“Remarkable” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan Pantai Dato Syed Omar, Langkawi 07000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #11 of 98 hotels in Langkawi
“Remarkable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

An excellent resort with so many facilities. Service is extraordinary. Staff a delight. Always helpful & friendly. Food was fantastic. The chefs were wonderful, friendly & would cook anything to your liking.
One of the best hotels in Langkawai.

• Stayed January 2013
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Bajramovic,

Thank you very much for your modest feedback. I’m pleased to read that we were able to meet your high expectations in regards to our facilities as well as services. I’m delighted to know that you felt well taken care of. It’s very kind of you to highlight our cuisine and I’m so pleased to know that you enjoyed our food and cuisine. My team and I are really grateful for your comments and we wish to welcome you again.

1,608 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
southsea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Have just returned from a great stay at the Westin Langkawi. This was our honeymoon and after spending 3 nights in KL we then travelled to Lagkawi for 9 nights. The resort was beautiful, The hotel staff friendly and polite. Definatley a great 5* experience from the very moment of our arrival.

We were greated with cold drinks and cold flannel. Check in was easy and we were offered several options to add on such as buffett breakfast and option to upgrade to a villa which we declined due to our budget. We were also advised of the complimentary cocktails between 530-630pm every evening which we enjoyed (cocktails were around 29 ringitt = £6).

Our first night we were enjoying the complimentary cocktail when the assistant manager came to chat with us. Very lovely lady and gave us lots of info of things to do in Langkawi. She was really nice, like speaking to an old friend.

Our room was a partial sea view room and was lovely. Loved the heavenly bed sheets and pillows. Air con was excellent. Loved the view from the balcony. Loved the bath/heavenly shower. Great that you would get complimentary water daily and tea/coffee/toiletries re-stocked daily.

We were also very appreciative of the complimentary fruit, treats and wine on arrival to the room.

The only gripe i had was that we had ants on the writing desk in the room (room 4318) which covered the fruit platter we had. We advised reception but the fruit was not replaced. We also asked at reception for a newspaper daily. This did not happen.

Other than this the staff were very polite, helpful and friendly.

The resort was breathtaking just for the views. We had no problems with sun loungers and noticed that there were signs around the sun loungers asking guests not to reserve the beds which is a great idea.

We did enjoy 2 themed nights buffetts. One was the malaysian night and the other was tropical delights of the world. Malaysian Night was definatley the better of the two (beef satay and beef redang excellent). I also enjoyed the buffett breakfast one morning (excellent!!!). Due to cost and the fact we liked to explore, we tended to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner out.

For those on a budget be warned - the hotel is pricey for food and drinks (£3 for a can of coke). But with the trip advisor app and a car we were able to travel to lots of places for eating & drinking.

This was definatley what we were seeking - peace tranquility and in such luxurious surrounding. Would we return? Definately.

Dear annh47,

Thank you for choosing The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa for your honeymoon destination. I would first like to thank you for your time and effort in writing us your experiences in Trip Advisor. I’m elated over your wonderful experience whilst your stay here with regards to our services and facilities. It’s wonderful to know that you enjoyed our peaceful location. Our resort is beautifully located with the stunning scenery yet we’re just few minutes away from the main town. I’m glad that you’re comfortable with our check in process as well. In addition, I’m delighted to know that you felt well taken care of; our friendly associates are the most valuable assets of our resort. It’s great to know you’ve enjoyed our comfortable room and Westin Heavenly Bed, which is enveloped in crisp layers of pure cotton bedding and abundant pillows to ensure a blissful night’s sleep. It’s very kind of you to highlight our cuisine and I’m so pleased to know that your dining expectations and needs were met. On another note, I’ve looked into the less positive issues you’ve mentioned and sincerely apologize for the shortfall. I appreciate you bringing up the shortcomings you have encountered to our attention as this will only assist in improving towards service excellence. It was a great pleasure to have you with us. We thank you once more and hope to welcome you here for another rejuvenating stay in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We spent 11 Nights at the Westin Langkawi in January 2013. We stayed in one of the hotel Villa's on the beach.Great accomodation and extremely spacious room. Beautiful plunge pool which my son really enjoyed. The staff at this resort were wonderful. Nothing was ever a problem. Joseph the villa manager was great and really made us feel at home. Nor Albaniah, great service at the buffett restaurant at all times. Hafiza at the upstairs bar was also great and she really knew how to make great cocktails. Amirah who serviced our room was also wonderful. I wish I could name more but I didnt get everyones name. The resort food was great. Staying 11 nights meant we got to taste all buffett theme nights including the beautiful brazilian night where we dined by the pool. I also recommend the Malaysian buffett night. I loved the Beef Rendang. I highly recommend this resort and hopefully will return in January 2014. Thank you for making us feel at home.

Room Tip: we stayed in Villa 5008 is which is in a beautiful position
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Phillip L,

Thank you for your kind words and reviews on our resort. I appreciate your highlights on our resort’s services and facilities. I’ve to agree with your review that our Villas are just heavenly to stay in which simply make every trip an unforgettable one especially to have some cocktails by the private pool while enjoying the views. In addition, I’m delighted to know that you felt well taken care of; our friendly associates are the most valuable assets of our resort. It’s very kind of you to highlight our cuisine and I’m so pleased to know that your dining expectations were met. And a special thank you for your recommendations towards The Westin Langkawi and The Westin brand. We thank you once more for choosing The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa for your stay during your travel to Malaysia, and our arms are always open to welcome you and your family back here in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We spent 11 nights at The Westin in Langkawi and we could not have stayed in a more peaceful Resort for our Honeymoon. Every day we found new views to admire from The Breeze and The Splash. The white sandy beaches by The Spa were breathtaking and again soo peaceful.. All members of staff were there to assist you with a warm greeting and a smile. These are the small details which makes a holiday to remember and never to forget. The selection of breakfast was awesome. Our budget did not extend to an evening meal every night, more the pity as the Menu was rather out of this world, but The Resort is located only minutes away from budget restaurants all made from local foods with an extreme diversity of selections of meals - Indian, Thai, Malaysian. I cried when I arrived and I cried when I left. The level of service at The Westin was probably the best we have had in our 6 years of travel. We will miss The Westin and hope to return one Day. Thank you, The Westin for such lovely memories.

Room Tip: Speak to the Resort.
Dear E W,

Thank you for having chosen Westin Langkawi for your honeymoon. I know that this is the most precious of holidays and I’m delighted to know that you enjoyed your Westin experience. It’s wonderful to know that you enjoyed our peaceful location. Our resort is beautifully located with the stunning scenery yet we are just few minutes away from the main town. I’ve to agree with you that our resort offer wonderful panoramic views of the Andaman Sea, surrounding islands and the endless stretch of the blue sky. It’s always rewarding to know that you felt well taken care of; I will certainly compliment my team with your feedback as well as recognize their great work. Thanks for highlighting our SuperFoods buffet breakfast. Our stylish buffet breakfast is well-known by its widespread variety of nourishing food with a free-flow of sparkling wine which provides every guest a luxurious yet renewing breakfast experience. We at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa appreciate you for spending your time and effort on writing us this wonderful feedback. Lastly, we hope you had a wonderful honeymoon, and we can’t wait to welcome you back here on your next trip to Langkawi once more.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I have recently spent 6 days at the Westin Langkawi Resort and Spa (late January). The location of this resort is really good, being close to one of the main towns on the island - Kuah. The surroundings of the hotel are also great, with wonderful views from the balcony and the pool area. Overall, this is a nice resort but there are several things which I considered improper for a 5 star hotel.

First of all, the green spaces appeared unkempt and a bit dry. Although there are many trees and plants around, these did not seem to be well maintained and everything seemed dry.

The sun lounges were a problem - you had to be by the pool really early in order to find any available sun loungers. There was a very limited number of loungers and the ones that were available, had holes and were in poor condition. Reading previous reviews, I noticed that this issue was already raised by several people, and it is a shame that it takes so long for the management to address it. Whilst discussing with staff members about this problem, we were told that the hotel had ordered new ones, but this was no consolation for us who have paid a lot of money and could enjoy the benefits of laying in the sun by the pool.

Another problem that I have encountered was that on two consecutive days, in the toilet by the Tide Restaurant, the sanitary bin had not been emptied, although it was overflowing...

Although this hotel would have so much to give, with beautiful views, amazing pools and great location, the experience I had was not a 5 stars one. I am not sure I would go to the Westin Langkawi again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear danutza_bog,

Thank you for taking the time to write and post this review. It’s wonderful to know that you enjoyed our peaceful location. Our resort is beautifully located with the stunning scenery yet we’re just few minutes away from the main town. Besides that, I appreciate you bringing up the shortcomings you’ve encountered to our attention and sincerely apologies for the shortfall. I note from your comments regarding landscape maintenance issue, I’ve addressed this with my team for further improvement. Concerning your comments on sun loungers were not available; I can say that we do expect a good amount of new sun loungers in early March, I sincerely apologies for any inconvenience. I’m concerned about the issues regarding our public area cleanliness and the inconsistent service from our team. Please rest assured that similar incident not likely to happen again. I understand from your comments that you might not return but I hope to have the opportunity to restore your faith in our resort.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Spent 12 days at the Westin Langkawi in January 2013. Whilst privately located on the SE side of the island and only 25 minutes from the airport, it is the closest resort to the main town, Kuah, and the main ferry terminal. Most other resorts are centred around the beach areas of Chenang and Pantai Kok on the western side of the island.

This is a nice resort and we were pleased we chose it and we would return. There are a few things though that you need to be mindful of so let me get these out of the way first.

We had booked a Partial Sea View room. These rooms have not been renovated and they are very, very tired, bordering on unacceptable for the price you pay. Something I was not expecting for the Westin brand. Only the immediate rooms each side of the main reception lobby have been renovated which are termed Full Sea View. We paid to upgrade on arrival ( for a moderate fee of RM100 per night) and after the first night were moved into a lovely Full Sea View room. These renovated rooms are very nice.

Our least favourite thing about the resort - breakfast, which is served in Seasonal Tastes restaurant . Food OK but the seating layout is awful, very crowded and terrible music being played. Felt like a supermarket cafeteria. Not relaxing. Earlier (before 8.00am) is better. We chose not to have breakfast on 3 or 4 of the mornings, instead taking an early lunch by the pool.

We visited in January and probably did not expect (stupidly on our part) the amount of children. They were everywhere. Most poorly supervised by irresponsible Australian parents who should respect other peoples desire to relax in some peace and quiet at some point in the day and that the pool area is not just a unsupervised child's playground for 12 hours. Not the resorts fault but something to be mindful of. Will avoid school holidays like the plague next time!

It was very, vey busy when we were there, approaching 100% occupancy. Pool lounges are a problem - there is not enough of them and not enough shade. The resort try and mange this by putting signs on each sun lounge saying that they can't be reserved but it doesn't really work. You need to get to the pool area early if you want a sun lounge with some umbrella shade. Lots of people rudely place personal items on lounges early to secure them only to return after breakfast some hours later. The resort must at least double the amount of sun lounges available during peak times. I observed many people very annoyed about not having access to a sun lounge from mid morning.

The beach at the resort is OK but generally the beaches in Langkawi are average compared to what we are used to and the water is typically "cloudy". The pools however are wonderful, so for us, the beach was irrelevant. There are 3 pools in total. Our favourite was the Infinity edge pool which offers magnificent views across the water to the surrounding islands.

The absolute best thing at the Westin Langkawi - all the team at the Splash Bar by the pool. They are just fantastic. Nothing is too much trouble, they are all very obliging and offer the best service, great Cocktails and great food. They looked after us every day and offered that personal service that is so often lacking in hotels and resorts around the world. Mahatir's entire team should be congratulated on a job well done. These guys are an asset to the Westin.

Tide restaurant is also very good. Lovely setting with very good food. Nicest place for dinner. Breeze Lounge is also good and one of the best times of the day was enjoying a cocktail or glass of wine on sunset @ Breeze. The views are magnificent. The 3 singers who entertain you 6 nights a week from 8.30pm till midnight are also excellent. Service can be a little slow but this is Malaysia, relax...
The Spa at the resort is also very good. We visited 3 times during our stay and prices are reasonable. Beautiful setting with great staff.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the Westin Langkawi and were sad to leave. Would have no hesitation in returning outside of school holidays and in a renovated room.

Room Tip: Ensure your room has been renovated
Dear Jove99,

First of all I would like to convey my honored gratitude to you for sharing with us this detailed reviews. We appreciate your choice for choosing our resort for your visit here in Langkawi. I’m always proud to agree on the beauty of the resort, spectacular location and stunning scenery, yet we’re just few minutes away from the main town. I’ve taken note of your comment on Deluxe Partial Ocean View room condition and you will be happy to know that we’ve started our soft refurbishment. This rejuvenating exercise includes a stage-by-stage refurbishment of all guest rooms. The finished look will reflect a modern, contemporary resort product, showcasing the brand’s philosophy of Westin, For a Better You – and positioned as the benchmark for superior product quality on the island, ensuring that our guests indulge in a relaxing and rejuvenating Westin Journey. I’m concern about your experience with regards to the spacing as well as the music being played in Seasonal Tastes. Also, with regards to your experience by the poolside, I humbly apologize for the regretful experience you’ve encountered with. Please rest assured that all your feedback and reviews have been acknowledged and taken note of, and have been informed to respective departments so that similar incidents like that would not happen again. I’m truly sorry that we’ve let you down with regards to the beach. Unfortunately the water is changing constantly and depending on low and high tide the experience is always different. I do agree with you that our pools are awesome and our infinity pool is definitely one of the main highlights of our resort. Furthermore thank you for mentioning our Breeze Lounge, which offers a relaxed atmosphere with, live music, the perfect combination for a nice evening. Thank you also for your positive endorsement for the award winning Heavenly Spa and I hope our experienced Spa therapists have made you feel relaxed and rejuvenated. We are pleased to hear our associates provided warm and caring service, which was up to your satisfaction. Lastly, I would once again like to thank you for your reviews on our resort and we welcome you to stay with us once more.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stayed at the Westin Langkawi for 10 nights on the 6th Jan 2013. We arrived early at 11:30a.m (check-in was 3p.m) and were greeted by Jana Zahranova (Guest Relations Manager). We were offered a refreshing drink whilst we checked in. We didn't expect to be able to check in for another 3 hours yet Jana managed to get our room ready for us within 30 minutes, this was really appreciated as this was my wife's first holiday since having a brain haemorrhage. I had emailed Jana at the hotel beforehand to explain about my wife's condition and made a few requests regarding room and location. Every single request was granted, we were placed in a beautifully renovated room on lobby level with a wonderful sea view. So a big thankyou to Jana who was so friendly and helpful throughout our stay.
We stayed in room 3412 which is a newly renovated room with a balcony and the view of the sea and surrounding islands was fantastic. The room had a huge bed (most comfortable bed I have ever slept in), modern units with a fridge, kettle, tea / coffee etc. A lovely bathroom with walk in shower. There was a large wardrobe, digital safe, a huge television and dvd player, and a 2 seater sofa and table.
The main infinity swimming pool was wonderful, complete with a swim up pool bar. Food in the hotel was really nice and reasonably priced for a hotel. Breakfast is a must, lots of choice.
The hotel and grounds are kept immaculate, and there is car parking spaces within the hotel grounds if you choose to hire a car during your stay.
Overall a wonderful relaxing holiday in a beautfiul hotel, we will be back again later on in the year.
Big thankyou once again to the lovely Jana Zahranova for making our holiday as perfect as possible.

Dear Lee R,

Thank you very much for the detailed review about your experience at Westin Langkawi. I’m delighted to know that you’ve enjoyed your stay with us and you’re comfortable in our newly renovated room. The finished look of refurbishment reflect a modern, contemporary resort product, showcasing the brand’s philosophy of Westin, For a Better You – and positioned as the benchmark for superior product quality on the island, ensuring that our guests indulge in a relaxing and rejuvenating Westin Journey. Besides, I do agree with you that our infinity pool is lovely as it offers magnificent views of Andaman Sea and the endless stretch of the blue sky. It’s very kind of you to highlight our cuisine and I’m so pleased to know that your dining expectations were met. Thanks for highlighting our well-known SuperFoods buffet breakfast too. Last but not least, It’s always rewarding to know that you felt well taken care of; I will certainly compliment Jana with your feedback as well as recognize her great work. My team and I would like to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort as soon as possible.

Michael Schlueter

Been to The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!