“Wonderful Hotel, Wonderful Island” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Stay Longer For Less
Ranked #5 of 96 Hotels in Langkawi
Bath, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Hotel, Wonderful Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Spent three nights at The Andaman hotel and all I can say is Wow! We stayed in the poolside rooms which are definitely worth the extra money! So wonderful to walk out of your bedroom into the pool! We ate twice at Jala restaurant which was exquisite! Fine dining at it's best and included in the half board rate, great value for money! Don't bother with high heels by the way as although the restaurant is very sexy and trendy the floor is sand!!! I would recommend half board as the breakfasts are substantial and there is plenty of choice of places to eat in the hotel in the evening! Would love to go back!

Stayed March 2014
AndamanLangkawi, Executive Assistant Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Sianhavingfun,
You are very kind indeed… thank you for taking the time to post this wonderful review on Trip Advisor and thank you for choosing The Andaman for your recent stay on Langkawi.
I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed the stay with our Luxury Pool Access room. These new rooms are getting super guest comments with their exclusive and private use access to the Rainforest swimming pools – just wonderful!
I am especially happy to know that you took time and experience our newest dining venue “Jala” – this restaurant offered the most delicious local fish and seafood… I do think that bare foot on the sand is a wonderful idea when you enjoyed your meal with the most gorgeous location right on the beach. Thank you for your warm review towards our “Jala” – much appreciated!
Once again, thank you for your review on our resort again… and I am delighted to know that we may welcome you to The Andaman again. My team and I remain at your service.
With kind regards
Adrian Stoppe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Korean first
Broadbeach, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We travel extensively and enjoyed our stay very much and was good value.
Great position with clean white sandy beaches and views,
Great variety of eating venues with excellent selection and quality.
Plenty of helpful friendly staff yet quiet and peaceful.
A must see is the nearby Museum of ex P.M. Mohammad and his wife of gifts given to them during his 22yr. tenure, only a small fee for hotel car, take at least 2-3 hrs. to take it all in.
If we knew how much we were going to enjoy it we would have stayed longer.
Next Time I Hope

Room Tip: Higher floor with view
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Raylouis,
Well… you certainly made my day! Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent stay – and for taking time the time for posting this generous review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to know that you and your partner enjoyed the stay with us… and glad to know that our staff was helpful and friendly – just as it should be!
I do wholeheartedly agree that the beach at Datai Bay is wonderful. Indeed, National Geographic named this as one of the Top 10 Beaches in the world…and I know that I am biased, but I do agree. The combination of 10 million year old rainforest together with this beautiful beach is a little bit magical– and certainly unique to this corner of the island.
Thank you for experiencing all of our four restaurants with your kind remarks on the food quality and our service team… I have passed your message to our Food & Beverage Team and I do believe that you have made their day. Thank You!
Please allow me to say once again how grateful I am towards your feedback… and I am thrilled to know that we may welcome you again at The Andaman. Next time, we hope that you will come for a longer stay! My team and I look forward to taking care of you again at The Andaman
With warm regards
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

We stayed in a luxury ocean view room, which was very nice with a large bed. We checked in late in the evening and were disgusted with the state of the toilet, we asked for soap which didn't ever arrive, and empty fruit plates were left in the room for nearly the whole week.The main dining room could do with some updating and some of the sun bed mattresses and beach towels had definitely seen better days! The staff in the bar, and restaurants and around the pool, were charming and helpful. The fantastic spa, in a beautiful treetop setting is definitely worth a visit! Lots of fantastic wildlife, hornbills, monitor lizards and lots of monkeys! We stayed here 5 years ago and were rather sad as their standards do seem to be slipping.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
AndamanLangkawi, Executive Assistant Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Jane T,
Thank you for your recent stay and for posting this review – much appreciated.
Firstly I must specifically thank you for returning and I was sad and sorry to read your comments regarding your recent experience at The Andaman. I am never proud to know that we have failed to delight a guest, but I am always grateful for feedback, so that we can review, learn and improve.
I am especially happy to know that you enjoyed with our brand new Luxury Seaview Rooms. These rooms have just refurbished and completed few months ago… with the gorgeous new room styling and the blessing of a balcony and the stunning view of Datai Bay – just wonderful!
I am sorry to read your feedback regarding our housekeeping service…I am sad to know that our service did not meet your expectation level. Please accept my sincere apologies for not delivering expected services. My apologies – please rest assured that this point will definitely become a focus of our ongoing training initiatives. Thank you for sharing these detailed remarks.
Thank you for your compliment towards our service team… I am glad to know that they are friendly and helpful. I have passed your message to our service team and I do believe that you have made their day, thank you!
Kudos for you for trying V Botanical Spa – which is set on the hillside – so that the views from the spa across the bay are fantastic. As you discovered the spa villas are set up on the rainforest hillside and therefore have the most gorgeous views across the bay…and during a treatment, the only sound that you can hear is the sound of waves below and the rainforest around you – just relax. I continue to get great comments from our guests regarding the quality of our treatments.
Please allow me to say once again how grateful I am for your feedback – much valued and appreciated. I do hope that you may consider revisiting The Andaman again in the future. My team and I would very much like the opportunity to restore your faith in our resort again.
Kind regards,
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Our thinking was: Langkawi it is, let´s go to the best nature kind of quiet beach, money not the key concern, let´s go somewhere really nice, let´s look for the best hotel on the island. Found Datai and Andaman, booked Datai first, then cancelled after reading reviews and stayed at Andaman. So Andaman, here we go with the hopefully most helpful review on Andaman:

Overall:
At first we thought it was wrongly branded as a Starwood Luxury Collection. It is rather large and the last renovation probably has been a few years, so don´t expect the opulence of a St. Regis or the quiet super-postmodern luxury of a GHM property like a Chedi. At some point, we thought that a branding as a Sheraton resort (large, more standardized, one notch down from Luxury Collection) might have been less misleading. However, it was just the right hotel for us, as we felt that you "pay" for a Chedi etc. not only by actually paying a bit more, but also by having to put up with the "beautiful crowd", those fellow hotel guests that are always super-styled by the pool, too cool to be ever really enjoying themselves, super obnoxious and super at expressing their super-sophistication by showing off a very high need for excellent service, in combination with a well expressed frustration as soon as anything is short of perfection. long phrase, but know what I mean? Point is: guests here are truly relaxed, kids in the sand, super-easy going athmosphere, also good without kids. Even though my opening might have sounded on the negative side: you have all the luxury that you need here, just don´t expect golden faucets or Raffles-style servants and butlers.

Service:
- Overall: super friendly and nice
- Very nice and informative drivers both ways, (Do take hotel car, only 10US% or so more than public cab, not a rip-off like other places).
- Safe was broken the first day, took 2 days and 4 phone calls to have the third guy finally fix it, could have been done better, made bad first impression
- Fitness: Aqua yoga: my wife battled with jet-lag to get there by 10am, but then nobody showed up despite her advance booking. no explanations, no excuses. not acceptable for this kind of hotel. Spinning class: i couldn´t take it, since coach off to training in KL this week. Summary: there seems to be an issue with the fitness desk. the only true negative of our stay, was going to complain to guest experience manager, but then could´t be bothered.
- Restaurants (food very good at Japanese, Malaysian and Jala restaurant): all staff super nice, walked our baby sometimes, made us feel very good overall, super helpful

Comparison to Datai:
Datai is more outer-worldly. we walked there on the beach, nice pool near the beach, then a 200m flat walk through dark jungle (on a well maintained wooden walkway, no worries there) and then about 100-200 steps up to the beautiful, but somewhat coldly designed pool. will take you 8 min walking on the beach from Andaman to Datai, and then almost another 10 minutes to walk Datai beach to lobby! almost didn´t see any people around the hotel, to the point that it was not relaxed and spacey, but rather spooky and lonely. we acknowledge that on a rational luxury scale, Datai is definitely one notch up from the more family-oriented Andaman, but we were so happy to have chosen the Andaman. even if priced identically, Datai would not have won. lonely design luxury is not everything. (not to even mention the fact that they keep families out by making the main pool off-limits to kids.) even if honeymooning (without kids), the relaxed Andaman would have been better for us.

Beach:
Careful with the beach. At low tide, you might be even appalled by the messy, stinky rocks that are EVERYWHERE in front of the hotel (but not 100-200m further left in the bay). Make sure you hang out on the beach at high tide, when the water reaches the sandy parts with shade from the trees and when the water is so high that you can walk in on the sandy part, not being bothered by any rocks, truly paradise-like then. water and sand in general is good, but we learned not to expect Maldives-like sand and water on Langkawi or for that matter anywhere in the strait of Malaca.

Summary: Would go again with baby or without. I usually don´t write this much, and I guess this shows how the hotel managed to charm me and my wife successfully.

Room Tip: Room advice: Pool Access! Like most Starwood, Mandarin-Oriental, Shangri-La etc. properties, Andama...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear travelPro79,
Thank you for posting this wonderful review on Trip Advisor…and choosing our resort for your recent stay. I am so delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed the stay at The Andaman… and happy to know that our staff was friendly and took good care of you and your family during the stay.
Regarding our resort location, as you discovered it is located in a little corner of Langkawi Island… and surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest, with the 9th best beaches in the world (as per National Geographic). This side of the island is relatively un-populated and thus our water always stays clean and clear, quiet and undisturbed… if guests wish to have a tranquil, peaceful holiday close to nature …then this is the right spot to choose… especially for families.
I do acknowledge your remarks regarding our fitness service… thank you for sharing these detailed remarks. We always review guest comments as a team at our daily briefing meeting. I confess that none of us took any pleasure or pride in reading and reviewing the issues that you describe. Together with my colleagues, we reviewed each point this morning - and each of us took away specific actions, as well as learning and observations. I am never proud to know that we have failed to delight a guest, but I am always grateful for feedback which is integral as we journey towards improving the guest experience at our hotel. Thank you for candor this point.
It is kind of your to compliment our resort food quality and service team as well. I have passed your message to our Food & Beverage Team… and I do believe that you have made their day! Thank you, much appreciated!
I was interested to read your remarks regarding the beach. As you discovered, there is a fringing coral reef at our bay. The advantage of this is that our sand is coral sand, softer than seashell sand…and happily, even on the hottest of hot days, coral sand never gets hot. The tsunami of 2004, did a lot of damage to the reef…and at low tide, you can see a lot of loose corals on the beach. Twice per month, we arrange coral-clearings at low tide to take the loose pieces off the reef. It helps to preserve the health and wellbeing of the living coral colonies.
Please allow me to say once again thank you for your feedback – and it is my pleasure to welcome you and your family to our resort again. I remain at your service.
Warm regards,
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Overall I was happy with my stay. Service was good overall, despite a few flaws. We stayed in a renovated sea view room. Food is average.

Pros:
- The beach is the best in Langkawi.
- Room is beautiful and new (not all categories are)
- When they gave us wrong info on which categories are renovated, they offered a free upgrade. That's good service recovery
- Service is generally good
- Very quiet and peaceful. I think this is the best plus!

Cons:
- Food - their dinners and lunches are lackluster. I suggest going to their sister resort Datai.
- The pool area is dated
- Food arrives late

Overall, it is still a good stay and I recommend it to everyone.

Room Tip: Ask for the sea view category - worth the extra money because it is renovated and the view is nice.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Bankergirl1016,
Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent stay – and for taking time the time for posting this generous review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed the stay with us and glad to know that our staff took good care of you during the stay… just as it should be!
I am glad to know that you enjoyed our resort location…and I am absolutely agreed with you. As you discovered, our resort location is further away from the main touristic areas. The Andaman is surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest on a coral sand beach. National Geographic says that Datai Bay is the 9th best beach in the world …and if guests wish to have a tranquil, peaceful holiday close to nature …then this is the right spot to choose.
I do acknowledge your remarks regarding our resort food quality. I am sorry if the food quality was a cause of disappointment at times. It’s important to me that we offer value for money…and that our guests have their appetites fully satisfied at our restaurants. I will delve further into this issue with my food & beverage team. I offer no excuses - we must do better.
Please allow me to say once again how grateful I am towards your feedback… and it is kind of you to recommend our resort to other traveller through Trip Advisor, appreciated! I hope that you will visit us again at The Andaman. My team and I remain at your service.
With warm regards,
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Poor service all round made me wonder how this hotel managed to achieve Sheratons Luxury collection status . From check in all the way to the quality of the room there was simply nothing luxury about this resort . The food was average and being so far away you didn't have much of a choice. And as hard as the staff tried to make things right they just made things worse. Nice beach and beautiful setting but that's it .Avoid at all costs .

Stayed December 2013
Dear Hassan A,
Thank you for choosing The Andaman for your stay on Langkawi… and for taking the time to post this review. I am never proud to know that we have failed to delight a guest, but I am always grateful for feedback, so that we can review, learn and improve.
Thank you for the detailed nature of your review. As a team, we reviewed your comments at our morning briefing (as we do with all guest feedback), and we identified key learnings and specific action points.
I do acknowledge your remark regarding your recent stay at our resort…and I am sorry to read your remark. I do understand that if the environment did not meet your expectation level. It would be a frustration. Please accept my sincere apologies.
Thank you for your remarks regarding our resort food quality and service team… I do apologize if at any time, you felt that our service anything less than attentive and responsive. There are no excuses for shortfalls in the service that our guests receive. I am so sorry that this was your experience…please rest assured that this point will definitely become a focus of our ongoing training initiatives.
I am delighted to know that you enjoyed our resort location… and it is correct that the Andaman is in a more remote corner of the island. Our resort is set inside the rainforest on a coral sand beach. This is the place to choose if guests are looking for a connection with nature, and an escape from the busier parts of Langkawi.
Once again, thank you again for the candor of your comments – much valued and appreciated. I believe that holidays are very precious – and I am sorry that we were a cause of disappointment on this occasion. I do hope that you may consider revisiting The Andaman again in the future. If I may be of further assistance, please do contact me directly at adrian.stoppe@luxurycollection.com, my team and I remain at your service.
With sincere regards,
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Spent a long weekend here with my partner. The Andaman is a beautiful hotel located in a heavenly, secluded and peaceful bay on Langkawi.

WHAT I LOVED ABOUT IT
- An (almost) private beach makes it feel like paradise. The beach is shared with one other luxury hotel much further down the beach.
- The wildlife - many birds, monkeys and squirrels as you walk around the resort.
- Luxurious and relaxing hotel. Lots of common areas to relax in around the resort.
- Great wifi accessible all throughout the resort and on multiple devices.
- Great gym too!

A COUPLE OF THINGS TO WATCH OUT FOR
- You absolutely need to make sure you lock your balcony doors & windows ALWAYS. We had a surprise visit from a monkey in our room one morning. The monkeys sometimes go from balcony to balcony checking for unlocked doors and they are smart enough to open the door, come in and raid your minibar. I saw it happen before my eyes while I was in the room. The front-desk tells you on check-in to lock your balcony doors but we didn't bother as we didn't believe the monkeys can do this.. but they can!
- Our flight was at 8pm and we could not get a late checkout at all. We had to check out at 12pm. I thought this was going to be uncomfortable but it was actually fine as the resort has many daybeds around the beach bar and pool where you can basically sit at all day with attentive staff looking after you.

ROOMS
We stayed in a deluxe room on the first night and a luxury seaview room on our second night. The seaview room is significantly more expensive (double the price of a deluxe room). While it had slightly better fittings, a balcony with chairs, and much more natural light, it probably isn't worth double unless you intend on spending a lot of time in your room. I was very grateful for the upgrade though.

LOCATION
The hotel is not near anything else in Langkawi. Once you arrive here for your stay, you probably won't leave as it's such a relaxing place and leaving to get into town is slightly inconvenient.

MEALS & DRINKS
There are several different dining options at the resort so you really don't need to leave at all. With all the meals & drinks consumed at the resort, the tab at the end of your stay is not cheap (but nobody should be going to Langkawi to save money!). At the end of a full 3 day stay our food & drink tab was around US$450 for 2 people. We weren't holding back though and had many cocktails, wine and full restaurant meals.
We did skip the buffet breakfast and just had a snack at the beach bar which opens at 10am. The buffet breakfast is MYR80 per person. At the Beach Bar you can get a meal for MYR20 and be full (and you also get to sit on the gorgeous beach!).

TRANSPORT
- You can easily get from the airport to the hotel with a regular taxi. There is a desk inside the airport terminal and it's a MYR60 flat fee paid up front.
- You will need to rely on the hotel's private cars to get you back to the airport. We negotiated ours for MYR80 (the listed starting price for a basic car was MYR110).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mermaid00mermaid,
How wonderful you are! Thank you for taking the time to post this generous review on Trip Advisor and thank you for choosing our resort for your recent stay. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed the stay with our natural environment… just relax.
I am thrilled to know that you have a great time at our coral sand beach. Datai Bay recognized as the 9th best beach in the world by National Geographic, I know that I am biased, but I do agree that it is one of the best beaches in Asia!
As you discovered, The Andaman is surrounded by a 10 million year old rainforest… and because so many of our trees and fauna were protected and maintained from the very start, the wildlife had no reason to move …and so we all (guests, monkeys, lemurs, hornbills etc) live in perfect peace together (most days!). I do also acknowledge that we sometimes have issues with the cheeky Macaque monkeys. I will continue to look at ways to allow them to live peacefully around the rainforest, without irritating our guests.
Thank you for experiencing all of our four restaurants and I do acknowledge your review regarding our pricing. . We do monitor our prices compared to the other similar hotels on the island. As a result I had always felt that our prices were in line with our competitor hotels….but I will continue to check. It’s important to me that we offer value for money for our guests. Thank you for your candor on this point, much appreciated.
Thank you for your review towards our resort – much appreciated! My team and I would be delighted to welcome you back to The Andaman.
With warm regards
Adrian Stoppe

Been to The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!