“Excellent Holiday Destination” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 96 Hotels in Langkawi
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Excellent Holiday Destination”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The hotel was every bit as true as per tripadvisors' reviews. We arrived late but the service was still first class, even at the late hour. Our room was totally awesome, with two sofabeds, perfect for our sons who are 3 and 5. The bed was extremely comfortable and we just love the bathroom.

We spent most of our time at the beach, which was very nice with seatings and shades. There was also free flow of water for everyone. The swimming pool was also very nice but perhaps not that much exciting for the little ones who were expecting better quality slides and water play.

My kids enjoyed the brief moments at the YEC, a place for teh children to do some activities under supervision.

The pros of the hotel: room comfort and staff hospitality. extremely the best

The cons: Quite far from anywhere else and the road was totally dark - no streetlights were on.. The breakfast selection was actually average, considering it is a luxury hotel. Also, the sink in our bathroom cant drain properly.

My bad experience was stepping on a small piece of broken glass in our bathroom the morning after we had our late check in. There was nothing broken since we checked in, hence it must be leftovers from previous guests. Called the housekeeping and asked them to totally clean the bathroom floor as I have 2 young kids travelling along and they said no problem.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
AnneEScott, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear “Haelin”,

Thank you for your warm and generous review and for taking the time to post it on Trip Advisor. I’m delighted to know that you had a smooth check-in process and had enjoyed your presentation of your room. I’m also glad that you had enjoyed your holiday was us by the beach and the swimming pool. I note your comment in regards to the slide at the swimming pool, I understand the need for something more “exciting”, it is our major concern to ensure that our Wee-IPs have an exciting (and safe!) time during their visits and I will certainly put this point into consideration.

Thank you for your nudge in regard to our buffet breakfast – we had recently had refurbishments done to The Restaurant and has tweaked our breakfast menu. In order to provide our guests with a wider variety we will continuously improve this.

I’m glad that your children had a good time; I do hope that they had discovered found the time in joining our “Young Explorers Club”, where it aims to celebrate our rainforest location, and engage our younger guests in nature, wildlife and marine activities.

I note your comments in regards to the broken glass found in your bathroom. However, I offer no excuses for any shortfall in service – we must do better. I apologize for any inconveniences it may have caused.

I’m delighted to know that you were well taken care of during your stay just as you should be. I do hope that my team and I will have the pleasure to welcome you and your family again at The Andaman.

Anne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We had a great time at the Andaman mainly due to the beautiful surroundings, friendly and helpful staff , great trips that were available with knowlegeable and informative guides. Highlights of our trip inc. the jungle trekk with Irshad , the mangrove tour with Francis and the after dark rainforest tour with Daia. Our room was spacious and very comfy. The staff were exceptional in their hospitality esp Jasni. They helped me to plan a very special proposal and went went to a great deal of trouble for us . Excellent value . Will be back soon !!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear “Trevor J”,

Oh we do love romance! Congratulations on a successful proposal – I must say that it is very romantic to be proposing in the setting of a combination of 10 million year old rainforest combined with coral sand beach is a little bit magical, and certainly rather unique. Kudos to you for joining in our many nature activities, I do hope that it was very memorable. Thank you for your kind mention of Irshad, Francis, Daia and Jasni – and for giving me the opportunity to energise them with your warm words. I am delighted to know you are planning a return soon. My team and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Penang Island, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

1) Service
the service here was consider excellent especially the staffs here are trained well and friendly.

2) Environmental
the environment here is quiet and freedom. suitable for relaxing and releasing stress. unfortunately, there are many monkeys surrounding the hotel. you really need to aware your goods and belongings when you dining in the restaurant. for those who not really want to relax to the max or like shopping, please choose other hotels as The Andaman Hotel is absolutely far from town. it's take around 1 hours drive to Jetty/ town and taxi fare approximately RM60- 80. in additional, there are totally no any shops around the hotel. you only can had your breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper or even your night life inside the hotel. no convenient shop and nothing here.

3)Food & Beverage
The food here is extremely disappointing me. i ordered one Salad and one Pasta in the afternoon at 3.30PM. we wait for approximately 20 to 30 minutes. our expectation towards of food was high because the food price quite expensive. when the F&B staff bring our food to us, i and my GF 10000% disappointed.

PASTA

Pasta is damn terrible. RM45 per pasta and there don't even have a Prawn in the pasta. Just paste with some chopped Red chilli, Olive oil, and fried dry onion ONLY. Pasta tasteless and terrible taste. not worthy at all. we are damn sad because our pasta was terrible.

Salad

The salad cost around RM40. quite expensive the price. The ingredients also simple. only a few vegetable with Bread Crouton. the taste better than the Pasta but still not worthy.

In General of F&B, i felt so disappointed with the food quality. Totally not happy and not satisfy with the quality of food. The F&B staff was good and friendly. Please aware your belonging also during your dining time. Monkeys might come over your to take over your food and accidentally harm you. i saw one Arabian guest harm by a monkey when the monkey came down to take her food over. Must be aware.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear "Ivan8888"
Thank you for taking the time to write and share this experience at The Andaman. I’m delighted to know that you were well taken care of during your stay just as you should be.

I do acknowledge that we sometimes have issues with the cheeky Macaque monkeys who can be quiet notorious but are harmless. It is always reminded to our guests to close the balcony door. I will continue to look at ways to allow these to leave peacefully around the rainforest, without irritating our guests.

I would suggest renting a car to explore the beauty of Langkawi. The round trip to navigate the island is approx 2 hours. The roads are in good condition and it’s almost impossible to get lost.

I am grateful for your comments regarding food at our restaurants. During the last few months, we have added a number of new dining alternatives in order to bring more variety and choices and to ensure that we maintain a 5 star standard. Feedback from September onwards had been very encouraging…however I have to acknowledge that in the last 3 weeks we have had a number of constructive and negative comments from guests - and it’s clear that we still have work to do. I do apologise for this and have dispatched the chef to review our recipe on salad, pasta and training. Thank you for your detailed feedback.

Thank you once again for your feedback. In the event that your travel schedule ever brings you back to Langkawi, I would be delighted if you would contact me directly – anne.scott@luxurycollection.com. It would be our pleasure to welcome you once again to The Andaman and be given the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Kind regards,
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

The pros:
(1) Quiet location, and nestled in plenty of greenery so spotting exotic birds and insects was interesting.

(2) Service by the hotel staff was outstanding! very friendly all around, police and quick to assist. Also, when we were showed our room, the air con and lights were already on, waiting for us, which was a nice surprise.

(3) Rooms were very comfortable. Bed was very nice to sleep on, bathrooms were nice and new

(4) Nice pool for swimming

Cons:

(1) It being so far away, it would inconvenient to drive out to do anything..

(2) Food at the restaurants were a little pricey

(3) The beach was rocky and not really conducive for swimming

(4) There were plenty of flies around the pool area that would settle on you if you were lying pool side (but i suppose that can't really be helped!)

Would I return? Yes.

Room Tip: If you get a room on the higher floor and you may see a hornbill upclose resting on a branch just li...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear “catspyjamaz”,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share this experience at The Andaman. I give credit to the original architect of The Andaman for designing the hotel inside the rainforest – and because so many of the trees were protected, the flora and fauna were maintained from the very start and indeed you would be able to spot many exotic birds, animals and insects. I’m delighted to know that you had enjoyed the presentation of your room and that you were well taken care of during your stay with us – just as you should be.

I do agree to your comment in regards to renting a car to explore the beauty of Langkawi. The round trip to navigate the island is approx 2 hours. The roads are in good condition and it’s almost impossible to get lost.

I take note of your comments regarding flies around the pool area. Of course, in a tropical location, there will never be no-files and mosquitos but we do always try our best to keep its disturbance level at best.

I note your feedback regarding pricing of our food at our dining venues. I had thought our prices were competitive with the other 5 star hotels on the island. However I will have another look – it’s important to me that our guests feel that they receive value for money.

As you will have discovered, the 2004 Tsunami did a lot of damage to the corals at Datai Bay. The “rocks” that you had discovered were actually dead corals. In October 2010, we initiated a project to regenerate the reef. Over time, Mother Nature will rebuild the reef, but we can give her a helping hand by removing dead corals and in our new Coral Nursery which we opened last December. It will take time, but we are 100% committed to the conservation and rebuilding of our beautiful little coral reef and to the protection of this fragile eco-system. Thank you for your kind understanding on this issue.

I’m delighted to know that you would be planning a return soon. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

The location is just AMAZING, no need to mention.
I loved the fact to be living among the forest species for a while, I got to see beautiful birds and bugs that seem to accomodate with the activities of the Hotel.
The sad part really starts on the beach. The hotel is isolated and benefits from a private beach. But as the (front)sea ground is covered with (dead) corals it should definitely not be a "swimming area", I assume that it contributed to destroy all the corals and while snorkeling one could easily notice the disaster. A shame.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear “Zineb K”,

I’m glad to know that you had also enjoyed our location. I give credit to the original architect of The Andaman for designing the hotel inside the rainforest – and because so many of the trees were protected, the flora and fauna were maintained from the very start. Kudos to you for participating in our nature walk, a complimentary activity for all guests at The Andaman, I’m envious that you were able to spot so many of our “wildlife stars” during your stay with us.

As you will have discovered, the 2004 Tsunami did a lot of damage to the corals at Datai Bay. In October 2010, we initiated a project to regenerate the reef. Over time, Mother Nature will rebuild the reef, but we can give her a helping hand by removing dead corals. In our new Coral Nursery which we opened last December, we grow new corals to assist the regeneration process. We do Reef walks fro guests to educate them on this fragile eco-system. Since we began in October 2010, more than 2000 guests have taken part in Coral habilitation activities. It will take time, but we are 100% committed to the conservation and rebuilding of our beautiful little coral reef and to the protection of this fragile eco-system. Thank you for your kind understanding on this issue.

Thank you for your kind comments in regards to dining at our restaurants. I do hope that my team and I will have the pleasure to welcome you again at The Andaman.

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Our family stayed at the Andaman over the New Year's holidays (older teen boy, university senior daughter). (Dec 26-Jan 3). The bay is relatively small, but the water was warm (beware of jellyfish as always in Malaysia), the sand was incredibly soft. It was lovely and quiet as it has a protected coral reef and is backed by the rain forest. There is little to do, other than rest, so bring books. The "library" available in the business centre had only a few foreign language novels and some hardcover hobby reference books. Good coffee there, though.
Lots of chairs available on the beach as most of the many young children were poolside. They seem to be well catered to with kids' programs. It was crowded and often very noisy at lunch.
There are some excursions you can take, but unless you have a car and your own itinerary it can get dull after a few days. The kids and I went on the mangrove kayak trip. The lunch at a local guest house was some of the best food we had! A dip in a little rainforest waterfall pool left my son and I with leeches., little black ones, not the tiger leeches we had experienced in Borneo. But it was still creepy and we hadn't been warned. Malaysia is just one big nature reserve, however, you never know what you will see. Take your binoculars.
Monkeys will check out your belongings for food if you leave anything alone unzipped or open - on the beach, at tables near the edge of the outdoor restaurant seating, etc. I would recommend this hotel if you really need a rest and love to sleep under the trees by the beach. Its a lovely view over the water.
Dinners on the beach were a nice touch, but the buffets tend to be mostly seafood/shellfish. They seem to try for variety in cuisine in the other hot dishes even at breakfast, but still a lot of seafood in everything. Service at lunch by the beach and in the evenings at dinner in the restaurants is almost unbearably slow. They ran out of several items at lunches that week, including satay! The menu at "The Restaurant" in the evenings offered lots of healthy options and the food was very good (once we got it).
The Spa is interesting, situated as it is up in the treetops. The attendants are very nice, but it was extremely chilly having a massage in the open air on a cloudy day with breezes blowing through. I had to ask for extra towels to try and stay warm. The soak in the tub was also lukewarm, but the almond cookies and tea while you are in the tub are a nice touch.
The rooms were comfortable with plenty of room and a nice big bathroom. We opted to turn off the AC and use the ceiling fan a lot of the time. Unfortunately the housekeeping staff would turn the AC back on and the room would be freezing by the time we returned late afternoon!
Our original room reservation was completly messed up when we arrived late evening (yes, its a long drive from the airport) we had to wait while they prepared another room. We had asked for 2 rooms, 2 twin beds and were given 2 king rooms. My son and husband shared a bed that first night and at 6'6" and 6'5" that's not a lot of space! Not what you would expect from an expensive hotel where we were looking forward to relaxing. Things were sorted out the next day, but still. As we were there for New Year's the dinner and party were mandatory and expensive - we had to pay for it as part of our reservation. Unfortunately two of us were sick with a stomach bug so had to watch what fireworks we could from the bedroom window.
Perhaps the hotel was feeling the press of so many visitors at holiday time, off peak might make it feel a little more "luxurious".

Room Tip: sea view - higher floors to avoid the trees being in the way
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear “CENNewJersey”,

Thank you for choosing The Andaman for your stay on Langkawi and for taking the time to post this review. As you may know, National Geographic said that this is the “9th best beach in the world” – thank you for your recognition of our beautiful beach. I will not claim to be a scientist, but I am informed that there are fewer jellyfish sightings at Datai Bay than other more populous parts the island. Research over the last few years has shown that as water pollution increases, so do jellyfish numbers. I do note that our library in the business centre is rather small. We encourage our guests to leave books that they have read at our library and exchange with another.

I’m glad that you had enjoyed the presentation of your room I do apologise for the initial glitch you had encountered upon check-in. We often receive comments regarding damp smells in the rooms which are why our housekeeping would keep the air conditioning on when they have cleaned the room to avoid the dampness.

I do acknowledge that we sometimes have issues with the cheeky Macaque monkeys who can be quiet notorious. It is always reminded to our guests to close the balcony door. I will continue to look at ways to allow them to live peacefully around the rainforest, without irritating our guests.

We continuously receive positive feedback in regards to the location and service of the spa. I’m delighted to know that you had taken time to explore our spa and I’m glad that you had an enjoyable time.

Thank you for your feedback in regards to dining at The Andaman, we often offer buffets that are not only seafood but have a taste of everything in order to provide a good choice and variety for our guests. I note your disappointment in service and lack of items and offer no excuses. We must do better. We are committed to continuously enhance our guest experience and I have passed on these comments to our food and beverage and cuisine team for improvement. Thank you for spurring us on.

It was rather unfortunate that you were unable to join us at our New Year’s Eve party but I do hope that my team and I will have the pleasure to welcome you again at The Andaman. We remain at your service.

KL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The hotel is in a rather secluded area in Langkawi. However, it is a beautiful part of the island surrounded by lush rainforest. I do agree that it does struggle to live up to its "luxury collection resort" name as the maintenance of the resort is not great.

Check in was quite painless. The room itself is a good size, equipped with a Nespresso machine which is a nice touch. Unfortunately, the cleaners do not do a good job with the cleaning and it is quite dusty which can be slightly tricky if you suffer from allergies.

The restaurants serve pretty good food and I would dare say, not overly expensive. Drinks are averagely priced and I would highly recommend the happy hour at the beach bar. As the hotel is quite far away from civilization, you do not have much choice in terms of dining.

The service in general was very good and the staff were very attentive. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear “summerskye3”,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. I was glad to know that you had enjoyed your stay but I was sad and sorry to read you did not feel that we live up to the “Luxury Collection Resort” name. I note your comments in regards to the interiors of our resort and the need for maintenance. Rest assured we do have more plans rolled out to ensure that our guests would fully enjoy their stay with us.

I note your comments in regards to cleaning. I do apologise for this and I offer no excuses – we must do better. We are committed to continuously enhance our guest experience and I have passed on these comments to our housekeeping team for improvement. Thank you for spurring us on.

Anne

Been to The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!