“It's a ferry not a cruise liner” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Ferries/ Boats
Attraction Details
London, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“It's a ferry not a cruise liner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Lets get with the program here. This is a ferry to get from A to B, not a cruise liner with a sun deck, swimming pool or cocktail waiter service. What do people expect for RM60!? I find some of the reviews on here unbelievable!

The ferries leave at 8:15 and 8:30 in the morning from Penang (Swetenam Pier) to Langkawi and the crossing takes 3 hours. The 8:15am stops briefly on route so is probably 5 minutes slower. The boat we were on was comfortable (both the lower and upper deck-I spent time in both) with a tv screen playing an English movie. The lower deck is slightly more claustrophobic than the upper but I refer to my earlier comment......it's a ferry, not a cruise liner. It is no more claustrophobic than an aeroplane cabin, in fact slightly roomier.

The ferry has no outside deck area to sit and get some fresh air and no onboard sales of drinks/ snacks which are about the only disappointments of the whole thing. Bring your own food and drink.

Boats have clearly been upgraded since the reviewer below decided to wait 2 years to write his "I'm gong to drown" review.

Book your tickets a day in advance if you want to avoid queues, etc-there are about 8 agents selling tickets just before you get to the pier in Penang (by the clock tower).

Bear in mind that the ferry crosses the sea. The sea has waves and low and behold can be bumpy. If you don't like boats and can afford it, fly!

Shanghai, China
5 attraction reviews
“Book in advance for this ferry during holiday times”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The ferry to Langkawi from Penang leaves at 8.30am and 8.45am only. It takes 2.5 hours. But book in advance if you want to take this ferry during holiday times. If the ferry is full you have 2 options: 1. Fly to Langkawi - air asia and fire fly offer cheapish flights, but still over 150MR each.
2. Drive 1.5hours to Kuala Kedah and take the ferry to Langkawi from there. It is a 1.5 ferry ride and the boats leave every 30minutes. But the ferry will also be busy and you may have to wait for another 1.5 hours till you can get one as they only sell counter tickets and not pre booked tickets. The ferry terminal in Kuala Kedah is madness and there is no real signage. Best option = book in advanced for the ferry to Langkawi.

Aurora, Colorado
28 attraction reviews
“It is just a ferry aka "cattle boat"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I wanted to give this a "Poor" rating, but it got me where I was going (Penang) and I chose to go on it, so figured I should not be overly negative and complain too much.
First of all, I did not try to book on-line.. I really wanted the 2:30 one way Ferry to Penang so as to get there in daylight. However, apparently it must be the THING TO DO to come and go from Langkawi, because when I went the day before to the ticket counter the 2:30pm was sold out. So I was stuck with the 5:30pm. So, my advice to you is either get it online or if you are there in Langkawi and want to go to Penang, go to the ticket Kiosk a few days before to get the actual Ferry you want.
Once you arrive at the harbor, if you use one of the trolleys, someone will collect 1 Ringitt from you. You go down to the waiting area and you will get your ticket endorsed and then you can push your trolly all the way to the ramp. Now this is where the fun begins. The ramp is about 1 foot wide...I am sorta kidding, but it looks like that and when you are trying to get even a carry on 22" suitcase on board, you CANT!!.. U have to walk sideways, and then hope someone helps you get over the 1 foot high "step-over" at the door, If someone actually takes your bag, it will then be literally THROWN down the stairs to the holding area...So if you on the ferry first, you may as well resign yourself that you will get off the boat last as your stuff will be at the bottom.
I'm not sure if it the people (nationalities) that were with me on my trip, but OMG, they push and shove and have NOOOOOO manners. One guy as we were disembarking, I am standing at the aisle, he literally puts his hand out, pushes me back into the row and sits down on the end seat!! And even after giving him the dirtiest look and gesturing him to get up, he paid me no mind and just continued to sit there. I really did not want to pick a fight with him and just backed further into the row as he was pretty dirty and smelly!!!
No food available on board, per se, just coffee and snacks, so if you know you will get hungry-bring food with you.
As with anywhere in Malaysia, as a lady, always have Personal Hygiene Cloths in your bag, as there is usually never any toilet paper. And remember to throw any paper used in a toilet in the trash can!!! Some establishments do not even have the "Peri wash jet spray" that you will see in most places--you may find a bucket of water with a plastic bowl and THAT is your peri wash... so if you don;t want to do that: CARRY YOUR WIPES!!!
On a whole, I took all of the experience(s) in stride. I went to Malaysia to experience everything from plane to ferry to bus (took BUS from Penang to Kuala Lumpur), so if you just keep in mind this is a means to an end..you will be okay.

Visited January 2013
KL, Malaysia
“Hot Tourist Destination with a very poor ferry service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Langkawi had been one of Malaysia's top tourist destination for both locals and foreigners. However, despite being such a hot location, the transportation and service to get to the destination is very poor. In my recent trip during a peak season in Feb 2013, these are my experiences:-
1) Very long queue at the jetty ticketing counter. There were only 3 counters operational and I
had to wait for more than 1 hour from the road under blazing hot sun till I could purchase
the ticket. There were also people selling tickets illegally at higher price.
2) No proper management of queue to the boats. Everyone was pushing each other to get to
the ferry. Children and elderly are included and being pushed.
3) Lack of places to sit and there were no airconds or fans in the jetty building, making the
place very hot and stuffy.
4) There were overlaps in the ticket numbers, causing a delay in departure.

Penang Island, Malaysia
5 attraction reviews
“Penang to Langkawi by ferry”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We did a one day trip to langkawi from penang and decidedto try the ferry instead of flights. We booked the tickets online and there are two timings available. 8:15 and 8:30 am. We took the earlier one. Its a bit cramped with decks in he lower deck. You cannot see much outside as the windows are not clear. An English movie is played for entertaintment but thats about it. Its no cruise liner so dont expect food and drinks to be served. I had read some reviews that indicated a lot of sea sickness though we did not have or see any such incidents. But there are sickbags kept on the boat. Even my daughter who is prone to severe travel sickness did not exoerience any discomfort. There are no decent toilets but just sort of a hole in boat. so pls avoid it.

Overall it was a decent trip but a bit boring as it took about 3 hours to reach. The return trip also has two timings 2:00pm and 5 pm and is the same duration. There is no separate area to stow luggage and the big ones are kept near the entrance which could seem like a potential hazard incase of evacuation. Worth trying once for the experience of it. But can be tough if you are with frisky and active kids.

Visited November 2012