to have a chat and a bit of a joke. Even though it was a large hotel it was a very personable experience without the clinical coldness that you can often find at such places. My two sons were virtually adopted by the pool and beach bar staff - we hardly ever saw them in the daytime!

Restaurants - were really good. The breakfast buffet in the morning was very varied and plentiful. Lounging on the big seats on the beach to sip a few drinks and watch the sunset became a daily evening routine and whilst we tried all of the restaurants our favourite was the Tepian Laut. We ate at the Japanese once but weren't that keen. Perhaps because it was indoors and we felt we could have been anywhere, it lacked the same atmosphere. We ate at Jala twice which is great if you enjoy fresh seafood. It was fun sitting with bare feet in the sand, although we felt it was overpriced for the portion sizes.

Rooms: We booked two interconnecting rooms and were initially upgraded to Garden Terrace rooms in the south wing. We found these rooms to be very dark, due to the rainforest canopy blocking the light and the garden wasn't very appealing and equally dark. The Reception staff were really helpful and after two nights we were moved to two Treetop View rooms, which is actually what we'd booked, and found these much better. Although slightly smaller rooms, we were in the North wing on the second floor with a small balcony and a lot more natural light which suited us better. I would definitely recommend getting rooms on higher floors.

We hired a car for one day to take a look around the island, visiting the Cable Cars and Pantai Cenang. We did a full circuit of the island but to my mind Datai Bay is far and above the best spot on the island if you want peace and quiet. It is quite a hike if you want nightlife or a greater selection of restaurants.

Also during our stay we kayaked, windsurfed and took the Hobiecat around the bay and I enjoyed a couple of hours pampering away from the children in the Spa. The Spa was beautifully situated up high in open "huts" so you can have a massage whilst looking out over the bay - truly serene, pricy, but worth it for the experience.

All in all there was something for everyone in our family - which with two teenagers isn't always easy. My husband and I were able to relax and be pampered whilst surrounded by the most amazing scenery and wildlife. I would wholeheartedly recommend and intend to return.

Room Tip: The higher the better and try for the North Wing
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Lou3,
Well…you certainly made my day! thank you for taking time the time for posting this generous review on Trip Advisor. I am especially happy to know that you and your family enjoyed the stay with our rainforest environment and glad to know that our staff took good care of you and your family – just as it should be!
Thank you for your warm review towards our resort…and you are absolutely correct! The Andaman is further away from the main touristic areas…and because so many of the trees and fauna were protected and maintained from the very start, the wildlife had no reason to move …and so we all (guests, monkeys, lemurs, hornbills et al) live in perfect peace together (most days!). We think that this combination of 10 million year old rainforest and coral sand beach is a little bit magical and certainly a little corner for this island.
I am especially happy to know that you have a wonderful moment at our beach. Our sand is coral sand – softer than seashell sand…and never gets too hot ….even on the sunniest days, so no risk of burning your toes. As you know, National Geographic says that this is the 9th best beach in the world, although I am biased… but I do agree!
Thank you for experiencing all of our four restaurants with your kind remarks on the food quality. I am thrilled to know that you and your family enjoyed the dining experience at our “Jala” - this restaurant offered the most delicious local fish and seafood… I do think that bare foot on the sand is a wonderful idea when you enjoyed your meal with the most gorgeous location right on the beach.
Kudos to you for experiencing V Botanical Spa. As you know the spa villas are set up on the rainforest hillside and therefore have the most gorgeous views across the bay. It’s the only spa in the world, where I recommend guests take a camera!
Please allow me to say once again how grateful I am towards your feedback… and it is kind of you to recommend our resort to other traveller through Trip Advisor, appreciated! I am delighted to know that we may welcome you to The Andaman again… my team and I remain at your service.
Rozelle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

On the whole, I really enjoyed my stay at the resort. The resort is about 30 minutes from the airport and is VERY secluded. If you want to visit other attractions, you will need a car or taxi (average taxi costs MYR70-80) We opted for the pool access room which included a shared pool (about 30m) with 4 - 6 other rooms. It was a great pool to have some privacy and be away from the many families at the resort. The room was nice enough, the beds were not full doubles but bit bigger than a king single. The bathroom was very large with bath and shower. The public pool area was nice, good pool (although it could be a little deeper) and fun slippery dip. The ocean was nice as well. Generally, the restaurants were nice (5 of them), although the breakfast options were a little too much. We tried all 5 over the time we were there. I would say the Malaysian Beachfront one was probably my favourite. The day spa was very comfortable and offered many options to relax. The gym was great, private cycle room (although only 1 class a week) and well-equipped weights.

Now for the things that they could work on ..... check in was 3:00pm. We arrived for then and our room was not ready until about 4:30pm. The only thing we were offered was an additional welcome juice.....the airconditioning unit in the room was extremely loud. We had to turn it off most nights. The service in the restaurants was very hit and miss and could be improved - for example, mix up with bills and wait staff trying to take your plates and cups basically whilst you were still eating off them. The front desk staff were a little unhelpful also, including overcharging us for a day activity (which we had to point out to them).

I would recommend this place probably more for families than I would for couples or groups.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Sydcarnie,
Thank you for choosing The Andaman for your recent stay on Langkawi…and I am delighted to know that you and your friend enjoyed the stay with us.
I do agree with your idea of renting a car to explore the island. As you discovered, our resort is located in a little corner of Langkawi Island…and further away from the main touristic areas.The roads on Langkawi are in very god condition and it is almost impossible to get lost. It takes about 2 hours to drive around the whole island – and I recommend our driving guide “Things to Do” which gives some informative suggestions on a route around the island, as well as things to see and do.
Thank you for experiencing all of our four restaurants with your kind remarks on the food quality … I am especially happy to know that you enjoyed the dining experience at our Tepian Laut. This restaurant does have the most gorgeous location right on the beach and the very best views of the sunset… just wonderful.
I am delighted to know that you enjoyed our swimming pool and beach. As you may know, Datai Bay is recognized as the 9th best beach in the world by National Geographic, I know that I am biased, but I do agree that it is one of the best beaches in Asia!
I am sorry to read your feedback on the check-in experience, the room you were assigned and our service team. I am sad to know that our service did not meet your expectation level and we reviewed your comments as a team at our daily briefing meeting. Together with my team, we reviewed each point - and each of us (including me) took away specific actions, as well as learning and observations. I am so sorry that this was your experience…please rest assured that this point will definitely become a focus of our ongoing training initiatives… and I offer no excuses – we must simply do better.
I am never proud to know that we have failed to delight a guest, but I am always grateful for feedback which is integral as we journey towards improving the guest experience at our hotel. Thank you for sharing these detailed remarks. If I may be of further assistance, please do contact me adrian.stoppe@luxurycollection.com.
Kind regards,
Grozny, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel and loved everything about this perfect family resort. Room was nice, staff was extremely polite. Food at seafood restaurant called "Jala" was wonderful. I loved those huge prawns which were grilled and served with wonderful sauce. We are planning to return to this wonderful resort with our two kids. Water was so nice and clean..... I can go on and on. I was attacked by stingrey which hit my foot and it caused me a lot of pain but hotel doctor put my foot into hot water and pain went away in 30-40 minutes. One hour later we went to beach again and swam and sunbathed away from everyone. Very little amount of guests makes it perfect for muslims families who can swim and sunbathe away from people's eyes.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
AndamanLangkawi, Executive Assistant Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Esperanto E,
How kind you are! Thank you for posting this generous review on Trip Advisor…and choosing our resort for your recent stay. I am so delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed the stay at The Andaman… and glad to know that pour staff was friendly and welcoming.
Regarding our resort location, you are absolutely correct - located in a little corner of Langkawi Island… and surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest, with the 9th best beaches in the world (as per National Geographic). This side of the island is relatively un-populated and thus our water always stays clean and clear, quiet and undisturbed… if guests wish to have a tranquil, peaceful holiday close to nature …then this is the right spot to choose… especially for families.
I am so sorry to know that you have bitted by the stingray… however I’m glad to know that our Medical Assistant took good care of you.
Once again, thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us… and I am delighted to know that we may welcome you again…we look forward to taking care of you again !
Adrian Stoppe

Been to The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!