“Peaceful & serene” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fishing Bay Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mersing
Fishing Bay Resort
You added Fishing Bay Resort to your Saves list
Mersing, Malaysia   |
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Mersing
Buckinghamshire, England
“Peaceful & serene”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

Ideal place to stay if you want time out to relax , unwind and eat delicious freshly cooked food. The beach is good, swimming in the sea is okay but the water is not as blue as we would have liked. The infinity pool is clean and not too deep.We stayed in one of the chalets which was clean and the beds very comfortable. The only slight problem was a frog in the bathroom which was a regular visitor. On the upside of being so close to nature we saw a couple of fireflies, a monitor lizard and a hornbill sitting on the swaying coconut tree outside our chalet. Two to three days was enough for us as there is not much else to do but unwind. We left with lovely memories.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
johor
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

One of the reason I went to this resort was just to relax my mind and that was what I got !The place was secluded with their own beach and one thing I noticed was that it was clean and well maintained.I can see staff clearing rubbish from the garden and the beach all the time.
We stayed in a family room which was actually 2 rooms with connecting door. The room was ok except it is not facing the sea, instead facing the hill .I would suggest you take the sea facing room if you want to book in this chalet.Eventhough there were some defect here and there like the toilet door need mending but since we were enjoying other things we didnt mind all those things..
The sea water was not clear at all and we prefer to swim in the swimming pool instead.It was quite comfortable since the pool is situated at the end of the lawn further up from the eating area(so you wont feel uncomfortable people staring at you while you swim)and it is just beside the beach too.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and that actually really made our holiday more enjoyable.
My only comment is that the food was terrible...from experience food always make a huge difference between a hotel and a chalet.In a hotel the food are well presented and look so delicious eventhough they are not really that delicious.They should really improve on that!!!
I would say I enjoyed my stay here....but would only recommend those with kids and those who want to have a family day.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

I heard about this resort from a friend and we decided to try it ourself.
The moment i drove into the resort my noisy kids where silent... mesmerize by the breath taking view. Out of this world.. it took few moment before we start talking again... So serene so peaceful ... so out of this world..... paradise on earth.... wow

I am a hotelier myself and have travel around but never expected a place like this in Johor ....

I was swept of my feet
The place is magical.... see it ... and you will know what i mean

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Johor
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

I stumbled upon this resort on the internet and coincidentally i was looking for a getaway. I took the deluxe chalet with 2 queen size beds, as I've got 2 kids. The chalet was comfortable, clean shower with only a bar of soap, which i don't mind because we always carry our own toiletries. Got a few insects in our chalet, but hey this is just next to nature, what do you expect? Beach is small, not the white sandy beaches type but clean and well kept by the cleaners. Not much wave, let alone the water being choppy as one of the reviews had described. Safe for the kids to swim, even my 16months old baby girl loves it. The staff are friendly, let us check in without make any payment because I didn't have cash with me and no credit card. Nothing much to do except cycling, which the bike can be rented at 5rm per hour. But this is a getaway, away from all the hustle bustle.
The food is nothing to shout about. Simple buffet breakfast and we went out for other meals.
I won't say this is a great resort or lodge or whatever but if you want peace and comfort, then give it a try! Unless comfort to you means 5 star luxury....

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

Fishing Bay Resort was recommended to us and although we had our doubts over the facilities there we decided to give it a try. What a mistake that was. On arrival full payment was made and then we were pointed in the general direction of our chalet. It was a Superior Room but was very basic with the only saving grace being that the bed was clean. The room was dark and dingy with poor lighting which may heve been a blessing as you couldn't see how delapitated it was. The unit housing the TV had doors which fell off as we tried to open them. There is no wardrobe with the only hanging space being a rack next to the shower room door. The shower room itself was partly tiled and housed an electric shower which did not heat the water. Basic toiletries of soap and shampoo were supplied but no hair dryer. The room had air con but it vibrated so badly that it was difficult to sleep with it running. Tea and coffee making facilities were there and a very usefull mini fridge.

The resort is located in a small bay with about 150 metres of beach front between 2 hills. The most of the beach is in front of the resort and is clean with nice sand however about 50 metres to the south is public beach and was strewn with litter spoiling an otherwise nice scene. There is a swimming pool in the centre of the resort. The restaurant has a very basic menu and as a word of warning to any western guests who enjoy alcohol the resort does not sell it. However when we had dinner (a BBQ which was good value) one of the staff asked if we would like any beer as the boss was in town and would bring it back with him. We accepted the offer and were sold cans of Tiger at RM9 a can.

The resort was full the night of our stay as it was a public holiday and the normal price per room was increased accordingly. We paid RM250 and feel it was very poor value for money. It is not somewhere we would recommend to anyone (not even backpackers) and we certainly will never return.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2006

I wld like to share my experience to all you travellers & maybe.... do a little justice to Fishing Bay Resort. I almost did not make it to this resort, no thanks to one of you who wrote in abt how the resort sucks.

Well, then again everyone is entitled to their own opinion so.. this is my opinion.

I have actually heard stories from some of my office colleagues abt how nice and romantic the place is so I check abt it on tripadvisor. When I came across "Fishing Bay Resort sucks" I was put off & decided not to go.

Last August I heard abt the resort again from another family friend & again they told me how relaxing & nice the place is. Just to satisfy my curiosity I took the courage to convince my wife to go for a short weekend break. After all it's only abt 3 hr drive.

Alas, my wife & I had a wonderful & relaxing weekend break & we dread going back to work the next day. Wish we could stay longer. The service was so personal & friendly.Thanks to Jamal,Ila, Ayeed & Zack for taking care of us & spoiling us!!

Well, the food was not too bad ....the nasi lemak was great tho' anyway the food sure was plenty, I myself had 3 helpings for breakfast...no need to go out for more food or buy honeydew...it was all in the buffet.

I think it's all abt expectation.Sorry to say this but maybe you who was not happy, expected a 5 star resort for SGD38.00 with 3 meals?? I think SGD1.50 for 2 slices of honeydew is what we normally pay here so how much cheaper you want it to be in a resort in Malaysia?

So, for those travellers who's never been to this resort. I suggest that you do. I had a great time & I'm sure you will too.

But then again don't expect too much. It's still just a small kampung resort but for the price you pay it's worth the relaxation over the weekend.

Good luck trying & just have fun !!!
I

• Liked — Rooms are clean & service is very personal
  • Tips/Secrets — Just go have fun & relax
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Malaysia, Singapore, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2006

It was a trial trip for us to the resort on February 2006. We were not sure of the place cause we've never heard of this resort & not so famous. We just got married last year December & when we decide to take a short break we opt for the " HONEYMOON PACKAGE" offered by the resort during the NATAS FAIR.

The rate was very reasonable considering what we got in the package with breakfast in bed, candle light dinner & all PLUS traditional massage too!

Great 1st impression. We were greated by friendly & smiling staffs with welcome drink. ..They were actually very professional. But the smiles were enough for us.Honestly,we actually didn't expect much from a small village resort like tht at least for the price we paid. It was a promotion price but we now still get the same price for being a regular.

We were given the room closest to the beach. It was so close we could hear the sound of the waves. It was sooo relaxing!

To top it up, just our luck, it was a full moon when we were there so the candle light dinner was ever so romantic. We actually don't even remember what we ate that night but I think it was great!

The staffs were extremely friendly and the service given were so personal. They made feel us so special. We felt like we were really on our honeymoon!

We really like the place so much because of how they made us feel. Actually last week was our 3rd time there & we sure will be going back again. We now feel like we have a second home in Malaysia.

Stayed August 2006

Been to Fishing Bay Resort? Share your experiences!