I've been twice now to Sea Gypsy, including most recently during the Chinese New Year weekend. We stayed in a chalet near the beach. It's a very relaxing place with lots of outdoor activities and/or a good place to wind down and relax while reading a book. The food is not fancy, but is good quality home-style cooking. At times they ran out but it was soon refilled after a short wait. The bar and dining areas are pleasant to hang around. We did a kampong walk with Richard, which was great to see more of the island. The accommodation is comfortable, although some may be put off by the cold showers and occassional wildlife (e.g. small gecko, ants, ...), lack of air con. But I think most of the clientele understand the Sea Gypsy style/philosophy, which is made clear on the informative website, so it should be within expectations. One negative on this trip was the amount of litter washing up on the beach. This was perhaps difficult to manage as it is still the end of monsoon season, but it did detract from the great beach setting to have some many plastic bottles, etc around the place. Overall I would recommend Sea Gypsy, especially for expat families staying in Singapore who seem to be the predominant guests. However it might be better to avoid monsoon season e.g. February, as the seas were a bit rough on the journey to Sibu, and diving/snorkelling is also difficult.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Easy access form Singapore or Johor Bahru Airport with our own non stop direct airport transfers. Complete relaxation on an undeveloped island within a Marine Park. Delicious food, fully stocked bar which never closes for drinkers, amazingly beautiful safe almost private beach. Scuba Diving, Snorkeling, Excursions, Nasty Activities, Sailing, Paddle Skiing, Boogie Boarding, Games, Beach Volleyball, and freshly baked Scones every afternoon! Special rates for kids up to 17 years of age. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Sea Gypsy Village Resort And Dive Base
- Sea Gypsy Village Resort & Dive Base Hotel Mersing
- Sea Gypsy Village Mersing
- Sea Gypsy Village Resort & Dive Base Mersing, Malaysia - Johor