“Maintenance need to be improved” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 24 attractions in Johor Bahru
Type: Golf Courses
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Par-72 36-hole golf course established in 1995, following the design by Peter Dalkeith Scott. Its two courses, Hill Course and Austin Course, lie on different planes. Water hazards are well featured, especially on the Austin Course, where the par-3 17th is the signature hole, with an island green. Other facilities include a hotel and swimming pool.
Johor Bahru
3 attraction reviews
“Maintenance need to be improved”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2007

Originally is 36holes golf course -- Austin Course and Hill Course, 2006 year end serius flood result certain holes damaged and right now open only 27 holes --- Hill 9, Resort 9 and Austin 9.

Course : Narrow & tricky course
Course Maintenance: Poor
Club House: Fair shower good
F&B: Food taste not bad
Swimming pool: OK

APAC
“Golf courses near Singapore”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2007

I have played there often to scape the high prices and the crowd in Singapore. The Hills course will give you a run for your money, while the AUstin course is no gimmie neither. Very good shower and spa facilities in the club house.

If you do not like the woodland crossing and traffic in JB, you can also try other golf courses from the second link such as Palm resort , Palm Villa and the legends near the Senai airport.

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
“Staff not trained to meet 4-star standard.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2007

My husband and I went to stay there for a week from a friend's recommendation. The place is really huge and the hotel interior is tastefully and beautifully designed and decorated. First impression when we entered our room was... wow! it's so, so big! It's literally THE biggest hotel room we've ever seen. It has 2 king-sized beds besides other furniture, so a minimum of 4 people can sleep there. Better still, if you have extra mattresses, I think another 4 can fit in that room without feeling too cramped. And it gets better... it's only RM160.00 a night for 4, plus breakfast for 2. Our friend told us before we reached that the room was so spacious we could even play badminton in the room, and he was telling the truth.

The bathroom too is large and nice, with a bath-tub, a standing shower and a toilet, each in its own separate room.
TV channels are the best I've found so far, with a mix of Malaysian, Singaporean, Indonesian and Western channels. There's always something to watch.

Breakfast area is similarly cozy and facing the green golf-courses, which are pleasant to the eyes. There's no need for air-con 'cos there's always breeze from outside which may compensate for the lousy breakfast.

There's a large swimming pool with winding slide so everyone can have some fun. Children's playground, though, seriously needs improvement and maintenance.

The problem with this hotel, I would say, is rooted in the staff's lack of proper training and professionalism, which then made me question their 4-star label. The receptionists in the first place are unfriendly and hostile. They don't smile, they don't greet you, some won't even look at you when you talk to them. You are not treated like a guest. Whenever someone approaches the reception counter, the look on their faces is like you're mere trouble, giving them more work to do. Finally they may give you what you want, but it takes a lot of patience dealing with their sarcastic look.

The house-keeping staff ain't any better. They're lazy. When we first entered the room, we noticed a layer of dust on all the furniture, which showed that the room is not regularly and properly cleaned, and it surely wasn't cleaned prior to our arriving. Maybe they did mop the floor, but not everything else. Next I found lizard droppings on the window side. After my room was so-called cleaned the next day, the lizard droppings were still there. I had to tell one of them to clean those, and even then she left some behind.

The room floor is not carpeted, it's parquet, and no slippers were provided. But for one whole week, the floor was never mopped, it was only vacuumed, which would work well for the dust, but didn't solve the stickiness at all. Even when we requested for our bathroom floor to be cleaned, cos it got really sticky after couple of days, the lady just told us easily that it had been "cleaned" before we checked in.

There's more... they can hardly speak English, so it was really hard trying to tell them something. One instance was when I called for room-service, the guy who answered the phone said, "This is the kitchen, not room-service." Only the waiter and waitresses are courteous and professional. The rest are hopeless and making your blood boil.

Breakfast is American-style (not buffet), and they served exactly the SAME food everyday, and being Asian, as most of the guests are, by the third day it became a sickening experience eating toast and sausages and egg. Buffet breakfast is only once a week, and it's plain. However, the food's really good if you order from their menu.

Unlike other hotels which usually require a deposit of RM100.00 -200.00 for your whole stay, this hotel charged to my credit card RM300.00 A DAY and they didn't bother telling us this upon check-in. We had to know it from the credit card company that thoughtfully called us. And it got worse -- upon check-out, they told us that they'd only credit us back the excess money after 2 weeks. We ended up having to make phone-calls here and there before they finally "figured out" that what they told us was ridiculous.

As a conclusion (thanks for reading my long story!), stay for 2-3 days to avoid all the problems I faced and make complaints for the bad service you receive. I made the mistake of keeping quiet. If you're planning on a longer stay, save yourself a headache and find other hotels closer to town. This one's close to nowhere, you have to take a cab everywhere, and as everybody well knows, they WON'T use meter.

Btw, if you're wondering about the golf-courses, all I can say is they look beautiful. Sorry, I don't golf, so can't tell you much.