“Get a can of Ridsect ready” 3 of 5 stars
Review of New York Hotel

You added New York Hotel to your Saves list
New York Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.22 Jalan Dato' Abdullah Tahir, Johor Bahru 80300, Malaysia   |
Ranked #44 of 84 Hotels in Johor Bahru
“Get a can of Ridsect ready”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

The last time I stayed here was early last year.
Was quite happy to see that there were changes in the room design and furnitures.
The floor now carpeted.
Bathroom, seems to be the same.
Better than before.
However, it was shocking to see cockroaches roaming freely on the carpet and furnitures.
That really turned me down.
The thoughts of these cockroaches enter my ears really worries me.
I killed more than 10 cockroaches on my first night.
Next day, I suggested the housekeeping staff and cleaning lady to spray the room with pesticides when I am not in my room in the afternoon.
Sadly, I saw one after i returned.
Relating my experience to the reception, they immediately relocate me to another room.
And boy! It was a big, nice and cozy room.
And not a sigle cockroach in site.
My perception changed immediately and hoping that my ordeal will not be experienced by another traveller like me.
Thumbs up for the receptionist, thumbs down for the cleaning lady and housekeeping staff.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

When it takes 20mins to get from ground floor to the 20th floor and vice versa, I say that's enough to deter me from coming back again. If not for work, this hotel will not be in my list of choice at all.

Rooms are large, and clean. Probably the only good think I will say about this hotel review now. But the rooms had very poor lighting and seriously, who puts half screen at the tub. An invalid will never be able to shower here unless they use the pipe beside the toilet. Even for someone who's able to use both feet, the fact that we'd have to climb awkwardly into the tub to shower, and then risk falling down as we have to again climg akwardly out of the already wet tub, it's basically a bathroom that welcomes accidents.

Aircond is another issue. You have to be someone who either loves it cold or warm. No middle grounds to it. It's obviously an old hotel that needs major refurbishing.

But coming back to the elevator. It took a good 2 mins to get from floor 19 to floor 20!!!! And was a very very slow agonising journey from ground floor. It screeches. It jerked. It was scary!

And then you have the biggest joke of a breakfast buffet. They served white rice and dishes on both days I was there! Seriously???? They had an egg counter that refused to make scrambled eggs. They had bad coffee. Oh, and they had steamed tapioca!!! Nasi Lemak was horror...rice porridge was bland. And to place cut blocks of butter into a bowl...there is simply no hygiene in that poor excuse of a coffeehouse.

I am so sorry, but I would NOT recommend anyone to stay here, nor will I ever come back.

Room Tip: If you desperately have to stay here, then take the lower rooms...the elevator is super scary!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Penang Island, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Stayed a night to attend an event held in the same building. Check-in was painful. Apparently, they misplaced my reservation and couldn't trace it even though it was explicitly confirmed.

The standard room was spacious and at 18th floor is quite a different experience. The room was clean and most importantly, the bathroom too. Mattress' a little too hard for my liking. Everything else was from another not-too-distant-era

Breakfast was fine. They forgot my newspaper!

There are a few eateries below and a mall 10 minutes walk away.

All in all, it was a good stay for me. Might just come back the next time I'm in Johor Bahru.

Room Tip: Stayed at a corner room so it's quiet but kinda "neglected" too with the newspaper iss...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Allen, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Good Lord! I get up to go to the toilet and discover my toiletry kit swarming with cockroaches! They scatter and hide in every crevice of the bag. It took me 30 minutes to rid the bag of them, only to check my luggage and find more!

I curse the people who booked me into this dive! What a freaking nightmare! When I complained to the manager he suddenly forgets how to speak English. I warn you, there is NO CHARM to this hell hole. Avoid at all costs!

Room Tip: Looking for a room in JB? Look somewhere else!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for the second time to celebrate our anniversary, it's quite an old hotel, room condition is fairly average but what we like most is the window view as it is among the tallest hotel in town with great view of the city be it night or day

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Sepang, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

the only reason why I'm giving everything very good is simply because it was CHEAP and near to Singapore entrance. for the price that I paid (below RM200) for 2 nights in a superior room, it was OK, didn't bother to try the pool, looked not convincing to me that time.

the breakfast was superb, however. let me tell you that - a lot of choices, not just nasi lemak and fried noodles.

while some complained about checking in (it was OK for me), i was having a problem checking out. it was not even by credit card, I gave full cash. but it was slow, so it was quite weird.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

I have chosen this hotel whenever I'm visiting Singapore for the past five years, and over the past five years I have witnessed the slow but sure deterioration of every aspect of this hotel. It is saddening, to be rating a hotel I would have rated as "good" five years ago as "poor" today.

One thing that has changed for sure is the availability of non-smoking rooms. This will prove to be a huge problem if you absolutely despise sleeping in a room that smells of smoke, or have children who are asthmatic.

Another thing that has changed (and this is a serious problem) is the quality of the bathroom. In essence, everything about it is designed to make you trip and fall, knock you unconscious, and send you to the nearest hospital. First off, the floor tiles are slippery. To add to that, I couldn't find bathroom slippers anywhere at all (these were provided years ago). Moreover, after a shower, it's highly likely you'll find the floor tiles quite wet, even if you're very careful, due to the poor design of the bathtub and the lack of shower curtains. Think about it - the floor tiles that are slippery enough as they are are now wet. How dangerous can this be?

There are many other flaws have surfaced over the years, such as the poor reception (for TV) and the equally poor WiFi connection. It also boggles my mind as to why checking-in always takes such a long time even though I am the only one checking-in at the time. Of course, none of these flaws are as serious as the bathroom problem, which in my opinion can really cause a death one day. Hopefully, the hotel management is reading this and will truly put in the effort to ensure that the bathrooms are safe before they become labelled as "cold-blooded murderers".

One good thing about this hotel that has yet to change over the past few years (and I hope it stays that way) is the breakfast. It is always a delight to have a wide spread of decent food for breakfast. However, make sure you are either really early or really late for breakfast, or else you'll have to wait around ten minutes before you can even find a lift that you can fit in, especially if you are staying in this hotel during a peak period.

It is my sincere hope that the hotel management will take a long, hard look at what has become of their property over the past five years, and make the decision to upgrade themselves before their hotel ultimately goes to ruins.

Room Tip: If you're going to have breakfast between 8:00 PM and 10:00 PM, during which you may have to wai...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family