“"Walking distance to the checkpoint"” 4 of 5 stars

JA Residence Hotel
18 Jalan Wong Ah Fook, Johor Bahru 80000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #64 of 77 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“"Walking distance to the checkpoint"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

rooms and service was good, price is average and location is the best!

if anyone intend to drive to Johor and visit Singapore on a tight budget, you can parked your car in the hotel as the Johor checkpoint is just 2 minutes walking distance across the road.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This may be the worst hotel I've ever stayed in - anywhere in the world.

My husband, young daughter and I stayed here for 4 days-3 nights in September 2013. It was part business-part holiday. The room was paid for and we didn't want to incur extra cost of travel so we stayed put.

I've rated this hotel very badly because the room, lobby, hallways, lifts were dirty. Felt like the place needed a good vacuum and scrub. And the service was much less than satisfactory. I can't imagine coming back to this hotel.

We stayed in room 1803, it's a family room, I believe. It WAS a big room. But we found loose strands of hair, dirt, dust, sand... on the room floor. Please bring a pair of slippers to use when you are walking around in the room. The pillows smelt really bad. I would put a towel over it to sleep but the towels were dirty and yellow too.

The bathroom was probably the cleanest part of the room. There were moldy corners but it was dust and hair-free! Bring your own toiletries. And while you are at it, your own towels.

The saving grace is that the room was not carpeted. We didn't move to another hotel because this room had laminated floors. I checked online for other hotels nearby and realised most hotels around the area had bad reviews as well and that most had carpeted floors. Those with sinusitis would not appreciate that.

One day, I called housekeeping to come clean the room and change the towels. Housekeeping finally came, six hours later. I called the hotel reception using my cellphone to follow up with this request because the phone in the room did not work.

Saving grace for the hotel - its location. It's located in old Johor town with old shops surrounding it and is close to a big mall where you can find banks, restaurants, etc - about 3 blocks away. Please note, HOWEVER, that the area is a shady area and known for its crime. Even though the police station is located right behind JA Residence.

The restaurant in the hotel is only open for breakfast. We never had breakfast there. We bought cup noodles, bread and milk from nearby 7-Eleven for breakfast.

But wait, the lady at the reception counter was friendly. That's why I gave Service a rating above "Terrible".

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

I have go thru the review of tripadvisor so I know its not an ideal accommodation, but the hotel was booked by agent.
I was checked in at 10pm, when enter to the room is stinky, AC unable function probably, the bed sheet full with stains, and even the red color water mark.. so u will know that the house keeping nvr change the bed sheet at all.
Same to the bathroom, terrible cleanliness, no towel, shampoo, shower soap. They give us a connecting room but the door lock was spoiled.
I straight forward ask for check out and move another hotel at Mount Austin.

• Stayed October 2013
Damansara, Selangor, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

OMG..! This is the worst hotel I ever stayed with my family in JB, listed as 2 star hotel but the facilities are horrible.. the rooms are extremely in bad condition, carpets are old and stinks. When I complaint to the reception, they said there is nothing they can do about it, and not even trying to change my room, and the worst washroom ever! Imagine..it is worse than a public toilet! I will not recommend anyone to stay in this hotel unless u are willing to experience the horrible stay and having nightmare about it all.. Don't get cheated by the outer look of the hotel, definitely will not return to this hotel ever! Lousy..Hotel

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Probably the worst hotel that i have ever stayed in JB. Not worth your penny though it has such a fantastic location. They are in need of an extreme makeover. Pity as the hotel actually is rather tall and view from the high floor is magnificent. I shall not even comment on the breakfast as we checked out first thing in the morning the next day.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Labuan Island, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

It's an old hotel. The lobby and restaurant very small but the breakfast is quite okay. The room size is big but they need to renovate and repair everything. The bathroom also big but very dirty and look old. One thing I like about our room is the view.The window is big. The reason that we stayed here because our tour agency didn't give any other choices.

The best part staying in this hotel is it's very near to JB City Square and Bazar JB and also the Woodlands exit to Singapore. It's also easy for you to find food around here and there's lot money exchanger next to the hotel. Every place is only in walking distance.

• Stayed December 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

Arrived here at 2200 hrs. The car park is in the building but have to steered my car through a narrow opening to the lift which then lifted up the car to the parking floor. N ot suitable for suvs. Entered the room..pheww..it stinks.. airconditioning not working..have to wait for one hour to get it fixed.
Unpleasant odour emerged once the aircond switched on. Bathrooms dirty..shower corner filthy, with hairs stucked at the drainage. TV?? 16" CRT type and the remote control was not working! Requested then to park my car in front of the hotel and the receptionist asked me to remove the cones by myself!!
I wont consider this hotel again.. Initially planned for two nights stay but checked out next morning. Terrible...

• Stayed December 2012

Been to JA Residence Hotel? Share your experiences!