“Pleasant Stay:)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mutiara Johor Bahru Hotel

You added Mutiara Johor Bahru Hotel to your Saves list
Mutiara Johor Bahru Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Dato Sulaiman, Taman Century, KB No. 779, Johor Bahru 80990, Malaysia   |
Ranked #9 of 82 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Singapore
“Pleasant Stay:)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Check in on 22/12-24/12.
I have a pleasant stay in Mutiara Hotel.The hotel is clean and it located near shopping centre as well as spa.Holiday Plaza is just beside the hotel and KSL resort/mall just 10 min walking distance.The staff are friendly and helpful.On the second day I was sick and can't even walk,I called for assistant and the staff immediately went up to my room with wheelchair and bring me to the nearby clinic,and bring me back to the hotel again.I was pleased with their service and they were very efficient.That goes to their room service too,they are good.

For room wise,housekeeping can be say quite poor.My room is deluxe twin,when I check in my room,the bed is so untidy,the bedsheet is not properly tucked as well as the pillows.No tissue box on the table accept in the toilet.No bathrobe,no slipper and no praying matt(for muslim).Can't find door matt at that time,on 2nd day then realise it's on the upper side of the toilet bowl.

For shop within the hotel,it sucks cause it's open around 11.30am and mostly closed at 9.00-10.30pm.By the time i came back, it's already close.The lounge too closed at 1.00am.And the swimming pool close at 9.00pm.Overall I just not satisfy with the open and closing time of the hotel facilities/amenities.

Overall besides everything,I really like the hotel.Oh ya the room is spacious.The staff is great.

P.S.Hope Mutiara hotel do have internet cafe .Cause the wifi is not working at all.24 hour Billiard or Snooker.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HPKhoo, General Manager at Mutiara Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
It was a pleasure to have you as a guest at Mutiara Johor Bahru. Your positive comments are appreciated. Meanwhile, we will continue to improve on our services to meet guest’s expectations and we sincerely look forward to welcome you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I only have 2 words to describe this hotel. Ultimate disappointment.

My sister recommended me to stay there as she said that the service is good and the rooms are spacious. Therefore, I heeded her advise n stayed there on 15 Dec for 1 night.

I made the reservation on their website for a Superior Twin. As we have a total of 2 adults and 2 kids, and according to their website it should have 2 Queen Size beds. Therefore, I booked it approximately 2 weeks before my stay, and was quite impressed that they send a 2nd confirmation a day before my check-in which even some 5-stars hotel I stayed beforw doesn't have such services.

However, the day when I check-in to the hotel at 3.05pm, I was told the room was not ready n have to wait for another 30mins. I demanded an explanation from the staff as it was stated that the check-in time is AT 3pm, but the staff said it should be AFTER 3pm. I told her it was ridiculous! What if the after 3pm I have to wait until 4 or 5pm?? I made a big fuss at the reception counter, and the staffs there obviously doesn't know or even wasn't train how to handle any dispute customer. They keep asking me to wait for their Duty Manager. Ok fine, I waited....and waited....and waited....until 10-15mins and no Duty Manager came or even my room was still not ready! So I told my husband I doesn't want to waste my time anymore and we left our luggage at the hotel reception counter and was given a number tag.

We returned back to the hotel at 9.30pm and the check-in was very fast and efficient. And then, my anger came back again when I saw my room was a SUPERIOR KING. I called the Reception Counter and make the enquiry and was told that I requested for a King Size bed. When the hell did I made any request AT ALL! I screw up the staff again and as usual they pushed the responsibility to the Duty Manager and said there is nothing they can do. Then the Duty Manager keep saying that I did not make any request when I do a reservation online. But isn't it obvious that a Superior Twin should consists of 2 beds and a Superior King consists of 1 big bed?? But fine. They can't changed my room as their rooms are all fully booked. So kind enough for the Duty Manager to provide me with an extra bed and a baby cot at no extra charges.

But seriously, the Hotel Management should provide more trainings for their staff of how to handle such cases and not just pushing it to the Duty Manager. When I was making a big fuss at the counter, all the staffs were avoiding and doesn't dare to come near us to resolve the issue. They even avoided eye contact with me. I wouldn't say the staffs are rude, but they should really learn how to handle such customers. The hotel is very value for money, and I wouldn't fault anything wrong about the hotel in terms of cleanliness, amenities, etc. But the staffs really need room for improvement and I mean there are still way ahead things they should learn.

• Stayed December 2012
HPKhoo, General Manager at Mutiara Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
We sincerely apologized for the inconvenience that you have experienced. Corrective measures have been taken to improve on hotel’s services and we are grateful that valued guest like yourself have taken precious time to provide feedback. We believe nothing is more important than regaining the trust of our guest, and all of us hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome and serve you again.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in Dec 2012. Took the 7th Floor Deluxe King Room in Tebrau Wing as we had 2 kids with us. Room was large and comfortable with a view of JB suburbs. Though it is right next to a railway track, we hardly heard any noise. Stay was comfortable. The heater system in the bathroom comes with a childlock. Their bed was soft and blankets kept us warm.

The hotel is a 5mins drive to the JB city centre, where it is more happening. And the main road leading to the hotel (Jalan Dato Sulaiman) gets congested during peak hours. The hotel is surrounded by terrace houses, shopping malls and food court, all contributing to the congestion. The food stalls and ATM machines are just within walking distance. There is also KFC and MCDonalds outlets nearby.

Customer service however can be improved. Though we arrived by 3pm (check-in time) we were allowed in only at 4.20pm. We were asked to go for lunch first. All we wanted to do was freshen up after a 5-hour journey. There was no apology and explanation. So we walked out for lunch - we didn't receive any call to inform us that the room was ready although we left our numbers. When we returned from lunch, we waited another 10 mins. The least we expected was a welcome, but none was offered.

The hotel does not have a children's pool. There is however one small toddler pool. The internet service is not free; it is RM10 for one hour. Room service is fast and efficient. Their toiletries include comb, sewing kit and shaver. You can access Singapore TV channels.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HPKhoo, General Manager at Mutiara Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
We are delighted to have you stayed with us recently. We have taken note of your comments and will continue to improve on our services to meet guest’s expectations. Meanwhile, we sincerely look forward to welcome you back soon.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

To what I know, this hotel has been around for more than 20 years and it seems like they had refurbished but am not sure how long ago. It still is a comfortable hotel although rooms could do with another round of refurbishing, assuming they have done it once before.

Service is mostly pleasant at front desk and breakfast spread is not too bad. Room is comfortable with decent bedding quality. Room amenities are also acceptable.

Only things that irked me was the drainage at the shower area and sink. The hairdryer provided initially was a 500 watt unit, which took me forever to dry my hair but after requesting for that to be changed, the hotel sent me one that was 1000 watt the very day itself. Also, the aircond temperature couldn't be controlled. It was freezing whether at 20, 25 or 30 degree.

But generally I have no complaints about this hotel. Am satisfied and would say that although not to the best of standards internationally, this is perhaps one of the better hotels in Johor Bahru.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HPKhoo, General Manager at Mutiara Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I booked executive room with club lounge access. This to ease my business trip. There's only few hotel facilate with club lounge in Johor bahru. This is the first time I stay in this hotel. I was upgraded to one of their suite call "mutiara suite" with no additional charges.

The newly refurbish suite was spacious and it come with living hall, dining area etc. However, it is a smoking room. I'm quite surprise that hotel nowsday still providing smoking room. I still can breath the smoky air in the room, although the clean the toiletries are quite limited. There's no lotion and hair comb! The king size bed look aged and less comfortable compare to new bedding. The bed linen as well as pillow do have smoky smell.

And we ordered the room service. The western food selection are limited. You will be suprice that you can't find sirloin steak or lamb shank in 4 star hotel

The evening cocktail in club lounge for me is more to light refreshment. I didn't see any beverages serving around. End up we just had cup of hot coffee. I strongly recommend hotel managnt to improve their club lounge service and quality of food seriously.

Overall, there's room to improve, and I would be glad to stay here again after the changes.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us recently and we are grateful that valued guest like yourself have taken precious time to provide feedback. We have taken note of your comments and would do our utmost to provide better quality services to meet guest’s expectations. We sincerely hope to welcome you back to Mutiara Johor Bahru soon.
Subang Jaya, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My previous trip to JBahru was six years ago and last weekend I stayed in Mutiara for two nights. The very minute I step in the hotel, I feel so welcome and I see the smiling face of the staff. At the hotel, whether at the lobby or inside the room, is tip top clean.
Excellent service from the staff whether at the front desk or the the outlets.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
We are delighted that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us. Your kind comments are much appreciated. It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back to our 'home-away-from-home comfort'.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I first stayed at this hotel when it was the Holiday Inn which was many years ago. I stay here whenever I am in JB as it services my needs very well. It is close to eating places; it has comfortable rooms; it hasvery friendly staff who seem somehow to remember your name and it has good internet connection (via wire) in the rooms. the place is very clean and tidy and, i think it offers the best in business travel in the region. It is always a pleasure it stay here.

Room Tip: I always ask for a "club room" as they come with a larger office space and the use of the...