“Langkawi 5 stars; Westin 3.75 stars” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
30% off room rate
Ranked #11 of 98 hotels in Langkawi
Atlanta, Georgia
“Langkawi 5 stars; Westin 3.75 stars”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Just came back from a 2 day, 2 night solo vacation to Langkawi. Some thoughts about the experience:

The hotel won't let anyone check in before 3pm. They should offer early check-in; but, the staff gave me a 50% discount voucher for lunch, which was nice.

The room- spacious and nice. Disappointed that there was no bathtub in the bathroom. The toiletries are wonderful and smell great. Extremely disappointed with the quality of the tv channels. They are all scratchy and grainy. Some channels are completely black and all you can do is hear the show but cannot see. The quality is absolutely horrible. You'd think a five star hotel would get a basic like this down. Free bottled water in the room is a nice touch. Towels are fluffy and soft. Heavenly bed is overrated in my opinion. It was too soft for Asian standards and one of my double beds had extremely lumpy pillows. Not down or synthetic. Simply lumpy.

One thing that really grated on the hotel experience is the fact that the hotel room doors slam shut really loudly. It woke me up at 5am when some neighbor guests left. I hope the management will do something about it like put rubber strips on the inside of the door frame to prevent loud slamming. I could even hear the loud thud with ear plugs on. It is virtually impossible to close the door without making a loud bang even if you try very carefully. I hope the management will look into this. As a result, both night I could not sleep till past midnight.

Spa
The spa really is heavenly
! I had a great time there. The staff are friendly and make you feel comfortable. I really appreciate the finishing touches like green leaves or lil flowers in tiny vases. I liked how the massage was done in private rooms, where you hear the sound of waterfalls or rushing water. No weird elevator sleepy time music. Just very natural. I loved the infinity pool at the spa. Very private and serene. The only downside is that you really don't get value for money at the spa. I got a 25 minute massage and the list price was 125 ringgit. By the time I got my actual bill, it was 165 ringgit with a bunch of unknown other surcharges. $63 SGD for a 25 minute massage? Not worth it.

The food at Breeze is very food, although it does take alittle long to prepare it. I had a late lunch at 230pm and waited half an hour for coconut shrimp. Then, I had an early dinner at 545pm and there was almost no one else there at that time, and again, I waited almost 40 minutes for my food. The seafood dishes were very tasty and amazingly fresh. It really helps if you are a Starwoods preferred member as when you show your card to the staff, you get 15% discount off your food at lunch or dinner.

The food preparation at Tide was ungodly long. Had lunch at 1340 and there were few other people there. Waited over half an hour again for fish n chips. I do not know why it took 45 minutes to fry fish n chips. The meal itself was not good either. The fried fish was way too oily and too much batter.

The best meal was undoubtly the breakfast buffet. The waffles are so fantastic and probably the most popular item there.

Staff
Really friendly and they seem genuinely happy to serve you, but they are reactive rather than proactive. I would sit at either Breeze or Tide and in the end, I would have to go to the bar to order my food since no one came to me. This is my biggest complaint. As a solo traveler, they acted like they didn't see me. The families which sat down would receive immediate attention, whereas I seemed to languish in a corner. The staff is helpful when asked, but are largely absent from the pool areas, which is the place where you need staff the most to take a drink or lunch order.

When I was checking out, I got my bill and was surprised because it was much more than my estimate. I asked to see what a certain charge was. Turns out it was not my meal. It was the wrong signature and the wrong room number. I pointed it out to the staff lady and she got rather irascible and huffy about it, which I thought was uncalled for. I did not blame her or say anything negative, only to point out that the charge was not mine. That left me a rather negative note on my departure.

The beach itself is rather mediocre, especially compared to beaches in Florida or Hawaii, as in, the water is a rather murky green gray color and you cannot walk barefoot on the beach because it is covered in sharp and jagged broken seashells. Even with flipflops on, you need to be careful. What I really liked about the property was that it is like your own stretch of beach. It is really quiet and serene and very conducive to relaxing. Also loved the fact that the hotel had 5 pools so the crowd was dispersed rather than really crowded at any one pool.

I loved Langkawi for its serenity, rainforest like qualities and overll relaxation. Although in the future, I may opt to stay at the Four Seasons instead.

Room Tip: Due to the door slamming problem, I would recommend getting a villa instead of staying at the main r...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Muppetsarecool,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I regret that we were unable to fully meet your expectation in regards to early check in as we were running an almost full occupancy in this month. However, we do have rooms with showers and bathtubs and I very much regret that our associate did not offer that to you. Moreover these rooms are as well mentioned in our website. I appreciate your highlight on the shortcoming of our guest room for our further improvement. Thank you for your positive endorsement for the award winning Heavenly Spa and we well noted on your comment on our pricing, please rest assured that we will review our pricing strategy continuously. Also, I very much regret that we have failed to meet your dining expectations and I have immediately addressed the shortfalls you mentioned to our team for improvement. I am certainly disappointed to note that our customer service was not up to your satisfaction. We appreciate your comments regarding areas of concerns you mentioned and thank you for allowing us to learn from your experience. As for the beach, the area here obviously not blessed with the best beach and I am sorry to read that this became a drawback for you. I can only hope if you would give us another opportunity to be of service to you on your future travels to Langkawi. I would take pleasure in welcoming you back for another occasion so that you could experience the resort as it was meant to be.

1,699 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Unlike a lot of other resorts on the island, The Westin is located at Kuah which makes it incredibly convenient to take a slow stroll out to the mall for the supermarket or food. You can also take a really cheap taxi out to Wonderland Seafood for an affordable and delicious seafood feast - order the butter prawn!

It's also worth booking the champagne buffet breakfast at the hotel for convenience, the food is pretty good and there's nothing to fault at all. All of the staff were wonderful, especially the ever-so-smiley guy who looked after the gym and pool table areas.

Room Tip: Choose a newly renovated room!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Iana85,

Thank you very much for sharing your positive experience. It is wonderful to know that you finds our location conveniently. Our resort situated on private beachfront yet it is only one kilometer from the main harbor of Langkawi, three kilometers from Kuah duty-free shopping centers. Thank you also for highlighting our SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast. Our stylish buffet breakfast is well-known by its widespread variety of nourishing food with a free-flow of sparkling wine which provides every guest a luxurious yet renewing breakfast experience. Last but not least, I appreciate a lot your feedback recognizing our friendly associate. It was a great pleasure to have you with us and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We spent 7 nights here with our 2 toddlers. The staff were very friendly and and requests were promptly met. We had two adjoining rooms. The rooms were bright, spacious and with modern interior decorating. The bed was so comfortable!!! I wish I had one of those heavenly beds back home.
You are spoilt for choice at the buffet breakfast everything from fresh fruit, crepes, pancakes, waffles, eggs any way you like them to noodles, rice, curries and more..... The fresh orange juice machine was brilliant! And champagne too!
The resort grounds were prestine. The horizon pool, toddler pool and rock pool were all fabulous.
The online gripe I had was the over priced spa. I know that hotel spas are expensive but this spa is ridiculously over priced. I had a Malay massage, foot scrub and I asked for my toes to be painted and was charged an extra 50 ringit just for my toe nails to be painted!!!
I would highly recommend the hotel but not the over priced spa.

Dear Gbars,

Thank you very much for taking a moment to provide your feedback. I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stay here with us and that you are very well taken care of. I would like to thank you for highlighting our room, especially our Heavenly Bed, which I have to agree with you, are amazingly comfortable. We are happy to hear that our SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast exceeded your expectation. Your satisfaction towards our resort facilities makes me truly happy. I acknowledge your comments regarding our pricing. Please rest assured that we do continue to monitor our prices. And a special thank you for your recommendations towards The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa. My team and I are really grateful for your comments and we wish to welcome you again.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Beautiful resort. The refurbished rooms were lovely and bright, spacious and clean. Room service was prompt. We stayed with our 2 toddlers and exercised great service from the staff. The buffet breakfast is amazing - spoilt for choice; champagne, smoked salmon, fruits, make your own salad, pancakes, creeps, noodles, curries, rice, eggs anyway you like... The list goes on.
The attention to detail made a great difference including providing plastic utensils and plates for our little kids - great!
The pools were great, we stayed july/August so it was nice and quiet, we often had the pool to ourselves. Huge horizon pool, toddler pool and fantastic rock pools with water features.
My only bad experience was the spa. I had a Malay massage and heavenly foot scrub and I asked my toe nails to be painted and I was charge an extra 50 ringit just for my toe nails to be painted!! I felt ripped off. I know that hotel spas are expensive and I've been to many exclusive hotel spas around the world and I felt this spa was a rip off, outrageously expensive, and it soured my experience of the Westin.

Room Tip: We had 2 adjoining rooms, one for us and one for the kids, we also asked for a refurbished room.
Dear Feline29,

Thank you very much for writing this review. I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay in one of our newly refurbished rooms. Glad to know that our customer service was to your satisfaction too. Thank you for recognizing our signature SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast. I do also agree with you our pools are awesome. I acknowledge your comments regarding our pricing. Please rest assured that we do continue to monitor our prices. It was a great pleasure serving you. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Suffolk, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

My husband and I have just got back from 11 nights at the Westin. Our room was wonderful (partial ocean view). The staff at the resort were magnificent, every member you meet or just pass has a cheerful greeting! They couldn't be politer. Pools were clean and not crowded. Didn't eat at resort much as it is very expensive and food on the rest of island is cheaper. They do have food theme nights, bbq's by pool and lots more (tip to management, perhaps if these evenings were cheaper they may be better attended). We had arranged a wedding vow renewal ceremony (for just the 2 of us) the staff could not have been more helpful and attentive, made us feel very special! Was also my husbands birthday the same day, while having our evening meal in the Seasonal Tastes restaurant, "in a private booth", 4 waiters arrived singing happy birthday and produced a birthday cake, and a glass of champagne each for us. What a lovely touch! Would highly recommend staying at the Westin, apart from slightly pricey food and drinks we couldn't fault anything! The island of Langkawi is absolutely beautiful!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear mavis37,

Thank you so much for this fabulous review. I am delighted to hear your good words about our partial ocean view room. Waking up to the magnificent sounds of the waves and the breath taking scenic view is to die for. I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stay here with us and that you are very well taken care of. I acknowledge your comments regarding our pricing. Please rest assured that we do continue to monitor our prices. And a special thank you for your recommendations towards The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa. We look forward to being your hotel of choice when you are returning in the future.

kualalumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The Westin Is a big hotel. Good grounds , good pools and spartan rooms . Excellent service is provided from the room where we just dail 1 and are immediately dealt with. Downs - there is no personalised feeling, no soul. Just another big hotel. Lobby is very uncomfortable esp when you are waiting to check in. Good open air concept but when there is no sea breeze it is hot and stuffy. Suggest to have more fans. Also no turn down service. A tad disappointing as it makes a difference. Little touches mean a lot and I have experienced this before. Westin can be top class but the people lack soul. I didn't get fresh fruit skewers as I relaxed by the pool??!!

Room Tip: Newly renovated rooms ocean view
Dear nishiKualalumpur,

Thank you very much for taking a moment to provide your feedback. I am certainly disappointed to note that our customer service was not up to your satisfaction. We appreciate your comments regarding areas of concerns you mentioned and thank you for allowing us to learn from your experience. On the other hand, I appreciate a lot your feedback recognizing hotel grounds, pools and rooms. And I would be thankful if you would give us another opportunity to be of service to you on your future travels to Langkawi.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

The management team here are excellent, The Heavenly Bed was not made up to advertised standard on the 1st night and the linen had a slight smell of cigarette smoke, I asked twice to get this changed the 3rd time I was presented with 1 of the managers (George I think). Whilst we went for dinner, the bedding was overhauled, the room was made up including fresh flowers, Rose Petals on beds, bubbles in bath and a personalised card as I was celebrating my Birthday,this was a very nice gesture. This is an exceptional hotel with caring team, awe inspiring views from all public areas. You certainly feel you are somewhere special when there. They try hard to think of the guest, towels already on sun loungers, refreshing fresh fruit skewers offered as we relaxed by pool (excellent touch)! Complementary drink by the pool on the seafood barbeque night during which they accommodated my wife on an al la carte basis as she doesn’t eat seafood and made sure she was happy, breakfast being offered early as we were checking out early for onward flight, a management member asking for feedback and being genuinely interested in our comfort and stay (Tanya I think her name was) - not just being polite for sake of it. Excellent evening lounge singers, our 6 year old loved them. This is a classy establishment and 1 of the best establishmentsI have stayed at. Well done Westin Langkawi.

Room Tip: HIgher up better as ever we were on 4th floor, east side some works going on rebuilding float I thin...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear RKPLondon,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused in regards to issue you mentioned about the Heavenly Bed. Please rest assured that I have shared your feedback with our laundry team who have been reminded to ensure the linen is laundered properly. I would like to thank you for your generous remark regarding our friendly and helpful associate. I do trust that they have placed much effort and are willing to go the extra mile just to make your stay with us a memorable one. Your positive comment has definitely motivated us to perform better. My team and I are really grateful for your comments and we wish to welcome you again.

Michael Schlueter

Been to The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!