“What a disappointment” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 96 Hotels in Langkawi
Hong Kong
“What a disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2007

Being regular guests for weekend breaks at the Westin Macao and having stayed a number of times at the Westin Shanghai we arrived in Langkawi with big expectations - how disappointed we were when we left...
First the positive feed back. The rooms and the bathrooms are wonderful and the food is great. The pools are nice (the shades are not, more about that later) and the view unbeatable.
When it comes to service, management and utilization of fascilities we were at times shocked.
After check in we were told to go "over there" to find our room and left to fend for ourselves. As the hotel has 4 different blocks with 4 floors each (which of course we did not know) we didn't even manage to find the lifts. We duly went back to the reception to ask for help and maybe someone to show us the way to the room - only to be pointed "over there" again. We asked a guest we met in block 3 and he helped us figuring out where the lift was and which floor we have to go to. After finally finding the room the luggage arrived - the wrong luggage, it did not even have our room number written on the tag.
Reading beforehand on the website that there are Yoga lessons I called to sign up and booked the morning Yoga at 8:30am. Reception told me to be at 8:30 at the fitness center, fitness center told me to be at 8:30 at the jetty. I arrived at the jetty to find it unbelievable filthy - bits of food from the night before was strewn allover the floor area (the jetty is used for special dining events in the evenings). It has not been cleaned from the evening before. Meanwhile the Yoga instructor waited for me at the lobby... We managed to meet after all and the lesson was held outside the Spa instead.
I tried to get a Spa treatment list at the reception and was told to go to the Spa to get it. At the Spa I was told that they have only have one copy. Back at the reception I complained about the whole Yoga issue as well as about the failure to obtain any list only to be told "We only opened 2 months ago, the list has not come yet from the printer". Considering that this is supposed to be a 5 star hotel I could not believe what I heard - they have a business center which is equipped with a copy machine among other things.
My husband went to the Spa and came back more stressed than he was before. He choose one of the packages which is supposed to be 150min long ending with a scalp and neck massage. After less than 120min he was told - coming out of a hot bath - finished, you can go and was given his clothes. The massage to cool and relax him was skipped and he was told to leave.
All that happened within the first 24 hours of our stay. My husband then wrote a letter of complaint and we met one of the managers. He was not pleased to hear what we told him and the Spa treatment was not billed - not surprisingly my husband had no desire to go back to the Spa.
The next day we left the room at 9:30am. Coming back at 3:00pm it was still not cleaned. The last thing you want after a day of Yoga, beach and exercise is not to have even one clean towel in the bath room. We cleaned up ourselves and ordered fresh towels from housekeeping.
A warning about the parasols. One our first day we stayed near the rock pool/beach area under one of the thatch covered parasols. The next day we stayed at the area of the infinity pool under one of the fabric covered shades and got both badly burned at face, shoulders and chest. I remember thinking that it was strange seeing the position of the sun through the fabric of the parasol (thin and loosely woven) - I should have run...
Frankly speaking I don't think that service and management deserve 5 stars, neither do they deserve the name Westin. Staff and management are not active, they are re-active at best and mostly only "complaint" active. We asked our travel agent not to recommend the Westin Langkawi in the future.

• Liked — rooms, food
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2007

Love the modern style of the hotel. The bar is beautiful. The views are amazing (worth getting a room with a view) but the gardens still need to grow. Beach is not that good as others have said. Seems like the hotel likes maximize its profit every chance it gets (eg. charging for drinking water, charging for internet in the lobby, charging for hire of bikes, kyak, crazy spa prices). Overall, I found this hotel poor value for money. I think similar hotels in Thailand (eg. Phuket, Krabi or Khao Lak) are better and have nicer beaches, yet are much cheaper.

• Stayed February 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa

Address: Jalan Pantai Dato Syed Omar, Langkawi 07000, Malaysia
Location: Malaysia > Kedah > Langkawi District > Langkawi
Bar / Lounge Beach Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Parking Children Activities ( Kid / Family Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#2 Top resorts Hotel in Langkawi
#7 On the Beach Hotel in Langkawi
#8 Luxury Hotel in Langkawi
Hotel Class:5 star — The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa 5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood APAC, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Despegar.com, Ctrip TA, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Westin Langkawi Hotel Langkawi
The Westin Langkawi Resort And Spa
Westin Langkawi Resort
Westin Langkawi Hotel
Langkawi Westin

If you own or manage The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.