“Good Value” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mutiara Johor Bahru Hotel

You added Mutiara Johor Bahru Hotel to your Saves list
Mutiara Johor Bahru Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Dato Sulaiman, Taman Century, KB No. 779, Johor Bahru 80990, Malaysia   |
Ranked #9 of 82 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Singapore
“Good Value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Good value for money hotel. More appropriate for families compared to surrounding hotels. Spacious rooms with well kept furnishings. Parking space is safe as the security there is diligent. Mutiara is located next to an old mall which sells a lot of gadget accessories at really cheap prices! Anything that you wish from iPhone to Samsung accessories.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HPKhoo, General Manager at Mutiara Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Your kind comments regarding hotel’s services and amenities are much appreciated. We are happy that you and your family have enjoyed your stay with us and we shall certainly look forward to see you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Indonesian first
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This hotel I am informed is one of the best in JB, well it isn't. It is in a run down area, the staff are inefficient, sullen and not very friendly with Westerners. I was the only white female in the hotel on my business stay and I was constantly being stared at. I had to call the reception to get them to vacuum my room properly as there was rubbish at the back of the chair.

The internet is charged at $M25 per day and it is the slowest and most difficult internet I have ever had to connect and use. The member of staff who helped me connect was very helpful though. One or two of the main restaurant staff were also quite helpful as was the doorment, and the staff and food in the Chinese restaurant was very good,( the only reason to visit this hotel is the Chinese restaurant.) My weeks stay was miserable as I was told not to go out at night on my own. It was Ramadam, so couldn't get a seat in the main restaurant at night, so I didn't eat much except when I went to the Chinese restaurant there. There is a new hotel not far from there called KSL, that is where I will be staying next time for sure.

Breakfast was below average

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
HPKhoo, General Manager at Mutiara Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
We understand your frustration and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience we have caused you. Rest assured, we will address the issue as it is our goal to restore your confidence in our hotel. We believe nothing is more important than regaining the trust and all of us hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome and serve you again.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for 9 days, the staff were absolutely first class, friendly helpful and nothing was ever too much trouble.

My room was fine, although it was frustrating not to have wifi and then their server had an aversion to allowing Australian BigPond accounts to send mail. However the IT people tried their best to help.

The shower was slow to warm up and one had to run the water for a while before it came through.

The most annoying aspect of my whole stay was that with my room facing the swimming pool I was awoken every morning by the music being piped into the pool area. Surely this does not have to be played first thing in the morning? Having worked late every night this became incredibly annoying.

Amazingly this was more annoying than the fact that my air conditioner leaked twice during my stay and wet the carpet. The technical guys came and fixed it and were superb.

The Mutiara is a family hotel, everything about it is good but I found the staff to be the ones who made the stay special, their smiles, their willingness to help and they all seemed happy in their work, which is rare to see these days.

Room Tip: If you don't want to be woken up early ask for a room away from the pool.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
HPKhoo, General Manager at Mutiara Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
We truly appreciate the chance to offer you our services, and we are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Your continued patronage is a vital part of our growth and for that, we are most grateful.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We are upgraded to deluxe rooms when we checked in after 3 pm. However, only one room was ready out of three rooms that we booked. We only managed to get all the keys at 5 plus pm.

The rooms are clean and the service is prompt when I requested for extra towels and toiletries. However, I was upset on the first night as I was bitten by mosquitoes in the middle of the night and I could not go back to sleep as I heard mosquitoes buzzing in my ears. I have to climb out of the bed to search for mosquitoes patch and put it on me before going back to sleep. I thought it was only room but upon checking with my in-laws, I realized that there were also mosquitoes in her room as my nephew was also stung by mosquitoes in their room. This is not what I expected from Mutiara.

Due to the dangerous haze conditions, we had to stay in the hotel room a lot of time as we were not able to go to Legoland. We were disappointed that there was no wi-fi available in the rooms although we have iPhones and iPad. We have to go to the lobby or stay in the restaurant to use the wi-fi.

The buffet breakfast spread is average and they do try to make some changes in the menu every day. The coffee is fragrant. The waiters are helpful and friendly. Due to the haze, we had dinners at their Chinese restaurant, Meishan restaurant, for two consecutive nights. The food is delicious and the price was reasonable. The service was also good.

Although there were not many things for the kids to do in the hotel (the pool is too deep for them), they were able to entertain themselves by improvising it by swimming in the bath tub.

The location is good as it is near to KSL and Parkson so least we are able to do some shopping at the two places and also catch a movie.

The overall experience of staying in the hotel is not too bad despite our travel plan being disrupted but I do hope that if I were to stay here again, the will be no more mosquito bites and wi-fi is available in the rooms.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
It was a pleasure to have you as a guest at Mutiara Johor Bahru. Your positive comments are appreciated. Meanwhile, we will continue to improve on our services to meet guest’s expectations and we sincerely look forward to welcome you back soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

we manage to check in immediately around 3pm and we got our room right away, i guess they upgraded our room somehow but our room was the club room which I would say, i expected a bad condition but it turn out otherwise, the room was fantastic! clean & fluffy pillows, big screen TV. the room was fairly big for a 2 pax plus there's a bathtub in the toilet, however I would suggest the hotel to include the essential stuff like toothbrush, shaver in the bathroom instead of we required to call for it. Because they only placed shower cap and sewing kit in the toilet which we find not as important as toothbrush right?

However the location is good in the morning but night time its gets a bit dangerous, there wasnt a nearby 7-11, we gotta walk out to buy beers etc. It would be good if they have an 7-11 just opposite it.

but overall, thumbs up for the service and rooms!

would definately be back :)

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HPKhoo, General Manager at Mutiara Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Johor is sometimes visited by international travellers (non-Singapore) and some hotels are known for prostitutes etc. This is a family friendly option with all the usual 4 star items (pool, air con, internet (although wired in the rooms), eating options, buffet breakfasst etc. It is a bit tired and in need of a refurb but comfortable enough.

Room Tip: Pool side rooms are better, higher up.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you. We certainly look forward to your return trip to our hotel where we trust you will have a memorable experience.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed at Mutiara from 25th April to 28th April 2013. It was our 4th or 5th stay there.

My wife and I had stayed in several hotels in Johor before. Mutiara certainly has its virtues over other hotels in Johor Bahru.

Their rooms are good value for money, spacious and clean. The interior looks new too, should have been refurbished not long ago. Service is reasonably good, location is besides Holiday Plaza which used to be quite a popular place. I believed it lost its appeal after KSL is opened.

Service and room standards have been quite consistent throughout our several stays there. The hotel provided a good touch to our stay by sending us a complimentary birthday cake this time as we were celebrating my birthday in advance.

Everything has been fine until our last night stay. We were informed via a letter in the room about a power outage that day which was supposed to end around 6pm in the evening. However, when my wife and I returned around 10pm at night, power was still not restored. The staff were not certain when the power issue would be fixed.

We waited for another hour and decided to move to another hotel as the power is still not restored by 11pm. The hotel was kind enough to waive that particular night's charge. However, they seem to be quite ill-equipped to deal with such incidents.

However, Mutiara is still a good hotel in terms of its value for money, room, service and location. KSL Resort holds the best location in Johor, but the room standards and cleanliness are quite bad. It is also overpriced. Thistle Hotel has the best rooms, but the location is very inconvenient. Puteri Pacfic is no longer the same as the past. Everything has deteriorated.

Thus, despite what happened during this trip, Mutiara is still a good hotel in Johor if you are looking for a decent priced hotel with good room and service standards.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mutiara Johor Bahru Hotel? Share your experiences!