“10 Glorious days” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 98 Hotels in Langkawi
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“10 Glorious days”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My wife and I spent 10 nights at this excellent and beautiful hotel at the end of April and the beginning of May.
The setting and the location of this hotel with the rainforest behind and the beach in front is truly outstanding and the service provided was second to none.
It would be unfair of me to single out any member of staff for special praise as they were all extremely helpful and friendly, but having said that I gave several names to Ann the general manager and hopefully this praise was passed on.
On the subject of food this was all of a high standard but the meal we had in the seafood restaurant was one of the best I have ever had pleasure to have eaten.
We also dined many times at the Tepian Laut, and Normizan and his team consistently produced exceptional food and service, all were extremely attentive and friendly, it was sad to have to say goodbye.
On our last evening we had a romantic dinner on the beach, an experience we will never forget, and would recommend to anyone.
Our time spent in both the lounge and beach bars was again enhanced by the friendliness of the staff.
I must also mention the great variety of wildlife, truling amazing to see such a diversity living in their natural surroundings.
My only slight criticism was on arrival being told that it was necessary to book a table for dinner, but my concern over this was taken into account and sorted out very quickly and efficiently by the food and beverage manager.
All in all a truly wonderful and relaxing holiday.
Strongest recommendation I can is would we stay there again?, we would go back tomorrow, will we go back? I hope so.
Finally I must reiterate every member of staff from every department within the hotel could not done any more to make this a truly special experience.

Room Tip: We had a garden room top notch.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
AnneEScott, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear “DowsonTomlin”
You are very kind indeed. Thank you for choosing The Andaman for your stay on Langkawi..and for taking the time to post these warm words. I am delighted that you enjoyed this stay on Langkawi.
You did indeed very kindly pass me names of colleagues who took good care of you. Any member of our team who is mentioned by name by a guest is invited to a special recognition event on the following Wednesday morning…so thank you for giving me the opportunity to recognise so many of our gang.
It is very kind of you to highlight our cuisine. I am so proud of the great work done by our kitchen team in recent months. Our team has worked tirelessly to improve the range, as well as the quality of dining experiences. Thank you for your encouragement.
In the meantime, I thank you again for your warm words…and hope that we may welcome you again at The Andaman.
Anne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Korean first
Portsmouth, Hants
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Just returned from 10 days in this beautiful hotel set in stunning location. The staff are wonderful and cannot do enough to make your stay perfect, from the various managers to the housekeeping team. I have word of warning though to party animals - the hotel is remote, very much so and although the Andaman offers shuttles to town during the day there is no nearby nightlife outside the resort. It was just the job for my hubby and me and we found it totally relaxing and loved the amazing beach, really comfy bed 5 spacious room plus
rainforest setting.

Room Tip: We stayed in a ground floor room which meant we had outside access. They Ground floor is best as y...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear “carolinetomlin”
You made my day! Thank you for these warm and generous comments. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay.
I so agree with your comment regarding our location. Many of our guests prefer the location of Datai Bay because it is so peaceful and quiet – and perfect for relaxing. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences at The Andaman. I do very much hopre that we may welcome you again.
My team and I remain at your service.
Dubai, UAE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Firstly, the location of the Andaman is breath-taking and nothing short of spectacular. It's set in a magnificent rainforest and on an idyllic beach. Secondly, Anne and her staff are exceptional. They made us feel welcome and at home and were friendly, courteous and helpful - particularly Mizan! He's a wonderful fellow who made our stay extra-special. The Beach Bar is a delight, and the food and beverages we experienced at the various restaurants were delicious. Another great attraction at the hotel is the coral nursery and coral rehabilitation program. It's a fun education and great experience for the kids.
In terms of improvement, the only area I would point out is that the hotel does look and feel somewhat dated, but that aside it is a wonderful destination for a relaxing family vacation, and I would highly recommend The Andaman. I had considered the Four Seasons as an alternative, but am very relieved I chose The Andaman. The locations simply don't compare!

Room Tip: Go for a deluxe ocean view room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear “Mr TeeJay”
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your Easter holiday at Andaman. Thank you for your warm and generous comments.
I am delighted that you enjoyed our location. We do think that this combination of 10 million year old rainforest and coral sand beach is a little bit magical and certainly unique to this corner of Langkawi. Our resort is further away from the main touristic areas…and if guests wish to have a tranquil, restful holiday close to nature …then this is the right spot to choose.
Thank you for highlighting our staff. I am very happy to know that you were well taken care of – especially by Mizan (not the first time that he has been mentioned in dispatches).
I am grateful that you took the time to visit the Coral Nursery…a completely unique experience offering guests the opportunity to help grow new corals and regenerate this fragile marine eco-system. Thank you very, very much for your encouragement.
I do hope that we may welcome you again at The Andaman.
With warm wishes from Langkawi.
Newbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed for 8 nights at this quiet beautiful hotel. Rooms were lovely, amazing bathroom and very comfortable bed, monkeys on the balcony and wonderful sound of the sea lapping the beach each morning and evening!

The spa is in the most wonderful tree top location. I'm not a big spa person, but had a couple of massages and can highly recommend the hot stones, was absolutely awesome!

Restaurants, the Jala seafood restaurant is probably the best, but the Japanese runs it close. We went half board and would recommend going all inclusive as we were so well looked after on the food and drinks side of things. There is also little around it although we had lunch at the four seasons which was also very good.......they had a bit more Malay cuisine on the lunchtime menu, which would be nice to see more of at the Andaman.

Lovely staff, very friendly and willing to help. If your looking to discover Malaysia you probably won't find it here. However if like us you just wanted to relax on a beautiful beach or walk in the forest or swim in the pool, it was a truly relaxing place.

Try the gym and the personal yoga sessions were really good too!

Room Tip: Go for the upgrade to the sea view, you won't regret waking up to a little piece of paradise eac...
Dear “CornishCrusader08”
Thank you for taking the time to post this review on Trip Advisor. I grinned when I read our description of our resort…and would certainly concur with your highlights of the monkeys and the waves on the shore. I am especially happy to know that you took time to visit our spa. As you know the spa villas are set up on the rainforest hillside and therefore have the most gorgeous views across the bay. I continue to get great comments from our guests regarding the quality of our treatments.
Kudos to you for visiting Jala during your stay at The Andaman. This is our newest dining venue offering the most delicious local fish and seafood in a beautiful new location right next to the beach. Rene is our Danish chef for Jala – and has created a splendid menu celebrating the best of Malay ingredients with a Danish culinary twist – not to be missed!
I am delighted that you enjoyed your Seaview room. I do think that these views across the bay are wonderful – and as our hotel is north-west facing, the sunsets can be very special. I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you again at The Andaman.
With kind regards
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Situated in an old forest, apparently 10 million years old with a very nice beach, the water is not really clear though. Spent five days with the family, yes the rooms are old, this didn’t matter much for we stayed much of the time outside the rooms, the facilities are great, we had much fun, and the coral nursery is a must. Service is friendly and efficient.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear “FM1963”
Thank you for your warm words regarding your stay at The Andaman…and for you comments our beach and location. We do think that this combination of 10 million year old rainforest and coral sand beach is a little bit magical and certainly unique to this corner of Langkawi. Most of the other bays on Langkawi are long and straight, and this bay is unusual due its cove shape, which adds to the cozy feeling of exclusivity. In addition, the sand is coral sand – softer than seashell sand…and never gets too hot on even the sunniest days, so no risk of burning your toes.
I am so pleased that our team took care of you…and that you had a fun vacation – just it should be.
With kind regards
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

The Andaman definitely has a right to claim that they are the best in terms of Luxury and they prove it .It certainly cannot compares with others and The Andaman have they own identity with that category.

From the arrival, checking in to the room and the dining experience has made me and my partner feel like HOME AWAY FROM HOME.

Tepian Laut is the best Malay cuisine I have ever try and what really impress me is the personalize service and attention to details by the staffs. I can’t remember all of them but Jocelyn and Mizan is definitely on top of it and really stars on they own when it come to guest service.
Having breakfast while watching monkey get nearby to our tables is really made my partner shock and she almost scream but I do understand is part of nature that The Andaman have. The Restaurant staffs definitely are well train and know how to take care of the guests like us and I must say Maria has done a good job and really impress us with her smile and gestures.

Another gesture from Rajah the Assistant Director of Food and Beverage delivering special amenities with local touch which I and my partner really impress.

I will definitely comeback to this beautiful resort because of the friendliness of the staffs.

Room Tip: Pool acces definetly will make it worth your stay and dining in Tepian Laut is a must.
Dear “Natasha157”
You are very kind! I am so pleased to read your review and to know that you enjoyed your stay at The Andaman.
Thank you for your good feedback regarding our Malay cuisine. Our kitchen team is all local, and bring great passion to their style of authentic local cuisine.
It is very kind of you to mention members of our staff by name and Rajah, Mizan, Mana and Joselyn are enjoying their new on-line fame! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to energize them with your feedback.
I am thrilled that you enjoyed your Pool Access room, with their exclusive and private use access to the Rainforest pools. These new rooms are getting super guest comments.

I am delighted to know that you will be returning to The Andaman. We look forward to welcoming you back to Langkawi.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I had intended to stay at the Andaman for 3 nights but it was so good I stayed for 5. From the welcome at reception to the most comfortable bed, everything was 1st class. Travelling alone it was a great escape from the madness of Bangkok for a few days. Food, location and beach were all stunning. In particular, the lounge evening entertainment provided by "Perfect Five" was truly amazing. Not only was the music extremely proffessional, but the way the band members mingled with the guests during the breaks and were able to play all requests made for very memorable evenings and "Liza" the band leader has the voice of an angel.
I beleive the manageress has run some of the finest hotels in my home city Edinburgh, she has obviously taken her experience and knowledge to the Andaman and is running a fantastic operation. Cant wait to return. Sea Kayaking in the morning, brilliant.

Room Tip: Stayed in a standard room with a forest view and could'nt fault it, so can only imagine the more...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear “bksteve”
Ooo…how kind you are! Thank you for this generous comments and for taking the time to share your warm words. I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay.
It is kind of you to highlight our House Band “Perfect Five”. Liza is an incredibly accomplished musician and together with her compadres have entertained our guests all season with a wide range of genres and styles. One time…I saw them take a request from a guest for a song that they didn’t know…and they went off on their break, and after a quick web down-load, they came back 20 mins later and did a very creditable version…much to the delight of our guests! They are indeed a great band – thanks for your kind comments.
I am so pleased that you will come back to The Andaman. My team and I remain at your service
Anne

Been to The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!