“'The best gift for your loved one. '” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Teluk Datai, Langkawi 07000, Malaysia   |
Special Rate
Limited Time Offer
Ranked #5 of 100 Hotels in Langkawi
“'The best gift for your loved one. '”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

This resort is just perfect for unwinding at the beach, sipping on a glass of cocktail and enjoying the beauty and serinity of the nature. The service that they privide is genuine and we would like to thank Mr.Faizul Ottaman for the outstanding services that he and his team has provided us.

• Stayed June 2012
AnneEScott, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear “jaykayetihad”
You are very kind!! Thank you for these kind and gracious remarks – and for taking the time to post this review. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your Andaman experience and that our staff took good care of you – just is it should be! I must agree with your comment about our location – this is definitely the location to choose for people who enjoy a secluded and tranquil resort surrounded by rainforest and nature. Our resort is set inside a 10 million year old rainforest on a coral sand beach. As you know, National Geographic says that this is the 9th best beach in the world, and I do agree!
It is very kind of you to highlight our F&B Manager Faizul – and I do agree and he and his team provide a personal and engaging standard of service.
My team and I look forward to taking care of you again at The Andaman
With warm regards
Anne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Loved the Andaman on Langkawi. I selected the resort because of its proximity to some private yoga studios I had researched...however the hotel has a top yoga master and wellness consultant--Ekraj Gajurel was great. Over a 5 day stay I had three private sessions and all were excellent.

All the meals at the resort were excellent, especially their new restaurant on the beach. Wonderful Danish chef. The beach was clean and well suited to lazing about in the afternoons.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
AnneEScott, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear
How kind you are!! I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay on Langkawi and thank you for choosing The Andaman.
It is kind of you to highlight Ekraj, our Yoga master. We continue to get fantastic comments about his classes. Regular classes are offered on a complimentary basis…and of course Ekraj also does private and personal tuition also.
Kudos to you for visiting Jala during your stay at The Andaman. This is our newest dining venue offering the most delicious local fish and seafood in a beautiful new location right next to the beach. Rene is our Danish chef for Jala – and has created a splendid menu celebrating the best of Malay ingredients with a Danish culinary twist – not to be missed!
I do hope that we may welcome you again in Langkawi.
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I travelled with a group of friends here for 10 days in May and recommend this location highly. A magnificent wilderness area on a spectacular beach. The wildlife was truly special, monkeys, sea otters, birds, flying lemurs and even a monitor lizard. If you are looking for a relaxing holiday or have a young family this is the place for you. Definitely not a party place, we hired a car one day from the resort, roughly about $50AUD, and did a drive around the island. Very easy drive, and we stopped off at a couple of resorts for a drink and a swim, the only others comparable prices I would think to stay at would be Casa del Mar (great location, great food) and the Westin. The Datai (same beach as the Andaman) is beautiful but not for the average person, very pricey, if you can afford it, go for it.

Food was great at the Andaman, poolside chicken kebabs are a must, great steak sandwich, which cost about $10AUD each, cocktails less than $10AUD each. Jala, the seafood restaurant was sensational, pricey but well worth it. Overall we spent on average about $50-$70 per day on food and drinks (not including breakfast as that was included in package), which we thought was pretty reasonable.

By the way if you are not happy with something, just ask the question! This place was fantastic, they never said no, and went out of their way to make us happy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear “Little Miss Average”
You are very kind !! Thank you for your feedback and your kind comments. I am so pleased t know that you and your chums enjoyed your stay at The Andaman. I so enjoyed your references to the location and wildlife around the Andaman. As you now, our resort is set inside a 10 million year old rainforest, and nature abounds in the form of flying lemurs, hornbills, dusky leaf monkeys et al.
Chef Ismail was thrilled to read your good comments on our culinary offerings. I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed Jala, our newest restaurant venue offering the finest, fresh seafood. Thank you for your encouragement – really appreciated.
I do hope that we may welcome you to Langkawi again. My team and I remain at your service.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We are newlyweds and this was our first stop in Malaysia, it was the perfect choice!
this hotel meet our expectations and then sum!

at first I was a little worried when picking this hotel, some of the reviews almost made me pick another hotel. but I am so glad we picked it and it was amazing.

I hope that people at the Andaman see this because I would like to thank them for a wonderful service! thank you very much and that is from myself and my beautiful wife :) the service from everyone made us feel very welcomed. we stayed at some 5 star hotels since then and no way they compared to the service we received and the Andaman. it almost put our expectations to high for the other hotels that we stayed at :)

the front desk gave us ideas of things to do, they even have someone dedicated specifically for activities which made the whole trip so much better. other islands and mainland we also went to sort of made us a little lost as to what we can and cant do.

if you love the windy roads make sure you drive! its very hard to get lost in Langkawi, its a nice drive from the airport to The Andaman, stop by some quiet beaches and don't miss the waterfall on your way.

when you get to the Andaman you will receive a special welcome and you may also receive a nice cold drink while you wait to check in.

the room we got was the cheaper room with no water view but it was still great, rooms serviced twice a day bathroom was excellent and when you go to sleep all you can hear is the natural life surrounding!

where to dine? there are multiple options at the hotel and none will disappoint, but I do have to make a special mention to "the Restaurant" and the wonderful friendly staff that work there. Abdullah is a perfect example of the friendly staff that make you feel welcomed :)

I can keep going but I will end the review with the following:

1. excellent service and experience
2. Natural life surroundings
3. will not disappoint if you want to escape
4. we are already planed to stay at the Andaman for our 1 year

the only negative thing I will say is that the people that were staying there, seemed to be a little snobby. don't have to say hello to everyone you see but a smile every now and again can go along way to making the comfort even better.

Room Tip: if you can spend that little extra get the villa with the pool, but overall the quality is the same...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear “Mohamad Fafi”
Ooo we do love romance! Thank you so much for this gracious review and for choosing The Andaman for this most romantic of all holidays. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us – and that our team took good care of you – just as it should be!
I do agree with your idea of renting a car to explore the island. The roads on Langkawi are in very good condition and it is almost impossible to get lost. It takes about 2 hours to drive around the whole island – and I recommend our driving guide “Things to Do” which gives some informative suggestions on a route around the island, as well as things to see and do.
Thank you for your good feedback regarding our culinary offerings and the service. Thank you especially for your comment regarding Abdullah, and for giving me the opportunity to recognise his good work.
In the meantime, I thank you again for your warm words…and hope that we may welcome you again at The Andaman.
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights over Chinese New Year. The hotel is in an amazing peaceful, breathtaking location surrounded by lush rainforests and overlooking a bay of crystal clear water. The staff were super friendly from the minute we arrived. The food & drink choices were good and the beachside restaurant has the best view ever. The swimming pool was clean and had a kids water slide. I would have liked a larger jacuzzi/whirpool area. The beach and shallow clear waters are stunning. Our little kids loved the complimentary sand toys. My only rooms for improvement were the kids play area and the room decor. Our kids were too young to be dropped off at the kids club, but I felt the kids play area was a bit dark and grubby and lacking many toys. The hotel rooms are in need of modernisation and the hotel rates don't reflect this. Overall though we had a very enjoyable relaxing break.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear “Susan W”
Thank you for taking the time to post this review on Trip Advisor – and for your warm words. It was a pleasure to welcome you at such a festive time of year. I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed our location. We do think that this combination of coral sand beach and lush rainforest is a little bit magical and certainly unique to this corner of the island.
I am very glad to know that our staff was welcoming. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our food and culinary options. I know that delicious food is especially important when you’re on vacation.

I was interested in your comments regarding our kids club. We used to have quite a traditional hotel kids club nearby the lobby – it offered the normal “expected” stylings of cartoons on the wall with playstations, toys and books. We felt strongly that our unique location and surroundings merited a more adventurous kids club. So…we moved the location down to the ground floor and The “Young Explorers Club” re-opened 18 months ago. We arrange activities for our younger guests that are fun, engaging and promote learning. Inspired by the surroundings of The Andaman, The Young Explorers Club celebrates great Explorers like Alfred Russel Wallace, who specialized in the Malay Archipelago…as well as local heroes such as Enrique of Malacca and Zheng He. The daily activity programme embraces activities around the rainforest, beach and coral reef. I acknowledge that it is dark – indeed, we tried to create the atmosphere of an explorer’s headquarters..something akin to “ a den”. I confess that we had had super doper comments from guests thus far….but I am interested in your comments, and so I will continue to monitor guest feedback,
Thank you again for taking the time to share you feedback – the candor of your comments is much appreciated.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I learnt about coral conservation through a Coral Nursery Session with Dr Gerry Goeden. Dr Gerry is the consultant Marine Biologist at the Coral Nursery, the resort’s sustainability project to nurture and grow new colonies.

The nursery is home to a variety of marine life such as blue spotted stingray, razor fish, clown fish, lobster, clams and an assortment of corals. Ocean water is pumped into the nursery daily to keep it going.

Dead corals from the sea are recycled at the nursery where the minerals are used by propagated corals to escalate their growth. The nursery not only serves as a rehabilitation centre for rescued damaged coral; guests have the opportunity to learn about the process of nurturing these new polyps.

The baby corals are kept in the nursery for nine to twelve months (like a maternity ward) and once the corals are ready, they are placed back on the reef. With this effort, The Andaman team hopes to produce several thousands of coral colonies and a few hundred anemones each year.

Very few places in the world can offer a tropical rainforest and coral reef within 100 meters from each other, but The Andaman can!

For more pictures and a full review, visit: http://www.bangsarbabe.com/2013/05/coral-conservation-the-andaman-langkawi.html

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
AnneEScott, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear “Sue Linn T”
How kind you are! Many thanks for your warm words and for taking the time to post this review.
Thank you for highlighting our Coral Nursery activities. This small fringing reef was badly damaged in the 2004 Tsunami – and our team recently began a series of activities to help educate ourselves and our guests on this fragile eco-system. Every month during low tides, we do coral clearing to remove pieces of dead coral which otherwise roll around and damage the growing coral), and we also do guided reef walks.
Thank you for your kind comments. I do hope that we may welcome you again in the future.
Asia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

A lovely resort situated about 30 minutes (depending on traffic) from the airport. Pretty self-contained and far from the other resorts on the island. Traveling with a small child (1-year old), it was easy to organise a baby-sitter to watch her while we did some activities in the day and dinners at night. Our baby sitter was reliable and good with our baby girl who took to her pretty quickly. Meals: Good overall. We also had a private dinner on the beach which was amazing. We had a great stay there!

The only things I can fault the hotel for are: 1/ They forgot to organise our hotel transfer so we had to find a taxi and get there ourselves. They didn't reimburse us but only offered a complimentary wine in our room. 2/ The room must maintain air-conditioning which wasn't working all that well, think freezing. If you open the balcony door, the condensation in the room was extreme and the floors would get wet.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear “TravellingMermaid”
Thank you very much for choosing The Andaman and for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor.
Thank you for highlighting our babysitting service. Our cadre of sitters are all on our regular staff and happily provide well-deserved time off for well-worthy parents. I am delighted that you arranged to have a special romantic beach dinner – magical and memorable - kudos to you!
I do apologise for the issue with your transfer from the airport. Ire ad your comment regarding the air-conditioning with interest and from our comments, I conclude that the air temperate was too cold, for which I also apologise. Indeed, in our rainforest location, during periods of high humidity, it can be the case that the contrast between the indoor and outdoor temperatures can result in condensation in your room, I am sorry if this proved to be an inconvenience.
Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback.
Anne

Been to The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!