“Not perfect, but excellent.” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Stay Longer For Less
Ranked #5 of 96 Hotels in Langkawi
Doha
“Not perfect, but excellent.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

I loved this vacation and would recommend it for a relaxing time away. We stayed 7 days and 6 nights at the Andaman Langkawi Resort
Yes, the porter got lost leading us to our room (maps for the porters?), yes, we had to wait an hour before our room was ready upon arrival, yes, we were relocated during our stay due to construction. BUT, the hotel is large and though busy, never seemed crowded. The room may not have been ready because who wants to leave??? and we were relocated to an upgrade in an impressively respectful, helpful way.
Pros - The staff. Everyone we came across was smiling and helpful. Also, beautiful location and beautiful building. Very nice rooms with really nice bathrooms. Superlative spa, excellent buffet breakfast, excellent suppers (really five star)
Gorgeous beach, beautiful pool. Thick, large pool towels and cold bottled water plentiful and convenient. Business center, wireless in-room
(did I mention the spa??), dvd players in every room and the gift shop loans dvds. We saw two kinds of monkeys, three kinds of Eagles, countless butterflies and gorgeous trees and flowers
Cons - loud, high pitched--can't be cicadas?- that were startling, but by the second day, we could block them out. Someone else mentioned them in a review and I didn't believe it could be that bad, but it's definitely surprising. Also, I don't know if this is a pro or a con, but my husband and daughter went to the beach one evening for what they thought was a nature walk at low tide and they ended up helping to clean up the coral. If you're eco minded this would be good. Lastly, it is a jungle so there will be ants and bugs of many kinds. Re-reading this, it doesn't look so positive, but let me finish by saying, I didn't have to lift a finger all week and I mentioned to my husband about halfway through our stay that in times past, to live like this, you would have to be royalty.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
AnneEScott, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, April 26, 2011
Dear “user1Doha”
Thank you for taking that time to write and post this review about your stay at The Andaman.
I am delighted to know that our staff took good care of you – and I am very grateful to you for your gracious comments regarding our breakfasts and dinner offerings. How wonderful that you found time to make use of our award-winning Spa.
I am happy to know that wildlife featured highly on your holiday. As you discovered, the hotel is situated inside a 10 million year old rainforest and nature is abundant. It is possible to see eagles, hornbills and monkeys without even leaving your sunbed.
I do apologise if we coerced your family into “coral-clearing” one day! We do 2 types of coral activities around the fringing coral reef that is in our bay. We do “Reef walks”, and our nature team take guests out walking at low tides, explaining and engaging on our local marine life. We also do “Coral clearing”, as part of a re-habilitation project to renovate the reef, which was badly damaged during the 2004 tsunami. We don’t charge guests for either activity – and we do “feed and water” our guests afterwards. We do try to make both activities educational and fun – and voluntary! I will make sure we are doubly-clear for future, which activity is which, so that guests don’t plan to come on a walk, and then find themselves doing coral-clearing.
I am sorry if you were disturbed by the cicadas. The rainforest “soundtrack” – aka the cicadas - do start early morning and some guests say that they find the symphony of cicadas quite beautiful. They all have a different tone of mating call, each trying to find a suitable partner. I am sorry that this disturbed your rest and relaxation.
I do hope that we will welcome you again at The Andaman.
Anne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Korean first
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

We stayed 10 days and it's certainly one of the nicest hotels on Langkawi island, it's remote (14 km to "main road", fortunately, we had rental car from station at airport), but in the middle of the forest in a nice lagoon. Only neighbouring hotel "Datai" is nicer, but twice as much expensive. The Starwood Hotel "The Andaman" is well rated with 4*+, staff is friendly, but English is not so well spoken. The beach is clean, but should be cleaned more often. Breakfast presentation could be improved (fruit-flies at fruit corner, too hugh salmon platter - smaller but refilling more often would be better), lot's of steps - not suitable for elderly or wheel-chair. free WLAN in entire resort. I hardly saw the managers in the hotel, obviously they were engaged in meetings, hotel manager Anne should be more visible for guests. - In summary, one of the best choices in Langkawi due to the setting of landscape, other hotels near Airport are more "Ballermann"/Mallorca style. - 10 days Langkawi were too much, 5 days are ideal for the island, don't miss the cable-car on the mountain in the northwest!

Room Tip: spend more money, then you get higher floor ...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
AnneEScott, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
Dear “FVK2011”
Thank you for this Trip Advisor review – and for taking the time to share your comments.
I concur with your view that our hotel is away from the main roads, and I am aware that many guests chose The Andaman due to its tranquil rainforest location. Kudos to you for hiring a car. In my opinion, the quality of roads on Langkawi is very good and it’s an easy island to navigate around.
Thank you for your comment that I should be out and about more. I confess that often times, your comment is correct - I do have some weeks better than others…but that’s no excuse. Thank you for the candor of your comments. I will do better.
I read your feedback regarding beach cleanliness with interest. Cleanliness is an ongoing challenge for us. As I am sure you could see, 99% of the rubbish on the beach is washed up – mostly from boat traffic down the Malacca Straits. Our team hand-rake our beach end to end, morning and afternoon. We have resisted using any mechanical cleaning (eg a tractor), because of the impact on the serenity of our environment…as well as the impact on the beach fauna. We will continue to hand rake and to work at maintaining our beach cleanliness. I know it’s important.
Thank you for your comments on flies at breakfast. We think we will change the fruit display to a fresh-fruit station…and see if this helps to give the flies less enticing reasons to be around at breakfast. I acknowledge your remark regarding smaller dishes on the breakfast buffet. I will have a look at that with the team tomorrow morning.
It is kind of your to mention the free Wi-fi throughout the resort. We also provide complimentary access to 4 PCs at the Business Centre for guests who wish to keep in touch.
In the event, that your travel plans ever bring you back to Langkawi, please do let me know – anne.scott@luxurycollection.com. It would be my pleasure to handle your reservation, and to welcome your personally
Vancouver Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

A great resort in a beautifully quiet, rain forest setting with all the flora and fauna you could wish for. A pristine sandy beach with natural shade trees and no motorized vehicles or sea craft, just kayaks and sail boats.
Accommodations were OK, a little tired and dark perhaps but clean and spacious.
Food was variable, buffets and breakfast were excellent. A-la-carte at the main and beach restaurants were not up to what you would expect for the price. You are somewhat captive as there are few other restaurants in the area.
Drinks are expensive considering this is a tax free island. Suggest purchasing at the duty free on the way to the resort.
The resident band was superb especially the lead singer who entertained all ages and styles.
The resort was good for families and children, with activities such as nature hikes and kids club as well as a child friendly pool with slides etc.
We will return.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Dear “Nuken”
Thank you for taking the time to write this Trip Advisor review - and for sharing your experiences.
I am delighted that you enjoyed the rainforest. The wildlife and natural fauna are, we think, a little bit magical. Thank you for your endorsement of our decision regarding motorized sport –specifically that we don’t allow any to spoil the peace and tranquility of our bay. We are also advised that jellyfish prefer more polluted waters and thus we are super-keen to keep our bay as clear and clean as possible.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding breakfast and buffets. I also appreciate your candid comments regarding our A la Carte offerings. We’re in a bit of a crusade on food quality and menus at the moment. It’s important to me that we provide excellent fare during our guests’ holidays. We have changed menus in our restaurants recently, but we’re not ready to stop yet. Thank you for spurring us on.
I am very happy to read your remarks regarding our house band “9 Lives”. I continue to get super comments regarding Joy and her band – and especially regarding their ability to tailor their set to their guests.
I am glad to know that you took part in our nature walks – complimentary for all guests and a great way to get up close to the rainforest and local nature.
I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Andaman.
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

I'm have spend 5 days 4 nights with my partner at the Andaman Hotel. Everything is good except the followings: -
a) The room seem like nobody occupied for long time, smell bad.
b) The breakfast is same everyday. Perhaps that can change some of the variety.

The staff were pleasant and we treated well.
The SPA atmosphere really relaxing.

It is a good resort to stay if you are willing to travel an hour from the hotel to town or you have to spend your leisure at the resort only.

Thanks for the complimentary birthday cake on my birthday.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear “pooikuan”
Many thanks for taking the time to post this review – all comments are valued and appreciated. Thanks especially for choosing to spend your birthday at The Andaman – and I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your cake (well deserved I think!)
I am sorry to know that your room didn’t seem fresh on arrival. We overhauled our entire AC system during the last 8 months. In the spirit of candor, I confess that sometimes our rainforest location means that we experience additional atmospheric humidity, but since the Air-conditioning upgrade, I thought that we had fixed this issue. Thanks for raising this issue – I will have another look at this one.
I am grateful for your comment regarding variety at breakfast. We had had a couple of comments on this one…and we re-freshed our offering during the last 5 days, including rotation of items and dishes. We will continue to work on breakfast. I did think that it is often the most important meal of a holiday – and often the time, when guests have time to linger a little longer. Thank you for your comment.
It is kind of you to mention our Spa which does boast the most amazing views over the bay. I continue to receive super comments from guests about the quality and range of treatments offered.
Thank you again for your feedback. I do hope that we may welcome you again to The Andaman.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

Just finished a 4 day stay.

Up side:

Downside:
1- below average food at premium prices
2- Every secluded
3- Annoying wildlife

This resort is nested between the rain forest and a coral reef. Expect lots of wildlife cute ones and annoying ones.

Overall we enjoyed our stay sans the food.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
AnneEScott, General Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, April 9, 2011
Dear “akhordehpaz”
Thanks for this great review and for your detailed and candid comments - much appreciated!
I am delighted to know that you enjoyed the natural surroundings and wildlife of The Andaman. This rainforest is 10 million years old. I give credit to the architect for building the resort inside the trees…and for protecting so much of the natural flora, so that the monkeys, colugos et all had no reason to move anywhere else. The plus side of this is that there is abundant wildlife around our resort – but I do also acknowledge your remark they some interventions can also be annoying. We do have issues with the acquisitive Maqacue monkeys. I will continue to look at ways to allow these to leave peacefully around the rainforest, without irritating our guests.
I am grateful for your kind comments about our rooms and our staff. I acknowledge your remarks that we still have work to do on the quality of our food. It is important to me that our guests are well “fed and watered” during their vacation and that they felt that they had value for money. Thank you for spurring us on.
Thank you again for taking the time to post and share this review. I do hope that we may welcome you again to The Andaman.
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

We just spent three nights at The Andaman. We originally were in the Jungle view room which was very pretty but you could only see dense foliage. We decided to upgrade to the oceanview, which was well worth it. The views were amazing of the small bay, surrounding hills, and the sunsets. The beach itself was also very peaceful. The sand was white, the water quietly lapped onto the shore, and the jungle trees provided plenty of overhanging shade. The pool was very pretty and my two-year old loved the slide and meandering 'river'.

The only downside was the cost of the food. The breakfast buffet was approx US$20/person which we thought was too much, particularly since we're not huge breakfast people and stuck to muselix/fruit/yogurt. I suggest booking the room with breakfast included b/c it's less expensive that way. The Japanese restaurant was very good and the cost was similar to what we'd pay in the States, which was fine. We also were a little disappointed by the 'Malaysian' food available by the pool side and through roomservice. There wasn't a large selection (just 2-3 items), and they were pretty greasy.

But, I'm going on too much about the food. This was one of my favorite vacations! I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful room/view/beach/jungle. We immediately relaxed and had a wonderful time. I was also impressed with the staff who were very helpful, kind, and hardworking.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Dear “englishanthony”
Thank you for your kind comments and for taking the time to post this review. I am happy to know that you enjoyed our location, which we do think is slightly unique to this little corner of Langkawi. I am delighted to know that your rooms were comfortable. The Sea view rooms really do boast the most marvelous views across the bay, and as we are north-west facing, the sunsets from these rooms can be truly spectacular.
Thank you for your comments regarding our food. I was happy to know that you enjoyed your experience at The Japanese Restaurant. I note your comments regarding the range and quality of food served at our other venues. I am happy to report that we’ve upgraded our menus at both the Restaurant and the Beach Bar/Poolside since your stay. We had many guest requests to increase the range of Malay and local dishes…and feedback on the changes so far, is good. We will keep monitoring. It is important that we get this right.
It is kind of you to comment about our hard-working staff. I am delighted to know that you were well-taken care of. Just as it should be on a well-deserved vacation….!
I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Andaman again in the future.
Ballarat, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

This hotel was more than I expected and is certainly worth the effort and extra espense. You will however need a car while staying here (that is of course if one intends to venture away from the hotel) as the hotel is a fair trek from anything.
The staff were great and the rooms I found to be relaxing. The only down side was the length of time it took to check-in, other than that all was good.........oh yeah watch out for the Macaque's, they steal things.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear “AshburtonGrove”
Thank you for taking the time to write and share this review. I am really happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at The Andaman.
I would certainly endorse your view to hire a car during your stay. As you found out, Langkawi is a very easy island to navigate and the roads are in good condition, and so aside from dodging monkeys when you pass through the rainforest, driving in Langkawi tends to be calm and stress free.
I am delighted to know that our team took good care of you – and that you found your room comfortable and relaxing. I am sorry to know that there was a delay at check in - apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Thank you for highlighting the acquisitive Macaque monkeys. Given half a chance, they will scoot through any balcony door left unattended…and they are particularly adept at opening the mini bar! I hope that they didn’t spoil your stay too much.
Thank you again for your warm words and kind comments.
Best regards
Anne

Been to The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!