“Lovely Property, But Not a True Starwood Category 5 Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
BOOK EARLY, STAY LONGER
Ranked #10 of 98 Hotels in Langkawi
Singapore, Singapore
“Lovely Property, But Not a True Starwood Category 5 Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We spent 4 days at the Westin for a beach minibreak. The hotel itself was very nice with a beautiful view of the sea. Our room was very spacious and modern, the bathroom, however, needed a facelift as it was a little run down and old. We later found out that some of the rooms have been redone, while others have not. We must have gotten one of the older rooms. If possible, be sure to request one of the renovated rooms, as I am sure they are up to usual Westin standards. The pool was lovely and the view from the pool was wonderful. I would suggest getting to the pool early to get chairs - all the chairs were usually occupied by 9:30 am. The best part about the pool was the staff. The staff at Splash were truly great and they made sitting by the pool all day a really great experience. The food selection at Splash, however, was very limited and not all that exciting. If you do wish to have lunch, I would recommend going elsewhere on the property, or, even better, heading into town.
The breakfast at the Westin is top notch. They offer everything you could ever want for breakfast, including free flow champagne! If you can get a package which includes breakfast, it is well worth it! I would highly recommend it!
We had dinner two nights at The Tide Restaurant. The food was good both nights, however, be careful when ordering the "pick your own fish" plate. While it is delicious, you will end up spending a fortune! The fish is priced per 100 grams and you don't get to dictate how big/small of a piece you want. As a result, I ended up with a HUGE plate of fish (they cooked an entire snapper) and paid about $80 for it. Tasty, but certainly not worth the price! If you do with to order it, my suggestion would be to share it with another person.
The hotel does offer the rental of a convertible mini cooper for an entire day so you can drive around the island and explore on your own. The island is quite small and this is a perfect way to see as much of it as possible in one day. I would highly recommend renting the car and exploring!
Finally, the spa is located down the beach from the hotel. The hotel offers a golf cart ride to the spa, however, you may end up waiting a while for the cart. It is better (and quicker) to just walk down the beach for 5 minutes until you reach the spa.
Overall, we had a wonderful stay at this property; however, I do not think it is a true Starwood Category 5 hotel. If we could get a good deal at the hotel, we would likely come back for another minibreak.

Room Tip: The partial beach view rooms are just as good as the full beach view rooms. I would not spend the a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Jena M,

First of all I would like to thank you for writing this detailed and valuable feedback. I have to agree with you that the location of the resort is located at a very eco environment. It’s just a perfect location for city lives get away. We really appreciate your positive comments about spacious room, pools, great associate as well as SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast. I do agree with your suggestion to rent a car to explore the island. Langkawi roads are in good conditions and it is very easy to find your way around. I acknowledge your comments regarding pricing for food & beverages and I personally went down to the restaurant and weighted the biggest snapper from the ice vitrine with 480 grams. With our current price level you should not have paid more than 100 Malaysian Ringgit for this. I kindly offer you to send me your invoice or name; date or room number and I will happily verify this charge for you and promise to make appropriate corrections if something was wrong. In regards to our room product, the resort is undergoing further refurbishment that will reflect a modern, contemporary resort product, showcasing the brand’s philosophy of Westin, For a Better You! Lastly, I would like to thank you again for your time and effort on writing this review for us to make necessary improvement. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Michael Schlueter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Beirut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for a friend's Indian wedding and we had a pleasant stay. The room is very comfortable, with great pools and beaches. The staff are friendly and the food is extremely good. However, there are a couple of incidences worth mentioning. I asked for a hair and makeup stylist for the wedding reception, and I was sent the worst stylist I have ever experienced which was recommended by the hotel. He didn't have a clue how to style hair or apply make up and ended up overcharging me before I discovered the actual price and asked for my money back by threatening to call the police. This was later resolved when the hotel suggested another stylist called Angie who did a good job! If you are a bride or looking to have your hair and makeup done, I would recommend doing your own research or asking the hotel to book you a stylist called Angie. Finally, we wanted to book horse riding and the hotel concierge advised us that we could show up at the riding school at anytime and book our rides. However, when my boyfriend did a little more research, he discovered that there were only two appointment time slots available and we needed to book in advance, so if we had listened to the concierge we may have missed horse riding altogether. All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel as the venue is nice, staff are eager to please, and food is just great, but do your own research and do not rely on the concierge to book your excursions.

Room Tip: Do your own research and do not rely on the hotel concierge
Dear Maya N,

Thank you very much for writing this valuable feedback. I’m pleased to know that you had a pleasant stay with us at the Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa. It is very kind of you to highlight our comfortable rooms, pools and beaches, friendly associates, and the food served here. It is very comforting to know that you have been taken care of whilst your stay here with us. However, I have taken note on some of the less pleasant experiences you mentioned. It is to my regret that these shortfalls have actually occurred. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused. The mentioned issues, I have already taken note of and addressed with my team. Please rest assured that we will continue to improve on our service levels and product quality. It was our great pleasure to be able to serve you. We hope to welcome you again for another rejuvenating stay in the near future.

Dorset, South West England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We spent the most wonderful week at this super Hotel and left feeling completely rejuvenated and rested. The staff (Jana Zahranova) in particular were impressively customer focused and assisted us with any problem we had making everything absolutely perfect for us. We felt the staff were motivated, conscientious and courteous and incredibly friendly wherever you went. Standards were high and nothing was too much trouble. We enjoyed our lunches in Breeze Restaurant and loved our pool cocktails. The room was gorgeous (overlooking pool) - unlike other guests, we heard no noise from a wedding or barbeque evening and thoroughly enjoyed a few good late night films (HBO and good film channels!). The bathroom was wonderful - especially the shower and there were lovely toiletries and robes. The in room safe was very handy. The bed was exceptionally comfortable and and the linen and towels top quality. The cleaners were great and our room immaculate on our return from being out each day. The breakfast was utterly delicious. Again, wonderful management Antonia Ostuni. Virtually everything you can imagine eating for breakfast was on offer and I loved the glass of bubbly which together with smoked salmon, made every breakfast a celebration! We would like Westin to know that we found the music in the breakfast restaurant far too loud which was unnecessary as it should be background - apparently there is a level it has to be set at and this should be lowered to just audible. Other guests agreed with this. Only gripe really! We ate at the Fish Farm who sent a minibus for us and the Prawns with black pepper sauce were amazing (we went back two nights on the trot for these!). The Fish Farm location was rustic (not 5 star) seated on a pontoon, with limited service/experience, but the food was amazing! We tried Charlies's Place which was about 37 pounds for a meal with a glass of wine and a beer, but only 3 small pranws on a plate for prawn cocktail which I thought was very mean.
Well overall, we loved the Westin and I would recommend it to anyone. Oh yes! The entertainment each evening was wonderful and we congratulated the three lovely girls and their amazing keyboard/backup/technical guy who made the most wonderful music you could imagine for hours each night. There was a romantic and sophisticated feel to the place and everyone including guests were friendly and happy. We had a long chat with the Head Chef in the breakfast Restaurant who was a highly experienced and pleasant man who made everyone feel very special and who paid huge attention to detail. Thank you everyone for making our time so happy and enjoyable. We will be back. Thoroughly recommend.

Room Tip: 2420 - pool and beach view. End of first corridor. Sound of waterfall very peaceful but certainly...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear franky53,

Thank you very much for writing this wonderful and valuable feedback. I’m very pleased to hear that you had a wonderful and memorable stay with us at the Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa! I appreciate the highlight on the Breeze lounge, Splash poolside bar, the gorgeous rooms, the SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast, and the evening entertainment performed by The Java at the Breeze lounge. I do agree that the music they make is indeed splendid and I’m also glad that we managed to meet your dining expectations. Not to forget, it is very kind of you to also highlight our friendly and professional associates. I’m sure they have placed in much effort and are willing to go the extra mile just to ensure your stay with us is a pleasant one. They truly are the heart and soul of the resort! On the other hand, I have taken note on the only gripe you mentioned which is the music in the Seasonal Tastes restaurant being too loud. I have immediately addressed this issue to my Food and Beverage team and please rest assured that we will review and improve it without delay. It was our honor serving you and we look forward to welcoming you again for another renewing stay on your future travels to Langkawi Island!

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed here as a family with children aged 3 and 7. We booked a one-bedroom oceanfront pool villa, and had the two children's beds put into the "living room" of the villa. it meant we had no lounging space in the iving room, but we did have a separate room - with door - for the kids to sleep in and, to be honest, the outdoor area of the villa was so lovely we had no need to sit indoors as well. The only red flag on this was that the "kids' room" (aka the living room) had no blinds so they tended to wake up early. We tried using the sunloungers' cushions to blank out the windows but only with some success!

The villas come with a mini kitchen, complete with large fridge, kettle, sink etc which is really useful. The price of alcohol - coming from Dubai - was incredibly cheap. But I did find the prices of food really random. You could get a fabulous main course for MYR 45 but then it would be MYR 49 for a tiny starter, or MYR 57 for a "toasted cheese sandwich" consisting of one piece of processed cheese in two bits of soggy bread. Really random!

Best points: Free Wifi in the villa; breakfast runs till 12pm; free bubbly at breakfast. Taxis were very well organised and reasonably priced.

Worst points: Random pricing. Service was hit & miss. Some staff went out of their way to go the extra mile; others couldn't give a damn and just said "no" to any requests. The main pool was beautiful but quite dirty - you could see "stuff" floating in it, black bits, hairs and so on. Even my 7-year-old was quite disgusted. The rock pool was also dirty and freezing cold. Icy!

The spa was excellent and , coming from Dubai, very reasonable in price. But on my second trip there they were running 40 mins late and didn't once explain or apologise, just left me hanging in reception, which stopped me going back again.

I'd also warn other travellers to beware of sandflies on the beach. On my last evening (only - no idea why not the other nights) I was attacked at dusk and went home with about 40 vicious bites on my legs. Wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Room Tip: Get the pool villa if you can
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear BellsDubai,

First of all I would like to thank you for writing this detailed and valuable feedback. I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at our Ocean Front Villa. It was also very kind of you to highlight the SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast and I’m pleased to know that we managed to meet your dining expectations. On the other hand, I have taken note on some of the shortfalls you mentioned such as the unavailability of blinds in the Villa, inconsistent service by our associates, random pricing for food and beverages, and the main pool and rock pool being not well maintained. I’m also very sorry to hear that you got attacked by sand flies on the beach. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused. I have immediately addressed the issues mentioned above to my team and please rest assured that we will review and improve it without delay to ensure that similar incident will not happen again. It was our great pleasure serving you. We hope to welcome you once more for another renewing stay in the near future.

Perpignan, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Independantly and as a family we travel extensively and I guess we have high expectations! Well the staff of The Westin Langkawi did their utmost to meet those expectations! Our welcome to the hotel was warm and efficient. Jana handled our check in with great professionalism. Then during our stay Edmond went way, way beyond the call of duty to ensure that our stay was as perfect and special as possible, even out of his normal working hours! I can honestly say that we will ALWAYS remember Edmond's kindness. Our decision to stay at this hotel was based on previous guest comments on Trip Advisor. Most comments we read were positive but there were some negative remarks re the lack of sunbeds and the beach. Clearly the management have taken the sunbed issue on board as the pool staff helped us to find beds every single day of our ten day stay and there are signs asking people not to 'reserve' beds. The beach, although not of the finest sand, is perfectly adequate and does have shade provided by trees but contrary to the review I read: there is still plenty of beach for catching the sun's rays! The water was calm and we had great fun kayaking. We also enjoyed the tennis courts and the table tennis table. No need to take rackets as these can be provided. Walking through the hotel grounds one can see monkeys overhead in the trees, plus squirrels and we also saw a kingfisher. We stayed in a one bedroom apartment which hadn't yet been refurbished but it was fine - again, way better than the reviews would have had us expect. It was very spacious, clean and nicely furnished though a little tired - but not enough to bother us. The room was also very quiet. We had a large terrace with the most amazing views! The breakfast buffet, which offers something for everyone, is taken in the Tastes restaurant which is nicely furnished and very light. Thanks to Han for the wonderful breakfasts he cooked for us! The Malaysian buffet was excellent - credit goes to the very capable Executive Sous Chef Yves Lafond. We celebrated my birthday in the Tides restaurant - virtually on the beach with the most amazing views at sunset. I was even serenaded by the resident musician! The lobby has a nice buzz - free wi-fi here and chilled juices. The Breeze Bar has live music and a great atmosphere in the evenings. During the day the poolside bar offers cocktails and bar food such as nachos and pizza. The staff are very friendly and accomodating. So I have lots of positives about the hotel but we also enjoyed venturing out. Taxis are extremely reasonable and the concierge staff were very swift to organise a taxi and to confirm the rate. Just 5 minutes away there are plenty of restaurants but a great one to try, half an hour away, is The Cliff - great location, great food. The local people are so gentle , so obliging - including the taxi drivers! If there was one small, small disappointment it was that the water sport hut was often not manned and the equipment wasn't too new so we didn't do as much as we had hoped in terms of water sports. But that said, as I have already mentioned, we did go kayaking and that was great fun. To summarise: I would say that this is a great hotel with the most special staff, where one can really enjoy a sense of escapism BUT - only 5 minutes down the road there are restaurants , shops, the market etc. I should also mention that the hotel suits couples and families alike.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear AVT66,

First and foremost I would like to convey my honored gratitude for this detailed and valuable feedback. I’m very much delighted to hear that you had a wonderful and memorable stay with us at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa! I do agree that the resort offers some really amazing views and the natural surroundings makes one’s stay even more magical. I appreciate the highlight on the SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast served at Seasonal Tastes, Tide restaurant, Breeze lounge, Splash poolside bar, facilities such as the tennis court and table tennis table, and the convenient location. I think you missed the bikeride, as we do offer plenty of bikes to explore the neighborhood. It is great to know that our Food and Beverage outlets managed to meet your dining expectations. Not to forget, it is very kind of you to highlight our friendly and professional associates. I’m very pleased with their efforts in ensuring your stay with us is a wonderful one and I’m also confident that they are willing to go the extra mile to exceed guest’s expectations. They truly are the heart and soul of the resort! On the other hand, I have taken note on your comments regarding the water sport hub not frequently manned. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. I have immediately addressed this issue with my team to ensure a better consistent presence in that area. It was our great pleasure serving you and we hope to welcome you once more for another renewing stay with us on your future travels to Langkawi Island!

Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at this hotel. It was our second trip back to the Westin and we enjoyed it just as much as our previous visits. The service staff were top notch as always and the breakfast buffet spreads were more than satisfying.

Room Tip: Choose the ocean view rooms
Dear garath81,

Thank you very much for your kind and modest feedback. I’m pleased to know that your second stay with us is still a wonderful and memorable one! It is very kind of you to highlight the SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast and it is great to know that we managed to meet your expectations. Not to forget, I’m sure our friendly yet professional associates have placed in much effort and are willing to go the extra mile just to ensure your stay with us is a memorable one. They truly are the heart and soul of the resort! It was our honor to be able to serve you once more and we hope to continue serving you on your future travels to Langkawi Island!

Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night and wish that we had stayed longer. The pools are the greatest, I must say. Breakfast spread is awesome and staff are courteous and kind. Room is great and the bed is heavenly (pun intented)! However, we arrived early and was told that room wasn't ready (we had expected it and it was fine by us to wait). Our son then wanted to swim (it was almost 1pm) and we were again told that room still wasn't ready. I then asked if we could just go into the room and have a quick change (which would take less than 5 minutes) in the bathroom and then we'd leave the room for the housekeepers to get on with their job. To my utmost horror, the receptionist who attended us (I have forgotten her name) asked if we would mind changing in the toilet at the lobby. I told her that yes, we do mind and after a 1-minute call to some lady, she said it's ok for us to go into the room and change. Also, at 11am the same said receptionist told us that breakfast was already finished and asked us to go to Breeze instead to have a quick bite. When we got to Breeze, we were told that food isn't ready yet and that breakfast downstairs is served until noon. Suffice to say, everytime I see her at the lobby, I avoided her as she had given me the impression that she was/is unhelpful and not knowledgeable.

Dear grungeee,

Thank you very much for writing this valuable feedback. I’m very much pleased to hear that you had a decent stay with us. I very much appreciate the highlight on the swim pools, SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast, the rooms and Heavenly Bed. On the other hand, I have taken note on some of the shortfalls you mentioned such as your experience during your arrival and it goes without saying that it is embarrassing to read. Please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of my team for the inconvenience caused. I have immediately addressed the issue with my Front Office department and please rest assured that we will review and improve it at once. I would like to highlight that the resort has as well a recreational center close to the lobby with changing facilities and lockers and I will ensure that we will be more attentive in offering this instead of toilets. It was a great pleasure for us to serve you and we hope to welcome you once more on your future travels to Langkawi Island!

Michael Schlueter

Been to The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!