“Great hotel in a beautiful area” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Family Escapade
Ranked #5 of 99 Hotels in Langkawi
Singapore, Singapore
“Great hotel in a beautiful area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

We really love the hotel and the staff is incredibly kind. We loved the wildlife tours offered by the hotel. Although it is free it is very professional and we saw a lot of wildlife. Tip: rent a car as the hotel is far from everything, beach is nice but it is not a place for good snorkeling (water is muddy).

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
AnneEScott, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear “pierrechristophe”
Thank you very much for these kind words and for choosing The Andaman for your stay on Langkawi. I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed your visit to our resort.
Kudos to you for doing the Rainforest walks. We receive lots of positive comments from our guests - the nature team do a super job at being educational, engaging and amusing. There really is a lot to see in the surrounding rainforest. Our nature walks which are complimentary for all Andaman guests.
I note your comment regarding snorkeling. We have a little Fringing Reef at our bay. During low tides, parts of the reef become exposed making it ideal for reef walking, or during high tides, guests can snorkel in this area (although visibility is not so clear especially during “spring tides”).
Thank you again for your gracious review.
My team and I remain at your service.
Anne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

From start to finish, the service was great. Every one was extremely helpful from when I was planning and asking lot sof questions to while we were there.

The building may be old, (15years?) but they are renovating and has a certain charm to it. The location is fantastic. Great place to go with kids. Mine are 10 and 4. Not only that, the environment was fun. Both the pool and the beach. The coral nursery was a favorite for the kids and fascinating for adults as well. The beach lots of little crabs the kids chase, fish int he water, hermit crabs on the edges, flying lemurs on trees, monkeys and small bills, etc. Sadly certain parts of the beach has lots of dead chunks of coral from the Tsunami, which is a downer, but just bring your tevos or crocs. At high tide and certain areas are fine. They do have a program to clean it up.

Overall, the service was wonderful, you have to accept some of the 'older' aspects of the building.

Enjoy!

BTW, my POV on this place is base don the fact that we love USVI St. John's, much more that commercial St. Thomas. And finally, in SE Asia, we think we have found a place somewhat similar (except for the damaged corals)

Room Tip: South wing i heard is more renovated, but also closer to the 'jungle'. Far North end of wing...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear “alxsuh”
Oooo…you made my day! Thank you for your warm words. I am delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed their Andaman experiences. It is kind of you to highlight our rainforest environment and location. We do think that this combination of rainforest and coral sand beach is a little bit magical and certainly unique to this corner of Langkawi.
I agree with your view that the local area is rich with wildlife.
Thank you for highlighting our Coral Reef activities. This small fringing reef was badly damaged in the 2004 Tsunami – and our team recently began a series of activities to help educate ourselves and our guests on this fragile eco-system. Every month during low tides, we do coral clearing to remove pieces of dead coral which otherwise roll around and damage the growing coral), and we also do guided reef walks. Last year, we opened our Coral Nursery, a new facility to give Mother Nature a helping hand with growing new corals to re-generate the reef.
Thank you for choosing The Andaman for your stay on Langkawi – and for your kind comments. I do hope that we may welcome you again in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I have been meaning to write this review since our stay in January but as you can see I'm only just gettting around to it! But it says something for The Andaman that after a few months have passed I still feel I should do it.

I'm tempted to say "it's awful, don't stay here!" but that's because I want to keep this place all to myself. However, I decided to do the right thing.

Before booking we had done the usual trip advisor search and whilst there were some good reviews others weren't so good. We live in KL so canvassed opinion from friends who had been there and the response was "it's wonderful". It may not be the cheapest option but it's definitely value for money compared to others we have been to.

We were a family of 2 adults and 3 kids aged 7, 6 and 4. The kids had an absolutely brilliant time looking at all the wildlife, enjoying the pool and the beach and especially enjoying the coral nursery where they could snorkel in safety.

The staff were excellent and were very good with the children. My husband got sick whilst we were there with a pre existing condition and required medication which the hotel doctor didn't have available. The hotel drivers were extremely helpful and one in particular went to several different pharmacies in his own time to obtain the medicine he needed. He said he didn't want payment but of course we gave him something as we were so grateful that my husband would have his symptoms relieved.

The best thing I can say is that it's a long time since we had a really relaxing, get away from it all holiday where the kids were happy. The hotel is situated in a very unique, idyllic setting and the atmosphere is hard to beat.

We had a fabulous holiday and will go back very, very soon.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear “Foostie”
I am so happy to know that you and your family enjoyed their stay at The Andaman – and that your children enjoyed the rich local wildlife.
I love that your family participated in activities at the Coral Nursery…a completely unique experience offering guests the opportunity to help grow new corals and regenerate this fragile marine eco-system. Thank you very, very much for your kind comments on this – it’s a “real passion” project for us.
I am sorry to know that your husband was unwell during this trip…and gad that our team were able to assist in procuring needed medicines.
I do hope it has been an enjoyable holiday for the whole family and I hope that we may welcome you and your family again at The Andaman soon. My team and I remain at your service.
Warmest regards,
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Last month my wife and I spent a long weekend at the Andaman as our first break with our 5 month old daughter. The 1st person we saw when we exited arrivals at the airport was the friendly, smiling hotel representative who escorted us straight to our waiting taxi. That set the tone for the weekend - fabulous, friendly and efficient service - nothing was too much trouble.

The location was great, the beach beautiful and completely litter-free (not something that can be said for many beaches in south east Asia). We'd highly recommend getting a massage at the spa; the massage was very good indeed and was administered in the open air (albeit under a wooden gazebo) overlooking the sea.

Food was great, with a wide ranging menu. Being super-critical, the local dishes were better than the western ones, but, in our experience, that is par for the course in Asia (even in high-end hotels such as this) and in exactly the same way that the Asian food we've been served in high end hotels in Europe wasn't usually as good as the local cuisine.

The room was spotlessly clean but was, as some other reviewers have commented, a little bit tired. For us, this wasn't a problem (as we spent very little time in it) and did not detract bfrom the overall experience but I appreciate that some guests may not share this view.

Lastly, whilst this was a very child-friendly hotel, but his does not mean that only families should think of staying there; over lunches, we got chatting honeymooning couples, elderly couples, groups of friends; i.e. the full spectrum of people you would expect to find at a large hotel.

All in all, a cracking experience and we will be returning although the hotel would do itself no harm by freshening up the rooms just a little bit.

Room Tip: Some travelllers may find it helpful to see the room before choosing, although this is being hyper-c...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
AnneEScott, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear “JezandSonia”
I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay at The Andaman. Thank you for your kind comments.
Thanks for your encouragement regarding beach cleanliness. Our beach is famous and cleanliness is an ongoing mission for us. Our team hand-rake our beach end to end every day. We have resisted using any mechanical cleaning (eg a tractor), because of the impact on the serenity of our environment…as well as the impact on the beach fauna. We will continue to hand rake and to work at maintaining our beach cleanliness. I know it’s important.
I am especially happy to know that you took time to visit our spa. As you know the spa villas are set up on the rainforest hillside and therefore have the most gorgeous views across the bay. I continue to get great comments from our guests regarding the quality of our treatments.
It is very kind of you to highlight our cuisine. I am so proud of the great work done by our kitchen team in recent months. Our team has worked tirelessly to improve the range, as well as the quality of dining experiences…I note your comments regarding our western cuisine and we know there is still work to do. Thank you for your encouragement.
I do acknowledge your remarks about eh need for updating of our rooms, As you will have seen, we have just completed an important phase of the renovation with 24 new Luxury rooms…and the next phase of our programme begins soon. Guests arriving at the Andaman in coming months will continue to see new and improved facilities.
I am delighted to know that you will be returning to our resort again. My team ad I remain at your service,
Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

While our holidays normally consist of exploring new countries and cultures there are a few selected exceptions to our rule of "never going back to the same place". The Andaman is a place we DO return to and it has been one of our favorite destinations for many years. The personal service, the amazing Spa (excellent treatments in little villas on the hill overlooking the Andaman sea) and the lovely beach were enough for us to keep coming back. And now it even got better. The new Seafood restaurant and bar combine great food with am extremely cool setting near the beach. Everything, from smooth check-in to rooms, food and activities in the hotel now at an extremely high level. Are there more luxurious destinations? Sure. Are there hotels with more fancy restaurants and rooms? Certainly. Is there any location where the combination of location, food, service, Spa and ambiance is better? I doubt it.

Room Tip: Cannot go wrong, but we prefer the rooms on the 4th floor as nice views and close to reception.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear “”BobKL”
Thank you so very much!!
I am very grateful to you for taking the time to share our feedback regarding your stay at The Andaman. Thank you for your warm words regarding the service that you experienced here.
Kudos to you for visiting Jala during your stay at The Andaman. This is our newest dining venue offering the most delicious local fish and seafood in a beautiful new location right next to the beach. Rene is our Danish chef for Jala – and has created a splendid menu celebrating the best of Malay ingredients with a Danish culinary twist – not to be missed! I am so pleased that you enjoyed it.
Thank you again for your warm words. All at “Team Andaman” look forward to welcoming you again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We had an excellent experience here. Staff all treated us very well, including the manager who came around checking to ensure we were enjoying ourselves. The women in the beach bar treated us as regulars. Food was delicious, enjoyed all meals. Great beach and facilities. Very clean rooms.

Would definitely come back! Also stayed at Berjaya and expecting a similar experience and the quality didn't come close to comparing.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear “Heatherbags”
Thank you for your warm and generous review and for taking the time to post it on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay at The Andaman. Thank you for highlighting the service that you received – and I am very happy to know that our staff took good care of you. I was very glad to meet you during your stay. I really do try to meet as many guests as possible…but I confess that I’m better at achieving that some weeks more than others!!
I do hope that you will visit us again at The Andaman.
With warm regards
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

We are staying at the Andaman right now and really enjoying our time here. Great beach and fantastic rain forest setting. The food has been great and the beach bar is a lovely spot at happy hour. The prices are reasonable for a luxury resort and it's good to see that, unlike some other hotels, they don't rip you off with the extras (free wifi, kids club etc makes a big difference). My only gripe would be that there is no balcony to speak of in our room (north wing) which is a shame as it would be nice to be able to sit outside at night while the kids sleep.

All in all, a great place and definitely recommended.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear “JohnG”
Thank you for choosing the Andaman for your stay on Langkawi and for taking the time to share your experiences.
I am so pleased to know that you are enjoying our beach location. We do think that the combination of rainforest and coral sand beach is a little bit magical. And I am glad that you have been able to take good use of our free Wifi and Young Explorers Club.
I acknowledge your comment regarding the pleasure of having a balcony on your room…and I am happy to share that this addition is part of our renovation programme for the new phase of renovation. I know that this news isn’t especially helpful for your current (recent) stay…but I do hope that you might enjoy this on future visits to The Andaman.
I do hope that we may welcome you again at The Andaman. In the meantime, I thank you again for your comments.