“Overcame my doubts with superb setting and excellent service” 5 of 5 stars

Family Escapade
Ranked #5 of 100 Hotels in Langkawi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tokyo, Japan
“Overcame my doubts with superb setting and excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Like others, we had some doubts about committing to the Andaman based on some uneven reviews last year. However, this hotel scored high in our book. The pickup at the airport was seamless. The check in service was beyond good, with our clerk, Jackson, taking us to our room personally and arranging for an extra kid bed when the double room we requested was not available. He had a great attitude. He also put us in a superb seaview room (249) with incredible views. The monkeys and other wildlife around the hotel were great. The pool was relaxing and our kids loved the slide and beaches. We sailed one day in the bay for an hour for about $20. We tried the snorkeling, but they only had two sets of poor snorkeling gear so the whole family couldn't go. It was free, but no excuse. I'd rather pay a fee and get good equipment and enough of it.

As for food, it was surprisingly good. I found it better than other reviewers indicated. We tried the Italian and Malaysian buffets, as well as La Jala, and Italian al la carte. The salads on the Italian buffet were incredible--the entrees average . The opposite for the Malaysian buffet. The Italian entrees, salads, and soups were all excellent. The breakfast was very good too. La Jala was fun, being able to eat with tables on the sand. The hotel was about 75% occupied (I asked), which probably made a huge difference in service quality. In my view, they were about maxed out at that level. We would not have wanted to see what it would have been like at full capacity. If I had one food and drink complaint it would be that we thought the drink quality and quantity was poor for the high prices. Some drink styles were unique, but overall they were watery and tiny (mostly served in 4 oz martini glasses regardless of drink style). We didn't drink a lot, but this issue bothered both my wife and I. We'd rather pay even more and get a top quality drink. Other than that, occasionally, the pool service was slow, especially when the crew had to get things ready for a dinner group, which happened a couple of times. Of course, the food was expensive but the distance from town made it imperative to eat at the hotel--especially if you have kids (add 90 minutes for driving otherwise). The SPG kids program was a real bonus (one price to cover all the kids menu food--which was good too). SPG also earned you a 15% discount on food. We did rent a car one day for a jet ski tour (incredible) and drove the island, eating in Penang Cetai, which was fun, good, and less expensive.

We tried the hotel spa, which was also pricey, but the setting and experience were top notch. My daughter cut her foot walking on the coral and hotel med staff took care of it quickly and efficiently. The business center was free and great to have for printing tickets, etc. The room cleaning service was outstanding throughout--no issues at all. Overall, we paid quite a bit, despite the discounts, but felt it was money spent well. It really helped to have room rate that included breakfast for the adults. Overall, a magical stay made better by generally great attitudes by the staff. Thanks to all for a great experience!

Room Tip: We were in a North wing seaview room at the North end. Best views there. The South end was less en...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
AndamanLangkawi, Executive Assistant Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Landsharmony,
Thank you for posting the generous review on Trip Advisor – much appreciated! I am delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed the stay with us.
I am glad to know that our check-in process met your expectation level and it is kind of you for allowing me the opportunity to recognize Jackson (our Guest Service Manager) for his great hospitality service to you – just as it should be!
It is kind of you to highlight the Water Slide and swimming pool… and I happy to know that you and your family have a great time!
Thank you for your warm review towards our resort food quality and I have passed the message to the kitchen team… I do believe that you have made their day, thank you! Kudos to you for opting for the SPG Kids Pass – it is an easy and value-led option for busy parents of hungry little-ones. I am thrilled to know that you took time and visit our “Jala” – a dining venue does have the very best views of the sunset. I do think that barefoot on the sand is a wonderful idea whilst enjoying your meal at the most gorgeous location right on the beach.
I am sorry to read your review regarding the service efficiency and I do acknowledge your review regarding our pricing issue. I had always felt that our prices were in line with our competitor as we do monitor our prices compared to the other similar hotels on the island. However, I am sorry that if it was a cause of disappointment… and I will continue to check because it’s important to me that we offer value for money for our guests. Thank you for candor on this point.
Once again, thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us… and we look forward to taking care of you again. My team and I remain at your service.
Adrian Stoppe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

Great memories from The Andaman from the start till after checkout. Set in beautiful rainforest surroundings, this is a great place to quickly get away from it all. Our room had a faulty fridge but service person fixed it within 30 mins of call (around midnight!). Lots of staff in place to give us a hand with directions, luggage etc. Faultless!

Dear EugeneTho,
Thank you for choosing The Andaman for your stay on Langkawi…and for taking the time to post this review on Trip Advisor.
I am thrilled to know that you and your partner enjoyed the stay with our resort location… and I would certainly agree with you! The Andaman is surrounded by rainforest and nature. Our resort is set inside a 10 million year old rainforest on a coral sand beach. National Geographic says that this is the 9th best beach in the world …definitely a delightful spot!
Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. I am sorry to know that there was an issue with your refrigerator …but I am glad to know that our staff solved the room issue efficiently. Thank you.
Once again, thank you for your review towards our resort especially our service team. I hope that you will visit us again at The Andaman. My team and I remain at your service.
Brierley Hill
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 9 days which is more than most.beach fantastic although rubbish dose get washed up but mainly down the datai hotel end. The staff were fantastic very
attentive a credit to Adrian. I do think head office should spend more money to make this the 5 star it claims to be.if you compare to the Westin there spending mega bucks on a conference centre very nice hotel but very sanitised.Don't let my negative comments put you off We had a good time and yes I would Recommend to couples & couples with young
kids.Also we didn't have a
bad meal and price's was

What we expected to pay.If
you're looking to book this hotel

• Stayed March 2014
Dear ldwills,
Thank you for choosing The Andaman for your recent stay on Langkawi…and for taking the time to post this generous review on Trip Advisor. I am glad to know that you enjoyed the stay with our resort location, I would certainly agree with you. The Andaman is surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest on a coral sand beach. National Geographic says that this is the 9th best beach in the world. If guests wish to have a tranquil, peaceful holiday close to nature, then this is the right spot to choose.
I am thrilled to know that our staff were friendly, welcoming and took good care of you during the stay – and it is always our pleasure to provide our best service to you.
I do acknowledge your remarks about the need for updating of our resort setting. As you may have discovered, our resort has completed the renovation few months ago on our North Wing. I feel positive about the plans that we have in place for upgrading and renovating the physical aspects of the resort and our guest rooms. Our team on property are committed to driving this plan forward – as well as managing it carefully and positively so that guests still enjoy a comfortable and relaxing stay with us - and I also acknowledge that we need to get there faster.
It is kind of you to recommend our resort to other traveller through Trip Advisor, appreciated! Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us… we look forward to taking care of you again at The Andaman!
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

We stayed at the Andaman for 5 nights at the end of March for our honeymoon, and it was the perfect getaway! We loved every moment!
By the time we arrived at the hotel, it was around 8pm, and we were greeted immediately with friendly smiles and welcome drinks. Our check-in was smooth and efficient. Our treetops room was perfect, overlooking lush greenery and had glimpses of the gorgeous Andaman sea.
What makes this hotel so special is the wonderful job that has been done in conserving the area around it. The ocean, forest and wildlife surrounding the area is almost untouched, and it is so peaceful and relaxing (not to mention the views are a feast for the eyes!)
The resort has an abundance of activities to partake in, and has a free daily shuttle bus to the two main towns, which makes it easy to plan day trips to explore the island of Langkawi.
With an abundance of places to dine in, you never have to leave the resort to experience delicious local cuisine. The daily breakfasts are delicious, with a wide variety to choose from. Personally, we highly recommend the Jala restaurant, the Japanese restaurant, and the private dining experience. We dined at the Jala restaurant twice, and were blown away by the service and quality of food - each night, there is a catch of the day section, where you can pick your choice of fish/seafood and cooking methods. We were lucky enough to have the same chef cook for us both nights, and his fish and lobster were to die for!!
I had also arranged a private dinner by the beach for my husband's birthday, and it was perfect! The outstanding service delivered by our wonderful waiter, the lovely Raka, was absolutely top-notch and the meal itself was again outstanding.
Thank you for a truly beautiful, relaxing and tantalizing honeymoon/holiday! We cannot wait to come back for our one year anniversary and would not hesitate to recommend you to anyone!

Dear AnitaC027,
Congratulations!!! Thank you for choosing The Andaman and celebrating this special occasion with us – just wonderful! Thank you very much for this kind and generous remarks – and for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to know that you and your partner enjoyed The Andaman experience with us… and glad to know that our check-in process met your expectation level.
I am especially happy to know that you and your partner enjoyed our resort location… and you are absolutely correct! We are set inside the 10 million year old rainforest on a coral sand beach and because so many of the trees and fauna were protected and maintained from the very start, the wildlife had no reason to move …and so we all (guests, monkeys, lemurs, hornbills et al) live in perfect peace together (most days!). Besides, our resort is located in a little corner of Langkawi Island…and further away from the main touristic areas. If guest would like to explore the island, guest may take advantage of our shuttle service that goes into either Kuah or Cenang each day. The shuttle service is complimentary to all the guests, as you discovered.
Thank you for your compliment towards our resort food quality and I grinned when I know that you too time and visit “Jala”. As you discovered, “Jala” does have the most gorgeous location right on the beach - and the very best views of the sunset. I am especially happy to know that you and your partner enjoyed the dining experience… and thank you for your warm review towards the kitchen team.
It is kind of you for allowing me to recognize Raka for his great service to you during the private dinner. I have passed your message to him… and I do believe that you have made his day, thank you!
Once again, thank you for your wonderful review… and it is kind of you to recommend our resort to other traveller through Trip Advisor, appreciated! I am delighted to know that we may welcome you back to The Andaman and celebrate your wedding anniversary… wonderful! My team and I remain at your service. Thank you!
Kind regards,
Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

We have fond memories of our trip to Langkawi and our time at the Andaman Resort in June 2013. Everything about the resort is first class. The resort is set in a peaceful and tranquil setting in the rainforest with stunning views out to the Andaman Sea. A special thanks to restaurant Manager's Ally Abdullah and Richard Veerbeek and their staff for the kind hospitality shown to us during our time there. We would highly recommend the resort and hope to return again soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Vikingwarrior,
How kind you are! Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent stay and thank you for taking the time to post this generous review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed the stay with us – just wonderful!
Regarding our resort location… I would certainly agree with you. The Andaman is set inside a 10 million year old rainforest, with the 9th best beaches in the world. This side of the island is relatively un-populated and thus our resort always stays quiet and undisturbed… if guests wish to have a tranquil, peaceful holiday, this is the right spot to choose…especially for families!
It is kind of you for allowing me to recognize Alias and Richard for their great hospitality service to you – just as it should be!
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us… and thank you for recommending our resort to other traveller through Trip Advisor – much appreciated! I am thrilled to know that we may welcome you and your family again… we look forward to taking care of you again !
Houston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Spent 3 wonderful nights at the Andaman during our recent trip to Malaysia and it didn't disappoint. This is a magical place - a beautiful location with fabulous scenery, wildlife right on your doorstep, fantastic food and the best service I think I have ever experienced. We had a luxury sea-view room and the view over the beach was breath-taking. We ate in the Tepian Laut, The Restaurant and Jala and all were of a very high standard. Jala in particular is exceptional in terms of service, location (literally on the beach) and quality of food. We also ate in the beach bar at lunchtime and experienced the same standard of food and service again - not to mention the stunning view! I really can't fault the Andaman and hope we might be able to visit again in the future.

Room Tip: We chose a north wing luxury sea-view room on the 4th floor to maximise the view!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
AndamanLangkawi, Executive Assistant Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Fiona6487,
You certainly made my day… thank you for choosing our resort for your recent stay at The Andaman.
I am glad to know that you enjoyed the stay with our Luxury Seaview room and our resort location… I would certain agree with you. The Andaman is surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest and further away from the main touristic areas. I give credit to the original architect of The Andaman for designing the hotel such that the hotel is inside the rainforest. Notwithstanding that, Datai Bay recognized as the 9th best beach in the world by National Geographic, I know that I am biased, but I do agree that it is one of the best beaches in Asia! If guests wish to have a tranquil, peaceful holiday close to nature …this is definitely a little paradise in Langkawi Island.
Thank you for experiencing all of our four restaurants with your kind remarks on the food quality and our service team. Besides, I am thrilled to know that you took time and visit our “Jala” - offering the most delicious local fish and seafood. “Jala” does have the most gorgeous location in our resort…and the very best views of the beach.
Please allow me to say once again how grateful I am for your wonderful feedback… and I am delighted to know that we may welcome you again. See you soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

We stayed in end of March 2014. The resort is far enough from city or airport. It took approx 30-40 minutes from the airport. When we arrived at the hotel it was 9.30 pm and many guest just arrived, but we found the check in very fast and smooth. I booked for tree house type room and i send them message whether they can give us less monkey room since i heard many room in this hotel always been visited by monkey from the forest. And guess what! they gave us a free upgrade room to pool access room type :) My kids loved the room so much. The room provided a big flat tv, iphone dock and nesspresso coffee maker! This hotel also generous in giving complimentary mineral water. And you can find very easily chilled water ready for guest to drink in swimming pool area. The beach is very very beautiful. It has a turquiose water, nice and calm. Just better check when the tide is low or high for swimming time or kayaking. By the way the price for kayak rent is very cheap. And you can borrow fin and life jacket for free. The resort also have a great kids club. They have what they called young explorer activity from building corral castle to finding nemo in the corral nursery. Dr Terence who in charge in corral nursery is very patience with the kids. He teached my daughter to try snorkeling to see better the corral and nemo. The breakfast in the resort was okay. You can have your own coffee in any style, they also provided delicious almond croissant and wine ( although i think ice cream will be better than wine for breakfast). May be they can provide more varieties in the future. The cons for the resort might be it was very far from city so if you don't rent car you don't have any choice for eating except from the hotel restaurant. But we also try the room service and the food was great and affordable than the restaurant. In sum i certainly will recommend this lovely resort for couple and family!

Room Tip: Pool access room is great!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
AndamanLangkawi, Executive Assistant Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Dear Bellaluna2013,
How kind you are! Thank you for choosing The Andaman for your recent stay on Langkawi…and I am delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed the stay with us…and glad to know that our check-in process met your expectation level – just wonderful!
Regarding our resort location, I do agree with you… as you discovered, it is surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest – and further away from the main touristic areas. Notwithstanding that, Datai Bay recognized as the 9th best beach in the world by National Geographic, I know that I am biased, but I do agree that it is one of the best beaches in Asia! If guests wish to have a tranquil, peaceful holiday close to nature …this is definitely a little paradise in Langkawi Island.
I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed the stay with our Luxury Pool Access room. These new rooms are getting super guest comments with their exclusive and private use access to the Rainforest swimming pools.
I grinned when I know that your children engaged with our Young Explorers Club. This club is for our younger guests to cool down and relax, in between outdoor activities that are fun, engaging and promote learning.
Thank you for your warm review towards Darren… and it is kind of you to highlight our Coral Nursery – much appreciated! This small fringing reef was badly damaged in the 2004 Tsunami…and our team runs a series of activities to help educate ourselves and our guests on this fragile eco-system.
It is kind of you to compliment our resort food quality and I have passed the message to our Kitchen Team... thank you.
Please allow me to say once again how grateful I am towards your feedback… and thank you for recommending our resort to other traveller through Trip Advisor, appreciated! We look forward to taking care of you again.
Adrian Stoppe

Been to The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!