“Heaven of Earth, Paradise, Eden etc etc” 5 of 5 stars

The Datai Langkawi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Teluk Datai, Langkawi 07000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #3 of 100 Hotels in Langkawi
Derby, United Kingdom
“Heaven of Earth, Paradise, Eden etc etc”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My husband and I spent 2 weeks at the Datai Langkawi and enjoyed every second. The hotel is set in a stunning location surrounded by rainforest and a beautiful beach with views out to sea that are second to none. The hotel maintain the beach remarkably by cleaning it every day, the cleanliness of the public areas is superb, and our villa was kept impeccable throughout our stay. We booked into a rainforest villa which is well worth the money, it's designed perfectly to match it's environment and we saw many creatures whilst enjoying a drink on our balcony. The room was cleaned thoroughly and the turn down service at night was lovely, each day we had fresh fruit and every evening homemade chocolates, I like the fact that soft drinks in the fridge are free (alcohol is at a charge) and that there is tea and coffee facilities. A torch and umbrellas are provided, the hotel lighting along the pathways at night is quite dim, but I liked this as I think it benefits the nature of the hotel, harsh lights would spoil the ambiance of the whole place, as mentioned you have a torch and you get whizzed around in buggies if you do not want to walk. Special touches that meant alot to us were: whilst sunbathing you get bought cold flannels, iced water, pots of ice cream and in the afternoon a shot of the day's cocktail, when eating in the evening in any of the restaurants you get bought little tasters that are just delicious. We ate in every restaurant during our stay and not once did we have a bad meal in fact in every place we were made to feel special and so very welcome and the food is superb. We saw many creatures here, including, 2 types of monkeys, wild boar, flying squirrel, hornbills, kingfishers, monitor lizards, 100's of gecko's, and probably a lot more that I've forgotten to mention. Finally the staff at the Datai are truly amazing, my husband and I have been lucky enough to travel to a number of places but only here did we experience friendliness and professionalism from every single member of staff, from Inna who checked us in, to Franis and Adam who served us at the beach bar, not forgetting Yoki and Shaiful who served us so well at breakfast and in the evenings, in fact the list of names could go on and on because as I said all the staff there were simply wonderful. I truly cannot wait for my next visit, thank you Datai!!!!!

Room Tip: The rainforest villa's are amazing!!!! Lots of opportunities for creature spotting and they are...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Klang, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Beautiful quiet hotel.
Far away from everything....
But expensive transfers to hotel from airport. The normal taxi is RM60, but the hotel charges RM250 for theirs. Cheaper to book taxis yourselves at the airport.
Also, quite petty with rooms rates over RM1000 a night and they still charges for snacks even though they dont put a price list and tells you complimentary something.

Service is very good especially with the waiter Tony. He is a natural. gifted mr hospitable.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Together with my fiance, we had the privilege to spend 3 days 2 nights at The Datai Langkawi to celebrate a friend's 25th wedding anniversary. We were given the Deluxe Room category and it was more than satisfactory.

Due to the high occupancy, we were unable to check in at the stipulated time but we were more than happy to have lunch at the Dining Room. This was our first encounter with Shaiful & Inder, who were amazing F&B assistants manning the fort of the restaurant. Throughout the 3 days that we were there, their service was consistent and I could not find any fault with them. My personal recommendation to Shaiful for a job well done as his service with the rest of the guest was also superb. I would recommend their beef cheeseburger for those with a big appetite like me.

The room was amazing and the bed is fantastic. The size is more than enough and the quality of linens used is of standard. However, the only fault I could find is that the pillows were too soft but that is just personal preference.

Throughout the 3 days, we were treated to an array of experiences, dining at the Gulai House & Beach Club, wedding on the beach and dinner around the swimming pool. All in all, I must commend that the consistency in quality of food produce is what makes this hotel stand out from the rest. A superb shoutout to Tony and his team in making every experience an unforgettable one for the whole entourage and myself.

Lastly, I would like to thank Ewan, the front desk assistant who went all out in his service for our group. Due to last minute delay in our flight, he was able to accommodate us for a late check out and arrange all transportation services. The hotel is fortunate to have a person like that representing their establishment especially in the front of the house. The overall experience of this trip is fantastic and I would highly recommend it to those who are looking to have a special occasion, wedding or just want to be pampered.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights for business conference. 1 night at the deluxe room (main block) and 3 nights at the Villa.

I love taking buggy from Villa to the main lobby in the morning. Buggy service is efficient.

As the organizer, I would say the hospitality given by the hotel was superb.

Room was spacious, comfortable bed & clean bathroom. The bathroom was spacious too!

Datai surrounded by amazing rain forest and awesome private beach. Suits for private picnic as well.

Would definitely recommend for business & couples.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

This is justifiably a 5 star resort.....easy check-in, great beds, delicious food, wonderful staff, spacious rooms. Their gym is well equipped and the spa provides all the massages and beauty treatments you would expect. The hot stone massage was worth every Ringit and I thoroughly recommend it.
I think we were in a premium room (the 'ball n chain' booked it) as we were attending a wedding and it opened to a balcony, which was very small but overlooked the pool.
A couple of very notable negatives to this 5 star resort as I sit here, poolside, writing this review. The pool nearest the hotel rooms and lobby is a Brat Free area, which is excellent. Adults only. No screaming kids and dopey parents to endure. However, spotting a waiter poolside is as rare as spotting a white rhino with six testicles. When you are in an expensive 5 star resort there is an expectation that a waiter will appear when your glass is empty. Not at the Datai! On the rare occasion when a waiter does appear there is a frenzy of raised arms and general excitement that a refreshing drink could be on the way. Having said that, my last two White Russians were complimentary having ordered six earlier ones.
Secondly, the beach is a long way away from the main rooms. The walk back from the beach is even more painful. It is at least half a kilometre to walk to the beach. The walk back also involves going up 170 steps to get to the main rooms. Olympic athletes would have no problem with the walk back but for the majority of us oxygen masks should be mandatory and you are on hands and knees by the time you get to the top. Chauffeur driven golf buggy's are available to take you back and forth from the beach, which I discovered on my last day. On the upside, I lost 1kg in weight.

Room Tip: Even the basic rooms are good. Ask for a room closest to the breakfast restaurant and brat free pool...
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

The Datai is a gorgeous resort located in the middle of a lush jungle by the beach. The staff at the resort was extremely friendly and went through great lengths to make our stay a very pleasant experience; we were vey well looked after. The food is great, particularly the Gulai House which serves one of the best curries in a great setting in the middle of the jungle. The only critique I have is that some rubbish got swept to the beach when the tide was coming in (not all the time) and the resort is a bit remote, but the gorgeous pool and surroundings of the resort compensate for that. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Fantastic 5 star hotel in Langkawi, the moment I stepped out of my cab I was met by the host who knew my name, check in was hassle free after a 13 hour flight just needed to relax.

Room was spacious, comfortable bed and good sized bathroom. To my surprise the minibar included free soft drinks as usually 5 star hotels try to rip you for every penny.

Breakfast was great could have done with few more options, saying that I loved lazing by the beach where they offered cold towels, water and ice cream.

The beach is fantastic great sandy beach with stunning views with a beautiful backdrop of the rainforest.
The town is a good 40 min drive away.

Definitely a magnificent hotel would go back.

Stayed May 2014

Been to The Datai Langkawi? Share your experiences!