“most relaxing holiday ever” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Stay Longer For Less
Ranked #5 of 96 Hotels in Langkawi
Sydney, Australia
“most relaxing holiday ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We have travelled all over the world and have a number of favourite places but staying at the Andaman for 7 days was probably my most relaxing holiday ever. The staff were very friendly and accommodating and the mixture of guests was great. The hotel seems to have a good balance between big enough to have a range of food outlets but not to big to feel lost. For its size it still maintains a cosy friendly feel. The monkeys were very cheeky and amusing and we enjoyed the free night walk around the hotel to view the flying lemurs, bats, black faced monkeys and other assorted wildlife. The pool was beautiful ans so was the beach with great areas to lie in the shade and be served drinks with complimentary nuts and olives. I was also surprised how reasonable the food prices were and how cheap the alcohol was at the shops. All in all a great place to unwind and we have told them we will be back next year with the rest of our family. Oh I nearly forgot the great trio who serenaded us each night at dinner.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Korean first
Surrey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I was really looking forward to trying out this resort having read all the glowing reviews on trip advisor. I have been living in South East Asia for 2 years now and over this time I have stayed in many 5 star resorts and I must say I was a bit disappointed comparing this resort to its competing resorts elsewhere.

The hotel looks a bit tired and is in need of some refurbishment. As another reviewer mentioned all the wooden structures are run down and its the first thing that strikes you as you arrive. Maybe due to the time we stayed or maybe due to the refurbishments going on in some of the rooms, the resort felt empty and for example there was no-one handing out towels by the beach although there was a hut, so we had to walk back to the pool for towels, the Sun-bed cushions looked unloved and dirty. The room was spacious and the bed was really comfortable but again it just felt a bit tired. Also the hotel is so far away from everything else on the island, airport is 45mins away, Cable Car, Sky Bridge (which by the way is closed and has been closed for the past 2 months) is about half an hour drive away. One of the oddest thing was that your room key was not used to control the power in the room, you could leave all lights on when leaving and that was no problem, I find this very odd since all hotels these days are so very conscious of usage of power and also being so close to the rain-forest should be environmentally friendly.

On the plus side the swimming pool was really nice. Beach was beautiful and the room was spacious and comfortable. We were also upgraded from a rain-forest lodge to sea view room on arrival which was great, Breakfast buffet was very nice and the food was tasty and fresh. Staff were friendly (although there was not much of them around).

To summarize, its just the little things that are missing that makes you feel a bit under whelmed with this resort. I would have given it 3 1/2 if half scores were available

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Bendigo, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Fantastic Hotel set in a beautiful rain forest with a great sandy beach. The staff were very freindly and attentive, nothing was too much trouble. The Rainforest Treetop room was spacious with it's own balcony. This gives a great view of the monkeys and native fauna around the Resort.
The main pool is huge with an inbuilt waterslide - great for the kids and young at heart.
The food from all the restuarants was delicious and resonably priced, as were the drinks.
The atmosphere is relaxed and it's a great place to unwind. I recommend at least a week here.
Cars can be hired from the Lobby, as all attractions are a distance away. A great getaway for family and friends.

Room Tip: Rainforest Treetop rooms have good size balcony's with great viewws of the Resort.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Everything was perfect. The rooms are really nice and confortable + the view on the sea is amazing. The staff is really welcoming. The environnement is awsome : Forest, beach, pool, relaxing....

The spa is AMAZING, don't miss that, the experience is just perfect.

The malaisia restaurant is really good but little bit expensive.

Room Tip: Don't miss the rooms with the sea view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed for a short escape from Tokyo and one of the most relaxing short breaks we have had. The hotel is great, but quite a long way from the airport. This is great as its so isolated so you cant do anything but relax in the hotel, but it is a long way from most attractions etc. The pool and adjoining private beach are great to switch off. Staff and setting are amazing. Great place to unwind, not so much if you want to be an active tourist. The Datai is not far away if you want a change of setting for dinner.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I just returned from a weekend at this hotel with my husband to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I've been looking forward to staying at the Andaman for years now and I've had friends and relatives stay there saying it was really nice. Maybe my expectations were really high, but I wasn't impressed with the hotel at all.

First the good parts. I have to say that I booked a promotional rate for a romance package which comes with a bottle of champagne and fresh flowers in the room. There was also supposed to be breakfast in bed (I say supposed to be because we were not given this at all...was told to have breakfast at the Restaurant, their main restaurant). Since it was our anniversary, we were given a complimentary bottle of red wine and also a lovely chocolate cake. So, all this was arranged in our room when we checked in very late at night (around 11.30pm). The room itself looked nice...big, comfy bed with clean sheets; clean bathroom with ample bath towels and fresh starfruit on the coffee table. The room also came with it's own espresso machine and you could make yourself a cup FOC...my husband was very happy with this. The next morning, we went to the beach and the pool. The hotel has a pretty big free form pool with a slide. The beach area has lots of sun loungers and towels as well as cold water are available form the pool area. The sea actually has some coral reefs that make it great for anyone who wants to do a bit of snorkeling. Not sure why though, but on the first day, we felt some stinging when we went for a dip in the sea. On the following day, we walked further up the beach (closer to the Datai Hotel) and went in for a dip but didn't feel any stinging. The water is pretty clear for Langkawi's standards and the sea was calm both days that we were there.

On to the parts I wasn't so impressed with. Firstly, our room had a power trip 2 times in a afternoon. The electrician came the first time around and fixed it. But just a few minutes after he left, the power tripped again. This time he came back and spent a good 10 minutes fixing it...luckily, it didn't trip again after that. Next, I got a little shocked when I tried to switch on my bedside lamp and found upon a closer look that the wire was cut...informed the front desk about this upon check out but seriously a luxury hotel should make sure things like this are sorted out without having a guest bring this up.

Food wise, the buffet breakfast was okay...nothing great compared to other hotels I've been to. We only visited the beach bar and the main restaurant during our stay. While the food we had at dinner at the Restaurant was good, the menu was very limited in my opinion. There was only 1 pasta dish...but lots of Malaysian food. Maybe it's more suited to foreigners because as a Malaysian, the last thing I want to eat at a hotel is Nasi Goreng or Char Kueh Teaw. Considering that the hotel is at least 20 minutes away from the nearest shopping area, I was expecting a more extensive menu and maybe even more restaurants. Room service menu was not too bad but again, I've seen better at other hotels.

Thirdly, be prepared for insects. There were many mosquitoes at the restaurant at night and although I had asked a waiter if we could do something about it, nothing was done...no repellent, no mosquito coil. Maybe it's our fault for wanting to sit outside and have dinner. If you're prone to mosquito bites, sit inside. At breakfast, there were many flies...I suspect this is because the hotel is right in the middle of a forest. However, I wonder if there is nothing that can be done about this without being a problem to the environment in itself.

The beach is generally clean, but there are some washed up trash visible. I read that the staff do clean the beach but I wonder how often because I saw a used toothbrush on the beach around 10am...not what I was expecting at a private hotel beach. Just an observation though because otherwise the beach and reef has been maintained pretty well by the hotel.

Service standard was really average for me. Hardly any of the wait staff looked happy...the same goes for the pool staff and front desk. It seemed like everyone was just going through the motions. I understand that it's possible they've been pretty fully booked but people come to this hotel to get great service...not just standard service. Another thing I was not happy with was that our room was never cleaned. Housekeeping had stopped by and I had informed them that we'd be leaving our room in 10 minutes. So I had expected that while we were away, our room would be cleaned. But we came back mid-afternoon to our room exactly the way we left it...bed not made, towels not changed and no toiletries top-up. Maybe it's a case of mis-communication...Lastly, I was really disappointed that we didn't get the breakfast in bed that was supposed to come with the package. I should have complained about this while there but I was so disappointed with things in general that I decided to just not make an issue.

Some other things I noticed was that the lamps in the lobby had cobwebs on it, the overall look of the hotel looks like it could do with an update and ongoing renovations which are a bit noisy.

In conclusion, while I understand how the Andaman is supposed to be a luxury hotel based on the experiences of other reviewers here, I personally was not happy with my experience. I'm glad that I got a promotional rate to stay at this hotel because I can't imagine paying full price for what I got. In my experience, there are other better hotels which you could stay at with the same amount of money.

That said, if you want to be close to nature, this is the place for you. There are lots to see and do for the nature lover.

I, however, will not be returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: I was in Room 418 and there was some noise from vehicles at odd times. I believe it was the south wi...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Was looking for a serene beach holiday, away from the stressful city lifestyle and I found just that. Located about 30mins drive from the airport, The Andaman is very remote, surrounded by a lush rainforest full of wildlife and a beautiful stretch of sand. Prior to jetsetting, was a little worried about the weather, considering it had been raining everyday in Singapore for the past week but was blessed with sunshine in Langkawi (The only encounter with rain were during the nights when we were sleeping).

BEACH: The beach was beautiful. View was stunning. Yes, there are renovations happening on the beachfront (think they're renovating/building a new restaurant) & it can get quite noisy but you can find a spot further down the beach & the sound of the waves crashing onto the beach moreorless cancels out the noise. Definitely not a cause for concern. Waters were nice though quite murky. High-tide (happened about 2pm) caused quite a lot of rubbish to be swept onto the beach but the lovely staff were constantly cleaning so this was not an issue. If you're looking to simply relax on a picturesque beach, this is the place for you! The beach houses another resort much further down but with such a vast stretch of sand did not feel crowded at all. Noticed a lot of the hotel guests, particularly those with children were by the poolside. I chose to spend my days on the beach.

FOOD/DRINKS: There were 3 different restaurants at the Andaman - great variety of food. Though I would recommend the Asian food over the Western. Drinks were great. Given the remoteness of this hotel, I was surprised at how reasonably priced the food/drinks were! Great value for money! On our first breakfast, our bill came with 50% discount which was a pleasant surprise but unfortunately a staff approached us later to say her colleague had made a mistake. Too good to be true!

ROOM: Our room was located in the north wing with a sea-view. Had a flat screen TV, very large L-shaped sofa and a king-sized bed - though was a little dimly lit even with all lights/lamps on. The bathroom was fantastic - had a rain shower (bonus!). Loved the small touch of the complementary bottle of wine & copious amounts of free bottled water in the room.

IMPROVEMENTS: If i HAD TO nitpick and point out some areas for improvement:
1) Towels for the pool/beach had stains and/or holes in them
2) Toilets by the pool were VERY dimly lit & often clogged

OVERALL: Excellent relaxing weekend getaway - just what I was looking for. Staff were all very friendly. Band who performed by the bar was great. Fantastic holiday.Wish I could've stayed a little longer!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!