“Heavenly Stay” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Teluk Datai, Langkawi 07000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #5 of 99 hotels in Langkawi
“Heavenly Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My husband and I and our two boys stayed here for 6 nights. This is a lovely hotel with beautiful surroundings. The rooms are very comfortable and large, great for families. We stayed in both the rainforest and seaview rooms, after one of our boys feel ill and we needed to stay on a further couple of nights. The seaview room really is lovely, with lovely views of the Andaman sea. The sea crashing to the shore puts you to sleep at night. Rooms are very clean and well maintained. The restaurants don't really offer much local food or local fruits or a variety of food, but uncle Sam the fisherman visits every afternoon so you can eat fresh fish daily, made to your choice, which is fantastic. The spa is also a lovely place to visit. The facilities are extremely well maintained and service is great. A lovely place to visit. Must also do the hobby cat if the weather is good, great experience for the kids.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
AnneEScott, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear “kerrynsaman”,

You are very kind!! Thank you for these kind and gracious remarks – and for taking the time to post this review on Trip Advisor. We were delighted to have you and your family with us for 6 nights. I’m glad that you had enjoyed the presentation of your rooms. I do believe that the combination of our 10 million year old rainforest and the beautiful Datai Bay provides a tranquil setting for the perfect holiday.

We do offer various types of local food at our restaurant by the beach – Tepian Laut and certainly try to offer a variety of local fruits at The Restaurant. Unfortunately, with the introduction of our latest addition – Jala which offers exquisite seafood dishes, we do not have fishermen coming on shore anymore but rather a very unique seafood display at this restaurant where our chef will guide you through the selection of your main course for the day – which is equally fascinating.

I am especially happy to know that you took time to visit our spa during your trip. As you know the spa villas are set up on the rainforest hillside and therefore have the most gorgeous views across the bay. I continue to get great comments from our guests regarding the quality of our treatments.

I do hope that you would be planning a return soon. My team and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

1,772 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Korean first
kl,m'sia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Our trip here was to celebrate my husband's birthday. We stayed 2 nights here with our 2 children aged 6 and 9. Upon arrival we were advised that we had been upgraded to a sea view room but had to wait awhile for the room to be ready. The room itself is a good size, equipped with a Nespresso machine. There were two sofabeds, perfect for our boys. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom was a nice as well.
The staff of the hotel were extremely hospitable and were very friendly. Breakfast was the same every morning but there was a good choice. The croissants are the best I've had. A nice touch was a lovely chocolate cake for hubby's birthday.
Only thing I would suggest is renting a car to drive out as the hotel is very far out from anywhere or anything if you are staying longer. We found the food a little pricey and not that great but had no choice as it was raining all the while we were there and we couldn't venture out much.
We travel to Langkawi every year at least once or twice a year and this was a very comfortable and relaxing stay. Thank you Anne and the team for a great stay here. Next time, we'll try to come when it's not the rainy season and maybe we'll be able to enjoy the beach and pool a little more.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear “kdks”,

Thank you for your warm and generous review and for taking the time to post it on Trip Advisor. Thank you for sharing such a special occasion with us at The Andaman – I hope your husband had enjoyed his birthday with us. I’m delighted to know that our staff took good care of you during your stay and that you had enjoyed the presentation of your room.

Thank you for your kind comments in regards to breakfast, we constantly tweak our breakfast menu to ensure that there is something to fit all our guests and I’m grateful for your kind comments. Not long ago we had changed the recipe for our croissant and I must agree with you – they are delicious!

I do agree to your comment in regards to renting a car to explore the beauty of Langkawi. The round trip to navigate the island is approx 2 hours. The roads are in good condition and it’s almost impossible to get lost. I note your feedback regarding pricing of our food at our dining venues. I had thought our prices were competitive with the other 5 star hotels on the island. However I will have another look – it’s important to me that our guests feel that they receive value for money.

I’m glad to know that you’ve truly enjoyed your stay with us and that you would be planning a return soon. My team and I remain at your service.

Tianjin, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

If you are visiting Langkawi, this hotel is a MUST! We split our 8 night stay between Berjaya and the Andaman. I loved that Berjaya offered the rainforet chalets, but I loved that the Andaman had the coral reef, and the coral nursery. The Andaman was also quite expensive, and because we had to stay in two rooms to accomodate our family of five (children 5, 8 and 9 years). After having a great stay at Berjaya I was worried that the Andaman would not live up to our standards. Boy was I wrong! Our stay at the Andaman was absolute heaven for our entire family from start to finish!

The staff was beyond amazing. They were all so friendly and curtious! They made a point to get to know us and the children by name. After our first morning breakfast, we would come to the table and they would have coffee and a kettle of hot cocoa for the kids without us having to even ask! At dinner one evening, they noticed us shielding our eyes from the lights trying to see the flying lemur in the trees, and they quickly went to reposition the lights without us asking. Wonderful people working at the Andaman, and it really enriched our experience having such fabulous service!

The resort itself was beautiful! The pool, AMAZING!!! The kids loved the slide, and there were many depths so kids of all ages could enjoy it safely. I loved that it was well shaded with trees, so that we could enjoy the day in the water, but shaded so we didn't have to be lathered up in sunscreen every day. The sun in this part of the globe can be very intense! The pool and pool grounds were very clean and well kept!

The young explorers club was beautiful. Though, I can't say we took much advantage of the activities since the resort itself had so much to keep us busy as a family. It was by far the nicest kids club I've ever seen. The yoga instructor had added an extra kids yoga class for our children since we had missed the only one offered during the time we were there, which I thought was so kind. Free of charge!

The food was FABULOUS!! We loved the Malaysian restaurant on the beach side. Beautiful setting, amazing food! I wish we could comment on the Japanese and Seafood restaurants, but our time didn't allow for us to try them all. I am sure they were equally amazing.

The SPG Kids was a great option. Pay 60RM per day and the kids can order off the kids menu for each meal (3 course) plus any kids drinks (juices and sodas) all day long. We quickly realized this was the way to go, and the kids were quite happy with the menu.

Our rooms were beautiful and very comfortable. We had adjoined rooms for us and our children, and the decor was so warm and inviting. There were some areas in need of some repair here and there, which I would think you'd hope for better with a luxury resort, but we don't get too hung up on those things. Just some water damage outside one bathroom on the wood floor, and the doors to the small decks had locks that didn't seem to be very well secured.

We saw SO much wildlife, and this was such a thrill for the kids. Monkeys, flying lemurs, lizards big and small, crabs, beautiful birds, and more. Just be warned, monkeys will get into your room if you aren't careful. AND, trust us when we tell you they love the mini bar! We were warned, and we learned our lesson! haha...

The beach was beautiful! We found a lounge bed off the beach bar that was perfect, as we could relax as we watched the children playing in the sand. Plus, the sand on this side of the beach was softer, and had less coral washed up that can be hard to walk on. The beach itself did have a LOT of coral and rocks, and my daughter got a few scrapes trying to snorkel when the water was too low. So just be mindful of that.

We used the watersport shack to order kayaks, and had a great time paddling to the private island off in front of the resort beach. My 5 year old actually managed very well, and the calm waters made it a very enjoyable time.

Lastly, the Coral Nursery!!! This was started almost a year ago as an attempt to help rebuild the reef at the resort badly damaged in the tsunami of 2004. Dr. Larry and his team are doing some amazing work, and this was so wonderful to see. My daughter signed up to spend the day working with the marine biologists who care for the nursery, and she had an amazing experience. The children also had a chance to snorkle in the nursery and feed the fish there. They loved every minute of it!

You have to pay a lot more to stay here than you would other resorts at Langkawi, but we felt it was worth every penny!! We would love to visit the Andaman at Langkawi again, and would recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: We loved having a room on the first floor, as we had a deck with seating overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear “Rachris2000”,

Well…your review has really made my day! Thank you for these kind and gracious remarks. I’m delighted to know that you and your family were well taken care of during your stay with us – just as you should be. I agree that this location is very special – and the combination of 10 million year old rainforest, coral sand beach and fringing reef is indeed unique to this little corner of Langkawi.

I’m delighted to know that the kids had enjoyed our freeform pool and of course the slide! I’m also glad to know that they had participated in our “Young Explorers Club”, which aims to celebrate our rainforest location, and engage our younger guests in nature, wildlife and marine activities. It is great to hear that they had an enjoyable time with Ekraj, our yoga instructor at the kids’ yoga class as well.

I am grateful for your comments regarding food at our restaurants. During the last few months, we have added a number of new dining alternatives in order to bring more variety and choices and to ensure that we maintain a 5 star standard. I am delighted that you took advantage of the SPG Kids Pass - I agree that it offers great value for money for families.

I’m envious that you were able to spot so many of our “nature stars” and I give credit to the original architect of The Andaman for designing the hotel such that the hotel is inside the rainforest – and because so many of the trees and fauna were protected and maintained from the very start. I’m also delighted that you and your family had taken time to participate in our coral nursery activities. Thank you for your kind support and doing your part in protecting our environment.

I note your comments in regards to the slight glitches you had encountered in the rooms. Thank you for your kind candor on this issue. I’m glad to know that you’ve truly enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you would be planning a return soon. My team and I remain at your service.

Bromley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Andaman Langkawi following recommendation of a friend who had stayed a year before. Our stay was Half Board Jan / Feb 2013.

On arrival we were met in Reception with a welcome drink and staff who were clear and concise in explaining the hotel facilities. Our room was large and well equipped for a tropical holiday and best of all we had a view of Datai Bay beach and sea. Beautiful.

The hotel has restaurants for all ages and tastes, Asian and Western, from Burgers and fries to seafood straight from the local fishermen who land at the beach to deliver their catch, cooked to your taste the same day. The prices are reasonable.

The restaurants of the nearby Datai Hotel are also available for use and can be charged to your room at the Andaman. We were told of an Indian restaurant between the Andaman and Datai for which the hotel will arrange a free car take / pick up service, but we did not use this.

As in all hotels it is the staff that makes the difference. Talking to a number of staff, from many nations, it seems they have formed into a tight knit and happy community. The fact that they have been with the hotel for many years, 14 was the longest I found, speaks for itself.

The hotel is kept scrupulously clean at all times, corridors and public areas always spotless, gardeners in the grounds clearing up stray foliage and sweeping the paths, and at least once daily, sometimes twice, beach raking is done to remove the small amounts of water borne debris, sticks etc., and any washed up coral pieces, hard but not sharp.

The swimming pool is shallow and child friendly at one end, with a water slide, but also has deeper water for swimming. It is a large pool. The beach is approx 400M and well equipped with Sun Beds, large, free, beach towels are provided, and free drinking water is provided at various points.

Watersports are as described and the equipment is kept in good order. I used the Hobie cat every day, MYR 60 PH,except those days when the wind was absent. Booking advised but not always necessary.

There is a free shuttle bus to Kuha and Celang Beach, approx 35K /30K on alternate days, giving 4 hours, before collection return. If required a taxi can be taken costing approx MYR 60 from the above to the hotel, a little more the other way as the taxi has to come to the hotel for pick up – order an hour in advance.

Check time of year, rainy season etc., and if you do not have children then the school holidays of Australia, before booking. There is a young children’s club if required.

Look out for Alias, Bustami, Dewi, Hussan and Taufik in The Restaurant, Novita in the Japanese Restaurant, Sri in the Beach Bar and Azhar in the Boat House, all great reps for the hotel.

We had 3 nights in KL en route and then 14 nights in the Andaman. 3-4 nights at the Andaman being more normal I would think from observation. A long time for a pure beach holiday, but we did not think it too much relaxing in paradise.

Congratulations and thanks to Anne Scott, Manager.

Room Tip: Ask for Sea View, Room number 135, 235, 335 or 435 or higher, a little way away from the main hotel...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear “PQRBromley”,

You are very kind!! Thank you for these kind and gracious remarks – and for taking the time to post this review on Trip Advisor. I’m delighted to know that the check-in process was amenable and that you had enjoyed the presentation and view of your room.

I’m glad that you had mentioned about dining at the Datai, we ensure our guests are able to have the flexibility of billing. I’m pleased to introduce to you our latest addition – “Jala” which offers exquisite seafood dishes. We do not have fishermen coming on shore anymore but rather a very unique seafood display at this restaurant where our chef will guide you through the selection of your main course for the day.

Thank you for your kind mention of Alias, Bustami, Dewi, Hussan, Taufik, Novita, Sri and Azhar – he is excited to hear that you have mentioned them here and is thrilled to continue delighting our guests. I’m glad to know that you’ve truly enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you would be planning a return soon. My team and I remain at your service.

Loughton, Essex, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed for 12 nights and had a fantastic time as usual (having stayed several times before). The location is amazing - and just the kind of relaxing break that we needed. Yes - restaurants are pricey but food and service were excellent - we particularly liked the new Jala seafood restaurant which is new and right on the beach. Prices are comparable to other 5 star hotels on the island - if you want cheap, then you will need to hire a car and explore elsewhere. We liked the option of being able to dine at the Datai at the other end of the beach for a change. We also loved the free form pool and enjoyed walking the beach - there is a coral reef at one end of the beach by the hotel and bits of coral and shells do wash up onto the beach but further down towards the Datai, the sand is fine and soft underfeet. Not sure why guests complain about the monkeys - they are the natural inhabitants of the area and add to the charm - just need to be wary when they are near. Rooms are spacious and the bathroom was well equipped. All staff were friendly and polite - yes, some spoke better English than others but this is a small island not a luxury hotel in a major city - why would you expect all staff to speak perfect English?. If you want a nice relaxing beach holiday in beautiful surroundings, then this is for you - if you want glitz and an exciting night life than you may want to look elsewhere. For us, it was perfect and we hope to stay again in the future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear “JL and BG”,

You are very kind!! Thank you for these kind and gracious remarks – and for taking the time to post this review on Trip Advisor. We were delighted to have you with us for 12 nights. I must agree with your comment about our location – it is truly very relaxing and a very special little corner of the world. I’m also glad that you had enjoyed the presentation of your room. Kudos to you for taking the time to try our latest addition – Jala which offers exquisite seafood dishes. I’m glad that you had liked the idea of dining at the Datai, we do ensure that our guests are able to have the flexibility of choices.

I would be delighted to know if you would be planning a return soon, my team and I remain at your service.

kedah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have decided to choose Andaman after reading the reviews from Tripadvisor.
My choice is correct.
Road trip to Andaman was quite bumpy as it is far far to the Datai Bay. This is my first time coming to this area eventhough I ve been in Langkawi like a hundreds time.
But once arrived in the area, with the azure water welcoming us..... we just can't wait to get in the water.
1-Room was huge with 2 huge beds and a sofa bed. I am travelling with 4 children age 7,5, 3 and 0 so I need to consider the size of the beds everytime a book a hotel. Andaman is great for our big family. The room welcome us with a basket of fruits.
2-Pool and beach was incredible.Even during low tides, the beach is still beautiful. As our stay is too short, we did not get to join the nature walk.
3-Service is great. Staffs is always smiling and greets us. I have been to many 4,5stars hotel in Malaysia and sometime the staff are quite bias towards local tourists but The Andaman is nothing like that. Thank you to all the staffs who make our stay a memorable one.
4-The monkeys didn't bother us but make sure you lock the doors as they will try to open it.
5-Food was quite expensive as we rent a car so we just go out and have dinner outside.

Room Tip: south side is better
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear “ct10th”,

Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor. I do believe that your partner has posted his comments as well. Thank you for your family’s kind and generous review! As you may know, National Geographic said that this is the “9th best beach in the world” – thank you for your recognition of our beautiful beach. I’m also delighted to know that you had enjoyed the presentation of your room as well as our freeform pool which is rather unique in this part of Langkawi.

It is rather unfortunate that you were unable to join in our nature walk. I do hope that you could allocate the time in your future stay to take part in this educational and enjoyable activity as the kids will love this!

I do acknowledge that we sometimes have issues with the cheeky Macaque monkeys who can be quiet notorious. It is always reminded to our guests to close the balcony door. I will continue to look at ways to allow them to live peacefully around the rainforest, without irritating our guests.

We ensure that all guests are treated equally and I’m delighted to know that our staff took good care of you and your family during your stay – just as it should be. I do hope that you had felt at home. I would be delighted to know if you would be planning a return, my team and I remain at your service.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

All well, but food could be better and service more responsive.. Location superb though in a remote corner. Rooms are spacious and well laid out. The bathrooms are neatly done. The ambience is good, generally giving a sense of space. Food from what I heard from others as well could be better. Room service and general responsiveness can be improved, though staff are very courteous.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear “Srag4568”,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your experience on TripAdvisor. I’m delighted to know that you had enjoyed our rather unique location and the presentation of your room.

I am grateful for your comments regarding food at our restaurants. During the last few months, we have added a number of new dining alternatives in order to bring more variety and choices and to ensure that we maintain a 5 star standard. Though feedback has been encouraging, we have had a number of constructive and negative comments from guests - and it’s clear that we still have work to do. I do apologise for this and have dispatched the chef to review our recipe and on training. Thank you for your detailed feedback. I would be delighted to know if you would be planning a return, my team and I remain at your service.

Anne

Been to The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!