“I wouldn't stay anywhere else on Langkawi” 5 of 5 stars

Family Escapade
Ranked #5 of 100 Hotels in Langkawi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“I wouldn't stay anywhere else on Langkawi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

such a relaxing resort! If I was coming back to Langkawi the only two places I would consider to stay are the Andaman or the Datai. The Andaman has the best location - right on the beach. It has lovely rooms - although the Datai's room are slightly nicer. The problem with the Datai is that you need to get a shuttle down to the beach. Also the Datai pool is not fantastic - just nice. If its fantastic rooms your looking for the Datai is for you. If its a combination of great rooms and location then pick the Andaman. We went to both before choosing where to stay and we picked the Andaman. These two resorts are out in the middle of nowhere - surrounded by amazing jungle. If your not looking for a relaxing, peaceful retreat, then best stay somewhere else. We were happy to stay at the resort for the whole holiday and do absolutely nothing but relax.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
AnneEScott, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear “apples1234”,
Well…your review really made my day! Thank you for your warm and generous comments. I am glad to know that you enjoyed our location – we do think that this combination of 10 million year old rainforest combined with coral sand beach is a little bit magical, and certainly is unique to this corner of Langkawi. . I’m pleased to know that you had a relaxing vacation and I do hope that you may visit us again at The Andaman soon.
Kindest regards,
Anne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We came here for a two week holiday and booked a package including dinner. We mainly came to relax, read and be indulged.
The hotel is situated at a gorgeous bay, the jungle ends at a paradise beach. From the minute we stepped in the beautiful colonial style entrance with elegant traditional music we felt relaxed and happy and that glorious feeling stayed with us for our complete stay of about ten days.
We had emailed before we came to inform the hotel on our Starwood membership and to display our wishes (we may have been a bit demanding after a recent disappointing experience in Vietnam. please forgive us!) At arrival we got an upgrade to a Starwood preference room in the wing that looks over the sea which was fantastic. The other wing seemed less attractive more in the forest and humid, but construction works may have improved this by now. Our very comfortable room had a splendid view, a nespresso coffeemaker, free of charge bottled water, a nice bathroom, sitting area, a good desk and a wonderful bed, in which we caught up lots of hours of sleep that we had lost at home. Delicious fruit was delivered every day. Unfortunately the windows cant be opened because of the monkeys, but you have to remind you are in the jungle, it is part of the experience. Free Wifi which was available even at the beach! good for email, but too slow when using VPN.
The food in all the restaurants was very good, the Japanese place was outstanding, the pool restaurant was very romantic. There is also a fun beach bar and a main restaurant which appealed less to us, except for its wonderful terrace. There was often life music, but it was never too loud or annoying. At Valentines day they made a fun evening around the pool with music and a huge selection of local food. We also liked the catch of the day, which you could select at the beach and which was than prepared for you in the evening. Wonderful! The only thing we didnt like was the buffet in the main restaurant, but if you have kids you may prefer it.
The staff of the hotel is very friendly and you sense that they are proud to work here. The main restaurant was a bit understaffed, which slowed service, while this was not an issue at the other restaurants. The staff still took time to indulge the guests but I think the management should investigate whether the distribution of personnel among the different restaurants is fair.
The pool is large and for people with kids a fun place, we preferred the beautiful beach. Waiters brought water free of charge (eco friendly not in bottles!) all day long and also served food on request. The sea was refreshing and the scenery almost too beautiful to be true.
The gym was small, but ok. There is also a children's entertainment center, which we can not value, but it seemed to be a nice place to hang around. The only minor point that we experienced was that the hotel should to pay a little bit more attention to maintenance of the corridors, especially at the doorsteps of the rooms.
I almost forget the SPA, The spa was outstanding!! On it self a reason to go the Andaman. The spa areas are spectacular situated, the massages are fantastic, we went back several times to experience different treatments. They use the excellent intelligent nutrients products.
We went shopping assisted by one of the chauffeurs of the hotel, which was ok, but going anywhere else on Langkawi actually feels like stepping out of heaven. If you want to buy only some souvenirs you better go to the shop in the Andaman or the Datai which is located in the same bay. To conclude we would like to thank Andaman, the GM Mrs Scott and its staff for the most relaxing holiday we ever experienced!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
AnneEScott, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear “anna232”,
Thank you for posting this review – and for your great comments. I am delighted to know that you had enjoyed your two week stay at The Andaman. I’m glad that you had found our staff friendly and that you were well taken care of during your stay.

I agree that this location is very gorgeous – and the combination of 10 million year old rainforest, wildlife, coral sand beach and fringing reef is indeed a tranquil and peaceful little corner of Langkawi.

Thank you for highlgithing the comfort of your room. I’m so glad that the presentation of the room had met your expectations.

I’m delighted that you has enjoyed the cuisine offered at our restaurants especially the Japanese Restaurant. Also I’m glad that you had met our Fisherman – “Uncle Man’ - who visits our beach every day around 4pm with his catch. Usually, he manages a good selection of sea bass, garupa and snapper…and then our staff are on hand to take your order for how you would like it cooked and which venue you would like to dine at. When he first started delivering fish to The Andaman, he had a small wooden boat and one wife…and now he has a brand new boat and two wives!!...so you can be assured that he is a good fisherman! Your comment has certainly energized our culinary team – thank you!

I take note of your comments regarding the slow service and staff distribution throughout our restaurants and for the maintenance of corridor cleanliness. We already had a conversation at our team briefing on both of these issues; thank you for your constructive comment.

I hear your frustration regarding the speed of internet. We offer a Wifi service complimentary to all guests, both in the rooms and all public areas (including the beach!) but have a restricted bandwidth coming into our bay in which we share this with the guests at the neighbouring hotel ‘The Datai’. I confess that this can be very slow at times but am in the midst of discussion with our local telecom company on options to increase our speed and we will have a new solution in place by December.

Kudos to you for spending time poolside – I’m glad that you had spend time relaxing. We are on an initiative is to eliminate plastic water bottles and at the same time being able to refresh our guests with ice cold water. Thank you for your encouragement.

It is wonderful to hear that you have enjoyed the spa treatments and activities. The views are quite spectacular, and I continue to receive fabulous comments regarding the quality of treatments. I hope that you travel schedule will bring you to Langkawi soon and that we would welcome you once again at The Andaman.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I've always been a fan of secluded island resorts. The resort is tucked away at one corner which provides you ample amounts of privacy and alone time to get away from the hustle and bustle of the hectic city life.

The lobby is an open space area and you can actually view the ocean from there. You receive daily amenities during your stay. The breakfast experience was a little plagued with flies. The swimming pool is to die for! We decided to give the spa a try, the treatment rooms are partially open air facing the ocean, so while you are receiving your massage, you can hear the soothing sounds of the waves. Very relaxing!! Beware of the occasional gecko, afterall it is in its natural habitat. Driving out from the resort at night can be a little bit scary as the are no street lights for a good 1 - 2 km's if not mistaken. There's also quite a number of monkeys at the resort so remember to leave your balcony door closed.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear “sidious19”,
Thank you for your warm and generous review and for taking the time to post it on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to know that you had enjoyed your stay at The Andaman. I do so completely agree with you regarding our location. I know that I am biased but I think this little corner of Langkawi is just gorgeous and very special!
I take note of your comments regarding flies. Of course, in a tropical location presents challenges but we do always try our best to keep its disturbance level at best.
I do acknowledge that we sometimes have issues with the cheeky Macaque monkeys who can be quite notorious. It is always reminded to our guests to close the balcony door. I will continue to look at ways to allow these to leave peacefully around the rainforest, without irritating our guests.
It is wonderful to hear that you have enjoyed the spa treatments and the soothing sounds of the waves. The views are quite spectacular, and I continue to receive fabulous comments regarding the quality of treatments.
Kudos to you for renting a car to explore the island. The roads on Langkawi are in very good condition and though some stretches of roads may have a lack of street lights, it is still quite safe to drive around the island.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We'd planned to stay at the Andaman on the last leg our trip around Malaysia. We were really looking forward to some rest and relaxation by the beach in the middle of the rainforest. When we arrived we were asked to take a seat in the lobby where we would be brought a welcome drink and checked in. Sadly, we found ourselves listening to builders working and lots of incessant banging! It wasn't the best welcome to a luxury collection resort! Although the staff were lovely and the room was great it couldn't detract from the fact that in a supposedly idyllic location there was loud buidling works going on. The minute you left your bedroom you could hear it and as as result you werent able to take in the sounds of the rainforest or relax.

We were never warned about the building works prior to our arrival or we would have made alternative plans. When asking reception when the works take place we were told between the hours of 10a.m and 5p.m. The banging had already started when we were having breakfast at 9.15a.m on our first morning and were still going on at 7.20p.m when we were having drinks at the bar! Worth being aware that the building works could also be heard all day when sat by the pool or on the beach. Very disappointing! Also, the pool is mostly in the shade. We complained and ended up paying a little more and staying at the Datai which was paradise! Probably one of the best hotels we've ever stayed at.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear “claire h”,
Thank you for choosing The Andaman for your stay on Langkawi – and for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I was sorry to hear that you felt disappointed.
I acknowledge your comment about the importance of transparency when communicating about renovation plans. I believe that holidays are very precious and I apologise for any feelings of frustration that you experienced.
We had set strict house rules for our contractors and it is important to me that this work is well controlled. We do try our best to ensure that the renovation works do not disturb our guests. It is our responsibility to ensure that we control our contractors, and I apologise for any shortcoming in this regard. I offer no excuses.
I read your comment regarding shade at the swmming pool with interest. As you know, the resort pool is set with rainforest on 2 sides, and direct access to the pool. We have had good comments about the shade at the pool cuased by the ranforest canopy. I confess I never thought to cut this back, but I am interested in your comments, and will have another look at this issue. I would like to be able to provide both shade and sunny spots. Thank you for your comment on this.
Thank you once again for your feedback. In the event that your travel schedule ever brings you back to Langkawi, I would be delighted if you would contact me directly – anne.scott@luxurycollection.com. It would be our pleasure to welcome you once again to The Andaman and be given the opportunity to restore your faith in us.
Kind regards,
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed for one week at this special place. Staff were lovely, nothing too much trouble and always smiling! The setting is so relaxing and even though the main pool area and the roof were being renovated nothing was intrusive or troublesome. The beach setting surrounded by rainforest, and the lovely families of monkeys were very special. We had a most relaxing week and even the rainy days were OK as the weather was warm and it was rather fun to lay under towels beside the pool under huge umbrellas watching the tropical downpours. The spa is heavenly, Anne is to be recommended for reflexology and massage. All in all a wonderful week.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear “City/Countrycousin”,

How kind you are! Thank you for your warm and generous comments regarding your week’s stay at The Andaman.I was pleased to know that our staffs took good care of you, just as you should be. We do think that the combination of rainforest, beach and Andaman Sea is a tiny bit special. As you may know, National Geographic said that this is the “9th best beach in the world”, and whilst I know that I am biased, I would have to agree.

We do our best to ensure that the renovations works do not disturb our guests and I’m glad to know that it has not affected your stay. I am really excited about the renovation, and I think that Andaman guests will love the new facilities – Rainforest swimming pools, Garden Terrace rooms, new Beach Bar and “Jala”, our new Seafood restaurant.

I am especially happy to know that you took time to visit our spa during this trip. As you know the spa villas are set up on the rainforest hillside and therefore have the most gorgeous views across the bay. I continue to get great comments from our guests regarding the quality of our treatments. It is kind of you to highlight one of our spa therapists, Anne. It is not the first time that she has been mentioned in dispatches. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to energise her with your comments.

I’m glad to know that you’ve truly enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you would be planning a return soon. My team and I remain at your service.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We are a family of four (kids aged 7 and 12), and stayed at the Andaman during the last two weeks of August. We had a fabulous time - and totally attribute this to the hotel, its location, its style, its ambience, its food and its staff. It was a very special holiday.

The location is stunning, nestled within the rainforest and completely in tune with its surroundings. Overall, it gives the air of peace and tranquility away from the crowds - yet there was plenty to keep us occupied within the resort.

Our kids had a ball - loving the pool, beach, surf, food, staff, coral nursery, coral cleaning, nature walks - and even the kids club! Normally, they would turn their noses up at a kids club - but the Young Explorers Club captured their imagination, and they made lots of friends. A great touch for the kids is the SPG Kids Pass - fixed price dining for kids (12GBP per child per day) - great value indeed.

For our part, we enjoyed the relaxation, the food (superb) and service! We enjoyed several treatments at the spa, the gym and above all the Yoga Master - Ek Raj. We joined the complimentary yoga classes and took several private classes to both work-out and relax (with a personal meditation session). This was a great part of our holiday - next time we will contact Ek Raj in advance and work-out a schedule to expedite the relaxation process. It was great even to sit chatting to Ek Raj for an hour or so, during one of the tropical storms!

Oh yes - and to top it all, a pair of dolphins came to visit us whilst we were canoeing across the bay! An experience we will never forget.

The hotel is not quite perfect - some aspects are a little tired (but there is an extensive renovation programme going on now), but this never came into our thinking during the stay. For us, at this price range (very reasonable given the quality), it was PERFECT.

Thanks to all at the Andaman - from the Purvis family!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear "ThePurvisFamily",
Thank you for taking the time to write and share this experience at The Andaman. I was delighted to hear that you and your family had a fabulous time with us and had enjoyed our food and service. We do believe that this combination of 10 million year old rainforest with coral sand beach is unique to this corner of Langkawi…and is a wee bit magical.

I’m glad to hear that the kids had an enjoyable time and made lots of friends. I do hope that they had found the time to join in our “Young Explorers Club”, which aims to celebrate our rainforest location, and engage our younger guests in nature, wildlife and marine activities. I am delighted that you took advantage of the SPG Kids Pass - I agree that it offers great value for money for families.

I’m extremely envious that you were able to see dolphins while canoeing across our bay. It is quiet rare to be able to see these dolphins and you are truly lucky indeed!

I am especially happy to know that you took time to visit our spa during this trip. I continue to get great comments from our guests regarding the quality of our treatments. It is very kind of you to mention Ekraj. He is a great teacher and I am delighted to know that you took time to enjoy yoga classes with him during your stay with us.

Thanks again for posting this review. My team and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back again to The Andaman.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We've definitely found our heaven at The Andaman! Beautiful views, fabulous hotel and wonderful service. The staff were very helpful and friendly and always available if you needed them (all done with a smile). We were in need of some pampering and luxury and this is what The Andaman gave exactly! Highly recommend the nature walks and the kayaking/mangroves trip! Definitely the best way to appreciate the wonderful setting of the resort and to gain knowledge of the island.
We've found our piece of heaven! Totally recommended!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
AnneEScott, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear “Tracey K”,

Well…your review really made my day! Thank you for your warm and generous comments. I am glad to know that you enjoyed our location – I may be biased, but I must agree that we have an amazingly beautiful beach location at the Datai Bay and I must agree that it is truly heavenly.

I’m delighted to know that you were well taken care of during your stay with us – just as you should be. Kudos to you for taking the time to participate in our nature walks and mangrove tours. I’m glad that you had gained knowledge of this beautiful island. I do hope that you may visit us again at The Andaman soon.

Kindest regards,
Anne

Been to The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!