“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars

You added The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan Pantai Dato Syed Omar, Langkawi 07000, Malaysia   |
Special Price
Stay 3 Pay 2 (FREE NIGHT)
Ranked #9 of 100 Hotels in Langkawi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cromer
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2008

In febuary 2008, i was fortunate enough to book a holiday at this excellent hotel. A superb setting, fine restaurants, great bedrooms and excellent facilities. After 3 days however i was unfortunate enough to dislocate my hip. This is when the excellent staff led by Fadzil Hassan and Badrun Berahim truly came into their own. In our hour of need they rallied round arranging transport to and from hospital, provding the neccesary equipment to try and make the rest of our stay as pleasureable as could be under the circumstances as i was then confined to my room. Nothing was to much trouble, our every whim and need was catered for, with kindness, compassion, genuine sympathy and a smile. I cannot thank them enough. Needless to say, should my wife and myself get the chance to return to langkawi the first place we will head for will be the WESTIN RESORT!!!

• Liked — the staff!!!
  • Disliked — large amount of steps
  • Stayed February 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Brighton UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2008

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights.
We arrived just after 3pm, and were greeted pleasantly and were checked-in while sitting in the lounge. I was a bit annoyed by the attitude of the check-in procedure, the purpose of which seemed to be to upsell, and tell us how much we would have to pay extra if we wanted to check out after 12:00. We were told that our room was not yet ready, but we could upgrade to a villa at the 'bargain' rate of 2000MYR per night. As our room rate was 920MYR, I don't know what they were expecting me to say...yes ?! I said no thanks. We had to wait 45 mins for our room, and I must say I was not totally happy with our allocation (room 1101). We just about had a sea 'glimpse', but the room was on the ground floor and overlooked the entrance to the property, however it was not noisy. I guess you have to pay even more to get a pool-side room. As my wife and I are both Starwood Preferred Guest members, we were disappointed that we did not get a room on the usual 'SPG floor' as we have in other Westins.

The room was pretty nice, great bath, very comfortable bed, fittings generally very nice. That said, there were a few problems.
1. Quite a few mozzies around, even though we kept the doors closed - the doors didnt really shut properly.
2. Wiring looked a bit suspect in some places, and some strange buzzing came from the bathroom fan - sounded like someone was vacuuming !
3. It seemed that the bathroom tiling was from a different era to the other decoration - did they leave the previous tiles when they redecorated ?
4. Cleaning was not up to scratch - the shower was not cleaned properly, there was a hairball on the floor (not our hair), dust in places, and one day we left a spoon from our tea cup, and it had just been wiped instead of replaced !!!

None of the above could spoil the fact that the setting, and the resort grounds in general, were excellent. Both pools were very nice, the views were outstanding.

Service in general was adequate, sometimes a bit slow, but always good-natured.

We had breakfast in the 'Taste' buffet place every day, and found the choice and quality to be very good. We did not have dinner there, as we were told it was like a rugby scrum to get the best dishes - there were also a lot of kids running around.

We had dinner and lunch once each in the Tide 'open air' restaurant - the location was OK, but atmosphere a bit flat, and the food was patchy. Scallops were lovely, pizzas were weird.

In the evening, the only real option was the 'Breeze' lounge, it was OK, again service could be slow, and the entertainment was cringeworthy - amateur singers backed by a cheesy organ that wouldnt sould out of place at Butlins. Not really in keeping with the image of the place, but having said that some people loved it !

Our experience was fine overall, but lacking the polish that you expect from Westin (certainly the ones in Europe anyway), and I would try somewhere else next time.

• Liked — Views and pools
  • Disliked — Bad cleaning
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Almere, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2008

For the last week of our (2 adults, one 4 year old) three month trip around the world, we decided to fly to Langkawi. Quite coincidentally, we choose the Westin. This turned out to be a more than excellent choice!

Immediately upon arriving we discovered this was going to be really special. The entrance/reception area is impressive, there are immediately a lot of people coming to help you; you don't have to check in at the reception but they let you sit comfortable in the lounge, rooms were beautiful (we paid extra for ocean view but this was really worth it) and the grounds super with a horizonpool.

The breakfastbuffet was excellent (what about fresh made to order belgian waffles, made to order omelettes, fresh juice, champagne etc etc) with beautiful presentation. The same was true for dinner. One night we had a dinner outside near the pool: the food was excquisite.

But the real thing that made this a six star experience was the personal attention of the staff. We were pampered to the max, no question was too difficult.

We indulged in the services of the hotel so much that we only left the premises for four hours during our five day stay (which is so not us, because we always like to get to know the area).

The Westin was a super experience and we 'll definitely visit it again when in the neighbourhood.]

• Liked — Six star experience in every aspect
  • Disliked — Leaving!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Westin for 3 nights in early February 2008. We had a wonderful time and it was very sad to leave. It was so nice to arrive through the stifling heat that is Malaysia to the huge, airy and gorgeous lobby of the hotel.

We had booked a garden view deluxe room but I think we were upgraded because our room actually had a sea and pool view which was spectacular. The room itself was spacious, clean and luxurious and after driving around the island site seeing during the day it was so nice to come back and lie on the bed in such gorgeous surrounds.

The main horizon pool is really great for swimming and was rarely crowded. It had a wonderful view over the Andaman sea and it was so relaxing to have a swim in the pool in the late afternoon and then lie on the deckchairs facing the sea and sip a cocktail.

The beach is in better condition that I thought it would be from the other reviews of the Westin. It is very clean and white with some very pretty shells and numerous places under the trees to rest in the shade. As it is quite long it is also good for walks. At low tide you cannot really swim as you have to walk for kilometres just to get waist deep. Low tide also doesn't afford the best view of the beach. However, at high tide you can happily swim and the view of the beach is terrific. The water quite cloudy but I think this more to do with the natural condition of the bay than from any sort of pollution. Even though it is fairly close to Kuah town, you very rarely see any boats passing. Langkawi has lots of mangroves and according to my father who is a biologist, this is most likely the reason why the water looks muddy. The best beach on the island in my opinion is the Tan Jung Rhu beach, directly north of the Westin. It's only about 20 minutes drive but a must if you want to experience true beach beauty. However, I must say that I swam at all the beaches on the island except the Datai beach and at each beach were jellyfish or sea lice. They were not visible but as soon as we entered the water we started being bitten by things. The bites would go down and disappear 5 minutes after leaving the water but it did not make ocean swimming a pleasant experience at all and it means that not many people enter the water and when they come out you see children and adults rubbing themselves because of the stings. Because of this, it is essential to have a hotel with a good pool and the Westin definitely delivered.

In terms of meals etc, we only ate one lunch, one dinner and one breakfast at the hotel. We preferred to experience other places. Kuah has good indian eateries and there was one Indian cafe in particular that had delicious and excessively cheap Roti Chanai for breakfast. In terms of meals at the Westin, they were good but not amazing. The breakfast buffet almost had too much choice and there is only so much one can eat for breakfast when its 35 degrees outside.

We had a couple spa treatment which was lovely and definitely recommended. We booked for 6pm in the evening and arrived at the spa an hour earlier which was a good idea because the spa has a gorgeous shady horizon pool right on the beach and at that time of day we were the only ones there!

Overall, I would thoroughly recommend the Westin.

• Liked — beautiful retreat
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2008

We booked two nights in a sea facing room. As we had to wait for two hours for our room, we got an upgrade to a nice suite. Nice view. Nice bed. Very friendly staff. Nice buffet-dinner. Very nice spa. Nice lounge-bar. Best view on the island. Walk the gazebo at sunset! We liked it better than the Tanjung Rhu resort. This is much more ‘international’.
Staff was very professional. We travelled with our 8 months old son. One of the concierges (the one with the moustache and almost bold) asked his name. Two days later we met him when we met. He remembered the name of our son. That is like home.

• Liked — The friendly almost bold concierge with a moustache. Those men make the difference!
  • Disliked — Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2008

We stayed at the Westin for our honeymoon in November 07. Originally we'd booked a ocean view room. However upon arrival they had a special offer on for 4 nights and were offering discount stay in a sea view villa. Therefore we upgraded to a sea view villa............and WOW......it was absolutely fab!! It was spotless and spacious, we had our own swimming pool out in the back. The bath room was great, dual sinks and towel supplies etc. A massive bed and a massage area around the side. You could call for a private massage to your villa at any time because the spa is open till late. We had a buggy service to help us travel around the hotel as the villas are situated further away from the rest of the hotel. The staff are amazingly friendly and never forget your face and name. We were truly taken aback by the friendliness of the staff. We used the spa, tennis courts, gym and recreation areas all the time and it was great fun!However at the end of the four nights we switched to our normal ocien view room. That was also nice.... but no where near as good as a stay in the villa. The view was a side view of the ocean and not so great. The room was average. It was clean and spacious. Due to the fact that we no longer had the privilege of using the buggy service we found that we had less interaction with the staff who had become our friends.... so we missed that.The restaurant food is good. But service can be VERY slow. The only bad thing was checking out took too long and we were getting frustrated at why it was taking so much time.
Overall if you're a honeymooner I'd definately recommend a stay in the villa. Its worth it

• Liked — location and service
  • Disliked — the swimming pool was not heated
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2008

We just spent 3 nights in a sea facing villa for part of our honeymoon! We'll break it down a bit for you....

The Location- A great location to start your exploration of Langkawi. We stayed at the Datai afterwards and it was much, much easier to get around from the Westin. You could take a 10minute walk to nearby Charlies for the sunset and a basic dinner (also where East Marine Divers takes off from for diving and snorkling adventures), to the local ferry port/mall (there's a Starbucks, Kenny Rogers, and some other touristy shops) and to the areas biggest mall (ATM machines, McDonalds, local "food court", grocery store).

Our Villa- The villas are very large with a GREAT outdoor space including a pool you could actually swim it versus a small "soaking tub". We could sit outside at sunset and watch the lovely Hornbills come and hop from tree to tree....at one point we counted over 11!!

The villa also had a small kitchen, small "maid" quarters (which people probably rarely use), and a large bathroom with rain shower, nice tub (no jets), dual sinks, and separate toliet area. There are 2 flat screen tvs (with pretty bad reception) and a very comfortable living and dining area. The bed is pretty, but not the most comfortable.

Upon arrival though, we noticed that some of our dishes in the cabinet were very dirty and the counter tops were not clean...a bit gross especially for $600+ USD per night. The electric outlets and switches are also wired strangely. If you flipped the wrong switch you would turn out all your power (clocks, air con, etc) and things were labeled incorrectly. We also had A LOT of mosquitos inside despite leaving doors and windows shut!! My hand was bit up quite badly one night as it stuck out of the blankets.

The Beach- The beach really is not a swimming beach and the sand is not your "white, soft beach" sand. When the tide is low, you actaully see more sand/rocks than ocean close to the hotel and it looks a bit ugly. It is pretty to look out at the water during high tide and see the small islands dotting the sea and the contrast with the blue sky and greenish waters.

The Pools- Nice, clean, comfortable. Nothing over the top, but refreshing and comfy in the hot, humid air.

The Restaurant- The breakfast buffet at Taste was included in our "Villa Package". It was good, not great. There was a lot of variety and you would get full no matter what your taste. The music played in the restaurants sometimes sounded like techno dance music though...kind of strange. We didn't try the dinner buffet.

We ate at Tide twice for dinner. My husband enjoyed the cheeseburger, but didn't much care for the chicken and beef malaysian satays. I had a pasta dish (noodles sticky and overcooked) and a pizza (sugary sauce, greasy). The salad we had was just okay, but had a weird mix of nuts, fruit, and dressing. Service could be slow and although everyone was kind and polite, it was not quite 5* restaurant service.

The Spa- I had a 60min Malaysian massage and my husband had an after-sun treatment late one night (they stay open until midnight which is awesome) in the "couples villa". My massage was not very good though. The pressure was very hard and the girl never asked me. Eventually, I told her to go softer and it was better, but not great and boardered on uncomfortable at times. At one point, she went to massage my stomach and instead of covering my chest with the draw sheet, just whipped it off and had me lay there exposed (and cold). There were also a lot of ants on the floor and mosquitos in the villa. One buzzed around my ear almost the whole massage. My husband said his treatment was okay, but nothing special.

I did go back the next day to give the massages another try and had a 30min back/neck massage included in our package. This girl was amazing!! She checked the pressure with me, turned down the lights, and the room I was in this time was clean and comfortable. I also had a hair treatment/scalp massage that night that was good and relaxing. The spa was very quiet both times I went and I didn't see any other guests which seemed strange.

Thankfully, we had tripadvisor to guide us regarding where to go and what to see. The hotel offered little help in that regard and did not know of any of the eco-friendly adventures (Dev's mangrove tours, naturalist at the Datai, etc). No real concierge existed and again, the staff was nice but not always that helpful in answering questions.

On the other hand, the staff was thoughtful and did different things every night for us for our honeymoon. One night was chocolates and wine, one was flower petals on the bed, and twice they filled the bath and added petals. Our last night they brought us a cake.

I don't know if we'd stay here again or not. The villas are great especially since the ones at the Four Seasons cost double the price (we have not seen them though). It is a hotel worth trying, but 3 nights there was enough for us!

• Liked — the size of the villas, the price of our package for what we got
  • Disliked — the mosquitos, the beach/sand, the food
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!