“Rooms were OK, the service was terrible though!” 3 of 5 stars

De Baron Resort Langkawi
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Bandar Baru, Langkawi 07000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #56 of 124 Langkawi B&B and Inns
Bangalore, India
“Rooms were OK, the service was terrible though!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

We had made 2 separate bookings for our stay at De Baron Resort, Langkawi. The first booking was for 3 nights (21 to 24 Dec). We made some changes to our plan since the original booking, decided to stay an extra night in Langkawi and hence the second booking for an additional night (24 to 25 Dec). Both the rooms were of the same type, Standard Sea View. Ideally, the front office should have checked me into the same room for all the 4 nights irrespective of my 2 separate vouchers since I had booked the same type of room, or so I thought!

So, prior to us boarding the evening flight to Langkawi from Penang, I call the hotel to inform them of my late arrival, one of the lady answers and acknowledges, she confirms that they show my booking as prepaid and my late arrival should not be a problem! (should have noted her name, my bad that I didn't!). So, we arrive pretty late, around 11 PM and there is a lone gentleman in the front office, hand him both my vouchers, he taps his keyboard a couple times, glances into the monitor, checks out a couple receipts and 5 minutes later, picks out a receipt with my name and a big cross across it and tells me that my booking was Cancelled, YEAH!! Apparently, looks like the lady I spoke with earlier put a cross against my receipt, wonder why she did that!

I was taken aback and tell him I had just phoned and was confirmed of my booking by a lady earlier, after the initial shock and a semi-heated argument later, he does check me in but only until the 24th (the first booking). He refuses to check me in for the 24th night from the 2nd voucher and tells me I HAVE to check out on the 24th by 12 Noon and check in later into a different room, he refused to even listen to my argument of why I had to change rooms in the first place. Tired, i decided to take it up with the staff the next day.

Next morning, another staff at the Front Office, same story. They simply refuse to check me in all the way until the 25th, they tell me it is not possible and I have to check out and check in again. Why would any sane person check out at 12 Noon and wait until 3PM the same day to check in into a similar room? I can understand if the room types were different, but they weren't! Am quite sure this would not have happened in any other 3 star hotel/resort!

Anyway, I finally managed to get them to check me into the same room for the additional night as well but only after I escalated the matter to the management. Throughout, none of the staff were apologetic of their actions at all, they were clearly wrong in asking me to check out and check in again! Maybe a simple Sorry would have made a difference for the better! Nevertheless, the experience had left a bitter taste in my mouth already!

The rooms are just basic, nothing fancy, I was quite pleased with the quality of the room for the price I paid though. They were very spacious, both the room & the bathroom was spacious and clean! The bed was comfortable, the linen and the towels were clean, no complaints with housekeeping either, we did not order room service so cannot comment on the service there!

However, the breakfast here is a disaster! In our 4 days, the menu for breakfast had not changed at all, same dishes over all the 4 days placed in exactly the same order! There is absolutely no option for vegetarians, my wife is a veggie! She had to make do with just bread, fruits and juice! The service at breakfast was equally as terrible as that offered by the front office staff too! If you find a couple dishes empty, do not bother asking for a re-fill because the waiters and the waitresses don't really care! We were so frustrated with breakfast after the first 2 days that we didn't even bother going anywhere near their restaurant during the rest of our stay!

Drive down to Almaz Restaurant nearby, you will not regret their Roti Canai's and absolutely mouth watering dosa options for breakfast! :-)

I will not rate this hotel highly because of their very poor service, I will not stay here again and will definitely not recommend it to friends or family.

Also, Kuah where this hotel is located is a pretty boring place. It's a good 15-20kms away from Pentai Cenang which is the most happening place in Langkawi! If you're a tourist, you're better off staying at one of the hotels/resorts in Pentai Cenang.

Room Tip: Get the SEA VIEW, only consolation of staying here!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011 via mobile

The hotel has got a pretty good location, being close to the main town centre and the tourist centre jetty which are both within walking distance. The rooms are basic , clean albeit building standards which are below par. 'Save Cost' must have been the mantra drummed into the hotel staffs' mindset. With the hot weather in Langkawi, the staff failed to switch the fans and airconditioning on for lunch service at the dinning area. At breakfast, the only spoons and forks are available. Table knives are on special request. Asked why aren't knives available, I was told that it is not necessary to use knives at breakfast. And again when asked how do I cut my slice of bread, I was told to use my hands. Food served are to avoid one going into starvation, and not to satisfy any culinary expectations.

• Stayed November 2011
Fleetwood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

This is a great place quite new [18 month approx] friendly staff good food and great location for town and ferry. Rooms are Large and Bathroom with Shower only but spacious. On our last trip April/May 2011 12 night stay, the place is expanding with an addition across the road.Lovely location as it is on the bay side and has spectaculars Sunset views. No beach but a beautiful new Boardwalk with sun loungers to relax and watch the boats.
The main reason for returning so many times is the staff and management who will do anything to make your stay satisfactory. It will soon be September and time for a return visit!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Taiping, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

we travel to langkawi at 26th of june for 4 day 3 nights, just finish my bath and i already cant wait to write my review about de baron resort , which me n my girl friend stay for 3 days 2 nights there. we really enjoy our stay there, we book a standard sea view room. the room is very spacious, and the views is perfect especially at sunset time, u can see a lot of boats parking there. a king size bed,full hd 32 inch lcd tv and electronic safe box all come with the room. the wifi speed is also spectacular. Location of the hotel is great too, 20 minute to cenang beach, and 10minutes to kuah town.
there are some great restaurant nearby too, u can pay a visit to WAN THAI,which serve mouth watering thai cuisine, and also do not miss water garden hawker center who offer chinese seafood cuisine, and the price is reasonable and affordable.
the room at de baron is very clean ,all their staffs are very friendly and helpful, the reception only takes 5 minutes to check me in compare to my last nights stay at berjaya resort which took 2 hours to check me in and the room is totally not what you imagine from their official site gallery photo( 5 star hotel but 0 star service).
also need to mention that the breakfast buffet from de baron is also good . although is just a simple malaysia style food , but they change it every day and is hot and tasty.
for the price i pay (150 ringgit malaysia) .i am sure i is very well worth. this is the hotel i want to stay again whenever i visit langkawi again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

De Baron is in a fairly good location, not too far from the Jetty and Eagle Square. Rooms facing the sea would definitely be preferable to the one we had (some noise from construction work taking place opposite the main entrance when we were there). Room was very clean and beds extremely comfortable and there are pleasant gardens and a swimming pool. However, it represents fairly good value for money and serves an excellent breakfast buffet (containing both traditional Malay dishes and Western ones, plus fruit etc.) which varies from day to day.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Been to De Baron Resort Langkawi? Share your experiences!