“Still outstanding!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 96 Hotels in Langkawi
Zurich, Switzerland
“Still outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

I have been to The Datai several times, now I am just back from a 5 days stay.

Before I went there, I read some articles here that stated that due to the new management the hotel standard has gone down, well I must say I do not agree, I find it is still at the same level as before. Most of the staff are still there, they all recognised me, greeted me and it felt like coming home! They even remembered what my prefereces are for food, and all other details are just amazing (I told to one staff that I canot eat Garlic so canot eat the cashew nuts that are delicious - the next day I had the same nuts without Garlic, prepared just for me!). This is exactly what makes the difference between The Datai and all other hotels in Asia - there is not only a lot of staff around, but they also understand how to treat the guests and make them feel special! They really know how to serve guests, know all the details that makes the luxury level (e.g. they do not start taking away your dish when your partner is still eating - something that happens all the time in luxury hotels in Asia, but not here at The Datai - they really know the details). I could state many other examples like this. The service is just great. Of course you can always find something, and also there are a few staff members that are not great, but overall still one of the best worldwide.

The new management is very very nice, talks to guests and wants to know if everything is fine, really cares for all details.

The food has become better, all restaurants have delicious food, and of course great service.

Well, there was one downside, but the hotel is not responsible for that: there was a wedding at the hotel at this time, there were around 80 guests, and they were not very nice, without any manners, and very loud....well this can happen in any place. But again: the EAM asked me if I was disturbed, if there was any problem I could call him anytime, he really cared about me being well despite this wedding and the loud wedding guests.

I will definitely go back soon, this is one of my very favorite place, because they really stick to high luxury standard with the service. Here it is not about gold and diamonds, just simply very very personal professional service! I hope they will continue with this great service - and btw I am just one of many many guests who continue to go back again and again, this is a good sign!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

To be fair, we think that our stay at Datai might have been more enjoyable if there wasn't so much hype about this place and if we only went there as a couple (on this occasion, we brought our little one). The hotel is good and it is recommended if you're not bringing kids and you love being in a rainforest and love a good secluded beach. However, we would not recommend this hotel if you (i) aren't keen on rainforests; (ii) aren't into seclusion and tranquility (far from everywhere); (iii) are bringing kids, mainly because there are much more kid-friendly hotels in Langkawi.

The lobby was smaller than I had imagined but lovely enough as what the hotel photos show. The check-in was good, organised and thorough in terms of information.....although we weren't sure to be impressed or not by the upfront child policy. Our villa was very spacious and spotless, very impressed by the level of cleanliness - by far the best we've seen.

Our main issue with the place was: (a) the reliance of golf buggies especially if you're in a villa. Of course we could walk everywhere but truth is that the place is a bit hilly and it's easy to get lost from our villa to the beach pool area. Having a child, using the main pool was not a option to us so the beach pool was a little further to get to; (b) the price of food was outrageous for the quality that was on offer and being in a secluded location, there wasn't much else on offer. We are happy to pay for great food but this was not the case here. Room service menu had limited variety; (c) hardly any air-con areas (eg breakast area had no air-con and not enough fans, a problem if your body is still getting used to the humidity.

What's good about the place: (a) good beach and comfy beach furniture; (b) everywhere was spotless; (c) well trained staff with good English; (d) good location in terms of combining a rainforest and beach. Main dislike: average meals charged at high prices (felt like we were always getting ripped off at each meal).

If you have kids and want a good secluded beach then Andaman would be better. Although we have to admit our stay at The Westin was more enjoyable for us in terms of pools, food and more kid-friendly. (We acknowledge that children/families are not the Datai's target customer segment).

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Duras, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

This is the second time we have stayed at The Datai and it did not disappoint. We stayed for 10 days and never left the hotel - it had everything we wanted! Wonderful service, fabulous pools and beach, a jungle teeming with wildlife, and superb restaurants. I really cannot fault it. If you love nature and wildlife it's the place to go; unfortunately some of the guests seemed to resent the noise/instrusion of some of the local wildlife. So my only caution would be, if you are concerned about monkeys harrassing you for food or wild pigs crossing your path, the Datai is not for you. For us it was magical. In terms of restaurants the Pavilion is superb; the chef was only to willing to offer dishes that were not on the menu and tailor the heat to suit our tastes. The Gulai is also very good but for me doesn't quite have the personality of the Pavilion. Pricewise, the hotel and restaurants are similar to Europe but worth every single ringitt. Definitely not a place for children - but the Andaman further along the cove is perfect.

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

our second visit to the datai was made even more special by being given the same room as our first visit(which is what we requested)and a complimentary bottle of champagne chilling in an ice bucket....this place is pure magic and you will not be disappointed if you decide to book here to stay......we always hire a car and eat out at the little harbor near to the cable car,there are several good restaurants to choose from and a new modern malaysian restaurant called "privilege" which is definitely worth a visit,great food and wine at very good prices,friendly staff and great service to boot....the gulai house at the datai still remains the best restaurant in malaysia...

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

We recently spent our honeymoon at The Datai in Langkawi, an amazing hotel in a beautiful natural setting and idyllic private beach which was cleaned daily.
The service was friendly and they employees certainly helped me to get used to my married name as they greeted us everywhere we went and somehow managed to remember and use our surname in all the restaurants and even the Spa. The staff are well trained to recognise long staying guests and return guests which was quite impressive.
Our villa which was situated in a rain forest; was spacious and comfortable with a lovely bathroom with his and hers washbasins etc which was definitely appreciated.
The bedroom had an Ipod with a great selection of music as well as a DVD player.
Beautiful balconies with the only downside being was the fact that you cannot order room service and eat on your balcony as the monkeys come rushing to attack your food.
The resort has 4 restaurants including the Gulai House. The beach restaurant was closed for renovation during our stay which was unfortunate. We enjoyed most of our dinners at The Thai Pavilion. The food was incredible and according to us even better than The Gulai house.
The food and beverage prices are quite high for Malaysia but the service justifies it.
The cocktails in all the restaurants and bars are excellent, the best I have had in years.
The spa treatments were so amazing that we decided to have a few, even though the prices are equivalent to or higher to those of top spas in Europe.
We had a fantastic honeymoon and will certainly consider returning to The Datai in the future should our trips take us to Malaysia again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

We stayed at the Datai with our 1.5 year old in Oct and had a relaxing time. The room was clean and spacious, they had prepared the child cot before our arrival and staff are friendly. We found the Thai Pavilion food was our best meal in Langkawi, it was spciy and tasty but of course you pay western prices. The other foods offered at the hotel was passable (although we did not try the Gulai house as it was closed on the night we decided to stay for dinner), but then again you don't come to Langkawi for food.

It is such a bonus that they offered free wifi (except in the pool and beach area) and you can utilise their "business center" for free - this basiclaly comprised of 2 computers and a printer.

It is in a rather isoldated area and you really need tyo hire a car to get around at your leisure (without costing an arm and a leg if you use the hotel service).

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

I went to Datai in July this year with my husband for our honeymoon. It was really clean and quiet! We looked at many many different hotels before we decided to choose. In fact, we visited other hotels but they seemed to be crowded with kids and loud music etc. I really enjoyed the stay, the rooms were clean, luxurious and the staff were friendly. It felt peaceful to be in Datai especially with rain forest and really nice beach. The price is quite high-maybe a bit too much?? But if you really want to getaway and have some quietness, I would definitely recommend Datai. Food isn't that nice-and expensive. But, if you rent a car, you can go around Langkawi and find other cheap and good food to eat. We tried to go snorkeling but the gears were broken so it wasn't successful...sad...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Datai Langkawi? Share your experiences!