“The best hotel in Malaysia - we love it here!” 5 of 5 stars

The Datai Langkawi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Teluk Datai, Langkawi 07000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #3 of 96 Hotels in Langkawi
London, United Kingdom
“The best hotel in Malaysia - we love it here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

We have been coming to Datai every year for some time. It is the best hotel in this part of the word to our knowledge , from perfect sandy and empty beach, superb and personal service , fantastic food with a huge choice , monkeys hopping on the balconies and wildlife just to die for ..
My girls ( now 5 and 8 yr) love coming here! ( since they were born , the staff treats them personally with love, even above our end corner suite where we always stay - they have put our family name - home-.. Lovely touches like this make it even more special.. We can not fault this wonderful hotel! our most looked forward holidays of the year !

Room Tip: We love staying at the end corner suites. With two kids it is a massive size and an easy access to t...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

What a great place. I stayed 3 nights in one of the Villa's with a plunge pool. The villa was beautifully maintained and was right in the middle of the forest and about a 3 minute walk from the ocean. It was very quiet with the exception of the cicada's who have the most amazing sound. The property is HUGE and while I really only saw the area where the Villa's are, I did spend some time in the lobby bar/area and it was incredibly quiet and relaxing.

As I checked in, there was about an hour wait to check in to my room. I ordered a coffee as I waited to pass the time while I read my book. When they came to get me to let me know my room was ready, I tried to pay for the coffee and they told it was on the house as I had waited so long. Loved it! I have stayed in many many hotels in a lot of locations around the world and this is the first time that someone has acknowledged a wait to check in and given me a free coffee.

The staff were amazing, and the service incredible. I live in Malaysia and it is very rare to receive consistently good service. At The Datai it was consistent and great. The staff at the Beach Club, the thai restaurant, the bar on the ocean and in reception were incredible. Friendly, helpful and they always made sure I had everything I needed. Inna in particular was super helpful and was a great person to show me the ropes in my Villa and in the resort.

I loved having a drink at the end of the day at the bar right on the beach where I could watch the ocean and the sunset, read my book and enjoy my drink. The best part for me, as an animal lover, was the first afternoon when around 30 dusky leaf monkeys decided to visit. They were bouncing around in the trees and using the roof of my villa as a launch pad. Watching them eat leaves and groom each other was fantastic - I spent a very pleasant hour watching them. Incredible and right on my balcony and at my front door!

The Spa is really good and worth spending some time in - very relaxing and great staff. It is right on the small river that runs through. Gorgeous setting and beautiful treatments.

This is a really quiet, friendly, out of the way place with fantastic service, a great beach, beautiful food and a lovely forest. I am sure there are more services and facilities that I didn't take advantage of being there such a short time but what I did experience was so far, unsurpassed, for Malaysia. If you want to relax and enjoy great food and service you really can't go past this.

I really hope I get a chance to go back and for much longer next time!

Room Tip: Loved the Villa I was in - number 33. 3 minutes walk from the ocean but definitely needs a buggy to...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

The Datai is definitely our new favorite beach resort and we'll definitely be back. Being a fan of beach resorts around Asia, we've always found each destination to be a compromise between either luxurious services and hotel infrastructure or the beach. The Datai has it all. Warm hospitality, beautiful rustic settings, good food and a beautiful beachfront. We are a big fan of the Four Seasons hospitality and have stayed at the Four Seasons Langkawi. Comparing the 2 resorts, I would have the say that service levels and food are comparabe for both. Infrastructure wise, the Four Seasons has an edge in luxury whilst the Datai has a more rustic feel but where the Datai is a win for us and will continue to bring us back is the beautiful beach front and jungle surroundings which far surpass that of the Four Seasons.

We were also pleasantly surprised at how family friendly the Datai was. The staff was simply wonderful to our 2 young kids below age 10. Location though is more remote than the other locations but the idea really is to relax and lose yourself within the resort.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The Datai is an older resort but is absolutely fabulous. The location is perfect for a get away and relax break. Yes it is out of town by 40 mins but if you are wanting action packed this is probably not for you. It is set in the middle of a rain forest and apart from cicadas, squirrels, monkeys it is fairly quiet. When we went they were refurbishing some of the villas but work finished by 5 and it was not too intrusive.
The beach is beautiful with white sands and very warm water. The kids pool located at the beach is also lovely. When we were there it was not very busy and the kids were all very well behaved. Service down at the beach ( food, drinks) was great. Prices were not too bad either.
We had booked the Romance package which included 2 hr massage for 2 ( recommended) and a romantic dinner on the beach. The setting was perfect and our personal butler, Francis, was great not too intrusive but friendly. Unfortunately we were rained off ( well you get that in the rain forest!) and had to move to the beach restaurant.
Plenty of monkeys to watch and wild life to seek out if you want to. We did a morning guided tour which was great
So yes it was on the more expensive side but definitely worth going.
The only complaint we had was the iPod in our room did not work and although we requested someone come to fix it that never happened. Apart from that the service was superb, people very friendly, resort very comfortable.

Room Tip: There are individual villas scattered around which would be great for families We had a corner suit...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I have often worried that a luxury hotel in another country is not going to be luxury as you know it; it's very difficult, because none of us know who is reviewing the hotels - what is luxury to somebody else might be distinctly average to other people.

This REALLY is luxury. It would stand up with any 5 star European or American hotel. The rooms are beautiful, spotless and incredibly comfortable; the staff are unfailingly helpful and delightful, without being obtrusive at all, and the property itself is amazing - somehow managing to be in the middle of the rainforest but with no nasty crawlies everywhere and also on the beach - there are golf buggies to take you down there, or you can have a healthy 20 minute walk down through the greenery!

On my first day (and I'm writing this on day 3 of 9, because I am so impressed) I had a spa treatment that I somehow managed to sleep through, and felt amazing afterwards. I'm planning several more, and intend to return to work a completely new person.

There is absolutely nothing so far that I haven't found to be exceptional. I am not easily impressed - this is a stunning hotel!

Room Tip: My room is 303; it's a beautiful room, but a little exposed if people are up getting towels at t...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

Sitting at Langkawi airport, unfortunately waiting for our return flight.

We had an outstanding week at this wonderful hotel, no wonder it has won so many accolades. The staff from the new GM down to the gardner could not do enough to please (a special note of appreciation for Tony at breakfast and the beach bar, he was a star and should be commended for his friendliness and attention to detail).

My family and I thought that the food was the best we have had in any vacation hotel (and we're reasonably well travelled). Special note for the Gulai House, our favourite of the three restaurants, offering traditional Malay food. Large portions, to get through three courses would be a challenge!

There is a bit of necessary renovation work going on at the moment so ensure that your accommodation is not next door to 'work in progress.' Unfortunately we only found out we were, on the second day, but a quick call to the front desk and we were immediately moved to an even better suite at no extra cost.

This is not a cheap hotel, but it is excellent value when you consider the very high level of quality offered to its guests.

We will be returning and look forward to our next visit.
James, Sarah, Tom, and Izzi

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Ascot
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed here for six nights towards the end of June and having visited over 200 places in the World, the Datai is without doubt one of the best hotels we have stayed at. Their minute attention to detail is incomparable from giving you a stylish large bag to take your stuff in to the beach and even down to putting a small sachet of washing powder in your toiletry items in the bathroom.

Like most good hotels the staff are brilliant but again just seem to be that little bit extra special. I must mention Inna the guest relations manager who was extremely helpful on a number of occasions. We spoke to her six months previously when we walked to the Datai along the beach from the Andaman, where we were staying which is the other hotel in the bay,. She was very helpful then, showing us around the hotel and one of the rooms as were other staff members.

The restaurants serve almost Michelin Star quality food and as big foodies, my hobby is cooking, I had a great time at the Malaysian cookery class run by the head chef in the Gulai House restaurant.

If you stay at the Datai, you must go on the morning and evening nature walks. These are run by the naturalist Irshad Mobarak who is not only very knowledgable about the flora, fauna and wildlife but is very passionate about his specialist subject. He draws you in, regaling tales and stories about the local nature and wildlife, facts about trees, plants etc. and is a bit like Sir David Attenborough in that respect. Not to be missed.

Finally a big thank you to all the staff at the Datai, too many names to mention here and we look forward to returning here again in Feb/Mar 2015.

Ken Strain
P.S. Almost forgot, the beach is great being in a large bay with just the Andaman hotel next door. Golden sands and trees to rest under in the shade with staff popping by to see if you need anything every now and then. 10/10 for the Datai

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Datai Langkawi? Share your experiences!