“Great for holidays, wonderful for weddings!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
How 'Suite' It Is!
Ranked #11 of 98 hotels in Langkawi
Singapore, Singapore
“Great for holidays, wonderful for weddings!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

As we had our wedding at the Westin Langkawi in March of 2013, I have had a lot of interaction with this hotel as well as Langkawi in general. To make this review more accessible, I’ve split it into three sections; the hotel, wedding and event planning, and staff. This may seem extensive, but I found it really difficult to find up to date information when planning our wedding and if I can help anybody out there in the same situation, I’d like to.

Hotel

While looking at properties to hold our wedding, we toured most of the 5 star hotels on Langkawi. The Westin is one of the nicer hotels on the island, being well situated near Kuah town for shopping and dining but in a separate bay from the town itself so that the beach area is very private. Other hotels on Langkawi may be more ‘private’, but are all long drives from any off-site activities. Further, the Westin is the only hotel on the bay so there is minimal boat traffic and no risk of parties from other hotels or on other beaches keeping you up at night.

The hotel has several classes of room, and with guests staying in almost every category of room we had the chance to experience most of them. The nicest room by far was the private villa, but it is really expensive. The other room classes were all very nice and what you would expect from a 5-star resort hotel anywhere in the world.

The grounds of the hotel are very well laid out, with several different pool areas including a quiet pool for adults and an excellent fun pool for children (my sister has 5 kids who never left this pool except for meals and the wedding). The beach area is well shaded and clean and the hotel has lots of watersports activities but we didn’t do any of these. The grounds of the hotel are large enough that it doesn’t feel crowded, even at full capacity, but small enough that you don’t need to wait for transportation to get from place to place (no golf carts!). All the meals we had at the hotel were spectacular, particularly our catered wedding reception.

Finally, the hotel also provides parking for guests. Having been to Langkawi several times, I would generally recommend hiring a car for your stay. You can negotiate a very reasonable price for a car on arrival at the airport (usually between USD 15 and 20 per day) and gas on the island is cheap and easy to find. Traffic on the island is negligible and a hire car will provide you the freedom to see and do whatever you like around Langkawi without having to haggle with drivers (and probably works out cheaper, depending on how often you want to get out of the hotel).

I’d also recommend taking one of the boat tours that go around to some of the other small islands near Langkawi if you have time. These tours are not too expensive and make for a really nice family or small group activity.

Room Tip: The deluxe garden rooms are the best value, as there's a sea view from the entire hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear youregoingwhere,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa as your dream wedding destination. I am very appreciative for your time and effort spend on writing us this wonderful review. Your satisfaction towards our services and facilities makes us feel very proud. My team and I congratulate both of you once again. I would say that our associate tries their utmost in creating a memorable and amazing wedding. My team and I are really grateful for your comments and we wish to welcome both of you again for one of your anniversaries or any other occasion.

1,720 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

On the final day of my 8- day stay. We are very impressed with this resort. The scenery and surroundings are beautiful and unsurpassed. Our rooms are newly refurbished and are impressive. Free hotel shuttle to nearby shopping centre if one wishes. Multitude of choice foods, all good quality and delicious. Beautiful health spa in tranquil beautiful surroundings that catered to adult and children.

This resort's standout attribute is its exceptional staff. No request is too much trouble , and dealt with promptly , diligently and patiently.

The reception staff, especially Mizuamar, Amanda and others, bent over backwards to help with difficult airline booking changes, SPG membership arrangements.

Front office manager, Mr Faizal Elias has won me over to Starwood with his patient assistance with future bookings with Starwood hotels and next trip to Langkawi island.

Meals at Seasonal Tastes restaurant, Tides restaurant and Breezes restaurant, be it breakfast, lunch or dinner, are not only tasty and of high quality, but also akin to going to a best friend's home for dinner or festivity, restaurant staff eg Mr Wijaya Mohd Nasir, Mr Effendy, Ms Emmy Zunarny, to name a few, made us feel like family / valued guests, remembering our nuances, preferences, with special meal suggestions that pleasantly surprised even seasoned travelers as my family.

The poolside and watersports staff made us very comfortable , and dealt with special requests with ingenuity .

We hope to come home again soon to the resort

• Stayed October 2013
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear RatatouilleKFP,

Thank you very much for writing this review about your stay with us. I do agree that the resort is beautifully located with the stunning scenery and I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed our newly refurbished rooms too. It is very kind of you to highlight our cuisine and I am so pleased to know that your dining expectations were met and I am sure the chefs are pleased to know that as well. I appreciate the highlight on our Heavenly Spa which allows everyone to enjoy some precious moment of serenity. Moreover, I am happy to hear that our associates were great, making you feel very well taken care of. Once again we thank you for your feedback and my team and I are looking forward to welcome you for another renewing stay with us.

mumbai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My stay at the Westin Langkawi was a descent experience.
The hotel had some promotional offers with Air Asia and looked very tempting from the website. After doing some primary research through the reviews of Trip Advisor, we booked this hotel.

The meet and greet at the hotel was quite nice and the staff is also very courteous. The rooms are spacious and clean, we had a partial view of the sea. The hotel has its own private beach, the water is not much clear, not advisable to swim.Good for a stroll...

The Breakfast spread was quite good but for all the 4 days, the same menu was repeated, which was a bit surprising from a star category hotel like Westin.

There are no good restaurant or eateries in the vicinity of the hotel, so either you have to travel or depend upon the buffet dinner at the hotel, so be ready to spend some more on the food.
There was quite a good variety for the Dinner, each day they served with different country cuisines.

One big complaint with the hotel is all the cutlery smelled of egg, even some of the dining areas would stink of a weird egg smell. It was conveyed to them and I hope some action is been taken.

Wifi is poor and available only in the lobby. No activities in/ near the hotel. The travel desk of the hotel is quite good. Good swimming pool overlooking the ocean and the restaurant breeze is one of the best places to be in the evening with some live music.

To sum up, the hotel is good if you are looking at a quiet getaway with your family.

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms are worth it!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear vid03,

Thank you for having chosen The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa during your trip to Langkawi Island. I am glad that you have enjoyed the arrival experience and I would like to thank you for your generous remarks regarding our friendly and attentive associates. I appreciate your positive comments about comfortable and clean Premium Partial Ocean View Room. As for the beach, the area here obviously not blessed with the best beach, but a stroll below the natural trees next to the beachfront, relaxes body and soul. Alternatively, resort features four unique pools option. And thank you very much for sharing your feedback in regards to your dining experience. Your comments are valuable to us as they allow us to learn from your experience. Moreover, I appreciate your comment about the internet; we will discuss further improvement closely with our service provider. On another note, I am delighted to know you were able to soak up the serene atmosphere from Breeze, a great place to unwind with signature martinis and live entertainment music performed by the resident band. It was a great pleasure to have you amongst our guests and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Bravo Westin Langkawi! yet again a fabulous holiday was had by our entire family. We stayed for 9 nights this time, believe it or not this is our second visit this year. From the GM's personal greeting on arrival to the customer service excellence we enjoyed throughout the entire stay, the human touch is like no other, and this is why we keep coming back. This time we stayed in a one bedroom Villa, which enhanced our stay even further. So many pool options, plenty of activities for everyone, my wife and daughter enjoyed the pampering at the spa, the health club is well catered, the beach, water sports, kids club options and the variety of world class cuisine on offer provides both a stimulating and relaxing experience at the same time . We love the new room designs and décor, this would be one of the best properties in Asia that just keeps on getting better, see you soon Westin Langkawi Team. Thanks again Michael, Nico, Antonio, Shalina , Iris and the fantastic Westin team!! The Duncan Family

Room Tip: All good options, I think the 2 bedroom room offers great value for money.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear Beau D,

Thank you very much for your loyalty to The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa. I am so pleased to hear you had an excellent stay with us and you love our newly refurbishment room. The finished look of refurbishment reflect a modern, contemporary resort product, showcasing the brand’s philosophy of Westin, For a Better You – and positioned as the benchmark for superior product quality on the island, ensuring that our guests indulge in a relaxing and rejuvenating Westin Journey. Furthermore, I appreciate a lot your positive feedback recognizing our customer service, resort facilities as well as cuisine. Your positive comment has definitely motivated us to perform better. It was a great pleasure to have you here with us, and we look forward to your return.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

I've just left this resort in near tears after a great relaxing and luxurious week there. The place is magnificent with unbelievable views.

I stayed in the villa which was suppose to be a partial sea view, it really brought partial to another level. Unless you could see around the villa in front of you this was a villa view villa. Nonetheless a lovely little villa althought there were hot water problems on two evenings. Very fresh, clean and well maintained facilities.

The only other negative was that there was a private party booked on one of the last nights which involved a DJ playing at the resorts beach. There was no prior notice until it had started which was a little annoying given that I never wanted a relaxing break in Las Vegas.

I raised this with the manager who was very apologetic and kind.

The spa is a must and is without doubt one if it's greatest assests along with the friendly and very helpful staff.

I really enjoyed my stay and hope to return.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear CiaranAbroad,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I am always proud to agree on the beauty of the resort, wonderful panoramic views of the Andaman Sea, surrounding islands and the endless stretch of the blue sky. On the other hand, I very much regret that your stay was disrupted by the noise from beach. I have taken note on the shortfalls you have mentioned and please rest assured that similar issues are not likely to happen again. Thank you for your positive endorsement for the award winning Heavenly Spa. I hope our experienced spa therapists have made you feel relaxed and rejuvenated. My team and I are looking forward to welcome you for another renewing stay with us.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

As a family, we stayed at the Westin for 5 days and found the resort a great haven for a relaxing holiday with a choice of swimming options and restaurants. We had an ocean view room which was lovely and the buffet breakfast is exceptional. The only thing that let the resort down was the wi-fi. This was frustratingly sporadic and unreliable making it difficult for us to recommend if you need to continue to manage business matters whilst on vacation.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear michgrif,

Thank you very much for writing this review. I am so glad to know that you have enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere here. I also appreciate your highlight on our swimming pools, F&B venues and room. As for the internet access, we will continuously work closely with our service provider to ensure that there is consistent connectivity at all times. Thanks for letting us know and we look forward to welcoming you for another rejuvenating holiday.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We just had a fantastic week at Westin Langkawi and would highly recommend to other families looking for a tropical getaway. A quick taxi ride from the airport and we were enjoying the beautiful beach views in 30 mins. The staff were really helpful, efficient and attentive from the moment we checked-in.
Adjoining rooms for the 5 of us, including 3 children under 11, were not available due to a large wedding group, but the management did their best to provide a great solution by giving an upgrade to a beachfront suite and adjoining room. Superb!
Breakfast buffet was a real highlight with huge variety to please even the most fussy eaters. We also enjoyed the seafood and Indian buffet nights. Enough choice on the various menus to keep it interesting. Pool bar was a lot of fun for our kids. Great to enjoy the view with a sunset cocktail from the Breeze bar. The bill at check-out was very reasonable.
There are also a couple of very decent restaurants in close proximity - Fishfarm, Wonderland and My Thai. The yacht club was good for a burger and sunset beers.The Westin is also an easy walk into the edge of town. The weekly night market was an eye opener for our kids.
Plenty of aquatic options with 3 pools to choose from. Our kids loved the "rockpool".
Only minor gripe would be that there could have been a few more organised activities for kids their age, but they still had enough to keep them amused. There was also a bit of building work but it didn't really detract from the experience.
A great hotel for anyone looking to chill out in a great climate.

Room Tip: Ocean view suite with a connecting room for our children was perfect. Plenty of space and very comfo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear nic06,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback and for your recommendations towards The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa. I am pleased to hear our associates provided warm and caring service which was up to your satisfaction. I receive a lot of nice comments about our SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast and I am happy to know that it was up to your standards. Thank you as well for highlighting our themed buffet dinner. Please rest assured that I have shared your suggestion with my team, we will review the possibility of add in extra activities for kids. It was a great pleasure to have you amongst our guests and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.

Michael Schlueter

Been to The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!