“Fabulous views, fabulous hotel” 5 of 5 stars

You added The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan Pantai Dato Syed Omar, Langkawi 07000, Malaysia   |
Special Price
Stay 3 Pay 2 (FREE NIGHT)
Ranked #9 of 100 Hotels in Langkawi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sheffield
“Fabulous views, fabulous hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

We stayed at the Westin for ten nights after spending three nights in Kuala Lumpur. This hotel was quite simply just rest and relaxation. When we booked we were told we had an upgrade to a garden view room but were over the moon to find we had been upgraded to a partial ocean view room on a high floor with fantastic views of the sunset each evening from our balcony ( and not sure where the "partial" came in!) The hotel has recently been refurbished and our room was extremely spacious, with modern white furnishings, a bed which could have slept four people!! And was so comfortable. We received complimentary water every day and our room attendant Haniati was brilliant and very friendly, even stopping for a chat when she noticed us in the local night market when she had a day off! Every member of staff was extremely helpful but I must make a special mention of Faiz Ashfaq, who is a trainee at the hotel and was particularly helpful to us during our stay - we wish him well in his future career - we are sure he will do well. The in room dining was delicious and we also dined at Tide and sampled snacks round the pool, all of which were delightful, if a little expensive - but it is a five star hotel so we expect the prices not to be cheap. The location of this hotel with its views over the andaman Sea and other islands of Langkawi was second to none and more than lived up to our expectations. Thank you Westin.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear richarl,

Thank you very much for your excellent review. I am delighted you have enjoyed our newly refurbished Premium Partial Ocean View Room. I would say that the views from these rooms make for an extra special stay. Thank you for mentioning our friendly associates; they are the most valuable asset of our resort. I am pleased to know that your dining expectations were met and I am sure the chefs are pleased to know that as well. It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed our peaceful location. I am always proud to agree on the beauty of the resort, wonderful panoramic views of the Andaman Sea, surrounding islands and the endless stretch of the blue sky. I hope that we may have another opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Michael Schlueter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

We had booked for 10 days, but only stayed 8, as we island hopped over to koh lipe ( would totally recommend )

The hotel is lovely, it's what you wouldn't expect for a 5 star resort, clean and efficient,

Out room was 2404, great views and very specious for a family of four! Very comfortable beds & bedding's The bathroom facilities are great also
The only negative comment I can make is that the noise from the breeze bar at night is a little to loud and that the singers pro-forming are terrible .

The staff are all very friendly, especially the breakfast chef ( from northern island ) .

The pool & beach areas are lovely and well kept, it's also a nice touch you have a cold water dispenser near the rock pool, if I can make a small recommendation is that you could have one near all the pools,

We booked the mangrove tour through the hotel and it was the best tour we have done as a family in a long time, would highly recommend it to anyone.

We would defiantly stay again .

Stayed January 2014
Dear Tammyjohnston84,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I appreciate your positive comments about lovely hotel and clean environment. It is great to know you have enjoyed our comfortable room and Westin Heavenly Bed, which is enveloped in crisp layers of pure cotton bedding and abundant pillows to ensure a blissful night’s sleep. I very much regret that your stay was disrupted by the loud music from the Breeze lounge; I have addressed this with my team to improve it immediately. Thank you for recognizing the quality service performed by our friendly and helpful associates. I have taken note on your suggestion to have water dispenser close to pool areas and will review the possibility with my team. My team and I are really grateful for your comments and we look forward to your return.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

The hotel is a very high standard Westin, with a beautiful outlook across a bay giving out to the Andaman Sea. It’s about a 5-10 min taxi drive from the nearest town, where the local ferry terminal is located. The hotel is attractively designed, with classical Malaysian line to the central building. The rooms and villas are off as wings to this and encompass the grounds. The main pool is of a decent size and has a swim up bar. The kids pool is exactly that - sufficiently shallow to allow them to play freely, splashing around in the fountains. The rock pool is great. Though beautiful to look at from afar, the beach is not that great. The sand is very coarse (not much good for sandcastles, Dads!) intermixed with a high proportion of broken sea shells - tough on both the feet and knees. The slightly better sand is directly opposite the private villas. To note, the sea state can change very quickly from calm to strong waves, depending upon the state of the tide to the wind - so parents need to be extra vigilant.

When we stayed here, we had 2 adjoining rooms for a family of 4. I'm a Platinum Life SPG but as the hotel was full, no upgrades were available, so (reasonably) we had the rooms we had reserved. That said, they generously allowed us to stay on late in one of the rooms. Both rooms were the standard Westin rooms. They were of an adequate size, but looking rather tired and with eccentric plumbing. Neither had a bath - fine for toddlers but not so good for babies.

The breakfast was good – but nothing out of the ordinary though for a "luxury" hotel - offering a reasonable choice of quality foods. The food in the restaurants was somewhat disappointing in terms of the choice offered - being primarily Western (presumably because that is what many of their guests want) with a limited choice of local food. There was some overlap between the 2 restaurants. Once ordered, the food was of a good quality and generous in size. The prices were the usual "aggressive" resort prices - unsurprising given the very limited competition in the town. Bar prices were comparable with those back home in Singapore - albeit with less choice. The children's menu was fairly priced but unimaginative in terms of variety versus some other resort hotels.

The staff were very friendly, helpful and efficient.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Angliskai,

Thank you very much for your comments. I agree with you that the location that our resort is located at provides a breathtaking and a very stunning view over the Andaman Sea. Our beach can be disappointing during low tide; unfortunately we were not blessed with the best beach on the island. Alternatively, resort features four unique pools option. I appreciate your feedback in regards to your dining experience which will help us improve on our service delivery to all guests. I am happy to hear that our associates were great, making you feel very well taken care of. It has been a great pleasure serving you and your family and we welcome you again in the near future.

Langkawi District, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went to Langkawi for 9 days as part of our honeymoon & we highly recommend staying at The Westin. It may feel like you're splurging but trust me it's worth it!

We love food so the breakfast buffet at the Seasonal Taste restaurant in the hotel was absolutely incredible! We'd have a big breakfast each day & not need to eat again until late afternoon.

The staff are so friendly & accommodating too which makes your time there relaxed & special. We lazed around the beautiful pools in the sun a lot sipping on piña coladas & other mocktails.

Overall, a beautiful, clean, friendly hotel to stay in that is in great range to attractions & food spots.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Katey L,

Thank you for having chosen The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa for your honeymoon and for recommending Westin as a brand to everyone. We receive a lot of nice comments about our SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast and I am happy to know that it was up to your standards too. Also, many thanks for highlighting our associates and their services. I trust that they performed the upmost best in providing hospitality to all our guests. I am glad to know that you have enjoyed yourself by the pool with a shot of mocktail. Your positive comment has definitely motivated us to perform better. It was a great pleasure to have you with us; my team and I are looking forward to welcome you for another rejuvenating stay with us.

Hanoi, Vietnam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Hi,

Been there for a week as part of a corporate meeting ......

Great location but the hotel could be so much better if the management was really doing its job....

The best rooms do have a view on the "beach" but the band playing every night at the Breeze bar is so loud that do not expect to sleep before midnight. It might not be a problem if they were good, but they are not!!

The staff is nice but again some management would help to get them more efficient. A smile is great but a coffee within 5mns after ordering would be so much better .....

Otherwise, good place .... food is good especially at tides for seafood or at breeze for the view ....

So, Mr manager .... get out of your office and look around. Am sure you'll be able to make this hotel ..... so much better.

Room Tip: Be careful some of my colleagues had a room opening on a WALL !!!! so make sure you can at least fac...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear gerarfg,

Thank you very much for your kind review. I am truly sorry for any inconveniences caused in regards to the noise disturbance from the Breeze lounge. I will ensure that we better handle your said issue immediately. Please be rest assured we will also provide additional training to our team to ensure they improve in their overall delivery of exemplary service standards. It is very kind of you to highlight our cuisine and I am pleased to know that your dining expectations were met. Once again I thank you for your feedback and I would take pleasure in welcoming you back for another occasion so that you could experience the resort as it was meant to be.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I would completely recommend any one to stay there.The staff are friendly
n helpful . They all can speak English as well as they are some English native speakers who work there.in addition ,it has a very good location.It lays on a very clean beach which all the views magnificent.More over, there is a professional tour desk that can offer you many different tourism programs and activities.In a sentence,It's simply the perfect place for honeymooners.I spent mine there.

Just choose the right time to go there, it's Malaysia which has a very rainy weather. Try to visit it during the dry season ..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sudgey,

Thank you very much for your recommendations to others. I am happy to hear that our associates were great. I appreciate a lot your positive feedback recognizing our superb location. I hope you had a wonderful honeymoon and we wish to welcome you again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Located close to ferry terminal but far enough away to avoid the chaos of that part of town.
Spectacular view over resort and beach to water and distant islands and coast.
Bed really comfortable and air conditioning and ceiling fans quiet and efficient.
Pools good and clean. Swim up bar a bonus with friendly barmen. Poolside drinks and food service could be far more proactive, good for guests and they would sell a lot more too.
Poolside evening buffet dinner and barbeque really good food, service and a great evening.
Ability to hire a car and a driver and car if needed from the hotel great and fun to go out and see the island (easy in a day)
Buffet breakfast really very good and run by a professional chef who keeps a close eye on things - well done.
Overall a great stay with outstanding views, good food.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Rossandmichelle,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I appreciate your highlighting on strategic location our resort is situated at. I am always proud to agree on the beauty of the resort and stunning scenery. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed our Heavenly Bed, one of our signature products. Thank you very much for highlighting our unique pools and Splash pool bar and for keep us in the loop in regards to the service from Splash poolside bar for further improvement. It is very kind of you to highlight our poolside BBQ dining experience. I am so pleased to know that your dining expectations were met and I hope you are mesmerized by the Malaysian cultural show too. I would also want to thank you for highlighting our signature SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast. It was a great pleasure to have you amongst our guests and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.

Michael Schlueter

Been to The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!