“Magical & Faultless” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 98 hotels in Langkawi
Ripon, England, United Kingdom
“Magical & Faultless”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

For my wife's birthday we planed a special holiday in Lagkawi, we chose the Andaman having stayed in Starwood's Luxury Collection Hotels in the past and always having first class experiences.

Again, we were not disappointed. The hotel is set in a magical location with Datai Bay to the front, boosting one of the top 10 beaches in the world and impressive rain forest to the rear.

The rooms are impressive, we had one looking out to the bay which had fantastic views perfect for watching the sunset with a glass of wine on the balcony. We eat in all the restaurants and I can only describe the food as superb. We also arranged a romantic dinner in our room with some very good friends who had flown in from Australia it was outstanding the food. Brilliant it with amazing attention to detail and level of Service was second to note. The chef presented to food impeccably the team that look after us magical a once in a lift time experience we felt like royalty.

The staff were excellent, friendly and accommodating nothing was to much trouble. We took various tours and excursions all of which the hotel team booked for They also organised cars and all transportation

This has to have been the best holiday we have taken real attention to detail and truly outstanding.

If you want a special holiday look no further you will be spoilt and impressed.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
AnneEScott, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Herring64,

How kind you are ! Thank you so much for taking the time to write and post this wonderful review on Trip Advisor – and especially for choosing our resort to celebrate your wife’s birthday…we love special occasions!

I am delighted to know that you both enjoyed the stay with us…and I would certainly agree with your comment about our location. We do think that the combination of coral sand beach and 10 million year old rainforest is quite magical – and it is certainly unique to this little corner of Langkawi. As you know, National Geographic says that this is the 9th best beach in the world, and I do agree!

Kudos to you for experiencing all of our four restaurants - and thank you for your kind remarks on our food quality and in-room dining… I have passed your message to our Food & Beverage Team - I think you have made their day as well!

Thank you for your compliment on our service and I am glad to know that our staff was friendly and attentive…it is our pleasure to provide our best service to every guest.
Please allow me to say once again how grateful I am for your feedback. My team and I look forward to taking care of you again at The Andaman.
With kind regards

1,832 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Fabulous beach, wonderful resort, perfect stay, spa experience is something you will not forget.
The staff are fantastic, nothing is too much trouble, and are very knowledgable. Rooms are immaculate, fabulous bedding, everything you could need with good views of forest and wildlife. The beach is perfect. Beach bar and Jala seafood restaurant and all eateries really good and have healthy menu at each. The Spa secluded on hilltop with tropical breeze is the best. The Andaman is out of town but it is so wonderful it is worth the drive.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better view of beach and wildlife.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Cheryl R,

Ooo …you really made my day! Thank you for posting this review on Trip Advisor…and for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at The Andaman. I am glad to know that our staff took good care of you and your friends during the stay.

I am especially happy to know that your room met your high expectations. Thank you for your warm words.

I must agree with your comment about our beach – as you know, National Geographic says that this is the 9th best beach in the world! This side of the island is relatively un-populated and thus our water stays clean and clear – and our beach stays quiet and undisturbed… As you discovered, our resort is further away from the main touristic areas…however, it is relatively easy to drive around the island and explore the secrets of Langkawi.

Thank you for your compliment on our “Beach Bar” and “Jala” - both of these venues do have the most gorgeous location right on the beach - and the very best views. Jala is our newest dining venue offering the most delicious local fish and seafood. I continue to get great comments from our guests regarding the quality of dining experience.
Kudos for you for trying V Botanical Spa - set on the hillside and the views from the spa across the bay are fantastic. There is a real treat to be enjoyed from “nature’s soundtrack” at the Spa…with only the sound of waves below and the rainforest around you.
Thanks again for your generous comments - I hope that you will visit us again at The Andaman. My team and I remain at your service.

With warm regards,

Seoul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We chose The Andaman because the sustainable development claim seemed sincere, not mere storytelling. Typically, we found courageous the decision to follow Dr Gerry Goeden's recommendation to revive the coral reef instead of buldozing it like other resorts.

The Andaman shows the way for the future of luxury resorts: respectful, not arrogant. For instance, it doesn't negate its environment but maintains the continuity from the rainforest to the beach, so wildlife can roam everywhere: a flying lemur sleeping on a small island on the pool, giant squirrels and rare birds playing over your head when you rest under a tree at the beach, monkeys and geckos parading as you walk from your room to the lobby... They are permanent residents, and feel comfortable too. Note that Fflying lemurs seem to use walls as a natural protection from their predator (the eagle, often on patrol in the afternoon skies).

Yes, parts of the resort are under renovation, but so is the coral reef, and it feels normal.

The staff is not only very kind and professional, but motivated and obviously happy to be part of a sound project.They also take part to the coral reef cleaning sessions, an interesting initiative involving all stakeholders, including resort guests. I'd love to see local schools invited too, and to see Dr Goeden's new fish and coral nursery project go live. His coral nursery opened a couple of years ago is already a success and worth the tour.

We've visited many great places, but this is the one we want to come back to when we need to relax and reload with positive energy.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
AnneEScott, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Errgo,
Well…you made my day, Errgo! Thank you for choosing The Andaman for your stay… I am especially happy to know that you chose our resort is due to our Coral project and Dr. Gerry! I am so happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at The Andaman.
Yes…you are absolutely correct about our resort location! Our resort is located in a little corner of Langkawi Island - surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest and the tranquil Datai Bay and an 8,000 year old fringing coral reef. As you know, our resort is inside the rainforest – and because so many of the trees and fauna were protected and maintained from the very start, the wildlife had no reason to move …and so we all (guests, monkeys, lemurs, hornbills et al) live in perfect peace together (most days!).
Regarding renovation, you are correct that the north wing is currently renovation – and I am glad to know that the renovations did not disturb your stay. I am super excited about our new Luxury rooms and suites at the north wing. They are being to be gorgeous!!

It is kind of you to highlight about our Coral Clearing activity in our resort. This small fringing reef was badly damaged in the 2004 Tsunami – and our team runs a series of activities to help educate ourselves and our guests on this fragile eco-system. Every month during low tides, we do coral clearing to remove pieces of dead coral (which otherwise roll around and damage the growing coral), and we also do guided reef walks. We opened the Andaman Coral Nursery 18 months ago and – as well as a rich marine home – it also serves as a venue to grow baby corals to help populate the reef at our bay. Thank you for your encouragement.

Please allow me to say once again how grateful I am for your wonderful feedback…especially toward our Coral Nursery Project. My team and I would be delighted to welcome you back to The Andaman…and to show you the results of our renovation projects. I remain at your service.

Kind regards

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Beautiful!
Went with kids - they had an awesome time. Excellent service, very friendly!

Amazing pool area for kids and adults. Beach few steps away from the pool area. Few beach activities availabe like kayak rental, boat rentals etc!

Had a lovely memorable time with family. Would highly recommend to all my friends and would love to go again myself the second time!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Amitjulius,
Thank you for these generous comments on Trip Advisor. I am so delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed the stay at The Andaman and our unique rainforest environment.

I do wholeheartedly agree that the beach at Datai Bay is wonderful. Indeed, National Geographic named this as one of the Top 10 Beaches in the world…and I know that I am biased, but I do agree. The combination of 10 million year old rainforest together with this beautiful beach is a little bit magical… Our resort is further away from the main touristic areas…and if guests wish to have a tranquil, restful holiday close to nature …then this is the right spot.

Thank you for your generous comments toward our resort…and I am especially happy to know that you would recommend our resort to your friends. I do hope that we may welcome you and your familyagain to The Andaman… See you soon!

With warm regards,

Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We left the Sheraton Langkawi after a dreadful experience and headed to the Andaman. Half way through our 6 day holiday, it was going to be tough to turn it around; but the Andamon did from the moment we walked in. The room was cosy but easily fit all 4 of us, the pool was great with the added bonus of a slide. Unlike the brown beach water at the Sheraton, the beach at the Andaman was a beautiful blue green...there were a few minor cuts from rocks and coral under the water (but at least we could get in the water). The gym was clean and modern, cocktail as they should be...the BEST part was the nightly dinner of freshly caught fish at the beach front restaurant where you literally eat with sun under your feet - just perfect! Oh, and GO TO THE SPA!!! Well worth the money

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Galesloots,
How very kind you are!! Thank you for choosing The Andaman for your stay…and for taking the time to write and post this warm and generous review. I am so happy to know that you enjoyed the stay with us.
It is kind of you to compliment the swimming pool and our coral sand beach. As you know National Geographic says that this is the 9th best beach in the world, although I am biased… but I do agree! I am so sorry to know that your friend got cut by coral reef. The coral reef is the source of the soft coral sand at our beach…however I acknowledge that it can also be a source of cuts at low tide.
I grinned when I read your feedback on “Jala” and to know that you enjoyed your fisherman experience. “Jala” is the newest dining venue offering the most delicious local fish and fresh seafood. We have had super guest comments regarding the quality of seafood… Jala does have the most gorgeous location right on the beach - and the very best views of the sunset, as you discovered.
Kudos to you for experiencing our spa treatment, as you know the spa villas are set up on the rainforest hillside and therefore have the most gorgeous views across the bay. It’s the only spa in the world, where I recommend guests take a camera!
Thank you again for your warm words regarding your stay. I do hope that we may welcome you again at The Andaman.

Kind regards

Lugano, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Had a great time at this hotel, the Location and the service from the staff was really excellent. If you are looking for a really peaceful resort with natural surrounding, with monkeys/lemurs etc around, you will enjoy every minute.

The Staff are really helpful, and the rooms are immaculate and clean, we also get a last call in the evening if you need any further service in the room, change of towels etc, really excellent service. The rooms also provide you with Nespresso coffee machine - this is really great for the expresso lovers and also free bottles of mineral water is supplied everyday.

Had a great evening with the General Manager - Miss Anne Scott, this was really great fun and was also refreshing to see the GM with the guests and someone who is truly interested in the guest's view and opinion.

It was our first time in Langkawi at Andaman and with our experience this time, we will visit Andaman again and have no hesitation in recommending this place to others ( Please note that this is a really peaceful resort - its not your busy touristic place )

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Piyush47,
Ooo…you really made my day! Thank you for posting this review on Trip Advisor…and for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at The Andaman.

I am so happy that you and your partner enjoyed the time at our resort. As you discovered, our resort is set inside a 10 million year old rainforest on a coral sand beach. I give credit to the original architect of The Andaman for designing the hotel such that the hotel is inside the rainforest – and because so many of the trees and fauna were protected and maintained from the very start, the wildlife had no reason to move …and so we all (guests, monkeys, lemurs, hornbills et al) live in perfect peace together (most days!). In a meantime, this side of the island is relatively un-populated, our beach always stays quiet and undisturbed… and if guests wish to have a tranquil, peaceful holiday…then this is the right spot to choose!
I am so pleased to know that our staff were helpful, took good care of you… and I am delighted to know that you and your partner enjoyed the stay with our room facilities and amenities (including the coffee maker!)
It was my pleasure to meet you during your visit to The Andaman. I try to meet as many guests as I can during their stay….although I confess that I do better some weeks more than others!
Please allow me to say once again how grateful I am for your feedback – and it is kind of you to recommend our resort to other travellers. My team and I look forward to taking care of you again at The Andaman. If I may be of further assistance in any regards, please do let me know.

With kind regards

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Travelled here recently with two young kids. Beautifully landscaped premises and very friendly service. Stayed in a garden terrace room thinking kids may want the garden but we never went out as it's not meant for play. Because it rained a lot, the cushions were wet so we couldn't sit on the lounge chair. So I'd definitely go with a room on the upper floors where you get a nice view of the sea (all we saw was the jungle). Pool is nice but has some abrupt changes in depth which are not signposted so you need to be careful. Pool depth for slide is about 1.3m so only one of our kids was able to use it by herself. Large wading pool. Food is delicious but very expensive, especially for dinner. Kids menu is fantastic, with a mix of healthy Asian and Western options that go way beyond chicken nuggets, and kids under 4 eat for free off the menu. Hotel is far from town so if you travel with kids I recommend bringing your supplies, though their gift shop has a small selection of toiletries including diapers, and some very basic snacks. Hotel has two big buckets of sand toys so you don't need to pack your own. Kids playroom came in really handy when it was raining and it's close to the restaurant so you can leave your kids there for a while if they're old enough.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Friendlybird,

Thank you for choosing The Andaman for your stay on Langkawi…and for taking the time to post this review. I am glad to know that our staff was welcoming and took good care of you and your family during the stay. I am sorry to know that you had rainy spells during your stay. This can be the case at this time of year….although I am happy to add that the temperature never falters…and so at least it is warm rain !

Thank you for your comments on the swimming pool. As you know the pool is edged on 2 sides by rainforest…and fronts straight onto the beach. I do acknowledge your comment about our swimming pool depth signage and I will give some thought to that.

I am especially happy to read your feedback on our Kids Menu – I continue to get great comments from our guests regarding the various choice of food in our restaurant as well. I was interested to read your remarks regarding pricing and value for money. We do monitor our prices compared to the other similar hotels on the island. As a result I had always felt that our prices were in line with our competitor hotels….but I will continue to check, it’s important to me that we offer value for money for our guests.

I would certainly agree with your comment about our resort location. It is true that our resort is far from the hustle and bustle of Cenang and town area…but certainly a special little spot if you are looking to escape.We do think that the combination of coral sand beach and 10 million year old rainforest is quite magical – and it is certainly unique to this little corner of Langkawi.

As you discovered, our gift shop is located in the main lobby and offer a wide selection of amenities. However, if guest would like to shop in town – guest may take advantage of the shuttle that goes into either Kuah or Cenang each day. The shuttle service is complimentary to all the guests or you may hire a car from our resort which you can do quite spontaneous at our resort.

Once again, thank you for your comments. My team and I would be delighted to welcome you back to The Andaman.

With warm regards

Anne

Been to The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!