“A nice hotel, excellent spa” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
BOOK EARLY, STAY LONGER
Ranked #10 of 98 Hotels in Langkawi
London, United Kingdom
“A nice hotel, excellent spa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

The hotel is very well presented in terms of the public areas, and the pools and loungers are excellent as well as the poolside bar. Despite it being quite busy, you could always get a sun lounger and it never felt crowded. The food was good, with great views from the restaurant over the resort and the beach. The spa was great and definitely worth a visit, the treatments were of a high standard and it's nice to be taken there by golf buggy from reception so you're not out in the heat.
The room we stayed in hadn't yet been refurbished and was a little shabby in places and the air con wasn't working properly (we had to call out an engineer). Our friends had a refurbished room though which was of a really high standard so it'll be good once the whole resort has been upgraded to this standard - very modern and stylish.
We were surprised to see that room service leftover plates had been left in the corridor overnight - you would expect in a resort of this standard that these wouldn't be left for hours (with staff walking past and ignoring them!).
One thing worth pointing out is that pre-ordering a taxi does not seem to actually mean a taxi has been booked, so make sure you leave enough time to ask for a cab if you're going back to the airport!
Overall though, a relaxing stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear London_lass186338,

Thank you very much for writing this review about your stay with us. I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed our facilities. It is very kind of you to highlight our cuisine and I am so pleased to know that your dining expectations were met and I am sure the chefs are pleased to know that as well. Thank you also for your compliments about the award winning Heavenly Spa, a truly heavenly experience. On the other hand, I have taken note on some of the shortfalls you have mentioned and please rest assured that similar issues are not likely to happen again. We look forward to being your hotel of choice when your return in the future.

Michael Schlueter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed here 5 x nights and we loved the hotel and its facilities. We stayed in a garden view room which looked over the pool and was very convenient, but it was a bit of a walk to the lobby (but that didn't bother us as we preferred to be closer to the pool).

The room was gorgeous, modern and spacious with its own bath and terrace. The beds were comfy, and had every mod con we could of needed. The only thing that was missing, was a directory. We had to ask staff members what facilities were available and about food options and activities.

We had breakfast included in our package, and it was superb. There was so much to choose from, and if something wasn't there one morning, one of the many staff would make it up. It would be definitely hard to find a fault with breakfast, it was amazing!

Unfortunately, the same couldn't be said for dinner. We thought as a treat, we would stay at the hotel for the BBQ dinner. We were really looking forward to as the marketing said there would be 'freshly caught seafood, succulent meats'..... Well, I can tell you there was none of that, no seafood to speak of (there was fried frozen fish, if you count that as seafood) and the meats were just ok, there wasn't a lot to choose from and what was there was gross. The salads were good and there was a very good dessert range but compared to breakfast it was very average. For the price, we were expecting a lot more. It was by far the worst meal we had on the island.

The facilities at the hotel were great. The gym was really good, and had plenty of equipment and there were a lot of things to do. The pool which over looked the ocean, was amazing.... I could of looked out over the ocean all day.

The location of the hotel is a bit hit and miss, whilst the views are amazing its not close to anything so its probably best to hire a car. The main eating areas were about 20mins each way or $7 each way in a taxi.

Over all, this is fantastic hotel and the staff were great. The staff organised our tours, and went our of their way to make sure we were happy from the moment we booked until we checked out. They couldn't have done more to assist us. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear kaffa1,

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback on your recent stay and good to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I would like to thank you for complimenting our rooms, pools and resort facilities in general. We receive a lot of nice comments about our SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast and I’m happy to know that it was up to your standards. On the other hand, I’m sorry to hear that that our barbeque dinner did not meet your expectations and thus I have addressed this with our Executive Chef and will review and improve it immediately. I am happy to hear that our associates were great, making you feel very well taken care of. It was a great pleasure to have you amongst our guests and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.

london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

we stayed 10 nights here. The hotel is near Kuah town which in our opinion is not great for eating out in...... we did feel we might have been better choosing the cenang side as could have walked to restaurants there but the fact that the westin is so beautiful over took that. However it is advisable to explore as the hotel prices are expensive. The fact that Langkawi is duty free does however mean you can shop in the supermarket for drinks and have them back at the hotel..... saved alot with two children!!
overall a very nice hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear ams2900,

Thank you for your review. I have acknowledged your comments regarding our pricing and please rest assured that we monitor our prices on a regular basis. Meal prices in Kuah town are obviously much cheaper; however the dining experiences and service are also at a different level. It was a great pleasure serving you and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

The Westin is south of the island and in my opinion The Westin has the prettiest view of any other resort on the island. The rooms were very nice (we stayed in the renovated wing) and the pool amazing. Notable mentions to Azhan at the Splash Bar for making the BEST drinks and excellent service. Also Rajiv for the amazing food and bar choices and service at breakfast and dinner.
I highly recommend this place to anyone who wants to get away from the 9-5 hassle and be completely removed. Spend a week like we did and you will never want to leave.

Room Tip: Make sure you stay in the renovated section of the hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JMacOZ,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review of our resort. I have to agree with you on the beautiful views, spectacular location and stunning scenery, a real retreat for those wanting to escape the city life. I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed our newly refurbished rooms which reflect a modern, contemporary resort product, showcasing the brand's philosophy of Westin, For a Better You. It is always rewarding to know that you felt well taken care of; I will certainly compliment Azhan and Rajiv with your feedback as well as recognize their great work. We hope to see you again for another renewing stay.

Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed for 1 week.
Excellent check in and shown to our room with complimentry wine and nibbles, I think this was for Platinum Guests.
The staff are a credit to the Hotel chain, we found them to be extremely helpfull and pleasant with exception of our check out.
The pool area is very nice and the bar staff there very friendly serving great cocktails.
The spa was a wonderfull experience and well reccomended.
Breakfast is just fantastic, but no Pork products, im sure you can make this happen as a majority of your guests were non Muslim.Best of all though is the late breakfast untill 11:30 never felt the need to rush for breakfast...
Didnt feel the need to venture out for lunch or dinner so ate in the varoius restaurants which never dissapointed.
There is a bar with a live band 6 nights per week, I would reccomend 3-4 nights a week the other nights maybe soft back ground music, not easy to hear yourself speak. dont go for an early night if you are located near the reception.
All in all nice hotel but let down at check out, Couldnt be bothered to ask if I enjoyed my stay couldnt be bothered to ask me if i required a taxi, no bell boys, most of the staff/management were swapping pleasantries with another group of tourists who and I recall had most of the staff running around them for the two days i noticed them there....
I felt I had expired your alloted niceness and maybe it was all a front.........

SPG Platinum Member.

Room Tip: Stay away from the reception..
Dear trekkerclan,

Thank you very much for your loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts and for your valuable review. I am glad that you have enjoyed the arrival experience and I would like to thank you for your generous remarks regarding our friendly and attentive associates. I’d also like to thank you for the positive endorsement about our award winning Heavenly Spa, I hope our experienced spa therapists have made you feel relaxed and rejuvenated. I am so pleased to know that your dining expectations were met and I appreciate your positive comments about SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast and general food quality across our venues. I am sorry to hear that there were some lapses at check out. I have addressed this inconsistency with our front office team and will take the necessary action to improve continuously. It was a great pleasure to have you stay with us, and we look forward to your return.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Excellent view from swimming pool. Once you deep in the water you never want to come out from the pool anymore. We enjoy swimming at the pool and enjoy the food and drink at the pool bar. But unfortunately my friend found a short hair in her sandwich. We show the bartender and he told us just a hair and ask us want to change that slice of sandwich or the whole plate? We so disappoint with this staff and told him forget it. Then we return to our room we write a complaint latter and pass to the reception. Not more than 10 minute someone call to our room and apologize about the happen at the pool and asking us what they can do for us? Since already happen and the hotel already apologize then we just forgive him and never ask for anything. But next day when we enjoying our breakfast suddenly a guy name Eelco the F&B manager came to our table and say sorry to us again. And he explains to us what action they already taken for this happen! Wow! So many place we went but we never meet a F&B manager like that before! So professional!!! Really happy with their service!! And until today we still keep in touch with him, buy unfortunately he already transfer to Bali today!!! I'm sure visit him at Bali cause of the service!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear christgoh,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. No doubt that our infinity pool offers magnificent views of the Andaman Sea and the surrounding islands and I am so glad to know that you have enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere. It goes without saying that we had a strong word with the associate who delivered such an inappropriate service to you. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience. I am very pleased that things came around and that you were well taken care by Eelco and I always think that our associates are the most valuable asset of our resort. It would be a pleasure to at your service again soon.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The hotel's facilities were great. We enjoyed our stay thoroughly as the resort is peaceful (although it's during the peak period with a lot of guests) as it's surrounded with nature. We stayed in the Deluxe Room. The room is clean and cosy but what earned it brownie points was our balcony view and their luxurious Heavenly Bed.Our room was facing the resort's green landscape, water feature and the beautiful infinity pool. The staff was friendly and they greeted us wherever we went. Very attentive too especially the front desk reception and the concierge service. They made sure that we enjoyed our stay and always on their toes to serve us. The breakfast was good. No one can fault endless supply of fresh orange juice, pancakes & waffles. The only small setbacks are the beach and you have to pay for the Wi-Fi access. If you're looking for white sand and clear blue sea waters,this will not be the place for you as the sands are slightly dark brown in colour and after sunset, where the tides are low, the sands turned murky (like mud with a lot of shells). However, given that it's a private beach, you will expect a lot of peace and tranquility minus noisy kids. The view surrounding this resort is breathtaking with mountainous islands especially during sunset so you'll feel like you're enveloped by the mystical islands that Langkawi is known for.

Too bad our stay is only 1 night, for the next visit, we hope to try out the Heavenly Spa (a bit overpriced for our budget) and other facilities. Otherwise, we thank the Westin team for our great holiday.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Deluxe room. Although the Superior Room decor is really modern & chic (but it has onl...
Dear KimTan27,

Thank you very much for writing this review about your stay with us. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and reading about your personal experience has surely made me happy. The nature is a key element of the resort and while those moments are getting less and less in a fast-paced world, it is comforting to know that places like this still exist. I would like to thank you for highlighting our rooms, especially our Heavenly Bed, which definitely provides undisturbed sleep for a great night and an even better tomorrow. Thank you as well for highlighting our SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast and your generous remark regarding our friendly associates. As for the beach, I have to agree with you that our beach can be disappointing during low tide, unfortunately we were not blessed with the best beach on the island. However, I am always proud to agree on the beauty of the resort, affording wonderful panoramic views of the Andaman Sea, surrounding islands and the endless stretch of the blue sky. It was our honor serving you and we look forward to welcoming you again for another renewing stay.

Michael Schlueter

Been to The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!