“Absolutely Marvellous” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 96 Hotels in Langkawi
Sydney, Australia
“Absolutely Marvellous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

The Andaman is an travellers dream! A Tropical paradise in the middle of nowhere yet within easy reach of bustling population of about 80,000. We were impressed with our arrival and we we were upgraded from the North Wing (which we had originally booked) to a poolside room. What a treat! It did not lack for comfort and with free wi-fi everything was at hand. The staff did their utmost to make life perfect and anything you wanted all you had to do was ask. The Spa is definitely worth a visit - just to see the view from the various villas where the spa is based. Ever sat in a beautiful warm bath redolent of aromas of the tropics (and liberally filled with beautiful orchids) and gazed out sea at sunset - if not, try it, it is well worth it. The staff at the Spa also rate a 5 star mention. By the way it is called "V Integrated wellness". The yoga master is also worth a try. We thought the meals were interesting and varied - the porridge at breakfast was a real treat - how many other hotels would supply that and the bread was to die for also. We had all the buffets on hand over Hari Raya and thought the trouble they staff went to enhanced the experience. Our only disappointment was the Japanese buffet. The widlife is also a treat - beware the monkeys are very partial to bread roles! Would we go back there tomorrow - you bet!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
AnneEScott, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Gerigypsies,

You are very kind!! Thank you for these kind and gracious remarks – and for taking the time to post this review. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your Andaman experience with us – and I am very pleased to know that our staff took good care of you – just exactly as it should be.

I must agree with your comment about our location – this is definitely the location to choose for people who enjoy a secluded and tranquil resort surrounded by rainforest and nature. Our resort is set inside a 10 million year old rainforest on a coral sand beach. As you know, National Geographic says that this is the 9th best beach in the world… and if guests wish to have a tranquil, restful holiday close to nature …then this is the right spot to choose – and as you discovered, shade on the beach is provided by the trees of the rainforest, and these play home to kingfishers, eagles and hornbills, with monkeys as frequent visitors.

Kudos to you enjoyed our new Luxury Pool Access rooms, with their exclusive and private use access to the Rainforest swimming pools. These new rooms are getting super guest comments.

It is kind of you to mention our V Botanical Spa. As you discovered, the Spa is perched on the hillside and the views overlooking the bay are wonderful. Many guests comment on the environment, the quality of treatments, and there is something special about the sound of ocean and rainforest during your massage.

I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed our Yoga programme – and thank you for giving me the opportunity to recognize Ekraj with your kind comments.
Thank you for highlighting our breakfast at The Restaurant - I continue to get great comments from our guests regarding the variety choice of foods.

I was sad to read your comments regarding your dining experience at Japanese Restaurant. I offer no excuses – we must simply do better and if I may be of further assistance in any regards, please do let me know.

Thanks again for your comments - I am delighted to know that we will welcome you back. My team and I remain at your service.

Anne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I think I was expecting a whole lot more out of this hotel...being a luxury collection property. I've stayed in hundreds of Starwood hotels so was expecting something a little more special. Pros: Amaaaazing beach, upgrade to a lovely large renovated suite (which was perfect since we were traveling with a 4 month old ended up spending a lot of time in the room) and friendly smiling staff and a fantastically comfortable bed and great free wifi. Cons: They did not have the pool access room I booked months ago (I did get upgraded but no pool), they hard sold us on the Eid Buffet which was disappointing and overpriced, food overall was very average (unfortunately we had to eat every single meal in the hotel and ordered a lot of room service with the baby) and its quite far from the airport! Lastly the hotel is aging in many areas and really needs to put the luxury back in luxury collection (fruit basket/chocolates- where were you?)

Dear NMehra,

Thank you for choosing The Andaman for your stay on Langkawi…and for taking the time to post this review. I am never proud to know that we failed to delight a guest…but I am always grateful for feedback so that we may learn and improve.

I am sorry to read your comments regarding your recent experience. Our resort was running high occupancy during that period – and as you discovered, our resort north wing is currently renovating. We upgraded your room to a suite, with the aim of securing your comfort, but I am sorry if this was a disappointment. I acknowledge that your initial hours at The Andaman were a disappointment. I offer no excuses.

I was sad to read your comments regarding your dining experience. I won’t take up any of your valued time - no excuses for this either – we must simply do better. Notwithstanding that, I was interested to read your comments regarding our food & beverage charging. We do monitor our prices compared to the other similar hotels on the island. As a result I had always felt that our prices were in line with our competitor hotels….but I will continue to check, it’s important to me that we offer value for money for our guests.

Your review is constructive and detailed. Thank you for sharing these detailed remarks. We reviewed your comments as a team at our daily briefing meeting (as we do with all guest feedback) . I confess that none of us took any pleasure or pride in reading and reviewing the issues.We reviewed each point - and each of us (including me) took away specific actions, as well as learning and observations.

It is kind of you to highlight our resort location – and I must agree with your comment about our environment – our resort is definitely the location to choose for people who enjoy a secluded and tranquil resort surrounded by rainforest and nature. Our resort is set inside a 10 million year old rainforest on a coral sand beach. As you know, National Geographic says that this is the 9th best beach in the world, and I do agree! This side of the island is relatively un-populated and thus our water stays clean and clear – and our beach stays quiet and undisturbed.

I am very pleased indeed to know that our staff was friendly and took good care of you – just exactly as it should be.

Thank you again for your comments.
Geraldton, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We spent the last two nights of our time in Langkawi here so we could have a nice relax before the hustle and bustle of KL.
The hotel is in the most beautiful remote location where the rainforest meets the sea. The beach is beautiful, one of the best I have seen in Malaysia.
Staff were all friendly and helpful, from the moment we arrived. The welcome drinks and cold towels were very refreshing. When the porter took us to our room he discovered it wasn't prepared properly so we were taken to a hospitality room while it was finished and ready for us.
The north wing is being refurbished but this did not affect us in anyway, and the noise etc was not disturbing at all.
The beach bar is in a lovely location with a perfect view and nice cooling breeze in the afternoon. Service in the beach bar however was extremely slow. On our last afternoon we ordered our last drink hoping to see the sunset before we went for dinner, but after 20 minutes when our drinks had still not arrived we decided to give up.
Service in the lobby bar was mostly good, but also slow if big groups of people arrived.
The included breakfast was fine with a huge variety of food, and egg station and also pancake and waffle station.
Our room was big and clean with a huge and comfortable bed and pillows. The coffee maker was also a nice surprise. Unfortunately we didn't have any hand towels or floor mats in our bathroom until the last night, and no face washers supplied at all. But this can easily be overlooked as all other things in the room were taken care of.
I hope that the refurbishments in the north wing are going to include a real balcony as the current balconies aren't really a balcony at all. For us this is important as we like to spend time sitting on the balcony.
The hotel has many activities to join in, and their coral nursery is an awesome project.
We travelled as a couple this time, but this hotel would be perfect for families.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Loopy_lou_6530,

Thank you so much for choosing The Andaman for your stay on Langkawi… and for taking the time to share your feedback. I am very pleased indeed to know that our staff was attentive and friendly.

I must agree with your comment about our location – this is definitely the location to choose for people who enjoy a secluded and tranquil resort surrounded by rainforest and nature. I think that the combination of 10 million year old rainforest and coral sand beach is a little bit magical, and certinaly unique to this corner of the island.
I am sorry that your room was not ready on arrival. I can’t say for sure as to why other guests were given their rooms before you. It can be the case that a guest might wait for a particular room type…for example perhaps twin rooms have already been vacated and serviced…whereas king bedded rooms have only just been vacated and are not yet ready – or it could be that guests pre-booked their room for early arrival. Whichever way…I can imagine that this could be a source of frustration, for which I apologise. But, I am glad to know that our porter took good care of you and deliver his best service to you while you are waiting for the room – just exactly as it should be.
Kudos to you for visiting our “Beach Bar” during your stay – this bar does have the most gorgeous location right on the beach - and the very best views of the beach. However, I was sorry to read your comments regarding service speed – something for us to work on. Thank you for your candor on this issues – and please accept my apologies for disappointment felt.

I acknowledge your comment regarding the pleasure of having a balcony on your room…and you are right that this addition is part of our renovation programme for the new Seaview rooms. I know that this news isn’t especially helpful for your current (recent) stay…but I do hope that you might enjoy this on future visits to The Andaman.
It is kind of you to highlight our Coral Nursery activities. This small fringing reef was badly damaged in the 2004 Tsunami – and our team recently began a series of activities to help educate ourselves and our guests on this fragile eco-system. Every month during low tides, we do coral clearing to remove pieces of dead coral which otherwise roll around and damage the growing coral), and we also do guided reef walks.
I am glad that the renovations did not disturb your stay. During this time, all work is taking place at the north wing…and all our guests are safely and comfortably assigned at the south wing.
I do hope that we may welcome you again in Langkawi.
Kind regards, Anne
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

This was our first trip to Malaysia and possibly our best holiday to date. The flight from the UK is long but the smoothness, efficiency and organisation at KL and Langkawi airports was excellent. The caribbean watch out! Our arrival at The Andaman, was very early in the morning, we received a courtesy room – superb after a long flight. We stayed for 2 weeks and only caught a few rainy days.

The key things that we liked:

The exceptional hotel staff. They were relentless in their hospitality and friendliness.
The beach is just stunning. It is quite rightly world class.
The abundance of wildlife in the hotel grounds. If you’re not interested in wildlife this holiday is not for you.
The Jala Restaurant – fresh fish cooked to order every day.
The brilliant live band in the evenings.
The spa treatments and the spa location are outstanding.
The happy hour.
The excursions - day sailing, mangrove tour, cable car all very enjoyable.
The Datai next door allows cross signing for meals in their superb Malay and Thai restaurants too.
And the many little things too: feather pillows, complementary birthday cake, free nature walks…
The tranquillity and quietness of this resort ensure that you can relax and forget the ‘real world’.
I need to practise recreating the superb snapper burger served in the Jala for my son until our next visit!!!

Dear Rickus_Family,

How very kind you are!! Thank you for these kind and gracious remarks – and thank you so much for choosing The Andaman for your stay on Langkawi.

I am delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us – and to know that our staff was attentive and friendly which able to fulfill all your satisfaction levels.

I must agree with your comment about our location – this is definitely the location to choose for people who enjoy a secluded and tranquil resort surrounded by rainforest and nature. Our resort is set inside a 10 million year old rainforest on a coral sand beach. As you know, National Geographic says that this is the 9th best beach in the world… and if guests wish to have a tranquil, restful holiday close to nature …then this is the right spot to choose for family and couple to enjoy their holiday.

Thank you for your compliment on The Restaurant and Jala – and I am pleased to know that you and your family enjoyed the dining experience at both restaurants. Jala is the newest dining venue offering the most delicious local fish and seafood in a beautiful new location right next to the beach. We have had super guest comments regarding the quality of seafood…and I do think that this beach location is a little bit magical.

It is kind of you to highlight our happy hours and house band – Pizzicato. Pizzicato is our house bandat the moment – and they continue to receive ebullient praise from our guests for their acoustic set.

Kudos to you for experiencing our spa treatment. As you discovered, the spa villas are set up high on the hillside overlooking the bay – and the views are really super. Besides, there is a “nature’s soundtrack” at the Spa…only the sound of waves below and the rainforest around you which let you more relaxing and enjoy the treatment. I continue to get great comments from our guests regarding the quality of our treatments.

I am delighted to know that you and your family enjoy all the activities in our resort and participate in rainforest walk. We receive lots of positive comments from our guests - the nature team do a super job at being educational, engaging and amusing. Our nature walks which are complimentary for all Andaman guests.

I do hope that we may welcome you again to The Andaman. Thank you again for your feedback.

Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Am on my way back to Switzerland, after a much awaited stay at the Andaman in Langkawi. With two super boisterous boys ( all staff of the hotel ended up knowing the name of my little one after two days) we were looking for relaxation and nature to keep us all interested. We found that and more. Boys were entertained by the various activities at the kids club or just enjoying the marvellous beach and sea, or with one of the many nature activities. A highlight of the trip was the Coral Nursery Snorkelling, which is a very nice way of preserving coral reefs and creating an ecosystem within the hotel itself. I have rarely seen such a good blend of nature within the settings of a 5 star hotel. Though I can see why some guests would have mentioned the hotel was a bit dated, that is a very minor issue, considering renovation and the excellent staff that they have on premises. Without exception we felt super welcomed and chatted nicely with pretty much all waiters and waitresses who were ready to help with our very picky eaters. They all spoke very fondly and proudly of the hotel. The spa is also very good, with fantastic individual treatment rooms overlooking the Datai bay. The treatment was good, but its realty the setting that makes the difference If there was anything to mention as regards improvement, perhaps the food took a bit long some days, but you could see that it was prepared on the spot, and with such fantastic scenery, we did not mind at all.
Overall, and we have been in many places and resorts, this will certainly be treasured memory for my family.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
AnneEScott, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear "Rmorandinideoliveira"
You are very kind!! Thank you for these kind and gracious remarks – and for taking the time to post this review. I am delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed your Andaman experience with us.
Kudos to your children for engaging with our Young Explorers Club. Inspired by the surroundings of The Andaman, the Young Explorers Club celebrates great Explorers like Alfred Russel Wallace, who specialised in the Malay Archipelago…as well as local heroes such as Enrique of Malacca and Zheng He. The daily activity programme embraces activities around the rainforest, beach and coral reef. I am delighted to know that your children enjoyed it.
Thank you for highlighting our Coral Nursery activities. The small fringing reef at our bay was badly damaged in the 2004 Tsunami – and 3 years ago, our team began a series of activities to help educate ourselves and our guests on this fragile eco-system. Every month during low tides, we do coral clearing to remove pieces of dead coral which otherwise roll around and damage the growing coral), and we also do guided reef walks. At the Coral Nursery, we grow baby corals to help replenish the reef. It’s a project for which we have a great passion!
It is kind of you to highlight our service – and I am delighted that you felt welcomed and that our team took good care of you – just as it should be !
I must agree with your comment about our Spa. As you discovered, the Spa is set on the hillside and the views across the bay are fantastic – and you will enjoy the ““nature’s soundtrack at the Spa…only the sound of waves below and the rainforest around you. I continue to get great comments from our guests regarding the quality of our treatments there.
Thank you again on your kind and gorgeous remark on our resort – I am appreciating. My team and I do hope that we may welcome you again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

We spent our last four days in malaysia here and thoroughly enjoyed it. Hotel is located on a private, white sandy beach, sharing it with another hotel at the other end. Nice , quiet beach with plenty of space for everyone. Swimming pool is large and is built in different shapes, making it a great place for kids. the different restaurants offer plenty of choice and good quality food, although I found prices for food and drinks a little on the high side - especially considdering that this is a remote spot and there are no alternatives around. Staff is extremely friendly and helpful .
The hotel is going through a renovation programme, through which parts of the hotel and rooms are renewed. We had a rainforest deluxe and was roomy and comfortable. My only comment would be that in the renovation process they did not take care of dameged floor parts or stai s on the ceiling - comes across as incomplete and not something I would expect from the SPG luxury collection. However, this is all negligible when placed against our overall experience. Highly recommended for a trip to Langkawi.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear “Perkey2002”

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this review – and for sharing your feedback on your stay at the Andaman. I am very pleased to know that our staff took good care of you and were able to fulfill your expectation – thank you for your warm words on this.

I am so pleased to know that you and your family enjoyed our resort. I must agree with your comment about our location – this is definitely the location to choose for people who enjoy a secluded and tranquil resort surrounded by rainforest and nature. Our resort is set inside a 10 million year old rainforest on a coral sand beach. As you know, National Geographic says that this is the 9th best beach in the world, and I do agree! This side of the island is relatively un-populated and thus our water stays clean and clear – and our beach stays quiet and undisturbed.

Thank you for your compliment on our swimming pool -and to highlight our restaurants. I was interested to read your comments regarding pricing and value for money. We do monitor our prices compared to the other similar hotels on the island. As a result I had always felt that our prices were in line with our competitor hotels….but I will continue to check, it’s important to me that we offer value for money for our guests.

Regarding renovation, of course you are correct that the north wing is currently renovation. As for your comment on our damage floor and stain on the ceiling, I take your comments with gratitude as a nudge that we have more work to do…and we need to get there faster.

Thank you for the candor of your comments – much valued and appreciated. I do hope that we may welcome you again at The Andaman.

With warm regards

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Large expansive resort that's showing its age across all areas -- rooms, restaurants, facilities etc. they were doing room renos while I was there so hopefully that freshens things up a bit. Yes, the monkeys will raid your room if you leave a door open -- beware! Beach is long but not special and was some what disappointed by it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear “Rich S”

For the beach, most of the other bays on Langkawi are long and straight, and this bay is unusual due its cove shape, which adds to the cozy feeling of exclusivity. In addition, the sand is coral sand – softer than seashell sand…and never gets too hot on even the sunniest days, so no risk of burning your toes. As you discovered, shade on the beach is provided by the trees of the rainforest, and these play home to kingfishers, eagles and hornbills. I am sorry to know that the beach was disappointing.
I do acknowledge that we sometimes have issues with the cheeky Macaque monkeys. I will continue to look at ways to allow these to leave peacefully around the rainforest, without irritating our guests.

Regarding renovation, of course you are correct that the north wing is currently renovation. Last year we created new Luxury Garden Terrace and Pool Access rooms. This year, we are completing a full renovation of our Seaview rooms and suites, as well as new Jacuzzi pool and Plunge pool suites. They are being to be gorgeous!!

My team and I would be delighted to welcome you back to The Andaman…and to show you the results of our renovation projects. If I may be of further assistance in any regards, please do let me know.

Anne

Been to The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!