“It's really not too bad! In fact, a good stay.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pulai Springs Resort

Save Saved
You added Pulai Springs Resort to your Saves list
Pulai Springs Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   20 km, Jalan Pontian Lama | Skudai, Johor Bahru 81110, Malaysia   |
Ranked #26 of 77 hotels in Johor Bahru
Singapore, Singapore
“It's really not too bad! In fact, a good stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Before I booked this hotel, I must say that I was half afraid as the reviews were mixed, some ranging of horrible to commendable. But I felt that if I went there with an open mind, it might not be so bad. And so it was!

I booked a 3-bedroom, (Room 0340), and it had a max capacity of 6 pple, though we have only 4 of us. Hence, it was comfy for all of us, as there were 4 beds: 1 king, 1 queen, 2 singles. Very comfy.

Contrary to what others have [negatively] commented, these were what I experienced which was commendable!

1) we had complimentary wifi right at check-in. We didnt have to ask. Though the wifi strength was not very strong, it was enough to check facebook, download some emails, and use whatapps. So thumbs up for me! :)
2) Front desk staff were very friendly, and willing to answer some of our queries on food/malls in vicinity. Bell-boy / staff at foyer was very friendly too.
3) Gym and pool was AWESOME! I will give the gym a 5 star rating. Really! Equipment was clean, new and a good range! Drinking water available. Complimentary for guests. Swimming pool too was great!
4) Room itself, yeah.. was kind old furniture. BUT, everything is clean. Beds, linen, bathroom, sink area etc. VERY CLEAN. Very satisfied indeed.
5) Parking space...plentiful. Whole area, very spacious.
6) Lifts security was good. Had to use access card key to get to own level. And it work flawlessly. Very good. No glitches. Only two lifts though, so peak period can be tough on the waiting.
7) Security guards... can be tighter but no complaints. Friendly and 24h surveillance.
8) Water from tap was not yellow. Refrigerator was working in good condition. Aircon was very good and temperature an be adjusted. No insects. No mosquitoes.

What can be improved?
At SGD180/night (because it was a 3-bedroom suite meant for 6 pple), it was considered very cheap and worth the price. [oops, breakfast not included, but if you drive....PLEASE! lots of good local eating areas nearby at low low cost!]
Ahem, so as I was saying... what to improve? If you want to pay such reasonable rates, PLEASE dont expect too much nor complain.

Pray for a good experience, that's all. :D

So, the verdict. 4 stars. And Yes, I do not mind coming back again.

Room Tip: I had room 0340. It was decently clean, though far from lifts. But that's ok.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

357 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed in the 2 bedroom suite with some hesitation after reading the reviews. The suite was spacious and the lay out worked. Plenty of space for a family of 2 adults and 2 children - 5 and 2 year old boys. Bathroom could have been cleaned a little better but was okay. There was a slightly funny smell in the room we couldn't identify. Highlight was definitely the absolutely gorgeous grounds and the new swimming pool. Old swimming pool has seen better days and needed some maintenance work.

Visiting Legoland was our major priority and whilst a decent drive (hotel arranged a metered taxi) it was fine. Far nicer than staying in Johor Bahru itself.

We flew into Changi and caught the bus across the border which was really easy and efficient though the bus we hoped to catch was cancelled which meant a longer wait. Hardly a hardship at Changi. As we'd flown Jetstar the bus was also free which was a nice surprise. Then caught a taxi to Pulai Springs. Overall the experience was fine but not flash. Could be very nice with some maintenance and closer attention to cleaning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Penang, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Hi Frens,
I stayed here for 3 days 2 nights in 1 bedroom suite during my business visit at Skudai area. First of all, I was quite flabbergasted to discover how bad the hotel rooms was maintained. The rooms was smelly, furnitures was old, noisy aircond, dirty bed sheets, poor wifi connection and worst breakfast are just some of the list of issues i have noted here. There are even more which i dont have time to write down.

The rooms pictures as published in thier websites are not true at all. It may be taken during the opening of the hotel.

Do not ever consider to stay here until the full renovation took place in this hotels. In fact, I'm not sure if the renovation which claimed by the staff is real or not.

For me, I would suggest the hotel management and relevant authorities to close down this hotel until the full renovation take place as none of the available rooms now are fit to be occupied.

Given an option, I won't stay or suggest anyone of you to stay in this hotel until the full renovation has been done.

Don't waste you money and spoil your holiday by staying in this worst hotel!

Room Tip: None of rooms are good to stay!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed in a 2-room suite. It was spacious, but air con was a bit noisy, though it was powerfully cold. We had a smooth check-in. Staff were friendly too. There was even follow up call when we requested extra towels. The surrounding is quiet and relax. Huge Supermarkets are within driving distance.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
PulaiSpringsResortJB, General Manager at Pulai Springs Resort, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for spending some time to give us a positive and kind feedback on your recent stay with us.

It’s really pleasing that you remarked the spacious rooms you stayed in, smooth check-in and noticed our friendly and helpful staff during your stay. Certainly we have passed this on to our employees.

I would also like to take this opportunity to share with you that we always strive to do our best in delivering exceptional services to all our guests. It has always been our main aim to offer our guests an entirely satisfactory service at the Pulai Springs Resort.

I am also delighted to know that our staffs took the initiative to make a follow-up call just to ensure that you got your extra towels needed.

I would like share some good news with you too. We are now in the midst of a refurbishment project especially on on guest rooms at Cinta Ayu. The newly refurbished rooms with fresh vibrant colours and tones are expected to be completed by September. We will also be installing new air-conditioning systems.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family here again during your next stays in Johor Bahru and also to experience our new rooms.

Warm Regards,

Tengku Ahmad Faizal
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel after 2 years faithfully choosing Le Grandeur whenever we go for a short stay at Johor. The last time we stayed here was in 2011.

Price - Quite cheap. For $90 per night but without bfast.

Staff - Reception staffs need to smile more and greet visitors. In fact,the room service staff is much more accomodating than the reception staff.

Food - Cheap and delicious.

Room - Jaded and many damages to the furnitures. Bed was too hard. Should change CRT tv to LCD/LED tv.

Wifi - No free wifi..

Will come back here again if the price remains cheap and only for 1 night stay duration.

• Stayed September 2013
Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

the resort is quite beautiful, i had been there for my lunch with my girlfriend at the best award chinese restaurant today. there are few tables of customer only at the time being including us and we are quite surprised how come a best award restaurant with so less of customer. when we having our dishes we found that our "tao fu" was cooked with a cockroach!!! so we make a complain immediately and the waitress had come to apologized and mention that "tao fu" will not charge in the bill. after few minutes the chef was come to us also, but his apologize and explanation make us feel not satisfied and very disappointed. seem like we are very bad luck to having our lunch over here. when we asked for bill, the waitress told that the bill was FOC. when we making our move from there, there is a chinese guy with glasses which believed is the staff for the restaurant keep apologize and bows severe time to us, then only we feel better , satisfied and accepted his apologized for the above said incident. we feel this staff had perform his job in good and let us feel very comfortable as a customer. kindly look into this matter seriously, don't let us feel that we need to look for the "feng shui" master before we come to your restaurant. thank you very much.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sunshine Coast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Such a pity this hotel is so run down...has wonderful bones, & must have been 5 star in its day. In desperate need of refurbishment, shabby rooms, scruffy & dirty furniture . Dreadful noisy airconditioning, nearly drove us mad! No bedside table on my side of the bed, so no light. No face cloths...don't provide them. Only sachet coffee with crema...my husband's worst! Had to ask for tea bags, toilet roll & tissues. Towels thread bare & stained.
Reception is a scruffy little area, & there are no bell hops, or people to help with luggage.

The surrounding buildings are stunning in their Malaysian style, but lights don't work & shades are crooked & falling apart. Generally in need of TLC.

Cinta Restaurant very scruffy, chipped furniture, & generally looks rather unclean.

Gardens & golf courses look very nice & well maintained.

To sum up ....the photos are very misleading, & must have been taken when the hotel was new.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
PulaiSpringsResortJB, General Manager at Pulai Springs Resort, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and I do apologize that we did not live up to the usual excellent standards that most of reviewers at Tripadvisor talk about. I have made sure to share all of your feedback with our team here at the Resort.

We are truly aware of our shortcomings and that our property needs some refurbishments, especially the rooms. Therefore, I am truly pleased to inform you that we are in the midst of carrying out our reburbishment programme for most of our guest rooms. The programme is scheduled to be completed by end of October.

It is with sincerity that I apologize for not meeting the expectations, but we are also genuinely grateful for the feedback. This has certainly helped us to improve our services to meet the expectations of our guests in the future. I hope this will not deter you from supporting us again and that you will come back to visit us again when our rooms have all been refurbished.

On behalf of my team, we look forward to be given the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort.

Yours truly,

Tengku Ahmad Faizal

Been to Pulai Springs Resort? Share your experiences!