“Perfect sanctuary” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Perth, Australia
“Perfect sanctuary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

It's fabulous to stay in accommodation where there is such obvious care and commitment by the staff and owners. We have just returned from a five-night stay, and would highly recommend Ambong Ambong. The philosophy behind this wonderful little resort should be a role model for others. It has been built to minimise the impact on the beautiful jungle in which it sits, while making the most of that extraordinary environment. You sit in the tree tops, watching the wildlife in comfort from your first-class accommodation. It's not far from the hussle & bustle of the beach and restaurants, but provides a perfect sanctuary. And there's always the fab Japanese Unkaizan restaurant and Ishan spa on site if you don't want to go anywhere. Yes, it is steep, but Nizam is so friendly and efficient that you can always rely on a buggy ride to your room. Our thanks to Ahmad & Joan for their warm welcome.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

It was our first trip to Langkawi and we were struggling to find an alternative to the large scale resorts in a quiet location as we wanted a true R&R secluded holiday free of noise and clutter - then we found Ambong Ambong. We also discovered they offered yoga retreats which was the perfect solution for us as non-sun bathers. We appreciate a walk on the beach or a quick dip in the ocean, but we wanted something different although if you prefer the beach it is only a 5 min walk. This place exceeded our expectations and we couldn't have found a place in a better location if we tried. A quick taxi from the airport, 5 minute walk to beach and a further 5-10 minutes to the hustle and bustle of Pentai Tengah where you can shop and dine. Although the best part was the seclusion in the hills amongst the tree tops with no need to wander. Absolute serenity. We stayed in the studio and must admit the photos we saw beforehand do no justice. The rooms are large and beautiful - all new furniture, comfy beds, loaded kitchenette, hot water, loads of closet storage for a lengthy stay, and elegant decor. The staff were very organized, accommodating, and helpful. Thank you Nizam! Their were beautiful views of the surrounding area, gardens, birds serenading, and occasional show of curious yet shy monkeys (please don't feed them to maintain their curiosity and maintain their diets). The topper was Ishan Spa at your doorstep where we received a wonderful and affordable massage. We noted people coming and going from other locations. Must be the great price and service! Don't forget you have an amazing Japanese restaurant which we ate at every day (it was so good) with friendly staff. . .and convenient. Try their homemade ice cream! You seriously don't need to leave the property with spa, food, pool, and lodging in one place. But, if you do want to venture out you are in a great location.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong as they have built each room with privacy in mind - buildings are staggered s...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Joan_Shori, Owner at Ambong Ambong, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for a great review; Nizam and the staff are very chaffed to be so well appreciated. Our neighbours, the Spa and the Japanese restaurant are at the the top of their leagues.( See Tripadvisor) and even though under different managements, we try to work together to enhance the experience of our guests.

You Are so right about not feeding the monkeys; it is not doing them any favours to disrupt their normal feeding patterns.
Klang Bah Kut Teh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I've stayed in this hotel for only a night and I regretted for not extending my stay here as I've booked and paid for another hotel at Kuah town to make my duty free items much easier. Since I already rented a car to make my travelling around Langkawi easier, I drove to this hotel and even before I reach the place, Mr Nizam already give me a phone call to make sure that I did not miss the junction. It's only 11am in the morning! I was like "What kind of hotel that provides early check as early as 11am???". I was greeted by Nizam upon my arrival and mind you, the hotel is located on a very very steep cliff (I strongly agree with all the travellers here). Nizam immediately help us with our luggage and we were drove up to our suite by his 4X4 vehicle. We're done with a quick check-in inside the suite within 10 minutes and this is my first time check into the hotel without a lobby. Great, not much hassle like other hotels normally do. Rooms are very spacious, beds are extremely comfortable and superb rain shower inside the bathroom. Not to mention there is also a balcony, kitchen, fridge, safety box and a very huge wardrobe to store your things. Since most of the things already mention by other travellers, I'm not going to go deep into the details anymore. Overall, I'm very satisfied with my stay here!!! Definitely will be back in the future!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Joan_Shori, Owner at Ambong Ambong, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
We like our guests to be totally at home and comfortable and when we say "welcome" we really mean it. It is not all unusual for us to check guests in early or check them out late to suit their travel arrangements.

Thank you for staying with us. Please come back again and see how else we can surprise and spoil you.
Folkestone
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

If you are looking for piece, quiet and high quality service this is the place you have to go. Nothing is more important that your well being there.
The owner will welcome yu personnaly and any request you have will be fullfilled.
Quiet but not isolated, you can easily rent a car down the hill and do whatever you want. Anna will be delighted to help you choose the best attractions to see and so much more.
You will have only one regret...have to leave !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Joan_Shori, Owner at Ambong Ambong, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you for the kind words. Anna and the rest of the team look forward to your next visit and they will try to do even better!
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

This place is lovely, comfortable and welcoming as other reviewers have said. We stayed six nights.

I should mention we had a few days of pouring rain which may affect my impression, but you should be aware:
- The stairs offer a serious stairclimbing workout. Parking and pool are at the bottom. We are late 40's and both gym goers, but it was a consideration when we planned our day. You don't just "dash back" to the room.
-In the rain, esp in the dark, the stairs are a bit treacherous. They are quite narrow, so you get rather soaked by overhanging vegetation and it's too narrow for a big umbrella. I would not want to go out for dinner on a rainy night in high heels. (Maybe you won't be doing this in Langkawi anyway, but just to give you the picture.)
-there are no grounds, lobby or common areas aside from the pool (which is small and has two loungers only). It's you and your unit. We almost never saw (or heard) another guest.
-It's a bit like staying in a treehouse in the jungle. Fine if you are preoccupied with your companion or a good book or a bottle of wine and it's raining outside and you don't mind. But I found myself a bit restless and isolated. I wanted to get out and see the town, beach etc. But I felt somehow confined by the stairs, the rain and the lack of other common areas to distract us.
-I got very bored with breakfast. I eat granola every morning when I'm not on vacation, so this was convenient to have it supplied, but boring.

It's really about what you are looking for. Next time, I'll stay somewhere a bit less remote, and closer to things I can do if it rains.

Once again, I have absolutely no complaint about the facilities or the welcome. It's beautiful here in the forest, and the staff were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Joan_Shori, Owner at Ambong Ambong, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Many of our guests find the walk up to the rooms a little daunting especially on a wet nght and we have decided to remedy it. The buggy service will be abe available intill midnight.

It was unusually wet when you stayed with us and we did not know you felt confined; had we known we would have been happy to fetch you from the room and send you to where you wanted to go.

Perhaps next time??
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I was at Ambong-Ambong for 2 nights. Nizam, the friendly host, was there waiting to greet us when we arrived at 8pm from the airport. He quickly ushered us to our room at the highest block and did a quick check-in and overview with us in the room itself (rather than the lobby). The hotel is new and everything is clean and in perfect condition.
This is not your stereotypical Langkawi resort so let me explain Ambong-Ambong in very few words:
1. The hotel is located on a steep cliff, in a sustainable development and thus you will be right smack in the rainforest. You'll get the "jungle feel" (wild animals, birds, loud insects, etc) inside the comfort of your room and balcony.
2. Very low density hotel and a small decent pool. So don't expect any other amenities
3. You could catch the gorgeous view of Tengah Beach only from the spa lounge and the Japanese restaurant (Unkaizen). It is difficult to see the beach through the dense jungle from your balcony (we were at the very top)
4. The roads are steep (and slippery when it rains) and the steps up to the room can be both fun and quite a task. Thus this place is probably not suitable for the extreme of ages (very young kids and the elderly) or those with heart failure!
5. This place is spanking new. Everything is in the best condition now.
6. The room is spacious with a large comfortable bed, tv area, a kitchen, balcony and the washroom. The cupboards offer really large storage spaces.
7. This is a boutique hotel so you need to heat up the breakfast which is already in the fridge the night before. The coffee is the fresh-pressed type. The quantity is definitely more than adequate and the quality of the food good. Everything else in the fridge is complimentary, including soft drinks and beer...
8. The beach is a short walk from the hotel and the access road is between the Lanai and the Federal hotel. The beach is ok but clean.
9. The spa is not the typical one offered by others. The therapists there mean business. It is more of a treatment rather than a spa. Don't get me wrong. The therapists are really good. They can diagnose your troubled spots and work on them really well (i mean be ready for some hard pressure point massages) but I'm sure you can request for a watered-down version of the traditional-style massage.
10. Location is slightly away from the touristy area (if that is what you want) but not too far if you need to walk there (15-20mins). Don't forget the climb up to your room when you return. Renting a car is probably the best option. By car, Kuah is 20 mins away, Pantai Tengorak (Datai and the Andaman) is 40 mins away and the airport is just a mere 10 mins (good if you are rushing there)

All in all, it was a unique rainforest experience for us, listening to nature's orchestra, secluded away from touristy places and yet within a short walk to the beach. Kudos to the team at Ambong-Ambong and Ishan Spa.

Room Tip: Take the highest floor
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Joan_Shori, Owner at Ambong Ambong, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
How nice of you to say all those lovely things about us! Actually your description of Ambong-Ambong could not have been better even if we tried. We take sustainability seriously and only one large tree was cut and earthworks kept to a minimum during the construction. Also all the timber and cane we used came from renewable sources. To be truthful the building took alot longer and cost much more , but we figured it was a small price to pay.

As mentioned in another reply the (electric) buggy service has been extended to midnight so guests dont have to trudge up the hill at night.
kuala lumpur, malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Our small group of friends unanimously loved our stay at Ambong -Ambong. Service was excellent and Anna the manager certainly adds a great touch of hospitality with her team , Nizam was so friendly and handled our check in efficiently . We stayed in the 2 bedroom bungalow - it was well designed and pleasantly decorated . It had a good kitchenette. A simple daily breakfast is placed in the fridge the night before . Our favorite spot was the balcony as the view is wonderful! The surrounding foliage is lush and natural ..... it was invigorating and peaceful to be surrounded by the green canopy of tall trees . The shy dusky-leaf monkeys made several appearances , traipsing on the branches . In terms of facilities , there's a small swimming pool ( small but clean) and also a deck for yoga ( you can book classes from Langkawi yoga) . Right below Ambong- Ambong , Ishan spa was really good with lovely ambience. There are many steps to climb up to Ambong but don't let it put you off this understated gem as they have a buggy. Also the steps are a great workout ! I really preferred this place to the impersonal hotels. It was like coming to a your own little holiday home after a day out . The downside is it's not beach front . Maybe parking a rented car may be difficult as it's a steep drive up . But it is still a lovely place I wouldn't hesitate to recommend . I would definitely return here! I smile at the thought of it . Kudos to the team at Ambong Ambong.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Joan_Shori, Owner at Ambong Ambong, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
We are glad you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us. As you implied , we try to cater to the more individualistic and discerning travellers who appreciate solitude, enjoy nature, into yoga and natural remedies.
We have already started promoting packages which include yoga, meditation, Ayurvedic massage and healthy life styles. Keep in touch as there may be something there that may be suitable.

Been to Ambong Ambong? Share your experiences!