“concept is there but execution isnt” 2 of 5 stars

D'Coconut Hill Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Gunung Raya, Langkawi, Malaysia   |
Ranked #81 of 98 hotels in Langkawi
kl
“concept is there but execution isnt”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

first of all service was below par,location is a bit to the top,the weather cause the stairs to be slippery and allot of insects but the rooms were not bad and if your lucky to see the view its wonderful

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

28 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Burke, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

We drove up to Gunung Raya and went up to the lookout tower. The employees were idling and smoking in the lobby and it stinks. I asked for directions to use bathroom and got a vague reply. I found it at all in the cafeteria which is dirty and dusty, with dead bugs and cobwebs everywhere. I quickly use the bathroom and ran out. Doors were missing from hinges and broken glasses, the place stinks and dead bugs and garbage everywhere. The place desperately needs to be torn down.
Do not pay RM10 to go up to the lookout tower. It is not worth it and very disgusting.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Malmo, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Stayed here for two nights since the pictures seemed nice and the only review wasn't that bad. Though before we departed for Langkawi two not-so-good reviews had arrived and gave us some bad vibes about the hotel.
Wasn't that bad as some people painted it though.
Biggest downside is that it's really in the middle of nothing, it's about 30-40 minutes of serpentine-roads. The staff tried to look helpful but they didn't mind telling us that the pool and the other restaurant was closed for maintenance without any compensation whatsoever. And without a pool you really cant do much up on the top as the hotel is the only thing here. But the staff just laughed it all away like some of our other minor complains.
Anyway, I would advise a hotel somewhere else as you are really stuck up here. Go here for the view from the tower but then go back down again with the same cab.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

Recommend only for travelers who wants to be isolated. This so called resort is very very far from happening places in Langkawi. It takes at least an hr to reach this place from airport.
Once we reached there, we realized that if we will stay here we will not be able to cover sightseeing spots. We requested the staff if they can shift us to another hotel in Kuwah town. They did recommend us to go to "Langkawi budget Inn" and it was so pathetic, that I cannt explain here.
Overall not a recommended place in Langkawi. Better to stay in Kuwah or in Cenang.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

So sorry I booked before the most recent reviews where written...

Horrid in every conceivable detail apart from the view (which you can visit and view for free)... I can't go through it all because I'll be writing all night but I can think of no positives. I've never taken it upon myself to bother writing reviews but for god's sake, go else where! I walked out and went to the White Lodge Chalet that was half the price and a million times better.

This place belongs in a horror movie!!! On complaining, the manager told me I'd have to call Adoga in Thailand....... I just left and got on with my holiday......

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Billingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

Where do I start?? On arrival everything seemed to be ok but as we checked in and made our way to the room things began to unfold, the place had an eerie feel about it due to the low lying cloud and it set the scene for a very creepy 24 hours!!

At first glance the room looked well aesthetically, but on closer inspection there was mould in the drawers, the fridge, on the walls, the bed, everywhere! We barely slept that night because the smell from the pillows was so bad!

The food selection and quality was absolutely terrible, there was one option for dinner.. pizza. For breakfast there was no selection, they just brought out an omelette, my partner doesn't like them so she had to make do with the side salad! For dessert on the evening they managed to muster chicken nuggets and chips, and there was one option for dessert... TINNED FRUIT!!

Although most of the hotel was in a desperate state of disrepair it was still accessible to guests, there was mould everywhere, doors hanging off hinges, dirt & faeces on the stairs and in the corridors. There were people living amongst all of that, which I think were the young hotel staff, and it was just one big unpleasant experience. I got the impression that this would have been a lovely hotel 20+ years ago, but not now it's not fit to cater for guests anymore and is in desperate need of an overhaul!

The view from the top is undeniably fantastic when the cloud breaks, but don't hang around once you've seen the view!!

I think the last review summed it up in the first line.... this is not a hote'!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
marlborough, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

I would not even class this as a hotel. Despite booking via credit card through Asia Rooms, they demanded cash on arrival at premises. Breakfast was stone cold - straight out of fridge, obviously cooked the day before. Rooms dirty, air-con not working. Despite the write up, this is an old and VERY tired resort, even the walkway between the tower and rooms is dangerous, the wood is broken, the place is a deathtrap. This place is a 20 minute drive off the road up a hill - great views but not worth 10% of the price charged. On first night, we went out, returning at 11:30pm. The whole place was in complete darkness, luckily I had a torch on my phone, my partner was terrified. I reported this place to the Malaysian Tourist Board. Avoid at all costs but do go there just to see the views !

Room Tip: Pick another hotel