“Great place for a long WE to relax” 4 of 5 stars

You added The Datai Langkawi to your Saves list
The Datai Langkawi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Teluk Datai, Langkawi 07000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #3 of 98 hotels in Langkawi
“Great place for a long WE to relax”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I came to Datai wiht my family for a long WE from Singapore, we stayed in a villa. Room was very big and nice, wiht oversized bathroom. The resort is quite big and it took us 5-10 min to walk to the beach and main hotel lobby, but was easy to call a golf buggy if needed. We really liked to pool next to the beach and the beach that is very nice and almost empty. Breafast was very good, we tried also Thai and Indian restaurant which were also nice. Datai is about 45 min from airport and little bit isolated so not the best place if you want to visit the island but very good place if you want to stay somewhere very nice to relax.
The only criticisim I would have is that the service can be further improved given the category of the hotel (it is not bad, but not wihtout faults).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerTD, General Manager at The Datai Langkawi, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on The Datai.

We value your feedback on service and hope that on your next visit, the bar would have been significantly raised. We pride ourselves on the highest standards of service and hope that this will be reflected in your next stay with us.

Thank you for visiting us and we do hope to receive you again soon.

1,178 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
hk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

In general, my view is good, but there were a few hiccups.
Check in was a smooth process, but the staff member checking us in was difficult to understand with his heavy accent. I've lived in Asia for 6 years so I'm accustomed to various levels of English, but I had a hard time understanding him.
Upon Checkin we were told that the room had limited power, no air conditioning and no wifi. Since I didnt clearly understand what was being said, I didn't realize the full extent of this until I walked into the room.
Room was dimly lit, only the fan was on and amenities like wifi, tv, etc were really not working. Considering how hot and humid this area is, this is far from ideal.
I was surprised that there was no previous mention or alert of these issues as I would have reconsidered the booking or at least prepped in advance.

It was also disappointing to see that management, specifically the General Manager, did not issue any apologies or provide some complimentary services. I've received far more for much less inconveniences.

With that blip aside, on to the rest.

The location is amazing and the pictures don't do it justice. The walk from the main lobby down to the beach is an experience itself.

The beach is beautiful, very private and extremely clean.

The food was a bit hit or miss. The beach club had your standard fare, but nothing really stuck out. The drinks were average.

The thai pavilion restaurant was your standard thai restaurant. Food was generally good, but it was a bit pricy and portions small. I'm not sure why they have a thai restaurant here anyway, I was looking for more Malaysian options.

Guilai Indo/Malay restaurant was great and in the jungle itself. Lovely setting and dinner was fantastic with great service.

Breakfast was good with some local options changing everyday. Not a huge selection, but good enough and very good staff.

So all in all, I would still give this a good rating, but the issues with wifi and electricity soured my experience, and insult to injury was the lack of apology from management.

The location is unmatched and hard to beat. Ideal for couples or friends, but not with kids. I wasn't travelling with kids so it was nice to not see many around. But if you're travelling with a family, this isn't the place

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

The three of us stayed for five nights between 11 and 16 May in an End Suite. From the moment you book the resort over the internet you can feel the finest service. We asked for an extra bed at the time of booking, the resort confirmed everything the day before we arrived. Upon arrival in Langkawi we were greeted by one of their staff who then led us to an already-waiting Mercedes. They put our bags in and took us on this very pleasant ride to the hotel. There were cold towels and bottled water for each of the passengers.

Upon arrival at the resort we were greeted by one of their staff who led us to the Pool Bar/Lounge (I think they call it that) and were asked for our passports. They then gave us drinks and five minutes later asked for a credit card to be put on file and for us to sign a few papers. No hassle at all and after that to the suite we go and what a view that is! The suite is cozy and large, there is EVERYTHING in the suite, literally EVERYTHING you can think of - music, movies, table games, fresh fruit (renewed daily), some chef-made snacks brought daily as well, a private balcony, everything everything everything you may need or want.

The resort has two bars and four restaurants (although one of the restaurants was only being used for breakfast at the time). The food as amazing, the service very courteous and pleasant. The buggies take you whenever and wherever you need to go. The food at the Gulai House is something else! There are plenty of relaxing activities on the resort as well as many others the resort can book for you (scuba diving, mangrove tours, etc). The staff understand English fine and can communicate with you freely (i.e. no language barrier)

The overall setting of the resort is in the middle of a jungle with plenty of wildlife (both big and small) wandering around, the view and feeling of the resort is incredibly tranquil and natural.

Oh and last but not least - The Spa. I have never had a spa treatment in an open-plan room, and I've gotta say the setup really brings you closer to nature. During my treatment I honestly thought I was gonna pass out, the masseuses are very well-trained and are incredible professional and thorough.

Generally, I would rank this resort the best I have ever been to, and I have been to some very nice places like Four Seasons Langkawi - The Datai Langkawi just sets the mark for the rest of them!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Firstly, allow me to thank you for taking the time to write a review on The Datai. Secondly, allow me to thank you for a wonderful account of your stay with us.

The team and I are extremely proud that you have enjoyed the full Datai treatment from beginning to end.

It is our sincere hope to receive you and your family again soon. Thank you for your kind support.
Pwllheli, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We spent 10 nights at this luxury resort.... Absolutely stunning. Two pools (one adults only) and the other for anyone. The Andaman sea was warm and inviting with a private sandy beach stretching for miles either side of the hotel.
Ours was a pool villa with a private plunge pool in the rainforest.... Awesome.
The three restaurants we went to were top class....you have to try the soft crab starter at the Gulai... Delicious! The Gulai offered Malaysian and Indian cuisine while the Pavilion offered Thai.
Our favourite, however was the Beach Restaurant.....excellent food...with Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc offered as the Sommelier's choice....WOW!
The waiters were very friendly and attentive...we had a lot of fun with them.
Some of the guests were a bit aloof and unfriendly, but that's not the hotel's fault.
We have decided to go back to this hotel again.....

Room Tip: Choose a pool villa..as we did....intimate, private and in the rainforest..you can see monkeys while...
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your glowing review of The Datai, we could not be happier that you and your partner thoroughly enjoyed your stay in the Pool Villas.

We are also pleased that you enjoyed the food and wine. Excellence in service and quality is something we hold in high regard and we're happy that it has been reflected in your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again on the property soon.

Thank you.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Unusually for me, I could not find fault with this place. A couple of things to note for the more picky among us:

- it is a looooong way from the airport, and everything else. Not that you will ever want to leave the resort!

- the rooms do not seem to be properly airconditioned, only with fans. Also the patio doors do not perfectly seal so there is some risk of bugs sneaking in, but we never noticed any.

- the hotel is in the rainforest, so there are critters everywhere - monkeys, frogs, geckos, insects, etc. Definitely worth going on one of the free tours with the nature guide, he is excellent and very entertaining. This is the first hotel I have seen with a pair of binoculars in the room, very good quality ones I might add, which is useful for looking at the wildlife (and also finding out where my boyfriend has swum off to!)

- if you are in the main hotel building, the rooms are a loooooong way from the beach down a very steep hill. The hotel has plenty of buggies to get you around though, if you are too lazy or unfit to manage the walk, otherwise you do rather need to think ahead if you are going to spend the whole day on the beach!

- our room was right next to the reception. For some reason they have decided to have evening entertainment of people playing bad covers of 80s music, which is neither necessary nor fitting in with the culture of the area. Unfortunately we could hear this when we were trying to sleep in our room, but it wasn't too loud so it was ok.

- like the Aman Sveti Stefan in Montenegro, which I would not recommend to anyone except Russian oligarchs and their girlfriends, the Datai seem to have cottoned on to the fact that guests can't stock up on toiletries if they put them in reusable ceramic jars. Fair enough, I say, except that when you're getting a shower you're going to be a bit afraid of the jar slipping out of your wet hands and onto the floor and breaking so you can step on it. Also how on earth you're supposed to get a shower and get the shampoo out of the jar while holding onto the ceramic stopper and not getting water into the jar at the same time is a bit of a mystery.

Despite these minor things, if it wasn't 11,000 km from London I would gladly go back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerTD, General Manager at The Datai Langkawi, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your in depth review of The Datai. We really appreciate it.

As you may know, we are celebrating our 20th Anniversary this year and as such will begin some necessary refurbishments of the rooms and villas which will include updating the air conditioning services. We will also be updating the toiletries in the rooms so on your next trip out, you will be pleased to see something a little more fresh and new.

We are very glad that you enjoyed the complimentary tour as well as the abundance of wildlife on the property, it is part of the charm of The Datai and one we hold in very high regard.

Despite the distance between London and Langkawi, we sincerely hope to see you back again at The Datai.

Thank you once again.
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

My first to Langkawi, and it was a great experience. Nicely set in a rain forest, 'The Datai' is a unique property, very refreshing, authentic, and luxurious. They have a lovely beach, nice walkways, and a very welcoming reception area. The services were above average, very detailed and prompt. The staff was very friendly and prompt. a must for people seeking a relaxed holiday in the lap of nature.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the Villas as they give you a real feeling of staying in the rain forest. Take the be...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your first review on the island of Langkawi. We hope that your every expectation was met and surpassed.

Thank you for complimenting not only the property but the staff and service as well, we truly appreciate this and hope each guest of ours at the property feels the same.

We look forward to your return to your new home in the rainforest.
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I was spoilt by my husband and taken here for our honeymoon in 2010. I loved every single second we were here, from the moment we arrived, were greeted with welcome drinks on the patio overlooking the rainforest, through to when we left - it was sad times. We will definately go back.

Everything about The Datai is magical. There is definately something to be said about staying in an ancient rainforest and removed from the world.
The seafood buffet is to die for. Probably the best seafood I've had in my life! Everything at the hotel as you would expect is super duper expensive, but tasty and amazing. YOu get what you pay for. We found it was fun to venture out and find food and explore - but a little challenging as the location is totally remote and ages from most restaurants. You can hire a driver though - I recommend this.
The swimming pools are divine, and great poolside set up.
Staff - as you would expect are friendly and helpful.
You really are residing amongst nature - monkeys, lizards, butterflies...even spotted a mini wild pig!!
It has a private beach. WOW!
If you want to spoil your loved one - and I say this as the place is super romantic then you really must go here.

WE WILL BE BACK ONE DAY!!

Dear Valued Guest,

We are thrilled to hear that you have returned once more to your home in the rainforest.

It gives us great pleasure to hear that you and your partner had a great time at the resort and enjoyed the cuisine at our dining outlets. The F&B team will be delighted to hear this.

We sincerely look forward to your return and hope that all future trips to The Datai will be even more magical than the last.

Been to The Datai Langkawi? Share your experiences!