“Close to excellent paradise - not quite there” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Stay Longer For Less
Ranked #5 of 96 Hotels in Langkawi
Oslo, Norway
“Close to excellent paradise - not quite there”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

"Welcome to paradise" - that was the greeting I received when I arrived. Yes, it is close to paradise, but not quite there.

The service is good - not excellent, the restaurants are OK to Very Good, but not top of the rank.

The beach is very nice, an the service there is great.

The entertainment is good in the hotel.

The rooms are good.

I probably would check for different options since Langkawi is paradise!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
AnneEScott, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear “Freiro”,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review on Trip Advisor. I am glad to know that you enjoyed our beach. As you may know, National Geographic said that this is the “9th best beach in the world”, and whilst I know that I am biased, I would have to agree. I’m also delighted to know that you enjoyed the presentation of your room, the entertainment and that you were well taken care of during your stay with us – just as you should be.

I do note that you had experienced some glitches during your stay. I would be grateful if you might contact me personally anne.scott@luxurycollection.com in regards to the issues in order for my further investigation. I would very much value the opportunity to handle any booking through my office – and to restore your faith in our resort should you be returning to Langkawi.

Anne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We've just been to paradise! The best resort you can imagine. Fantastic,relaxing place with friendly and serviceminded staff. The best restaurant there is Jala (seafood) Danish chef Renee has created an awesome menu. Beautiful rainforest surrounding the beach in a guiet private bay. Sunset is out of the world sitting at Jala with peaceful chillmusic. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Fourth floor south wing.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear “ABSJPerth_Australia ”,

Well…your review has really made my day! Thank you for your warm and generous comments on Trip Advisor. I’m delighted to know that you have indeed found paradise.

Kudos to you for taking the time to try our latest addition – Jala which offers exquisite seafood dishes. I’m glad to know that you had enjoyed this new alternative. Thank you for your kind mention of Chef Rene! He is thrilled with his new “on-line fame” and will continue delighting our guests with his wonderful creative cuisine. We continue to get fantastic feedback from guests who enjoy Rene’s culinary interpretation of Malaysian ingredients, delicious fresh fish and a Danish “philosophy”!

I’m also delighted to know that you would be planning a return, my team and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Mooloolaba, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Thanks to My Holiday Centre who booked a majical holiday for us in Langkawai and thanks also to Asian Trails for their wonderful assistance. Fantastic positioning for a resort - away from the maddening crowd. Let's start with the staff - absolutely on the ball in every department, could not have been more helpful. The Resort is almost self contained with plenty to do and see - it's up to you, from long walks on the exclusive beach, ocean or pool swims and kayaking. Wildlife abounds in the wonderful surrounding rainforests with monkeys, squirrel, gecko and sun skinks and much more. Great variety of restaurants. The seafood restaurant was a stand out. Breakfast in the dining room was full of variety with something for everyone. Nightly musical entertainment was relaxing.

Room Tip: Stay in the Treetops......watch out for the cheeky monkeys!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear “Dave H”,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on our website and on Trip Advisor. I do understand that some guests may prefer the hustle and bustle of the city but like you, we do think that this combination of 10 million year old rainforest with this amazing bay is a little bit magical. I give credit to the original architect of The Andaman for designing the hotel inside the rainforest – and because so many of the trees were protected, the flora and fauna were maintained from the very start and indeed you would be able to spot many exotic birds, animals and insects. I’m delighted to know that you were well taken care of during your stay with us – just as you should be.

I’m so happy to know that our food quality met your expectations. Kudos to you for taking the time to try our latest addition – Jala which offers exquisite seafood dishes. I’m glad to know that you had enjoyed this new alternative.

I do hope that we may welcome you again at The Andaman soon. My team and I remain at your service.

Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Phyllis Loh, at The Andaman , was my son and daughter in law's wedding organiser for their beautiful wedding.
She was very accommodating in every way. The staff at the hotel was brilliant, the service and hotel itself was out of this world. The food was brilliant.
Everything was just picture perfect!! Thanks Phyllis and the great Andaman staff.

Ruby Yeo was their photographer, and she is brilliant too! Highly recommended.

There is no other place to have your wedding than The Andaman!!

Room Tip: The suite in the Rainforest was magical.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear “maltese255118”,

Oh we do love romance!! I’m delighted to know that your son and daughter in law had chosen The Andaman as their wedding location. Thank you for your kind mention of Phyllis! She is indeed an excellent wedding organizer and ensures that each couple’s ceremony runs smoothly. She and esteemed are excited to hear that you have mentioned them here and is thrilled to continue delighting our guests. I do hope that you would be planning to Langkawi again (for a family reunion ??! :-).

My team and I remain at your service.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

nice hotel , nice room , clean ,beautiful , nice beach , nice breakfast... not-so-nice-thing is just the location; even its located at Andaman Beach, but its too far from the Kuah Town / Cenang Beach.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
AnneEScott, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear “azscute”,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review following your stay at The Andaman. I do note that you had found our location a bit far from town. This is definitely the location to choose for people who would enjoy a secluded and tranquil resort surrounded by rainforest and nature. There are other parts of Langkawi offering more night life, jet skis et al…but not here.

One option if guests prefer more activities is to hire a car and explore the island. The roads on Langkawi are in relatively good condition, and easy to navigate. We also provide complimentary shuttle bus into Kuah Town and Cenang Beach on alternate days.

Notwithstanding that, thank you once for your comments regarding our beach and services. I do hope that my team and I may be of service in the future.

S'pore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Had a great 2 days 2 night stay at The Andaman Pool Suite!Newly refurbished room with a lap pool right outside our balcony.Very quite and lots of privacy , great for couples on honeymoon.Convenient location to the Quay and Cable car .Love the pool and beach very quite ,private and clean too!Good for short quite break not for those shopperholics for sure far far remote away from any malls.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear “rizS-pore”,

Thank you for your warm and generous review and for taking the time to post it on Trip Advisor. Balted Merry Christmas!!
Kudos to you for reserving a stay in our brand new Luxury Pool Access rooms – I do agree that it is rather amazing and enjoyable having a private pool within a rainforest environment. I’m also delighted to know that you had enjoyed our beach - as you may know, National Geographic said that this is the “9th best beach in the world”, and whilst I know that I am biased, I would have to agree.

Thank you once again for your kind comments. I’m glad to know that you would be planning a return, my team and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I chose Andaman for our family vacation prior to Chinese New Year. We were there the week before CNY this year. My group comprised of my husband and I, my parents, my elderly aunt with Alzheimer's, my brother, sis-in-law and their 3 young children. Upon arrival we were greeted by a sea of smiles. Check-in was a breeze and we were quickly ushered to our rooms.My parents/aunt had an adjoining room to my brother and his family, so that was nice as we did not request it.

We were very satisfied with the rooms, they were clean, adequately furnished and the bed was very comfortable. The rain shower was pampering and in general, the quality of the room was great. There's warning against opening the balcony doors because of monkeys.We kept ours locked the whole time.

The real test of Andaman's service came about when we dined. For our 4 days trip, we ate at all the restaurants in the hotel for all our meals. We enjoyed ourselves and yes, even though the prices were steep for Malaysian standards, it is at the Andaman afterall. I'm not complaining because they were very accommoding towards my niece who has gluten sensitivity. When dining with children, things get messy quickly and the servers were mostly smiles throughout. They were always assisting with the water bottles sterilisation and ensuring the children enjoyed their meals as much. They accommodated my aunt's dietary requirements too. I strongly recommend the breakfast buffet as the selection is vast and rather delicious.

On the end of the spectrum, we borrowed a wheelchair for my elderly aunt who was experiencing sciatica pain. I was surprised how wheelchair friendly the resort is. It was easy for us to wheel my aunt around, even to the pool area. Unfortunately, she had a clumsy stumble when she was walking into the room. There's an elevated stoop in front of the door and she missed it.It is easily missed because there is minimal color differentiation. She suffered a huge bruise and pain, which was thankfully relieved by some rest and ice compression. We took her to the doctor on site to ensure there's no fracture. He was kind and provided a bandage. He paid a quick visit to her when we were eating our breakfast the next day. All was well thereafter.

The pool and beach areas were comfortable and inviting. For the period we visited, it wasn't busy by the pool. Kids were by the wading pool and adults could swim around to the deeper ends. My husband and brother decided to take a trip across to an island- which you could see from the beach. It looked beautiful, secluded and possibly with decent snorkelling. Unfortunately, when they got there (by boat RM30/hr), snorkelling was almost non-existent as there's tons of sea urchin. They were disappointed and do not recommend it. I suppose it would have more fun if they rented the kayaks instead, so they could go around the island.

One complain is the bathroom at Jala: - during a lunch break, the water pipe just erupted while my elderly aunt was using the bathroom. She was soaked and it was a hazard because her ambulation was unsteady. We weren't happy about this but I suppose my aunt has forgotten about it already.

All in, our stay was pleasant and we are all very pleased with the service and products. I would recommend this for anyone, regardless if it's your honeymoon, company conference, family trip, girls getaways etc.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear “LittleMoney”,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. I was glad to know that you and your family had enjoyed your stay with us. I do think that family holidays are so precious, even more so at this very special time of year.

I’m delighted to know that you had enjoyed the presentation of your room, the pool and our beach. As you may know, National Geographic said that this is the “9th best beach in the world” – thank you for your recognition of our beautiful beach.

Thank you for your kind mention of dining at our restaurants. We do try to offer a balanced and nutritional meal for kids dining with us – and most certainly to offer a variety of choices for the adults. I’m glad to know there was something for everyone in the family.

I’m sorry to hear about your aunt’s stumble. I also noted your comment in regards to the bathroom at Jala. I’ve taken note of this and have discussed with our engineering department to rectify the issue in order to protect our future guests. I offer no excuses on this matter. Thank you for your candor on this.

I’m glad to know that you’ve truly enjoyed your stay with us and do hope that you would be planning a return soon. My team and I remain at your service.

Anne

Been to The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!