“I wouldn't advice anyone to stay here” 1 of 5 stars

D'Coconut Hill Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Gunung Raya, Langkawi, Malaysia   |
Ranked #86 of 100 Hotels in Langkawi
Edinburgh
“I wouldn't advice anyone to stay here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Like the last reviewer I did not stay here but visited to see the view which is great . The set up here is very strange looks deserted and I would agree is creepy . It's extremely run down the pool area is awful with exposed electrics etc ,no pool furniture to speak of and looks like it needs a good clean .We looked at the room which I assume is the dinning room it's extremely bare and uninviting.I wouldn't stay there if you paid me and would be highly suspicious of the actual operation of this hotel .

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Farnborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Thankfully we didn't stay here but we went to visit the tower. To be honest I thought the name D'Coconut 'Resort' was a joke until I asked the man at the top of the tower if it was actually a hotel to which he replied yes! The whole area was deserted and the 'hotel' was surrounded by a big metal gate with spikes on, making it look like something out of Alcatraz! From what we saw of the pool it was completely covered by shade and there was no one anywhere near it (and I don't blame them). The journey up to the 'hotel' is a LONG and windy one so you would need a car in order to not be completely stranded.

I cant comment on the inside of the hotel or the service as I didn't stay there but it was so unappealing from the outside that I had to look it up on here in order to believe that people stayed here!

The view from the tower is good but only on a clear day! it is also 10 RN to get up which I personally thought was not worth it but only because it was hazy.

I would not book this hotel in a million years so I felt compelled to write a review to prevent others from making a mistake. Spend a bit more and go somewhere else on this beautiful island.

Room Tip: Not sure there is one?
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Do not go to this hotel! We did not stay here but went up to the adjacent tower to see the views. Afterwards we asked if we could check out the hotel and the security man showed us the way. The place appears to be completely abandoned and I can't imagine how creepy it would be at night. Don't trust any of the positive reviews - they are completely made up and probably from the management to boost ratings. Also, on the way out we asked if the hotel is still renting rooms and the lady at the front counter said yes - we are fully booked! We didn't see a single guest and I can't imagine anyone staying there once they see inside.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Calcutta, West Bengal, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

This property is in a beautiful location on Gurung Raya hill. But we had a terrible experience here.We stayed in this hotel for two nights. On the third morning we woke up at 6 by a missed phone call and discovered the door of our room is wide open and my handbag containing our passports and cash worth Us $ 1000 was missing. While searching my handbag my husband received the phone call again and this time a male voice instructed him over phone to go to toilet. My husband rushed to the toilet near swimming pool and found my bag there. The thieves returned us the passports only. And the phone call was coming from my stolen blackberry.
The most interesting part is that , on the previous evening when my husband asked a staff of the hotel, called Nai NAi about the direction of the toilet , he showed him the toilet near swimming pool. Though there are a number of toilets in the hotel premises, the caller indicated the same toilet which he showed my husband last night. On inquiry we came to know that Nai nai is not a staff of this hotel , but an associate of a staff called Jo. Still he was allowed to serve us food and to bring luggage inside our room.
It is also to be noted that at the time of theft, we were the only guests in the entire hotel (me, my husband our child , my sister and her husband) and there were only about five staffs. When we asked the hotel authority to help us , the owner offered us 500 RM, but did not take any initiative to get back the money. We went to the police but that also yielded no result.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

This is from my real experience during my stayed at this hotel. I planned to stay 2 days with my family (including my 2 years old son) but i cant stay even 1 night in this hotel.it took about 30 minutes to arrived to the hotel. The road along the hill is not maintain so we have to drive very carefully as we can see landslides at some of the area at the hill. It because of rain season recently. So after we check-in, we have to walk (quite far) to the room. The room is nice but smelly (smell like long time the room is empty) and the cabinet full with dust.. The room also does not have telephone.This room have the balcony and our room is exactly on the top of swimming pool. The pool is not maintained and there's a lot of leaves in the pool and dirty. Awning structure at balcony also not maintain.
Then in the evening we drived to Kuah town to buy some foods and bring up to the room. At the time we drived up to hill,it's 8pm. The road along the hill dark and silent. So by the time we arrived to the hotel, it's around 8.30pm. There's nobody at reception area.. All is dark.. They even off the lamp at the lobby area. The staff was already locked the main door at lobby and only small door beside is open ( they told us the main door was close at 10pm but they closed it earlier!). At that time i was carried my son as he slept in the car. When we walked to the small door, i can hear sound of tiger! Felt like it near with us! I felt scary and asked my partner and he heard the same. So we walk fast to the room. After reach to our room, my partner go to the balcony to smoke.. He still heard the tiger sound and he get inside back. I told him that i dont feel safe here. We cant even see anybody in this hotel.. So i called number i received from receptionist (got when we checked in) and asked to check out from the hotel. During walk to go to the car, we still can hear tiger roar and snort..scary! The receptionist at Chenang at that time and asked if we can meet there. So, we met at chenang to return the room key and i get my deposit there.. At night we went to Kuah town and check in to another hotel..luckily there is available room for us..

• Stayed October 2013
Penang Island, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We must say that D'Coconut Hill Resort is a nice place to visit and stay, as last 2 weeks we drove up to Gunung Raya around 7pm, we have spectacular view of Langkawi Islands during Sunset time and we can even see at the far side Cable Car station at peak of another mountain. The whether is cooling and calm, saw few cyclist cycled up to Gunung Raya and hanging around in the resort and having dinner there. Beside the nice scenery, cool whether and nice place to stay, we would like to thanks D'Coconut Hill Resort's staff and management led by Pei Pei for their kindness and hospitality as we managed to get back our backpack due to our careless; the backpack was left in restaurant of D'Coconut Resort and we only realized it when we left Gunung Raya, And one thing for sure, my son will be very happy to know that we have gotten our backpack, as there were 2 T-shirts inside that backpack that we bought for him during our Langkawi trip....... Cheah............

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

When we were driving up the hill , it was after rain and fog surrounded us. It was a good time to challenge the driving skill. And of course it was a bit scary and stressful. After having the breathtaking view from the tower, it was worthwhile. If you appreciate nature and spectacular view, then it is a good option. The room is lovely, the mattress is comfortable to rest on but this hotel needs some improvement and maintenance.. The balcony of our room has a door which could not be opened. It was a waste which we could not enjoy the scenic view. It was cold which we did not have to turn on the air-conditioner and we would be happy if slippers were prepared. The staff is helpful and polite

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to D'Coconut Hill Resort? Share your experiences!