“Nice Hotel but poor staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of favehotel Cenang Beach - Langkawi

You added favehotel Cenang Beach - Langkawi to your Saves list
favehotel Cenang Beach - Langkawi
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lot 119, Pantai Tengah, Mukim Padang Mat Sirat, Langkawi 07000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #19 of 100 Hotels in Langkawi
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Nice Hotel but poor staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Nice and modern hotel. Clean and big rooms. Good location (400 m from the beach but Not the best beach of langkawi).
They gave us a room with two separate beds and we had asked for a double bed. When we claimed they told us that the hotel was full and they can not change us. Seems that they were lying because the hotek does not seem to be full.
There was 1 day in which they "forgot" to make the room. And another day in which they "forgot" to leave towels.
Staff was not friendly.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
FaveCenangLangkawi, General Manager at favehotel Cenang Beach - Langkawi, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear elmago150,

Warmest greetings from Fave Hotel Langkawi.

Thank you for choosing us as your preferred hotel on your visit to Langkawi. We are glad to have had you with us.

I am sorry for the bed configurations, as all requests are upon availability when you check-in. We have already noted on your request, but unfortunately, we really were fully booked on that period. Please be assured that we try our best to accommodate all requests and would not ‘lie’ to our guests. By all means, on average, we were running full house of late, and also by full, we could meant that we are full on Double Beds. I apologize on behalf of my receptionists for not explaining clearly to you hence, causing the misunderstanding.

For the rooms, I have already raised this with our Housekeeper and actioned on it. I am sorry for the lack of towels and as for making up of rooms, we go about making rooms from 9am to 4pm daily, if you happen to be in your room at the time, please inform us on your preferred time / inform our reception when you are going out.

I am sorry for the inconveniences caused during your stay, and thank you for sharing with us for our improvement.

Once again, thank you for staying with us.

General Pramono

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Fave hotel itself is great. We stayed here for 3 nights, and everything was perfect. Rooms were clean, wifi was quick, had TV which played movies, air con, great service from staff, friendly and helpful with tours and information, great big buffet breakfast with variety of foods, pool with a view of cliffs.

My only negative about the room would be that there wasn't a bar fridge in the room.

Also, the main downfall was the location. It isn't close to the beach. You can walk, but you would be working up a sweat. We got a scooter and rode everywhere, so wasn't too bad, but the closest beach to Fave was dirty with alot of rubbish on beach and boats/jet skis everywhere in the water, which made swimming not very pleasant. The nicer beach is on the main street. If we were to stay at Langkawi again, we would book closer to the nice beach (I forgot the name of that beach, sorry).
Overall, we still thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Fave Hotel.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Randa_reviews,

Good day from Fave Hotel Langkawi!

Thank you for staying with us on your visit to the island. It was our pleasure to have you with us.

I am delighted to know that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for giving us motivation and appreciation by sharing your experience in TripAdvisor. Many thanks for your kind words, we will definitely work harder to improve and to maintain it up with our Fun Fresh & Friendly services!

Happy to know you had a good stay. I and my team send our warmest regards to you from Fave Langkwi.
Cheers to good times! J

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We were a group of 4 girls and we stayed at fave hotel for 4 days. The location is great and is an easy walk to the Cenang beach and the many restaurants nearby. The rooms were clean and so was the hotel. We tried the spa too and the massage was great! The breakfast provided every day was alright and it changes a bit each day though we were bored of it on the last day. The bar is good and the poolside is a great place to relax after a long day out. The restaurant food was also good however I would say the service can be better as I felt it was quite slow.
Otherwise our stay was great and would highly recommend this hotel!

Dear AbiramiS,

Hello from Fave Hotel Langkawi!

It is such a pleasure to hear from you and thank you dearly for your review of us.

I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay here! Thank you for your kind words and I am glad you enjoyed our rooms, facilities and services.

For the breakfast, with the help of many suggestions and feedbacks from all our guests and you, we have recently added new menu to it! I hope on your next visit, you will find it to your satisfactory. I apologize for the slow service you have experienced, we will work harder on that area, thank you for sharing.

Please do come and visit us again. Looking forward to welcoming you back!

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights and it was average. Once we alighted from the taxi, the view of a simple lobby and restaurant greets us. Just right behind, there's a long pool. Check-in was done swiftly and we got our room immediately when we arrived at about 12.30pm. We brought our luggages up by ourselves.

The room was really small but I am okay with that as I booked this hotel with the knowledge of it being a boutique hotel. I can deal with a small room but the room was really basic. There were not much amenities to be found in the room - just a TV, safe and some basic toilet amenities. The room wasn't very clean as we found bugs on the floor - probably because it's an island. There was no flask, coffee/tea sachets or even a mini refrigerator. There were also no tissue paper, just toilet paper in the toilet. Luckily we did not plan to stay in the hotel for most times, as we lazed around Cenang Beach most of the time.

The good thing about the hotel is the location. It's conveniently located at the end of Cenang Beach, nearer to Pantai Tengah. It took us less than 10 minutes to walk into the main area of Cenang Beach, where there are lots of restaurants, mini marts and shops selling swimwear, clothes and souvenirs. There's also a duty free shop which sells mainly chocolates, alcohol and some beauty products. The good thing about Langkawi is that it's tax-free, so everything is really cheap there. There was also a small mall with Starbucks, KFC, a bank and Guardian inside if you need any of those necessities.

Breakfast was very simple with a small buffet line - there were fried rice, friend noodles, some ham/sausages, mashed potato, mixed vegetables, cereals and milk, salad, toast with spread and juices. There's also an egg station where you can request for your choice of eggs.

Upon check out, we left our luggages with the hotel and went out for our final walk along Cenang Beach. The horrifying thing was when we returned, all the check-in agent did was to open the room filled with luggages for us and left us to get our own luggages and walked away. It's quite dangerous as people might take the wrong luggage without knowing or steal other people's luggages. Found it very unsafe.

All in all, this is a budget hotel. Do not expect very much from it. Will choose to stay somewhere else if I am returning to Langkawi again. Then again, we booked this hotel because most hotels around Cenang Beach were fully booked as it was the peak season.

Dear butterandfly,

Greetings from Fave Hotel Langkawi.

Thank you for writing a detailed review and sharing your experience with us to other readers. We appreciate your feedbacks very much.

For coffee and tea making facilities and mini bars, we do not provide in all of our Fave Hotel chains as it is the concept of our select service boutique hotel. We have noted on this, as suggested by many of our guests, and are currently working on this for future improvements.

As for the Luggage Room, please be assured that we are aware and alert on this at all times. All luggages are tagged accordingly, and also with the help of CCTV, we can assure you that your luggages are in safe hands. We sometimes leave guest alone in the luggage room as we wanted to provide some privacy, without looking as though we are rushing or hurrying them out. I have also discussed this issue with my reception team, we will try to make a few changes, thank you for raising your concerns and letting us know.

Once again, thank you for choosing to stay with us while visiting the island. It is our pleasure to have had you with us.

Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

The Fave hotel has the potential to be the best "budget" hotel in Cenang. It is in a similar range to Premier Inn and in a very good location, just off the strip but only 10 mins walk to lots of bars and restaurants.

We thought long and hard about where to stay n Langkawi as there are hardly any hotels in between £50 and £250 range. I.e - it's either very cheap or very expensive. We eventually opted on the Fave due to a combination of cost and the knowledge we had a car so would be able to travel to different beaches everyday but also had restaurants and bars in our doorstep if we needed them.

The Fave - The positives.

Price - £50 a room in high season
Breakfast - adequate with coffee, juice, egg station, toast, etc as well as Asian options
Location - 10 mins walk to beach, 10 mins to bars, etc
Pool area - clean and functional
Bar - cheap drinks in happy hour
Beach towels given complimentary
Friendly staff but laid back as hell - that's just the old Malayan culture in them though so has to be accepted.

The Fave - negatives.

Rooms were by no means clean, floors never mopped, dusty and needed a good scrub.
Towels - old and tired generally. Old staining some days. We asked the ones they left to be changed almost everyday and we're not picky
Noisy - no discipline with guests. Regularly Rowdy during early hours.
Bed sheets - see towels!
No storage/drawers in rooms. Frustrating when we would liked to have unpacked.

To summarise, a good budget stay in Pentai Cenang and it is so,so close to being a great hotel but lacks attention to detail on cleanliness.

Incidentally, we checked out of the Fave one day early to stay at The Danna Hotel for a bit of luxury before we flew home so read my review of that one too!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear pdaboy,

Hello from Fave Hotel Langkawi.

First of all, thanks for choosing to stay with us on your visit to the island. We are glad to know that overall, you had a pleasant stay with us. Also, thank you for sharing the experience of your stay to other readers as well.

Noted on the cleanliness and service remarks you made. I will look into the matter and follow up closely. Please be assured that tardiness is definitely not tolerated by us. Although we are only a 2 star boutique select service hotel, but we strive to be better as per our motto Fun Fresh & Friendly. I will see to it that there will be improvements, should you visit us again in near future.

Once again, thank you for bringing this to our attention as feedbacks helps us on better improvements.

General Manager.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I recently stayed for three nights at FaveHotel over New Years. The hotel was nice but basic, however there were a few basic things that could have been improved.

- Upon booking, we did request a double or queen bed, but were rather given a twin room with two single beds pushed together. Not such an issue if not for the fixed table in the middle of the bed configuration meaning the two single beds had to be pulled out from the wall in order to be pushed together. Not ideal unless you like your pillow covered in whatever was on the dirty floors.

- The water pressure in the shower was good however there was no hot water. I think I may have had only one hot shower my entire stay.

- The breakfast provided was appalling. The tables were not adequately stocked with cutlery and it was an effort to request any. Things would run out at the breakfast bar and not be replenished until 15/20 minutes later. On one morning, the entire breakfast bar was packed up by 10:30am although they state that breakfast is available to guests until 11am.

- The ‘VIP Spa’, I enquired one morning at the reception desk as to whether I would be able to make an appointment for the spa. The receptionist didn’t seem particularly interested in my request and advised that I would need to call them. I advised that this was not possible as I was travelling from overseas with no phone and asked if she could please make the booking for me. The answer was no – I would need to speak with them directly. No problems! I then asked what time they opened so I could go ask. I was given the response of “I don’t know… Maybe 12 or 1…” so unhelpful. When the spa finally opened I went over to ask about whether I could get a facial, body scrub and pedicure. I was told that they didn’t have any staff that could do any of the services. I’m not entirely sure they could offer anything at all.

All in all, it was a reasonable stay however improvements should be made. I would like to make mention of the lady who worked at the tourism office though, she was lovely and helpful and I think if all the staff would follow her lead, the standards of the hotel would greatly improve.

Dear SeonGriffin,

Thank you for choosing Fave Hotel as your preferred hotel during your visit to Langkawi.
I am glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay and definitely have noted on your kind feedbacks to us.

For bed configurations, its availability can only be confirmed upon check-in. I have noted on your remark on the bedside table and have already discussed with our Housekeeping on the adjustments. Our maintenance team had also fixed the malfunction on the water pressure on the First floor. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

As for your comment on our cutleries, I have already brought this to the attention of my F&B team. I am sorry for the inconveniences caused, and please be informed that we are already working on improvements. Our breakfast buffet starts from 7AM to 10.30AM.

Regarding to the VIP spa, I am sorry my receptionists were not able to answer you as the spa was just recently attached to us and their operation hours varies on a daily basis. We could not make the booking for you, as we are unsure on the packages offered by them. However, I apologize if our receptionists made you felt unhelpful, we will definitely work on being more Fun Fresh & Friendly.

Overall, I would like to thank you for your honest feedbacks and for bringing these issues to our attention as it would definitely help us on improvements. Thank you very much and I hope you would choose us on your next visit still.

General Manager.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

The staff is good. 5minutes walk to tengah beach. Clean room. Overall very recommended for couple or family travellers. We joined the new year's eve 2013 buffet dinner. Not quite crowded but the staff can entertained all the guess. The food is also good.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
FaveCenangLangkawi, General Manager at favehotel Cenang Beach - Langkawi, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Calven W,

Thank you for your time on the review. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Many thanks for strongly recommending us to other readers, we appreciate your kind words very much. I am also glad to know that you enjoyed the New Year Eve's dinner. Thank you for your support and encouragement, and we will definitely work to improve better in the future.

Till then, see you again.

Dian Pramono

Been to favehotel Cenang Beach - Langkawi? Share your experiences!