“Nice hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of New York Hotel

You added New York Hotel to your Saves list
New York Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.22 Jalan Dato' Abdullah Tahir, Johor Bahru 80300, Malaysia   |
Ranked #36 of 78 Hotels in Johor Bahru
penang
“Nice hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Before i went there, i read all the reviews in here. But still i choose to book this hotel. Is this is one of the hotel that provide package to USS, Singapore. We reach earlier around 9.30 am. Where the check in are at 3pm. When i went to counter, they check and told me the room is ready and i can check in. I was relieved coz i was being unwell on a day before. So i wanted to have a rest a while before goin for sight seeing after lunch hour.

i book superior room with 1 extra single bed in 15th floor. the room was good /comfortable . i got 1 king size bed n 1 sofa bed and also they send us 1 single bed... even king bed was comfortable for 3 of us who in small shape. aircond was so cold even when we choose low.

i really satisfied with the room. although one person only one pillow.. hahaha

breakfast was lot of varierty. with malaysian food such as nasi lemak, macaroni , bread with all kind of jam n butter , salads with all kind of dressing , fruits , cornflakes, koko crunch with milk ,
the time i went they even have turkey ham slice and next day was sausages.

so am satisfied with the breakfast too....

the staff was friendly to us. they greet us everytime they meet us.

they also place 2 iron board n iron at every corner also sofa each level. but u can also call them to send the iron board n iron to your room.

infront of the hotel , have few restaurants for you to have meals . n mini market.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Darlington, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

A very poor quality hotel with a very old and worn feel about it. It's quite cheap to stay but that's the only plus point its got going for it. If your on a budget then there are worse places to stay I suppose but the thought of staying for any more than one night would make me rethink my plans. Check in and out takes a lifetime and the lifts seem to take ages to get to your floor. The rooms are clean with AC but mine just deposited a pool of water on the floor making a serious slipping hazard. The pool and gym are a joke with no outside sun terrace to enjoy the inevitable Malaysian sun. My advice is to look for an alternative hotel (there are plenty around) and see if you can scare up a deal if budget is your concern. Can't recommend the New York and wont stay again

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

It was raining from Malacca to Johor Bahru. Upon reaching the city it was alreay dark and the city is an unfamiliar place to me. My movement is by following Waze on my iPhone searching for this hotel.

The hotel is easily spotted since it is situated on a hilly area. However, the road going to the hotel is a bit confusing since there are a lot of junctions in between. Upon arriving there is a nice food outlet in front of the hotel and also within walking distance from the hotel.

Parking is not a problem. They have elevated parking and also open parking behind the hotel. I parked at the third floor and there is a lift serving the parking lot.

It is an old hotel but pretty well maintained. The lobby is spacious with the coffee house located next to the lobby. There is also a travel agent office and a small shop selling basic needs.

Checking in is simple but my advise is for you to place a booking. They have plenty of rooms but the number of guests here is very high. This is due to group booking by travel agents.

I was given triple room since the room with double bed is fully occupied. Upon entering the room which is located at the 14th floor it feels like entering a dorm. The room is long so as to accomodate the three single bed. There is a writing table big enough to place my laptop, books and reference article. The tv set is next to the wrinting table too far for comfort if you choose to sleep at the first bed.

Electrical switches is located in between the first and second bed. Even the air condition can be controlled from the switches.

The bathroom is equipped with bath tub and the usual amenities. Hot water is automatic from the main line and this eliminate the need to switch on the heater before going for a bath.

Their breakfast menu consists of local and international offerings. They also promote specific Johor local food such as the Laksa Johor r the Mee Kari during breakfast. However, if you stayed there for more than two days you will get bored with their breakfast buffet.

Their support staff is very helpful and accomodating. They quickly changed the seating arrangement in the seminar room when I inform them my requirement. The only setback is the seminar room is at the 22nd floor compared to other hotels which have their rooms at the lower level.

Their lunch buffet is also good. At least for the four days that I had lunch at the hotel, it was good to try out so many dishes local and international.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Alor Setar, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there during my business trip. Room is just ok and clean. However, lifts are limited (they only have 3 lifts operated) and took longer time waiting as i stayed at level 19. Breakfast have limited choice. Staffs are not so friendly. Check in/out was quite slow.

• Stayed May 2012
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Had to stay in New York hotel for work. What a terrible experience.

- non-smoking room has smell of cigarette smoke and an ashtray. When I asked the stuff, they told me ashtray is for decoration. (?)
- non-existent wifi.
- CRT TV with NO cable connection.
- breakfast too crowded and not enough stuff to clean cafeteria. Dropped food all over the floor.
- waited for 20 minutes for lift, all lifts crowded, as a result had to walk down 18 flights of stairs.
- shady spa.

I checked out after 1 night and change to another hotel.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else, really.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Little Rock, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Although the buffet isn't bad and the rooms are quite large, I was very turned off by the roach issue. After we complained, someone came to our room and sprayed and left us with roach poison. Two days later, it still smells like pesticide! I am a little concerned as we are on the fifteenth floor and still have so many roaches, which means that they're probably living in the walls. The room itself was roomy, but the bedding was very uncomfortable. My sheets were ripped and pillow felt like it was full of cotton balls! Also, the area isn't as active as other parts of the city. There is a mall nearby, but many of the stores are closed or closing and it's a cab ride away to get to the middle of the city. Honestly, I'd just choose somewhere else that is closer to the city and sans roaches.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

No concierge, but thought security man doubled as concierge, pull up at from of hotel, opened the tailgate to let him take our luggage, thought he took them out so I moved out to park my hired car on 3rd floor car park. To my shocking surprise , I the tailgate was still open and the two suitcases were still in it. So I took them out myself.
At reception, no welcoming and was made to wait for no explaination while the receptionist sort out her numerous paperwork. The first 30 sec impression from my point of view completely down the gutter. Finally, we were given our key to the room without further explaining of time and where for breakfast.
After dinner in town, we decided to explore the hotel and took the outside lift to the top floor advertised as ballroom, to our shocking surprise as the lift door open, we walk out into a pitch black area, I use my iPhone to find my way and managed to hold onto the lift and we went back into the same lift abut found the 20th floor(the floor where our room was) button did not work. Scarf and shocking, We got out of the lift and decide to call another lift but the same Lucy's door keep opening. I then press 10the floor button to sent the lift away, then using my iPhone to find the call lift button, soon after another lift came and ends our adventurous evening.
In the morning as we came down for breakfast around 8.30am - breakfast was ok. When we returned to our room at 9.30am, we were shock to find a maid was tidying our room but she left as soon as we cme, I always thought hotel do a total cleaning up after one set of guest leave which ensure the next set of guest get a full clean room. No wonder we found the tv remote not working, no spre toilet roll, few light bulbs not working. No attention to details and a fridge which is on but warm inside.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to New York Hotel? Share your experiences!