“An excellent place to stay in a quiet atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Stay Longer For Less
Ranked #5 of 96 Hotels in Langkawi
Munich, Germany
“An excellent place to stay in a quiet atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

An excellent place to stay in a quiet atmosphere
Our stay in the Andaman over 4 nights was awesome. Since our room wasn’t ready at check-in we were given another room with a view onto the beach. The room and the bathroom were clean and in a very good condition. Only the shower drain didn’t function properly, which was fixed later on. The staff in the hotel was helpful and easily responded to various different requests and organized tours and rides. The Andaman offers different restaurants for dining. We tried the Jala, Malaysian and Italian one. All of them offered a nice variety of great dishes. All in all we enjoyed our stay there and recommend the place for everyone who enjoys staying in a quiet beach resort.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
AnneEScott, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear MrScrat,
Well…you certainly made my day! Thank you for posting this generous review on Trip Advisor – much appreciated! I am thrilled to know that you and your family enjoyed the stay with us.
For our resort location, you are absolutely right. The Andaman is located in a little corner of Langkawi island, surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest and coral sand beach. This side of the island is relatively un-populated and if guests wish to have a tranquil, peaceful holiday close to nature …then this is the right spot to choose.
Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. I am sorry to know that there were issues with water drainage…but I am glad to know that our staff solved the room issue efficiently. Thank you.
It is kind of you to compliment to our restaurant venues – especially our newest dining venue “Jala”. This restaurant has the most gorgeous location right on the beach - and offering the most delicious local fish and seafood. I continue to get great comments from our guests regarding the variety and quality of food.
Please allow me to say once again how grateful I am for your feedback – and it is kind of you to recommend our resort to other travelers through Trip Advisor. My team and I look forward to taking care of you again at The Andaman.
With kind regards
Anne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Korean first
Kulim, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stayed at The Andaman for 3days 2 night is June'13. It was one of the best experience I've had. Very nice rooms, helpful staffs, good spread of buffet. However, if the spread can be changed everyday, it would be better. Our breakfast for 2 days was almost identical. My husband was very satisfied with the gym. Only one con, the hotel is situated about 30-40 minutes drive from Kuah town. Which means, we wasted quite a considerable amount of time travelling. Besides that, everything else was amazing. Loved the fact that the beach was just a stone's throw away and was very well kept. This is a place I would definitely come back to again, if there's a chance. :-)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Rathi_Malar,
How kind you are! Thank you for choosing The Andaman for your stay on Langkawi…and for taking the time to post this review on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed the stay with us… and happy to know that our staff was helpful and took good care of you – just as it should be!
Thank you for your kind comments on our breakfast at “The Restaurant”…and I do acknowledge your remark on breakfast variety. Aside from the daily favourites such as roti canai, nasi lemak etc, our kitchen team rotate hot dishes daily. I am interested in your comment however and I have shared this review with my kitchen team during the morning briefing – and we continue to monitor this as breakfast is a most important meal.
It is kind of you to highloght “V Fitness” - and as you discovered, it is equipped with all the latest TechnoGym equipment….offering very nice rainforest views while you are exercise.
Regarding our resort location, I would certainly agree with you. As you discovered, it is located in a little corner of Langkawi Island, further away from the main touristic areas… and this side of the island is relatively un-populated and thus our water always stays clean and clear, quiet and undisturbed. If a guest would like to explore the island, they may take advantage of our shuttle service that goes into either Kuah or Cenang each day. The shuttle service is complimentary to all the guests.
I am especially happy to know that you enjoyed our beach. Datai Bay has been recognized by National Geographic as the 9th best beach in the world… although I am biased, I do agree.
Once again, thank you for your generous comment toward our resort – and I am glad to know that we may welcome you at The Andaman again. My team and I remain at your service.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We went back to Andaman with the kids after going to the sister hotel, the Datai, 10 years ago for our Honeymoon. The beach and bay were just as we remember it; beautiful sand and lovely sea/scenary. We had a great time and so did the kids at both the beach and the pool.
The spa was brilliant with a good range of treatments and I really enjoyed by kahuna wave massage. Very friendly staff who made our stay comfortable and easy (Daia took us trekking to Crystal Creek and managed to get the kids more used to the rain forest, Marcel at the front desk was very good with the kids, Alias the restaurant manager always very friendly and the lady who ran the reservations desk by the lobby bar was brilliant and managed to get western food for our son so we could enjoy our japanese buffet).
Only let down was the poor welcome; where it took ages for us to be acknowledged then checked in and finally to get to our rooms.
We were at the other SPG (Westin) last year. Both are good in their own ways though Andaman undoubtedly has the best beach and views. Westin on the other hand had a better spa and gym and had better wifi. Westin also had a better welcome (room was ready, check in was done in our room, etc).

Room Tip: SPG wing has great sea views.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
AnneEScott, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear J_Barnet1973,
Welcome back to The Andaman Resort! Thank you for choosing The Andaman as part of your return to Langkawi. I am delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed the stay with our natural environment.
I am grinned at your mention of our coral sand beach. As you discovered, Datai Bay has recognized by National Geographic as the 9th best beaches in the world…and I certainly agree that this is one of the best beaches in Asia.
Thank you for your warm words on our “V Botanical Spa”. I am very glad to know that you enjoyed your spa treatment. - I continue to get great comments from our guests regarding the spa treatment!
I am glad to know that our staff took good care of you during the stay… and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to recognize Daia, Marcel, Alias and Rachel for their great hospitality service to you – just as it should be!
I am sorry to read your feedback on the check-in experience – especially with regarding the welcoming. I am sad to know that our service did not meet your expectation level…I offer no excuses for this - we must do better.

Once again, thank you for your generous comment toward our resort. I hope that you will visit us again at The Andaman. My team and I remain at your service.

Asia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

First let's give credit where credit's due. The location of the hotel is really nice and secluded. With a backdrop of a tropical rainforest and a nice beach right in front, it's a good place for a family vacation. The facilities such as the swimming pool and the water slide are nice for the young ones.

The main problem we have is that the resort is completely overrun with flies. Flies on the food during breakfast. Flies all over your body while laying by the pool. And even more troubling is the fact the staff seems oblivious to this,leaving the food uncovered at the buffet, and bringing food to the pool without a cover (which means we pretty much have to throw away half of the food because flies beat us to it). Really annoying and makes you question the sanitary standards of the hotel.

The staff are warm and friendly, but some are ill-trained. Not a big deal. Room was small and spartan, definitely not "luxury" collection as the name implies.

Food is expensive by local standards and quite average. Consider you're 45 minutes away from town there's not much choice. We tried the restaurants at the Datai next door and they are wonderful. And guess what? Not a single fly around.

All and all this would be a wonderful family resort if there were no flies. Definitely not for romantic couples as almost 90% of the guests were family with young children.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear ZhengHeAsia,

Thank you for choosing The Andaman for your stay on Langkawi…and for taking the time to post this review on Trip Advisor. I am happy to know that our staff was welcoming and friendly – just as it should be!

Regarding our resort location, you are absolutely correct! It is located in a little corner of Langkawi island, surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest and coral sand beach. This side of the island is relatively un-populated and if guests wish to have a tranquil, peaceful holiday close to nature …then this is the right spot to choose for families!

Regarding the flies issue, we have had a number of comments on flied in the last few days…and I am sorry that these disturbed your stay so much. I am happy to report that “flurry” of flies has (thankfully) passed, although I also acknowledge that there will never be no insects at all in a tropical location. I do understand that it would be a frustration while the flies are around you…we continue to monitor this as it can be a important issue which needs to be managed.
I note your comment about there being no flies at The Datai..and for the sake o good order, I would add that there are no flies in the evening at The Andaman either…but that both locations can have challenges during daytime.

I was interested to read your review regarding our food pricing issue. We do monitor our prices compared to the other similar hotels on the island. As a result I had always felt that our prices were in line with our competitor hotels….but I will continue to check. It’s important to me that we offer value for money for our guests. Thank you for your candor on this point.

KL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

The term "a luxury collection resort" should be reconsidered.

I stayed at the Andaman for 5 days in December 2013.

Here are some of the things I liked and didn't like about the place. I liked the check in. Service was prompt, check-in was unique (I've never been asked to take a seat whilst trying to check-in before), the location of the hotel was breathtaking, the whole rain forest theme was beautiful, the sounds of the forests (day and night) were magical, the beach was pristine, hermit crabs and seashells were such an attraction for my kids. Snorkeling within a few feet of the beach, one could see tiny fishes dart by and little sea creatures beneath. The coral pool was such an attraction too.

Lunch by the beach side was equally a treat, and the service staff, though busy on the weekends took time to speak to us, making our stay that much more special.

I loved that they thought of serving icy cold water by the pool side several times each morning, I also loved the idea of the SPG kids specials, whereby my kids could have whatever they wanted to eat all day on a flat fee. The kids club was also a wonderful addition and their activities, fun. The business center was adequate, my husband had to take a few conference calls while we were there, but the PC's had good connection and the kids were online while I had a cup of tea (free coffee and tea making service is included), which was good.

What I didn't quite like about the place was that - for the price one pays per room with breakfast, and the whole "luxury collection" tag line that comes with the place - well, I was expecting something more. To begin with we were asked to wait an hour, as our rooms were not ready (although they were very nice and apologetic about it), but the moment we stepped into our rooms we realised that - (1) the phones were not working, (2) the bathroom scales were not working, (3) there were hazardous nails exposed to the back of the back rest on the daybed (within reach of my children, and their inquisitive hands) (in fact I was rudely pricked while trying to adjust the back rest); and (4) when we requested for extra pillows, it took 3 attempts to get it (and since the phone lines were out, it meant that we had walk all the way back to the reception to let them know).

The breakfast spread was rather dismal, and there were flies everywhere. Much of the common corridors looked very dated, with light fittings that were rusty and lined with cob webs. The rooms are also looking tired, although house keeping has kept it clean.

We had similar problems, like the others who left reviews here - in that we also experienced billing mistakes, rather frightening encounters were huge lizards, and food that didn't always meet our expectation (during one of our meals there, we waited 45 minutes for our food and when it came, it was dry, over-cooked and not as described in the menu, but to their credit they apologize quickly when pointed out, and took it off our bill).

Overall, it was a lazy holiday, we spent lots of time by the beach or the poolside. The children's slide was a bonus. Although the hotel is located a good 40 minutes or more from the town, we had rented a car from the airport and spent our evenings and dinners out and about. As such, the location didn't bother us.

Room Tip: The rooms come with a huge "L-shaped" daybed. If you put in a request, housekeeping could...
Dear FlyTravel,
Thank you for choosing The Andaman for your stay on Langkawi…and for taking the time to post this review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed our resort natural environment.

I would certainly agree with you regarding our resort location. As you discovered, The Andaman is further away from the main touristic areas… surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest and coral sand beach. I do agree with you about hiring a car to explore this island… and as you found out you can hire a car from our resort quite spontaneously. The roads on Langkawi are well made and it is almost impossible to get lost.

I am especially happy to know that you enjoyed our beach. Datai Bay has recognized by National Geographic as the 9th best beaches in the world… although I am biased, but I do agree.

Thank you for your compliment on our “Tepian Laut”… we just completed the replacement of the wooden deck here… and with it location right next to the beach, we are really pleased with the finished result. Kudos to you for opting for the SPG Kids Pass – it is an easy and value-led option for busy parents of hungry little-ones. I am grinned to know that your children engaged with our Young Explorers Club. This club is for our younger guests to cool down and relax, in between outdoor activities that are fun, engaging and promote learning.

I am sorry to read your comment toward the room you were assigned…and I acknowledge your remarks about the need for updating of our room. As you may have discovered, our resort has just completed a renovation on our Seaview rooms – as well as the creation of Jacuzzi Studio Suites and Plunge Pool suites of the ground floor of the north wing. I feel positive about the plans that we have in place for upgrading and renovating the physical aspects of the resort and our guest rooms. Our team on property are committed to driving this plan forward – as well as managing it carefully and positively so that guests still enjoy a comfortable and relaxing stay with us - and I also acknowledge that we need to get there faster!

I do acknowledge you remark on the flies… Of course, in a tropical location, there will never be no-files…but that “flurry” of flies has (thankfully) passed. We continue to monitor this as it can be a seasonal issue which needs to be managed.Besides, thank you for your valued review regarding our food quality during your dining experience and the billing issue during the checkout.
We reviewed your comments as a team at our daily briefing meeting. I confess that none of us took any pleasure or pride in reading and reviewing the issues. Together with my Food & Beverage and Front Office colleagues, we reviewed each point - and each of us (including me) took away specific actions, as well as learning and observations.

Once again, I am glad to know that you and your family enjoyed our swimming pool and the beach. Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback regarding your stay at The Andaman…your comments are much valued and appreciated. I do hope that we may welcome you again at The Andaman.

dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

We just spent 5 nights at the Andaman and we are sure to never come back.
On the positive, the hotel is set on the best beach and the best bay of Langkawi. Also the rainforest and its wild life are beautiful and exciting.
On the negative, here is the list:
-totally outdated, small and dark bedroom, still charged at above 230 USD
-noisy bedroom (hallway, neighbors, lizards)
-appalling service: our TV never worked despite 4 requests to have it fixed, mistakes in billing
-subpar food in their 4 restaurants despite overcharging for it. Expect big cities prices for average food in average setting with appalling service (no initiative, lack of customer service, slow, forgetting orders, billing mistakes)
For families, the hotel could have some benefits, forget about it if you are a couple.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
AnneEScott, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
Dear Colvert,
Thank you for choosing The Andaman for your stay on Langkawi… and for taking the time to post this review. It is never a pleasure to know that we disappointed a guest but I am always grateful for feedback so that we may learn and improve.
It is kind of your to compliment toward our resort location and the beautiful beach. Datai Bay has been recognized as the 9th best beach in the world by National Geographic. This side of the island is relatively un-populated and if guests wish to have a tranquil, peaceful holiday close to nature …then this is the right spot to choose for families and couples.
I am sad to read your comments regarding the room you were assigned… and your remarks about the need for updating of our rooms. As you may have discovered, our resort has completed a renovation on all our Seaview rooms – as well as the creation of Jacuzzi Studio Suites and Plunge Pool suites of the ground floor of the north wing. I feel positive about the plans that we have in place for upgrading and renovating the physical aspects of the resort and our guest rooms. Our team on property are committed to driving this plan forward – as well as managing it carefully and positively so that guests still enjoy a comfortable and relaxing stay with us - and I also acknowledge that we need to get there faster!
I am sorry if food quality was a cause of disappointment and I do acknowledge your review regarding our food pricing issue. We do monitor our prices compared to the other similar hotels on the island. As a result I had always felt that our prices were in line with our competitor hotels….but I will continue to check. It’s important to me that we offer value for money for our guests. Thank you for your candor on this point.

Regarding the issue with your television, I read your feedback with our Front Office Team during the morning briefing. I will not take up your time with excuses – and I apologise for this unacceptable shortcoming.

Once again, thank you again for the candor of your comments – much valued. I believe that holidays are very precious – and I am sorry that we were a cause of disappointment. I do hope that you may consider revisiting The Andaman again in the future. My team and I would very much like the opportunity to restore your faith in our resort again. I remain at your service.
Kind regards
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

The secluded nature of the beach, its cleanliness and the amazing views makes this resort quite special.

I do think that parts of the hotel could be renovated a bit more - particularly the breakfast area.

I was disappointed by the food. The Japanese restaurant was good, but overall, not enough Asian/local options. We often are at the Datai next door as you can cross sign on your room account for either hotel.

Not much to do on the rest of the island, and the Andaman is a solid hour from the town centre - but there's really nothing to see there. We really enjoyed just lazing on the beach and enjoying the crystal clear blue water.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jetlagwoofer,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent stay… and taking the time to post this review on Trip Advisor – much appreciated! I am delighted to know that you enjoyed the stay with us.

I would certainly agree with you regarding our resort location. This rainforest side of the island is relatively un-populated and thus our water always stays clean and clear, quiet and undisturbed… if guests wish to have a tranquil, peaceful holiday close to nature …this is definitely a little paradise in Langkawi Island.

I do acknowledge your review about the need for updating of our resort. As you saw, we have just done phase 2 of a rooms renovation, built a new seafood restaurant and beach bar – and done a complete replacement of the wooden deck next to the poolside and beach. The restaurant and the pool deck is also on my list…and we will schedule this work sometime after the high season.

I am sorry if food quality was a cause of disappointment at times. It’s important to me that we offer value for money…and that our guests have their appetites fully satisfied at our restaurants. I will delve further into this issue with my food & beverage team. I offer no excuses - we must do better.

Once again, thank you for your review toward our resort… I am thrilled to know that enjoyed our coral sand beach. Datai Bay is recognized as the 9th best beach in the world by National Geographic, and I do agree that it is one of the best beaches in Asia!

Anne

Been to The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!